PDA

View Full Version : Basketball movie review: "Heart of the Game"

thunderbird1245
09-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure this is the appropriate place for this topic, but I wanted to tell all you basketball junkies out there that there is a small new independent film out called "Heart of the Game" now out in limited release that was an excellent basketball documentary/film.

The story is of an inner city Seattle high school girls basketball team that is taken over by an inexperienced and unorthodox new coach. The team, school, and neighborhood is energized by the radical new system and motivational techniques this new coach (who as his main occupation is a tax professor at a local college) implements at Roosevelt High School.

The coach is "out there" to say the least, but he is successful, and the story is told documentary style (this is a true story after all) with live films taken by the movie maker over the course of a six year span. Without going into too much detail, needless to say this coach and his players are forced to deal with many academic and social issues thru out each season, and experience both great victories and crushing defeats. It isnt hokey or contrived or made up, this is real drama happening to real kids, played out in empty gyms in practice, and in front of hundreds and then thousands of fans watching in person and on television as they advance further into their state tournament each year.

If you are like me, you may not always agree with everything the coach says or does, but you will understand and appreciate the unmitigated passion and dedication he gives to his girls and to his program to teach them lessons about life and themselves. Its a really well done and good story, that if you are a true sap and basketball junkie ( like me also) that you might want to take it in somewhere, if you can find it showing in your area.

I think the very fact that it is a documentary makes it better, unlike some of the "Hollywood" effect that so many sports movies are given these days. You see these kids, coaches, fans, and parents very own raw and real emotions in so many different situations, and the coaches unorthodox solutions to solving many of them. Good movie if you are a parent of teen daughters, have ever coached, or even been a fan.

Go out and see it while you can everyone, it isnt the kind of high budget star laden film that will be on long probably.....and its a story worth hearing about I think.

Tbird

P.S. Yes, I know a guy who goes out midweek to watch a movie about girls high school basketball probably needs to get a life, but trust me, take my word and go see it anyway lol.

Roy Munson
09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Now we get movie reviews from you.

I'm waiting for your 5000 word essay on the history of the loose ball foul.

mboyle1313
09-21-2006, 02:46 PM
All,

I have seen this documentary and I second Thunderbird's sentiments. As a rule, I don't care for sports movies, but this is a documentary and it is exceptionally well done.

I highly recommend it.

MJB

Los Angeles
09-21-2006, 03:05 PM
It's on my list for sure.

Hicks
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
I remember hearing/reading about it a while ago, and I'd like to see it.