PDA

View Full Version : What Elements Will Create Better Chemistry? {Pacers.com 9.21.06}

Frank Slade
09-21-2006, 11:10 AM
What Elements Will Create Better Chemistry?

Thursday, Sept. 21

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. It's been widely mentioned that the chemistry will be better this year, but why is this true? Of all the people on the team last year, I would not have guessed (Austin) Croshere, Peja (Stojakovic), (Scot) Pollard, (Anthony) Johnson or (Eddie) Gill to be bad "chemistry" guys. And with all the new players, it would seem hard to estimate any sort of chemistry, good or bad. What changes do you believe have caused this chemistry improvement? (From Rob in North Richland Hills, TX)

A. The belief chemistry will improve stems not so much from departed personnel as a renewal of spirit within the team fabric. Having been through two hellish years, the Pacers players and coaches have basically vowed to start fresh this season.

Stephen Jackson's recent comments in a Q&A with Pacers.com reflect the overall team mindset: there's been a lot of soul-searching going on and the players very much feel like they have things to prove both individually and collectively.

The Pacers have taken some big hits and the time has come to begin reclaiming their good name, and all involved know that must be done as a group.

Of course, personnel will factor into the change. Consider this, for example: the Pacers are entering the season without Ron Artest on the roster, which eliminates a carnival of distractions. In his place is Al Harrington, who not only is an extremely talented player in the prime of his career, but a coveted free agent who wanted very much to be here – not to be the show, but to play his part. That has immense meaning to his teammates.

Harrington, Darrell Armstrong, Marquis Daniels and Maceo Baston all are class acts and positive guys in the locker room. This is not to suggest those who departed were not, by any means, but rather that new faces and voices will give the locker room a fresh feel after what became a very stale situation last season.

There also has been an infusion of youth and athleticism that will bring a vitality to the atmosphere. Throw in a new offensive approach that should be more enjoyable for players and fans a like and ultimately lead to more success and the renewed commitment to Coach Rick Carlisle manifest in his pending contract extension, and you have a number of circumstances that should lead to better chemistry. With so much positive energy, the Pacers can't help but feel recharged

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060921.html)

ChicagoJ
09-21-2006, 12:34 PM
In other words, we couldn't dump the malcontents so we're putting the right words in their mouths and hoping the improved attitude from the second unit wears off on the starters.

YIPPPEEEE!!!!

imawhat
09-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I just hope they can 'weather the storm', because there will be one. Early.

Bball
09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow... I was expecting a much better answer when I read the question.

Unfortunately, maybe there's not a better answer.

I'm afraid we're going to have to wait and see if a group of players who've shown no intestinal fortitude and little collective maturity can find some and realize a team's sum should be greater than it's parts.

IF it comes squarely on the new players to somehow show the core this, then, Virginia, we have a problem.

-Bball

ABADays
09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Just act like a professional. That takes care of most things.

Putnam
09-21-2006, 01:07 PM
C'mon Jay. It doesn't cost anything extra to be a sunshiner. Anyway, I think Bruno's article is right, not just from a PR standpoint, but from a realistic beginning-of-the-season perspective. The slate really IS clean. I don't have a very high expectation for this team, but I'm confident they'll be more fun than last season.

I don't think Stephen Jackson is very smart, but he is smart enough to see the advantage of straightening up his act. I don't think Rick Carlisle is as great a brain-box as many on Pacers Digest think he is, but he's smart enough to know what he's got to do this year. (Just to clarify, Carlisle is certainly smart. I have no delusions and mean no disrespect to him. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know. I just don't know if he is one of the 4-5 smartest men in basketball, as his supporters claim.) David Harrison just isn't very smart, but maybe even he can learn to Just Stand There.

There also has been an infusion of youth and athleticism that will bring a vitality to the atmosphere. Throw in a new offensive approach that should be more enjoyable for players and fans a like and ultimately lead to more success and the renewed commitment to Coach Rick Carlisle manifest in his pending contract extension, and you have a number of circumstances that should lead to better chemistry.

It's so crazy, it just might work!!

JayRedd
09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
I don't think Stephen Jackson is very smart, but he is smart enough to see the advantage of straightening up his act.

As stated in the other thread.....I'm sure Jax knows he should behave better. I think he really wants to. I just don't think he will.

Speed
09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
C'mon Jay. It doesn't cost anything extra to be a sunshiner. Anyway, I think Bruno's article is right, not just from a PR standpoint, but from a realistic beginning-of-the-season perspective. The slate really IS clean. I don't have a very high expectation for this team, but I'm confident they'll be more fun than last season.

I don't think Stephen Jackson is very smart, but he is smart enough to see the advantage of straightening up his act. I don't think Rick Carlisle is as great a brain-box as many on Pacers Digest think he is, but he's smart enough to know what he's got to do this year. David Harrison just isn't very smart, but maybe even he can learn to Just Stand There.

It's so crazy, it just might work!!

This, I agree with. It's not that they all came back from the mountain all wise and omniscient, it's more that they learned that fire is hot, theoretically speaking, and I need to stop putting my hand on the stove.

Fresh start could make this fun, but even if everything goes perfect chemistry wise next year, we'll be sitting here realizing they don't have enough talent, but at least you know where your at w/o all the BS dragging down the whole product.

They've talked about for years, well we need to evaluate it after so an so gets healthy or so and so comes back, its never happened. TPTB haven't known what they have had since the year before the brawl. That's what I look forward to, seeing where we REALLY are.

Naptown_Seth
09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Just act like a professional. That takes care of most things.
Just win, that fixes ALL things.

new faces and voices will give the locker room a fresh feel after what became a very stale situation last season.
I think this is a bigger factor than its being given credit. First off, Peja wasn't a "positive" influence. He sat in the playoffs even. He didn't care for defense and clearly was in "just get me paid" mode. Ask Sacto about his chemistry considering how much better they got when Ron showed up and how well he and Webber got along.

AJ, while I like his game for what it is, was very vocal about his issues with the team, and that went back several years. Actually SarJas remains and he's very similar.

AC was that locker room guy that "fixed" everything with his meeting, yet somehow that all went south shortly after. I doubt his impact was as big as people wanted it to be.

Besides, the biggest impact to on-court chemistry is people playing and the biggest impact off court is a never settled lineup or rotation. Fred and AC's injuries didn't help that any more than JO or Tinsley's.

They needed a more reliable and complimentary set of bench players. They got that. And JO and Tinsley being 60-70 games healthy should have a dramatic impact on the chemistry issues.

Hicks
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
In other words, we couldn't dump the malcontents so we're putting the right words in their mouths and hoping the improved attitude from the second unit wears off on the starters.

YIPPPEEEE!!!!

Meh. I'm tired of taking the cynic's view on this team. I choose to believe what he's saying, more or less. I think this year will be closer to 2004 than '05 and '06. Ron being gone from Day 1 being reasons' 1-5.

pizza guy
09-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't know about all this stuff...if I want better chemistry I'd ask my chem. teacher, Mr. Kiester.

If you want the team to get along better, then what we have done is a good step in that direction. Moving SJax, IMO, would have been a VERY good step, but alas...Here's to hopin' that he straightens up and plays nice! :buddies:

ChicagoJ
09-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Just win, that fixes ALL things.

That's just not true.

It can be a bandaid, that's true. As it was for most of 2003-04 when the chemistry was bad but the team was winning anyway.

But that team struggled at two different times that season - late during the Kenny Anderson era (when Artest was benched for 'conduct detrimental to winning in the NJ game), and then again in the playoffs (when Artest had his famous meltdown against Miami that stretched into the Detroit series.)

Nobody believes the chemisty was magically better just because they were winning. As soon as the winning was less-constant the chemistry problems (and Ron's problems) resumed, at full strength.

For another case in point, look at the Lakers, circa 2000-2003. All that winning never fixed the chemistry for them, either.

ChicagoJ
09-21-2006, 06:00 PM
C'mon Jay. It doesn't cost anything extra to be a sunshiner.

Sure it does, it costs a lot of disappointment later on when you find out your pessimism - that you chose to ignore - was right in the first place. When they show me improvement then I'll start to rally behind them. Too many core players and coaches are still here for me to believe that a "clean slate" is sufficient. Especially when many of the main culprits have repeatedly shown a tendencey to revert to dysfunctional behavior when the going gets tough.

I don't think Stephen Jackson is very smart, but he is smart enough to see the advantage of straightening up his act.

He sure didn't see the advantage of straightening up his act last spring. I'm not sure he gets (nor does he deserve to get) a clean slate with the paying fans. I'm not giving him one - he'll have to earn a clean slate with vastly improved behavior and if he's gone before he proves it then I'm even happier.

I'm not remotely interested in what they have to say, I want to see them prove they're fixing the me-first, uncoachable behaviors that have plagued this team for at least the last four seasons. I read this article solely because I thought Conrad would have a different/ more compelling answer. I still don't believe that changing a whole bunch of bench players, only one starter, and only the #1 assistant coach is enough to fix the team's culture. Of course, I think the off-season shakeup should've started with management and the coach, so that doesn't exactly give me any confidence that they're serious about fixing the problem yet. I do believe Al and Daniels can help, but more changes are still needed, IMO.

vapacersfan
09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Wow... I was expecting a much better answer when I read the question.

Unfortunately, maybe there's not a better answer.

I'm afraid we're going to have to wait and see if a group of players who've shown no intestinal fortitude and little collective maturity can find some and realize a team's sum should be greater than it's parts.

IF it comes squarely on the new players to somehow show the core this, then, Virginia, we have a problem.

-Bball

:laugh:

I have no clue why I find that so funny, but that was hilarious.

Of course, VA has always had problems, but thats an issue for another thread

_________

As for the QOTD, I was really hoping to read a better answer then I did. This is going to be a very interesting year, and for our sakes I hope that it turns out to be a "good" interesting....

bulldog
09-21-2006, 11:41 PM
I think this is a bigger factor than its being given credit. First off, Peja wasn't a "positive" influence. He sat in the playoffs even. He didn't care for defense and clearly was in "just get me paid" mode. Ask Sacto about his chemistry considering how much better they got when Ron showed up and how well he and Webber got along.

AJ, while I like his game for what it is, was very vocal about his issues with the team, and that went back several years. Actually SarJas remains and he's very similar.

AC was that locker room guy that "fixed" everything with his meeting, yet somehow that all went south shortly after. I doubt his impact was as big as people wanted it to be.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. These guys got a lot of credit despite the fact they weren't necessarily good locker room presences.

We need to keep guys healthy, define some roles as the season goes on, and have people settle into a rotation. I worry about Runi vs. Tins, particularly if Tins is sitting out games and Runi is starting.

Essentially, I'm saying health is critical to our chemistry.

ChicagoJ
09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. These guys got a lot of credit despite the fact they weren't necessarily good locker room presences.

We need to keep guys healthy, define some roles as the season goes on, and have people settle into a rotation. I worry about Runi vs. Tins, particularly if Tins is sitting out games and Runi is starting.

Essentially, I'm saying health is critical to our chemistry.

Good point. I think the Tinsley- JO- SJax- Harrington chemistry should better than the [AJ/Saras- JO- SJax- Croshere- Peja] chemistry.

I'm not sure SJax is bad for "chemistry".

Arcadian
09-22-2006, 02:22 PM
I think in Al and Armstrong we will have stronger leadership personalities in the lockerroom and that will help in the team buying into the system.

Maybe one of the biggest problems has been that the team has never really bought into Rick's system.