PDA

View Full Version : How far are the Pacers from title contention? {Pacers.com 9.20.06}

Frank Slade
09-20-2006, 01:15 PM
How far are the Pacers from title contention?

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/trophy_330_fan.jpg
A fan points to the prize the Pacers have their eyes on:
the NBA Championship trophy

Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. How far are the Pacers from contending for a championship? What are the missing pieces, if any? (From Rooz in Chicago)

A. The simple, albeit incomplete, answer is this: they're much closer than they were at the end of last season. Just how far away that leaves them is a subject for quite a bit of speculation. Because of the negatives that have overwhelmed the past couple of seasons, the positives presented by the current roster sometimes are forgotten.

Offensively, there is a strong primary option (Jermaine O'Neal) and two very good secondary options (Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson), as well as depth and diversity of attack that should be magnified by the more liberal system. The primary area of concern lies with inside-outside balance because of the relative lack of proven 3-point shooting.

Defensively, there is much more to like about the ability to generate pressure at the point of attack with the continued emergence of Danny Granger and the additions of Marquis Daniels, James White and Darrell Armstrong. Inside, there is a nice combination of size and strength, with ample shot-blocking augmented by the addition of Maceo Baston.

The hot buttons begin with chemistry. Ultimately, this should be a much more focused and compatible team but because of the large amount of turnover it's bound to take some time for the new personalities to mesh.

The change in offensive approach also will require some early patience while players and coaches alike make the necessary adjustments both mental and technical.

And it all quite naturally hinges on health, particularly that of O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley.

This season is taking on a feel much like that of 1993-94, when the Pacers were in a state of transition and endured some inevitable early difficulties but got stronger as the season wore on. By the end of the year, they were not only a very entertaining team to watch but a legitimate contender with a bright future.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060920.html)

For me the 93-94 season was one of, if not the most memorable.
I would be elated to say the least if this team were to have that type of year.

DisplacedKnick
09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I read that - and I think I immediately contracted diabetes.

_PD_
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
We need all of our top 10 guys, they need to be healthy,
AND
we need an all-star in the backcourt.

It doesn't count if Jax2 or tinman become all-stars. :laugh:

Alpolloloco
09-20-2006, 02:36 PM
We need all of our top 10 guys, they need to be healthy,
AND
we need an all-star in the backcourt .....

and his name is Sarunas Jasikevicius!

ChicagoJ
09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Weren't we 0-8 at the beginning of the 93/94 season?

Can you imagine the attitude around PD if that happened?

EDIT we started 1-6 that season.

Frank Slade
09-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Weren't we 0-8 at the beginning of the 93/94 season?

Can you imagine the attitude around PD if that happened?

Total anarchy :melodrama

I recall we were 16-23 before winning the last seven games leading up to the All-Star Break.

Isaac
09-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I was just thinking about the comparisons to this team and the 94 team right before I read this article.

I'm glad I'm not going crazy.

aero
09-20-2006, 03:01 PM

indeed it is :D

imawhat
09-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Total anarchy :melodrama

I recall we were 16-23 before winning the last seven games leading up to the All-Star Break.

I remember being somewhat energized even when they had that record. They had a few really tough losses in one stretch, but there was a sea change of sorts. You couldn't really see it, but you could tell something was different. You knew they were going to turn it around, and quickly.

ajbry
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM

^ This is your brain on drugs...

I agree with Conrad - if JO and Tins stay healthy, there's no telling where we can go. However, we all know the likelihood of that happening.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
to be contending champion team good shoooting guard aka r.miller and defense play artest and inside scorer oneal and brad miller that be title team but we screwed that up

Kegboy
09-20-2006, 04:15 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/trophy_330_fan.jpg

That's not who I think it is, is it?

I'm pretty sure it is not. Not enough paraphenalia

Spicoli
09-20-2006, 04:22 PM

Was wondering the same thing..........

_PD_
09-20-2006, 04:26 PM

I thought he was murdered during the brawl. :laugh:

Eindar
09-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Was wondering the same thing..........

That makes 3 of us, then :D

JayRedd
09-20-2006, 11:37 PM

Nah....Turtle is too busy filming the new season of Entourage to pose with trophies.

MagicRat
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM

I don't think so.....

Roy Munson
09-21-2006, 01:05 PM
That Conrad response rose to a new level of Q.O.D. absurdity.

JayRedd
09-21-2006, 01:07 PM
That Conrad response rose to a new level of Q.O.D. absurdity.

Yeah....my only response would have been "Pretty Far" and "Better Players"

Putnam
09-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah....my only response would have been "Pretty Far" and "Better Players"

That is so profound.

vapacersfan
09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
That makes 3 of us, then :D

That makes 4 of us.

I like vodka

ChicagoJ
09-22-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't think so.....

Don't you still have the picture of you-know-who with his infamous headband, for comparative purposes?

I don't think its Sassan, but I can see the similarity.

But I thought one of his various stories was that he'd never been to Indiana. Isn't that picture from Conseco Fieldhouse. Of course, its hard to separate his facts from his fiction. Maybe, when he was in the military, he was stationed at Grissom AFB. :shrug:

(PS, does anyone else think of him everytime they see a billboard or ad for "My Name is Earl"? That's the way I live my life now.)