PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle to receive extention

Jer_Freak
09-20-2006, 04:47 AM
Indianapolis Star - Team president Larry Bird said the Pacers (http://pacers.realgm.com/) will give head coach Rick Carlisle a contract extension and it likely will happen before training camp opens Oct 3, according to Mike Wells of the Indiana (http://pacers.realgm.com/)polis Star.

"We're going to get it taken care of," Bird said. "You like to get that kind of stuff taken care of so you can move on."

Carlisle, who was entering the final season of a four-year deal, declined comment when reached by phone Tuesday. There was some question about whether Carlisle would receive an extension after the Pacers (http://pacers.realgm.com/) finished 41-41 and were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season.

LINK (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/42273/20060920/carlisle_to_receive_extension/)

Sorry if it's been posted but i'm not sure if this is a good idea we should atleast wait until we see how Rick does but either way i'll support it aslong as the Pacers are.

Hicks
09-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Here's the direct IS link:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060920/SPORTS04/609200516/1088

Interesting at the end that Bird says we're headed to camp with the 18 players we have.

Kegboy
09-20-2006, 07:05 AM
"We're confident with the players we have right now," Bird said. "We can make trades later if we need to. The guys that we have now have been working hard this summer."

So the question, as always, is are they really happy with Jack and Jamaal or were they unable to get trades to their liking?

Jer_Freak
09-20-2006, 07:33 AM
So the question, as always, is are they really happy with Jack and Jamaal or were they unable to get trades to their liking?

I think they never were that motivated to trade Jack as it seemed to be. i think Jackson is gonna shock alot of people this year his attitude will be different and i think he will play at another level. as far as Tinsley goes we will receive junk if we trade him, so IMHO Bird said no way i will just hope he gets healthy. because Bird thinks hes a Top 10 PG if hes healthy but the question remains "He never is...".

if someone does get traded it will be Jeff Foster most likely. for a shooter or a Back-up C.

heywoode
09-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm fine with him getting an extension if it eases his mind and takes pressure off of the situation. It's not like he can't be fired at any time anyway....I would guess that the extension would contain how much he is owed if he gets fired. That is where I would hedge a little bit and try to limit how much the Pacers have to pay him to go away...

Having said that, I think this is a great opportunity for Carlisle to show that he can adapt. At the end of the day, he is a quality coach that has some flaws, but if he can recognize them and move past them, using the talent we have to the fullest, I am fine with him being the coach for a long period of time. I think not having a change in coaches only adds to the stability and continuity of the team.

LG33
09-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I doubt we'll be able to trade Foster for a backup center...that is, without trading down because, after all, he is a backup center on most teams.

Doug
09-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, I think they either had to give him an extension or fire him, and if they were going to fire him they likely would have done it earlier. So I guess I'm not surprised.

Unclebuck
09-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Yeh this shouldn't surprise anyone, Donnie said they were going to give him an extension in his press conference that I believe was back in July

FlavaDave
09-20-2006, 09:08 AM
I wonder if Bird was waiting to see if a coach he likes is fired from another team? That might explain why he waited so long.

Either way, I'm thrilled to have my boy Rick in the fold.

blanket
09-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Interesting at the end that Bird says we're headed to camp with the 18 players we have.

I'd be surprised if we end up just cutting 3 players in order to get to the max 15 man roster before the season starts. We may cut 1 or 2, but I fully expect SOME trade to happen, even if it's a player or two for a 2nd round pick.

DisplacedKnick
09-20-2006, 09:58 AM
If NBA GM's are smart they'll start writing buy-outs into their coach contracts.

Of course for the first couple that will probably **** off the coach.

The details of this will be very interesting - if it's a 1-year extension, then Rick's on probation. If it's for 3 then TPTB will be thinking the train wreck of the last two years isn't much his fault - which I happen to agree with.

Eindar
09-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I wonder if Bird was waiting to see if a coach he likes is fired from another team? That might explain why he waited so long.

Either way, I'm thrilled to have my boy Rick in the fold.

I think this is highly likely, in addition to looking at some coaches without jobs or current college coaches. Let's face it, Rick has some flaws, and this year we're going to see if he's capable of overcoming his biggest perceived flaw, which is his unwillingness to adapt. Having said that, however, we also have to acknowledge that he's a very good coach, and you never want to downgrade a position that you have no salary cap restrictions on. So I think if they were going to fire him, it would only be if they could get a guy like Larry Brown, maybe Jeff Van Gundy, or someone along those lines.

It makes me laugh that there was a stretch of time where Jeff Van Gundy, George Karl, Mike Fratello, and Scott Skiles were all without jobs at the same time. If that was the case today, I might take a look at one of those guys over Carlisle, but I don't see anyone out there that makes me interested in canning Rick.

Isaac
09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
I am VERY interested to see how long this contract lasts for. If it is 3 years I think we will hire Darrell Armstrong as an assistant when he retires and then at the end of Carlisles contract Armstrong will step in as the new head.

If it is any longer then 3 years, then I don't think we have that plan in mind at this particular time.

FlavaDave
09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
The details of this will be very interesting - if it's a 1-year extension, then Rick's on probation.

If it's only for one year, it wouldn't really be an extension, would it?

:-p

grace
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM
"We're confident with the players we have right now," Bird said. "We can make trades later if we need to. The guys that we have now have been working hard this summer."

Well, considering Al's trade took 2 months to complete you better be working on one now. That trade deadline will be here before you know it.

Jermaniac
09-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Are you f'n serious an extension?

Fool
09-20-2006, 12:13 PM
The only reason I don't think this is a bad idea, is because it doesn't count against the cap.

tdubb03
09-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I dunno if it's been said, but even with the extension the brass could still just fire him. Sure they'd have to buy him out but so what. It's probably just to make Rick feel more comfortable this season.

bulldog
09-20-2006, 12:42 PM
An extension will certainly help him deal with some of the guys on the team, even if he still can get fired.
If Runi, Tins, or Jax misbehave or mouth off again he has some leverage. If Carlisle didn't have an extension Jax could've periodically kicked him and the crotch and he wouldn't have been able to do anything.

thunderbird1245
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I dont understand why everyone thinks this is news....the Pacers have said they would do this repeatedly since mid summer, and Walsh himself said a few weeks ago that they hoped to have an extension done with RC before camp....so why is this being treated as a surprise or breaking news today?

And for those of you who didnt want RC to recieve this extension and were in the "let's wait and see how he does" camp, that was a strategy that was ripe to be a distraction for a team that, lets face it, is somewhat fragile mentally anyway. Teams that begin seasons in pro sports with a lame duck coach almost never succeed, because after every loss the questions come from the media and fans, and soon it becomes a dark cloud that hangs over a team. We couldnt afford to go into a season with uncertainty in the coaching staff, we likely arent good enough to overcome it.

And in the one case I can think of in the NBA recently, which was Seattle and Nate McMillan, they opted to have him coach as a lame duck as well. McMillan responded by having a great season, then due to that success became a hot coaching commodity, got a big contract elsewhere, and left Seattle and made them look like fools.....which is partly why they've been stuck with having guys like Bob Weiss and Bob Hill coaching them while missing the playoffs.

Either way, having a lame duck coach in today's NBA is likely a recipe for disaster. And besides, I feel like RC is one of the top coaches in the NBA anyway, so we needed to retain him.

By the way, as I stated the last time we had this discussion, Im guessing he got a 2 year extension with 2 separate option years after that, and it will be announced as a 4 year deal....time will tell whether I'm right on how TPTB puts it together.

JMO

Roy Munson
09-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I dont understand why everyone thinks this is news....the Pacers have said they would do this repeatedly since mid summer, and Walsh himself said a few weeks ago that they hoped to have an extension done with RC before camp....so why is this being treated as a surprise or breaking news today?

Right. I've NEVER heard of an NBA front office ever taking any action that wasn't exactly in line with the information that they were putting out to the public. I've never heard of an NBA front office using subterfuge.

From now on, I'll just rely on the Pacers public statements for a heads up on all signings, extensions, trades and draft picks.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
09-20-2006, 04:25 PM
whatever abt coach contract all i want is a title

AesopRockOn
09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Why do people think Darell Armstrong is going to coach our team?

Fool
09-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I would like to know that as well. Did I miss a report or something?

Hicks
09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
I've read Darrell being talked about similarly to how they talked about Avery Johnson just before he retired: He's practically an assistant coach now, he's interested in being one, and he's showing signs of knowing what the hell he's doing. So, now that he's ending his career in Indiana, hopefully he becomes buddies with Donnie/Larry/Simons, and he sticks around to be an assistant, and to eventually take over from Rick.

larry
09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
I thought at times over the last year Rick had to go. However, we now have made enough moves (in my opinion) to erase the negative vibes hanging over the Pacer franchise. I think this move is going to basically say that we are going to hold the players responsible for their own actions. This gives Rick a little power to play with. Coaching a team should be and usually is a power position. The NBA is an exception to this rule. I think it will actually be good to let the players know who the boss is. I'm still wondering if we really think J.T. can stay healthy or if he is still being shopped. Who would want him? I think dealing A.J. (who has proven to be superior) signals we are looking for a passing point.

McKeyFan
09-20-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm a little bummed.

I like how Larry was holding Rick to the fire a bit. I would like to have seen this season play out with no extension.

Oh well . . .

BlueNGold
09-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I take this as bad news. RC wins games and players have some level of respect for him, but they either don't like playing for him or are indifferent. This happened to some extent in Detroit and has happened here in Indy. I think Larry is standing by his boy and making another mistake. I am not too sure about Bird's competence as an exec. Hopefully they don't pose for any magazine covers.....

Unclebuck
09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Why do people think Darell Armstrong is going to coach our team?

I don't have the slightest idea. I mean DA was not a very smart player like Avery

JayRedd
09-20-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm a little bummed.

I like how Larry was holding Rick to the fire a bit. I would like to have seen this season play out with no extension.

Oh well . . .

No matter how you feel about Rick, this is a good thing. You can't have a "lame duck" coach. Bird and the Don could still fire him whenever, this just lets the players know that Rick is the coach of this team and they have to respect him. It's really more of a message and a show of front-office support than a real long-term commitment. If we end up winning 35 games, he'll be gone regardless of any extension. It's not like he won a 4-year term in office here. They'll just buy him out for a pretty low sum.

Naptown_Seth
09-21-2006, 03:12 AM
If NBA GM's are smart they'll start writing buy-outs into their coach contracts.

Of course for the first couple that will probably **** off the coach.

The details of this will be very interesting - if it's a 1-year extension, then Rick's on probation. If it's for 3 then TPTB will be thinking the train wreck of the last two years isn't much his fault - which I happen to agree with.
I strongly agree with it not being his fault. Heck, just the idea that ONLY getting to the 2nd and then 1st round with 200 games lost and then something well over 100 (maybe closer to 150, I forget) lost last year is considered a train wreck says quite a bit about why RC got an extension.

Sorry, but when you lose every starter for 15 or more games and give up well over 100 total games from the starting lineup, you are supposed to win 20, period. I can't think of an exception. Heck, PHX only lost Amare and were expected to tank. Not sure how Pacers fans balance that view with expecting a title run with the roster situations of the last 2 seasons.

I guess some like to blame Rick for the brawl or the injuries, though Ron confronted Riley, broke a camera and missed ton of games for flagrant fouls BEFORE Rick came to town.

Rinuven
09-21-2006, 07:55 AM
[quote=Eindar;474004] Let's face it, Rick has some flaws, and this year we're going to see if he's capable of overcoming his biggest perceived flaw, which is his unwillingness to adapt. quote]

This has been brought up a few times, and I question where it coming from. How many different starting line-ups, how many missed games because of injury? Yet we STILL have made the playoffs each year and were competitive throughout. I don't know how much better at adapting can one guy be. I think Rick's biggest strength is his ability to to come up with game plans that capitalize on the talent he has available. He's not flashy, he's conservative, but effective.

Bball
09-21-2006, 01:03 PM
As I've always said...
Rick Carlisle is a very good coach... except when he's not.

-

It would be crazy to expect him to coach this bunch without an extension, OTOH it's probably crazy to expect him to coach this bunch in the first place. Afterall, he lost the team last year and the core returns. That's a pretty big question mark right there. Is Al coming here already on Carlisle's side... or at least with an open mind? Or does he already have a certain belief about Carlisle? Who does he side with at the first sign of trouble?

I'm not sure what is news about this 'upcoming' extension. It's pretty much all been said before. If you really think about it the headline and angle should be "Carlisle Still Hasn't Gotten an Extension (though team officials claim it is still on the agenda)"

-Bball