PDA

View Full Version : Sampson has big supporter in IU alumnus Cuban

RoboHicks
09-20-2006, 04:04 AM
Indiana University alumnus Mark Cuban made it clear Tuesday he backs new IU basketball coach Kelvin Sampson, who already is dealing with NCAA sanctions for improper telephone contact with recruits while he was ... http://www.topix.net/pics/rssx.gif

More... (http://topix.net/r/0sgB2ypc4UiiNybykHsA8fRk1q0zMTvEdnG0872XzIREGwsMvW lZ5nKBsYlPZWSWKBfmRJwJKvfSIi6kPRTnbRdYXHkhBHWyDhTh pU9W7cVVSowCFR2KZ4nbagd5cGeeF=2BjAAg9lQGEVIRHFEIXu eWONWDK8zx2QtP=2BesNvgIgoI=3D)

Eindar
09-20-2006, 10:27 AM
It's a bold move by IU, but a good one. Sampson is an excellent coach, and, given time, I think he'll make IU a top 15 team again.

LoneGranger33
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
I never knew Mark Cuban was an IU guy...I always figured him more of a Seattle area type...

tdubb03
09-20-2006, 12:36 PM
It's a bold move by IU, but a good one. Sampson is an excellent coach, and, given time, I think he'll make IU a top 15 team again.

I think it was a horrible choice. And they took far too long to make it. But we'll see.

Slick Pinkham
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I never knew Mark Cuban was an IU guy...I always figured him more of a Seattle area type...

He's a Pittsburgh native, he went to IU because it was the cheapest tuition among top 20 business schools.

He didn't grow up with lot of money.

He made his billions on the simple idea of streaming radio over the web so that he could still listen to IU basketball when out-of-state. The idea became broadcast.com, which yahoo bought out for billions.

t1hs0n
09-20-2006, 04:23 PM
He's a Pittsburgh native, he went to IU because it was the cheapest tuition among top 20 business schools.

He didn't grow up with lot of money.

He made his billions on the simple idea of streaming radio over the web so that he could still listen to IU basketball when out-of-state. The idea became broadcast.com, which yahoo bought out for billions.

As a side note, Both Simon brothers also matriculated at IU Bloomington.

BoomBaby31
09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
I think it was a horrible choice. And they took far too long to make it. But we'll see.

How can anything be considered a horrible choice after, hiring a guy like Mike Davis? I think it is a wonderful choice AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T BRING new sancantions into I.U.

tdubb03
09-20-2006, 09:08 PM
How can anything be considered a horrible choice after, hiring a guy like Mike Davis? I think it is a wonderful choice AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T BRING new sancantions into I.U.

Who were the going to give the job BUT Davis? Remember all the players threatening to transfer if he wasn't given the job?

I'm not saying Sampson's a bad coach, he isn't, he's a very good one. And all the sanction stuff is of no importance to me, it's from trival stuff. Sampson reminds me a lot of Gene Keady really in some ways. Doesn't get top-tier talent, but teaches them to play hard and win games. Sampson's made one Final 4 I think. Consistent 20 win seasons and tournament berths are a step up for IU currently I suppose, but I'd question anyone who thinks Sampson's the guy who'll bring IU back to national prominence.

Matt Painter at Purdue however, I love that hire. And the way they brought him in.

PacerMan
09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Sampson's a sleaze bag and Cuban is an idiot. Perfect match at iu. :)

Unclebuck
09-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I like what he said about Marquis Daniels

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060920&Category=SPORTS0601&ArtNo=609200457&SectionCat=SPORTS&Template=printart

Sampson has big supporter in IU alumnus Cuban
By Curt Cavin

curt.cavin@indystar.com
September 20, 2006

Indiana University alumnus Mark Cuban made it clear Tuesday he backs new IU basketball coach Kelvin Sampson, who already is dealing with NCAA sanctions for improper telephone contact with recruits while he was at Oklahoma.

"I'm very supportive," the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner said following his keynote address at a Junior Achievement function at an Indianapolis hotel. "Very supportive."

Sampson, who also attended the Downtown luncheon, took some ribbing from Cuban. The two were to travel together back to Bloomington on Tuesday night.

They have been friends since the Mavericks acquired Eduardo Najera, a former player of Sampson's at Oklahoma, in 2000.

"Eddie always spoke so highly of (Sampson)," Cuban said. "Then when we brought Kelvin to some Mavs games, I got to talk to him. We became friends."

Sampson didn't mind Cuban getting laughs at his expense during the 20-minute speech before a crowd estimated at 800.

"(He was) just poking fun," Sampson said.

Among the other subjects Cuban addressed:
On the Mavs trading Marquis Daniels to Indiana for Austin Croshere:
"I think it's a win-win for both teams. Indianapolis will love Marquis. He's a great kid, a great dad, and he's great in the community. He's a pleasure to be around."

On how he learned to be a good businessman:
"I was told that when you sit down for a business meeting, always look for the sucker (at the table). If you don't see him, it's you."
On his own motivation:
"There's always some 12-year-old boy or girl out there trying to kick my (rear) with a new idea."
On why he didn't marry until age 44:
"I had a lot of girlfriends who said, 'It's me or your business.' They turned into ex-girlfriends very quickly."

microwave_oven
09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
I bet those ex-girlfriends are feeling pretty stupid right now.

Leisure Suit Larry
09-21-2006, 02:04 PM
I like what he said about Marquis Daniels

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060920&Category=SPORTS0601&ArtNo=609200457&SectionCat=SPORTS&Template=printart

Sampson has big supporter in IU alumnus Cuban
By Curt Cavin

curt.cavin@indystar.com
September 20, 2006

Indiana University alumnus Mark Cuban made it clear Tuesday he backs new IU basketball coach Kelvin Sampson, who already is dealing with NCAA sanctions for improper telephone contact with recruits while he was at Oklahoma.

"I'm very supportive," the outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner said following his keynote address at a Junior Achievement function at an Indianapolis hotel. "Very supportive."

Sampson, who also attended the Downtown luncheon, took some ribbing from Cuban. The two were to travel together back to Bloomington on Tuesday night.

They have been friends since the Mavericks acquired Eduardo Najera, a former player of Sampson's at Oklahoma, in 2000.

"Eddie always spoke so highly of (Sampson)," Cuban said. "Then when we brought Kelvin to some Mavs games, I got to talk to him. We became friends."

Sampson didn't mind Cuban getting laughs at his expense during the 20-minute speech before a crowd estimated at 800.

"(He was) just poking fun," Sampson said.

Among the other subjects Cuban addressed:
On the Mavs trading Marquis Daniels to Indiana for Austin Croshere:
"I think it's a win-win for both teams. Indianapolis will love Marquis. He's a great kid, a great dad, and he's great in the community. He's a pleasure to be around."

On how he learned to be a good businessman:
"I was told that when you sit down for a business meeting, always look for the sucker (at the table). If you don't see him, it's you."
On his own motivation:
"There's always some 12-year-old boy or girl out there trying to kick my (rear) with a new idea."
On why he didn't marry until age 44:
"I had a lot of girlfriends who said, 'It's me or your business.' They turned into ex-girlfriends very quickly."

I met him and was right there when he gave this interview.