PDA

View Full Version : Best game

Romsey31
09-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, whats the best NBA game you ever attended? for guys like me who've never been to a game whats the best NBA game you ever watched? I'd also like to know which Pacer arena you prefer and why. Living so far away, I've never gotten a chance to go to a NBA game so your replies will be very interesting to me. Thanks guys

imawhat
09-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Best game I've attended was 1994 playoffs, second round, Pacers vs. Hawks Game 4. I'd gone to Game 3 as well, but that game was insanely loud. I think Game 6 of that series would've been better, had I gone.

I also went to Game 6 vs. the Knicks that year; the game where we would've been in the Finals had we won. The Pregame atmosphere was insane. I remember the arena speakers outside of MSA. Before the game, the announcement said this (I swear):"After the Pacers beat the Knicks tonight, tickets for the NBA Finals will go on sale this Saturday".

There are two more events that I wouldn't really count as games, but they were just as memorable. I went to the pregame celebration of the Eastern Conference Finals, Game 1 vs. Knicks, 1999 in the Market. That always stuck with me, as well as Game 2 vs. Lakers, NBA Finals, 2000. The game was in Los Angeles, but it was viewable in Conseco Fieldhouse. They lost the game, but it was fun to watch.

Which arena do I prefer? I hate to say it, because Conseco is unbelievable, but I highly prefer Market Square Arena. MSA got so loud. I've never been to a more aesthetically pleasing arena than Conseco, but it just doesn't come close to the electricity in the air at MSA, which is much more important to me.

ROCislandWarrior
09-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Pacers vs. Pistons

Eastern Conference Finals Game 1

Drove down from Milwaukee with my buddy to watch my favorite player sink the game winner...I will never forget chest bumping random people after that shot went down.

Drove back to Miltown that night and got pulled over for speeding in Indiana.

The state trooper saw all of the Pacers gear in our van and let us go.

Thank god Indiana is a basketball state!!!

I go to alot of Bucks games in Milwaukee and I have been to Conseco twice.

Conseco is 100x the stadium that the Bradley Center is. We need a new arena up here but it seems like people really don't want to pay after we funded Miller Park (One hell of a ballpark) and our Brewers tank the second half of the season year after year.

That is why I am rooting for the Bucks, if their young talent pans out over the next few years, people will gladly pay for a new arena.

Isaac
09-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Conseco is 100x the stadium that the Bradley Center is. We need a new arena up here but it seems like people really don't want to pay after we funded Miller Park (One hell of a ballpark) and our Brewers tank the second half of the season year after year.

Yeah, I go to Milwaukee somewhat often for Pacers games, because its an easy drive living in Chicago. The Bradley Center is a complete dump, especially when compared to Conseco. However, I think I like it a little bit more then the United Center which is the worst stadium I've ever been to.

The best game I was ever at is very simple to me. Game 4 of the 98 ECF against the Bulls when Reggie knocked down the 3 at the end of the game to get the win. Although I don't think I've ever had a worse near heart attack then after all of that celebrating when MJs shot rimmed in and out. We were all jumping up and down and screaming and then MJ almost deflated all the air out of all of us. I'm so glad that shot rimmed out, even though we lost the series anyway.

pacers31tc
09-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I agree with ROCisland about Conseco vs. the Bradley Center, but maybe I just don't like Bradley b/c I saw us lose their twice last season. I've been to Conseco 4 times and the Bradley Center twice. Never made it to Market Square b/c that was before I was able to make the drive up from Arkansas.

Best game I've been to that the Pacers won was 2nd Round, Game 2 vs. Heat in '04. Wade was very good, but Reggie was better, scoring 19 points in 19 minutes or something like that, and hitting a 3 in Eddie Jones' face at the halftime buzzer.

Best game I've been to that the Pacers lost was in the Pyramid in Memphis, Spring '03. Reggie missed a 3 from one corner, got his own rebound, dribbled to the opposite corner and drilled a 3 at the buzzer to send the game to OT... then we lost. Good game though.

imawhat
09-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Best game I've been to that the Pacers won was 2nd Round, Game 2 vs. Heat in '04. Wade was very good, but Reggie was better, scoring 19 points in 19 minutes or something like that, and hitting a 3 in Eddie Jones' face at the halftime buzzer.

I think that was Wade's 'coming out' game. He hadn't really played at that level until then.

pacers31tc
09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I think that was Wade's 'coming out' game. He hadn't really played at that level until then.

Yeah, he was fantastic. I remember my friend saying "Look out for them next year, that guy's going to be awesome." Sure enough, and just a couple years later he took the Heat to a championship.

sweabs
09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I've made the trip to Indiana twice to watch a total of 3 games. I must say, there is no better venue out there than Conseco Fieldhouse. But...there's just something about winning on the road against your rivals. Maybe that's the "Reggie" in me speaking; but my favourite game that I have ever attended in person has to be one that took place in Detroit, at the Palace.

It was the 2004 NBA Playoffs, Eastern Conference Finals. If you can recall, Game 1 was when we beat Detroit at home thanks to the late-game heroics of none other than #31. Game 2, however, was Rasheed's famous "guaranteed victory", which left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. So we were going to Detroit with the series tied at 1-1, losing home-court advantage. Low and behold, we end up losing Game 3...and the Pistons take a 2-1 lead.

Well, I was fortunate enough to attend Game 4 at the Palace. It was my first playoff game ever...and it's true, there is nothing like playoff basketball live. It's just so different, but there's no way of describing it.

I was decked out in every piece of Pacers gear I own, from head to toe. I was called every name in the book from our opponent's fans. It was awesome. There's nothing like playoff basketball.

This was the game where we decided to go ahead and start Croshere. He played great, and was crucial to the victory (especially with Jermaine going down early on with that brutal hyper-extended knee injury). For a moment, I thought our chances were done. But we kept going and going - pushing until the end.

This was also that game in which Reggie was lining up for 3, and Ronnie just started walking back with 3 fingers in the air not even bothering to watch (as the ball swished through the net perfectly). Man, I had so much fun at that game.

It was a great feeling - after walking into the building with people taunting me from every direction, I left the building to the sound of complete silence. As I passed the occassional Pacer fan on the way out, we exchanged high-5's and left with a great deal of optimism.

Final Score: 83-68 Pacers.

DisplacedKnick
09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
1994 Game 6 ECF.

Even though I got a beer shower and some pretty, uh, "interesting" comments thrown my way it was great.

The April game 2 years ago where Sweetney tipped in the Marbury miss at the end of OT wasn't bad either but regular season can never match up to playoffs.

I also got to pretend to be a Pacer fan two years ago at game 3 of the Detroit series. That was wierd - but kind of cool.

efx
09-19-2006, 04:00 PM
The Knicks game against the Pacers in the garden a couple of years ago when Reggie scored 31 and getting all those wonderful bogus calls and falling into spike lees lap. That was so much fun, because it was also my dads first nba game (he came over from sweden) so it was quite an introduction.

grace
09-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Nov. 20, 2004 against Orlando.

O.K, maybe it's not the best game ever, but it's the last one I remember enjoying (even if the Pacers did lose).

imawhat
09-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Nov. 20, 2004 against Orlando.

O.K, maybe it's not the best game ever, but it's the last one I remember enjoying (even if the Pacers did lose).

That's probably my favorite reg. season game. That was basketball being played the right way.

Lord Helmet
09-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Pacers vs. Pistons

Eastern Conference Finals Game 1

Drove down from Milwaukee with my buddy to watch my favorite player sink the game winner...I will never forget chest bumping random people after that shot went down.

Drove back to Miltown that night and got pulled over for speeding in Indiana.

The state trooper saw all of the Pacers gear in our van and let us go.

Thank god Indiana is a basketball state!!!

I go to alot of Bucks games in Milwaukee and I have been to Conseco twice.

That is why I am rooting for the Bucks, if their young talent pans out over the next few years, people will gladly pay for a new arena.
I'll have to agree with you on that one.

It was so much fun and I will remember it for the rest of my life. I actually got to see a "Miller Moment" in the playoffs. It was great.

Most of the best games I went to were during that 03-04 season with the playoffs included, too.

I miss that season.....:(

Jon Theodore
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
I got to see Reggie push jordan and drain that three, one of the realer moments in my life cycle.

Isaac
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I got to see Reggie push jordan and drain that three, one of the realer moments in my life cycle.

That's the one I mentioned too. What a great atmosphere.

Trader Joe
09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Pacers v. Pistons game 1 is up there, but when it comes to pure heart and emotion you can't beat the Magic game the night after the brawl. 6 players and we damn near took those *******s down and probably would have if Hill didn't go off. Never have I seen a group of players play with so much heart and never have I seen a fan base cheer like there was no tomorrow.

In terms of just purely being memorable tho, Reggie's last game against the PIstons will always stick in my head.

cariocapacer
09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I attended the Pacers first home
NBA game vs. the Celts. They lost in overtime. Havelicheck scored like 17th in the 4th to bring the Celts back.

jjbjjbjjb
09-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Best game I've attended was 1994 playoffs, second round, Pacers vs. Hawks Game 4. I'd gone to Game 3 as well, but that game was insanely loud. I think Game 6 of that series would've been better, had I gone.

Odd that you should mention that game, for it would be my choice as well. That was the game with the Kenny Williams dunk, no? The run or sequence of plays leading up to that dunk, had it been plotted out by someone intending to drive the crowd over the edge of bliss, could not have been any more effective than it was in...well, in driving the crowd over the edge of bliss. In a big blue-and-gold Pacers happy bus.

Second choice, 1994 1st round Game 3 against the Magic. There was a moment where Reggie hit a shot to put the Pacers up by about 10 with maybe five minutes to go, the Magic called timeout, and Reggie just stood there on the sideline with his arms up. This set off a collective realization that the series was over and the Pacers were finally going to the second round, and THAT led to a realization that Indianapolis had a winner on its hands. It was a confusing sensation, but very, very, very enjoyable.

Which arena do I prefer? I hate to say it, because Conseco is unbelievable, but I highly prefer Market Square Arena. MSA got so loud. I've never been to a more aesthetically pleasing arena than Conseco, but it just doesn't come close to the electricity in the air at MSA, which is much more important to me.

With this I also agree, and for the exact same reasons.

Naptown_Seth
09-21-2006, 02:50 AM
That's probably my favorite reg. season game. That was basketball being played the right way.
Really?

Edwards was horrifyingly awful, I had no idea he was that bad before then. Gill was his typical CBA self. And Fred Jones was literally the only offensive threat the team could go to in the 4th.

With Gill's inablity to bring the ball up Fred was forced to go into Kobe/AI supermode in which he brought it up, passed to Gill so he could then play "PG" on the play, and promptly passed right back to Fred so he could drive right off a screen. Croshere went 3-12 and Gill was 3-10. The team had a TOTAL of 8 assists. EIGHT. That's not good ball, that's a freaking nightmare of bad offense.

The game was inspiring in that somehow Rick almost pulled out a win, but that in no way qualified as good basketball on the whole. And yes I was there, not watching on TV. I left feeling good about the effort but also thinking "this team is really F'd" after seeing what they had to offer without Jack, JO, and Ron (and Tinsley out that night). What helped them that night was Francis playing some really awful ball himself.

I'd say that game 3 vs Detroit in the playoffs that year was a lot more enjoyable and featured Foster getting a huge ovation before the game for his game 2 effort in a win, which he then backed with another solid outing for the last win of Reggie's career.

Heck, just a few nights later in the game vs Boston when Tinsley returned you saw dramatically better play. James Jones outplayed Paul Pierce head to head and Tinsley went bezerk against Payton who normally has given him fits. They doubled their assists from just a few nights before and crushed the Celtics on the glass. JJ and Fred had double doubles, Tinsley went 11-19 for 29 AND had 6 assists and 4 steals as well.

It just proves to me how much people let expectations cloud their judgement and play selective with their memory.

BTW, I answered this at the Star already, and my choice for attended Pacers game was Game 4 vs Boston in 1992. Chuck and Reggie gave us our first shot at seeing the Pacers with a chance to win a series. Game 5 vs LA in 2000 was my 2nd because it brought back hope and laid the wood to the Lakers in a way the fans badly needed.

Unfortunately I lived out of town during the 98 and 99 runs, and my coaching committments kept me from seeing anything in the 94 and 95 runs (which sucked, but coaching was worth it). After attending so many bad playoff games year after year, the two years I can't go they go off. I even got to go to the 96 game 5...figures.

Oh, another great night was the home opener for Conseco vs Boston. First night nearly anyone other than the very priviledged had been in the place (wasn't used for pre-season) and it was a special night for fans, everyone's jaws were dropping with all the details and history on display. I flew back just for that game and it was more than worth it.

LoneGranger33
09-21-2006, 09:01 AM
My favorite game experience ever was the first Pacers game I ever went to, against the Knicks in the 1994 playoffs, which is described in the following words ON THE KNICKS CURRENT WEBSITE:

GAME FIVE (June 1 @ MSG): Of all the “Reggie Games”, this is the most memorable of them all... Reggie scores 25 of his game-high 39 points in the fourth quarter as Pacers take a 3-2 series lead with comeback 93-86 win before stunned MSG crowd... Reggie nails five three-pointers in the fourth quarter (then an NBA record, since broken by Antoine Walker), and his 25 points in the fourth fall four shy of one-quarter Playoff mark... Knicks came into the fourth quarter with a 70-58 lead. But Pacers seized control of the game with a 14-0 fourth quarter run, with Reggie scoring 10 of the 14 points... Reggie went 6-for-11 from Downtown on the night... Pacers had lost 11 straight at the Garden (combined reg. season+Playoffs) coming into the game.

The best part of the whole thing was how we got the tickets. The tickets were left on a bus, and, since one of my relatives was with the NJ Transit Authority, she took the tickets - no one came to claim them, and the rest was history.

BTW - My dad forgot his 15 pound pager in the stands on the way out, so we were allowed to take the service elevator, and guess who was in there. I'll assume you guessed in the brief space between sentences or while reading the part I just wrote: it was Spike Lee! I was 8 years old back then and all I remember was that I was almost his height. Nothing can top that experience for me. Not even when I went to Boston to see a playoff game (under the guise of "looking at colleges" nonetheless, which is probably why I ended up here at BC) and the drunk Celtic fans were screaming "You're a *bleeping* has-been to Tim Hardaway!" two rows behind me. Fortunately, there was no way Mr. Hardaway could have heard them.

Unclebuck
09-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best game I've ever seen. 1995 game 4 ECF against the Orlando Magic on Memorial day afternoon. 4 lead changes in the last 25 seconds. Shaq going 0-8 from the free throw line, what more could you ask for. That was the best game I've ever seen and I've been to every home NBA playoff game except for 1981

McClintic Sphere
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
You are my hero, rcarey.

imawhat
09-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Really?

Yes. They were playing the right way (effort and heart), not the best way (execution). And given the players they had available, they couldn't've played much better. Doesn't make it great basketball, but I sure wasn't expecting that to happen.

ChicagoJ
09-21-2006, 12:53 PM
my choice for attended Pacers game was Game 4 vs Boston in 1992. Chuck and Reggie gave us our first shot at seeing the Pacers with a chance to win a series.

We've actually done this at PD a few times (but I don't have time to dig up the links) and that's always my answer.

MSA was never louder than the 1991 playoffs, game #4 in particular. When Chuck stole that pass and drilled the three over Bird - then took a lap around the court beating his chest, I thought the roof might cave in. Like UB, until I moved to Chicago during the 2000 NBA Finals I attended nearly every Pacers playoff game. 1994 and 1995 were loud, but not *that* loud.

You've got two typos. In 1992, the Celtics swept us. And Reggie was a minor factor in both of those playoff series. 1991 was all about Chuck vs. Larry. In 1992, Micheal Williams made John Bagley look all-world :shudder: , Bird didn't play, and Kevin Gamble spent all his energy shutting down the Rifleman (whereas Bird was content with a shootout the previous year.)