PDA

View Full Version : Question for Oldies and Young Fans....

Jer_Freak
09-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Do you cry in basketball after a lose, or even a joyful cry? i know Basketball is only a game but does it mean more to you then " just a game"? i ask this because i wanna know how much people dedicate there pride for sports and which ones take the game so seriously because i know i do..

Hicks
09-18-2006, 06:55 AM
You mean as a fan? I don't think I've ever cried over a loss, not even Game 6 against the Bulls, Knicks, and Lakers from '98-2000 or Game 6 against Detroit.

Now, if you'd asked if I got frustrated and/or angry.....

Mac_Daddy
09-18-2006, 06:59 AM
I've never cried after a game because of a win or loss. I've been depressed and elated, but not enough to cry. I did shed a few tears during Reggie's ceremony after the Bulls game, though.

RWB
09-18-2006, 07:41 AM
No, I'm not happy but never considered stabbing a Bulls fan.

aero
09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
the only times ive cried was when it was Reggie's last game when we got knocked out of the playoffs, then when they retired his number thats the only times ive cried

Major Cold
09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I Cried when IU was beat by Duke in the playoffs about a decade or so ago. I cried, but I was also like 12

Isaac
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
I am a very emotional sports fan. Untill I was maybe 14 I cried every year the Pacers got eliminated. I cried hard after Reggies last game.

I cried tears of happiness when the White Sox won the world series, and I shed a tear this morning when I realized that it was almost impossible for them to return to the playoffs.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2006, 10:55 AM
I cried at Reggie's last game and when my highschoool team (i was on the team..not a fan) was knocked out of the tourney. atleast we made it to the elite 8. Only 2 times I've ever cried for basketball.

grace
09-18-2006, 11:20 AM
I cried my freshman year in high school when our undefeated football team lost in the championship game. :sob:

I would have cried my senior year when our basketball team lost in the first game of the sectionals. I didn't cry because I was too shocked to do anything but stand there with a blank stare as I watched the other team celebrate. :pissed:

ChicagoJ
09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
There were tears streaming down my face at the end of the 2000 Finals, because I knew that team had run its course.

And there were tears of joy when

<=====

Jerome held up the Super Bowl trophy last winter.

So yes, I'm an emotional fan. But I try to save it for the "big" moments.

I need help, don't I? :blush:

Unclebuck
09-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I was very emotional when the Pacers beat the Magic in 1994 first round of the playoffs. I had so many emotions welling up inside me I probably shed a tear just because I needed some sort of release.

I've never cried over a loss, or at sad times.

Moses
09-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Can't say I've ever cried at any loss on any of my favorite teams.

Kstat
09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
hell no.

naptown
09-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Never shed a tear as a fan. Have unleashed and string of obscenities. But I will say that with every win I am in a better mood and with every loss I am a bit more melancholy.

As a player yeah I shed a tear the final game I played. Not so much because we lost, but because I knew it was over.

And I did get teary eyed during Reggies retirement.

N8R
09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I shed a few tears after the final buzzer in 1999 for the knicks in the Finals.

ABADays
09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I cry before, during and after. What can I say? I'm just an emotional guy! But I cry like a man - not like Adam Morrison :-p

pacers31tc
09-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I've cried a bunch of times.

The worst was after the First Round Game 1 loss to the Celtics in '03. We were a 3 and they were a 6, but after Paul Pierce broke the FT record and all I just had a really bad feeling about the series and I cried like a baby.

After Reggie barely missed that 3 in OT in Game 4 of the Finals I threw a bunch of crap around the house b/c I was so pissed. Thankfully, my mom understood the situation and cleaned it all up.

I didn't cry for Reggie's last game (although I had cried about his impending retirement and have cried over it since then too), but my mom, girlfriend, and little sister cried for the last few minutes of the game and the postgame.

You're right, basketball is an emotional sport.

8.9_seconds
09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I love the game, of course I do.

Jer_Freak
09-18-2006, 06:18 PM
I've cried a bunch of times.

The worst was after the First Round Game 1 loss to the Celtics in '03. We were a 3 and they were a 6, but after Paul Pierce broke the FT record and all I just had a really bad feeling about the series and I cried like a baby.

After Reggie barely missed that 3 in OT in Game 4 of the Finals I threw a bunch of crap around the house b/c I was so pissed. Thankfully, my mom understood the situation and cleaned it all up.

I didn't cry for Reggie's last game (although I had cried about his impending retirement and have cried over it since then too), but my mom, girlfriend, and little sister cried for the last few minutes of the game and the postgame.

You're right, basketball is an emotional sport.

It is a emotional sport, you can't say the same for Football. sometimes when people don't cry there still crying inside there heart and they don't want to show it. its been times were i couldn't get out of the house for a week because the Pacers lost a game especially when they lost a playoff series.

RON ARTEST
09-18-2006, 06:55 PM
i think of it as more than a game and i have shed a couple tears after kings losses, especially game 4 and seven against the lakers and game 7 in 2004 against the T-wolves. my parents always tell me its just a game and not to get to emotional because its just basketball but i dont think that way when it comes to my sacramento kings.

Kstat
09-18-2006, 07:17 PM
It is a emotional sport, you can't say the same for Football.

huh?

ABADays
09-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Huh?

JayRedd
09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I cried when Magic gave his press conference.

Roy Munson
09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I absolutely can't imagine crying over a sporting loss of any kind, no matter now disappointing or frustrating. I've been extremely angry over losses, especially when I thought those losses were unjustly facilitated by bad or erroneous officiating, but never to the point where I would cry over it.

I have had tears of joy numerous times over sporting events. I don't consider that to be crying though, as it is more a reflexive response to extreme happiness and strong emotion.

Funerals have generated tears from me a few times, but again, I attribute that to strong emotion and not necessarily sadness or despair.

AesopRockOn
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Only once when Larry Johnson made that four point play and mostly because of how horrible a call it was and how it screwed us; I was also about nine.

pacers31tc
09-20-2006, 08:45 PM
its been times were i couldn't get out of the house for a week because the Pacers lost a game especially when they lost a playoff series.

I hear that. I'm never ashamed to be a Pacers fan, but it's tough to go to school/work after getting knocked out, b/c everybody wants to pile on.

pizza guy
09-20-2006, 09:09 PM
I hear that. I'm never ashamed to be a Pacers fan, but it's tough to go to school/work after getting knocked out, b/c everybody wants to pile on.

That is the absolute worst. After the Colts' lost last year, I had to go to work right after the game. As I walk in, my co-workers said something, I don't even know what it was now, that really pushed my buttons. Almost cried after the Colts' loss last year, but I think Reggie's last game/retirement ceremony may have tugged a tear out.

I know, after a bowling loss where we had been behind and rallied to come back, then being told we were the winners, the learning upon re-count that we weren't....pretty sure I cried there. I was mad at first, because we were getting abused, then we came back and I felt so good, especially when they said, "yeah, you guys win this one," then they took it from us. The whole spectrum of emotions within 2 hours, with the way it ended was too much. (Not to mention, I could've decided it with one shot earlier in the match).

miller31
09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I have shed tears after three games.

1.) After Reggies last regular season game. I couldnt hold it back when he gave his speech at the end. :cry:

2.) After Reggies final game ever against Detroit. It was like I was in a dream or something. I couldnt believe that Reggie would never player again? I never knew any different. :cry:

3.) After the Pacers were eliminated in the 2000 Finals! I was so proud of that team and i knew they deserved a championship. I also knew the team would fall apart after that season. :cry:

*I almost shed a tear of joy when Reggie hit the game winner over Jordan in 1998. I was in so much shock i couldnt believe it. That had to of been the greatest shot/play from Reggie in his career.!

Los Angeles
09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
I've cried plenty at the end of a guelling athletic experience. One, after coming off the field at the 1990 DCI Finals. Two, after crossing the finish line of a 7 day 600 mile bicicle ride in 2001.

As a spectator, I've only cried once that I can remember for any sport.

They had the iron man triathalon special on TV and it was toward the end, well after the race was already won. It's dark out and some people are just trying to finish. It's near the end and someone has collapsed just short of the finish line. You know that feeling of exhaustion where you lose control of your limbs? Where you're telling your leg to move forward but it won't, or worse, it just flops around like a noodle? Well this woman was completely spent. It took every effort just to crawl and she even collapsed from crawling.

But she didn't stop. People were watching her in disbelief and even horror as she lost the ability to keep her head up and crawled on her elbows and knees because her hands and feet could no longer support her weight. She's close now. She's travelled 20 feet in 10 minutes. But she won't stop.

Another person who had just struggled to cross the line reaches her hand out to pull the woman across. Accepting this help would mean disqualification. She reaches out her arm ... and shoves the helping hand away.

And then she stops. She's lying on her back trying to move her limbs. They flop a little. Then nothing.

I'm screaming at the TV. "It's two feet! You can do it! Get up!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! GO!!!! GO!!!! GO!!!!!!!!!"

Se gets back to her hands and knees. She crosses the line. And that's when I realize that the sensation on my chin is the feeling of tears streaming from my face.

Say what you will about the thrill of victory and being the best and blah blah blah. After a game, win or lose, NBA guys go and eat a steak and get laid.

They've got nothing on this lady.

Isaac
09-20-2006, 11:38 PM

God... living in Chicago, I know exactly what you're talking about. And people are ruthless too.

naptown
09-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I've cried plenty at the end of a guelling athletic experience. One, after coming off the field at the 1990 DCI Finals. Two, after crossing the finish line of a 7 day 600 mile bicicle ride in 2001.

As a spectator, I've only cried once that I can remember for any sport.

They had the iron man triathalon special on TV and it was toward the end, well after the race was already won. It's dark out and some people are just trying to finish. It's near the end and someone has collapsed just short of the finish line. You know that feeling of exhaustion where you lose control of your limbs? Where you're telling your leg to move forward but it won't, or worse, it just flops around like a noodle? Well this woman was completely spent. It took every effort just to crawl and she even collapsed from crawling.

But she didn't stop. People were watching her in disbelief and even horror as she lost the ability to keep her head up and crawled on her elbows and knees because her hands and feet could no longer support her weight. She's close now. She's travelled 20 feet in 10 minutes. But she won't stop.

Another person who had just struggled to cross the line reaches her hand out to pull the woman across. Accepting this help would mean disqualification. She reaches out her arm ... and shoves the helping hand away.

And then she stops. She's lying on her back trying to move her limbs. They flop a little. Then nothing.

I'm screaming at the TV. "It's two feet! You can do it! Get up!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! GO!!!! GO!!!! GO!!!!!!!!!"

Se gets back to her hands and knees. She crosses the line. And that's when I realize that the sensation on my chin is the feeling of tears streaming from my face.

Say what you will about the thrill of victory and being the best and blah blah blah. After a game, win or lose, NBA guys go and eat a steak and get laid.

They've got nothing on this lady.

Awesome story, LA!!!!

Since86
09-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Great story LA.

I've never cried as a spectator, but I cried like a baby in '04 after we lost in regionals. We played in Frankfort, which is a huge gym compared to ours and its almost packed to capacity. With about 2mins to go, our coach pulled me and another teammate (we were #1 and #2 in about every stat category for two straight years) out of the game and we recieved a standing ovation from our crowd. Knowing that it was the last time you'd be infront of them, or wearing that jersey, gets to you.

I've still not watched one second of either years regional losses game tape.

Ron who?
09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
as a fan i have never cried, i've been angry but never cried

Romsey31
09-22-2006, 01:05 AM
kicked my computer desk to pieces, broke a few remotes, but never cried.

Big Smooth
09-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Do you cry in basketball after a lose, or even a joyful cry? i know Basketball is only a game but does it mean more to you then " just a game"? i ask this because i wanna know how much people dedicate there pride for sports and which ones take the game so seriously because i know i do..

Losses make me get angry and throw inanimate objects. Watching a highlight of a clutch play or shot might put a chill down my spine and well my eyes up a bit as I relive the moment. But I've only ever cried after a Pacers game once and that was after the P's won Game 6 of the 2000 ECF in MSG. Tears of pure joy, I couldn't stop 'em and did not want to. I had developed such a strong emotional investment in that group of guys after all the ECF near misses before that.

Probably the only other time I'll cry over the Pacers will be if they win the NBA Title.