PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Reggie Miller

Jer_Freak
09-15-2006, 11:14 PM
I think we/he should comeback, but only as a player who will regroup the guys in the locker-room. maybe he should become a assistant coach but i have a hard time believing Reggie will not get a job somehow with the Pacers.

what the heck? BRING BACK REGGIE!!!! :D

Pacers#1Fan
09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Maybe as a coach EVENTUALLY. Player (as we have established a number or times) is out of the question. Don't forget he still has his broadcasting and producing careers that he enjoys.

Kstat
09-15-2006, 11:22 PM
it's never going to end, is it......

Jer_Freak
09-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Why do people think it's impossible for him to find a job with the Pacers? i would like to see him comeback with the team but only as a mentor who sits on the bench like Darell Armstrong.

larry
09-15-2006, 11:46 PM

I have come to terms that it is over.
Maybe there is a slight window as a coach, but I think it would even have to be later under a differant group of players.

Kstat
09-15-2006, 11:49 PM
There's no window at all. Reggie does not want to coach.

Jer_Freak
09-15-2006, 11:53 PM
There's no window at all. Reggie does not want to coach.

You don't even know that, he noted that he has no desire to coach right now but might change his mind in the future. there is still a chance we get Reggie back even as a player ala Darell Armstrong kind of role...

ChicagoJ
09-15-2006, 11:53 PM
I swear, the Bulls fans weren't even this looney about Jordan.

Let it go.

Jer_Freak
09-16-2006, 12:03 AM

Let it go.

:cry:

LINK (http://youtube.com/watch?v=UUNB7UWoOA8)

Kstat
09-16-2006, 12:03 AM
You don't even know that, he noted that he has no desire to coach right now but might change his mind in the future. there is still a chance we get Reggie back even as a player ala Darell Armstrong kind of role...

There's also a chance you might want to seek help....

Reggie is retired. He is not coming back. Santa Claus is not real, there is also no Easter Bunny.

These are realities you must accept. For your own sake, please let it go. Reggie clearly has moved on, and he's the guy that retired....

Jer_Freak
09-16-2006, 12:07 AM
There's also a chance you might want to seek help....

Reggie is retired. He is not coming back. Santa Claus is not real, there is also no Easter Bunny.

These are realities you must accept. For your own sake, please let it go. Reggie clearly has moved on, and he's the guy that retired....

Seek help? stop speaking for Reggie he can always change his mind like Michael Jordan did. i do think Reggie will get a job with the Pacers either as a player or a assistant coach as a role to mentor the players.

Kstat
09-16-2006, 12:08 AM
There's a "mentor" position that doesn;t involve being an assistant coach?

And Jordan changed his mind at age 38.

Reggie just turned 41.

And I'm not speaking for reggie. REGGIE has already spoken for reggie. He's not interested.

I feel like I'm being cruel, but I don't know what else to say at this point.

Jer_Freak
09-16-2006, 12:40 AM

Sure but being with the players during the game and in the locker-room is different. you enlighten you're opinion i'm gonna enlighten mine whatever Reggie will have a job with the Pacers in the future and i believe that.

Kstat
09-16-2006, 01:03 AM
you enlighten you're opinion i'm gonna enlighten mine whatever Reggie will have a job with the Pacers in the future and i believe that.

I don't get that.

Seriously, I have no clue at all what you just said.

Jer_Freak
09-16-2006, 01:04 AM
I don't get that.

Seriously, I have no clue at all what you just said.

And you have no clue on what Reggie Miller thinks just because he said something doesn't mean he won't change his mind.

Fool
09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
What are you doing Kstat? You've said the one thing you had to say on the matter? If the man wants to sit in the sun of the offseason and dream of his favorite player returning to his favorite team, why must you step all over it?

Kstat
09-16-2006, 01:10 AM
What are you doing Kstat? You've said the one thing you had to say on the matter? If the man wants to sit in the sun of the offseason and dream of his favorite player returning to his favorite team, why must you step all over it?

I did that last summer.

This summer, I'm starting to get concened about the health of some people....

Jer_Freak
09-16-2006, 02:37 AM

Thank You Fool :)

Fireball Kid
09-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Seek help? Stop speaking for Reggie. He can always change his mind like Michael Jordan did. I do think Reggie will get a job with the Pacers either as a player or a assistant coach as a role to mentor the players.

I don't agree with how Kstat expresses his opinions on some people, but I do think you are living in a dream world. This is reality. And the the reality is that Reggie Miller will not come back to the Pacers. He will not come back as an coach, he will not come back as an assistant coach or a player.

This is something that you will have to accept and this is all I have to say about the subject. Good night.

BlueNGold
09-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Reggie is not coming back and neither is Elvis.

BUT, the fact he is 41 is not a barrier to re-entry for him. The man scored 27 points in a playoff game last year. Certainly he would be good off the bench, even at this point.

....but it ain't happening.

grace
09-16-2006, 09:22 AM

They didn't have to be because he kept coming back. They don't talk about him any more because the last time he came back with the Wizards.

Kegboy
09-16-2006, 09:29 AM
They didn't have to be because he kept coming back. They don't talk about him any more because the last time he came back with the Wizards.

I was in Chicago when he announced he was gonna play for Washington. All the Sports Radio shows were full of people who wanted to tear down his statue in front of the United Center cause he said he'd "always be a Bull". It was all very funny.

ChicagoJ
09-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe Reggie should make a comeback with the Wizards, then.

:shrug:

grace
09-16-2006, 12:31 PM

:shrug:

He better not. :mad:

pacerwaala
09-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Short of winning a championship, IMHO, Reggie's exit is as graceful and great as it gets in professional sports.

That season with the brawl, and how he held the team together with his personality on and off the court, scroing his age against the Lakers, leading them to the playoffs, good playoff games against Boston and Detroit are just memorable and then -

That last game he had against Detroit is one for the ages. He put it all on the floor, emptied his holster completely, Larry Brown's timeout, the standing ovation - I don't think he could have written it any better (short of a championship). It is very hard to stay away from the limelight, like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan have shown but I think Reggie's legacy will be tarnished if he comes back and sits at the end of the bench like Darrell Armstrong. Reggie just had a classic last season for any professional career and he probably wants to keep it that way.

Obviously, he can come here as a coach, which will be good but I think he knows too much about today's player(especially with his experiences with the Pacers towards the end of his career) that he will not even coach.

BTW,
You talking about Darrell Armstrong! Darrell Armstrong! Its Darrell Armstrong man! Its Darrell freaking Armstrong that you just compared Reggie to!

Ok, That was my best AI impersonation.

Naptown_Seth
09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
As long as Jeff George can still get offers it isn't.

Memories are the best players a team can get, followed by players on someone else's roster.

ABADays
09-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Short of winning a championship, IMHO, Reggie's exit is as graceful and great as it gets in professional sports.

That season with the brawl, and how he held the team together with his personality on and off the court, scroing his age against the Lakers, leading them to the playoffs, good playoff games against Boston and Detroit are just memorable and then -

That last game he had against Detroit is one for the ages. He put it all on the floor, emptied his holster completely, Larry Brown's timeout, the standing ovation - I don't think he could have written it any better (short of a championship). It is very hard to stay away from the limelight, like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan have shown but I think Reggie's legacy will be tarnished if he comes back and sits at the end of the bench like Darrell Armstrong. Reggie just had a classic last season for any professional career and he probably wants to keep it that way.

Obviously, he can come here as a coach, which will be good but I think he knows too much about today's player(especially with his experiences with the Pacers towards the end of his career) that he will not even coach.

BTW,
You talking about Darrell Armstrong! Darrell Armstrong! Its Darrell Armstrong man! Its Darrell freaking Armstrong that you just compared Reggie to!

Ok, That was my best AI impersonation.

Very well stated. Coaching isn't even on Reggie's radar.

Trader Joe
09-16-2006, 02:44 PM
God why do some people want Reggie to ruin his legacy by coming back as a player??? He would not be effective now, period.

Could he come back as a coach? Sure. Will he come back as a coach? Almost certainly not. Reggie himself has said this.

Fact is Reggie gave us many amazing memories let us cherish those rather than try to get him to come back by banging our heads against the wall.

Robertmto
09-16-2006, 04:08 PM

:D :devil: ;)

Talk about replacing Jeffries!!!

Even Reggie couldn't replace Jeffries

miller31
09-16-2006, 04:24 PM
WHO THE HECK CARES!

BRING BACK REGGIE!! BRING BACK REGGIE!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH U GUYS!! U ACT LIKE IT WOULD BE A DISRUPTION IF REGGIE WAS ON THE BENCH OR PLAYED! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

WHO CARES IF REGGIE IS 40. HE CAN STILL PLAY! HE WOULD BE A GREAT PLAYER OFF THE BENCH! I ALSO KNOW FOR SURE THAT HE WILL BE AROUND ON THE BENCH COACHING IN A FEW YEARS!!

BRING BACK REGGIE!! REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE!

:reggie:

Hicks
09-16-2006, 04:25 PM
*sigh*

Kstat
09-16-2006, 04:42 PM
As long as Jeff George can still get offers it isn't.

Memories are the best players a team can get, followed by players on someone else's roster.

I'm not saying Reggie wouldn't be able to get a job if he wanted.

I'm saying Reggie DOESN'T want that...and who would?

Reggie is better than that.

I also think that it's almost disrespectful to him to want him to come out of retirement when he's very happy where he is.

He gave you 18 years. let the man be.

Trader Joe
09-16-2006, 04:45 PM
WHO THE HECK CARES!

BRING BACK REGGIE!! BRING BACK REGGIE!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH U GUYS!! U ACT LIKE IT WOULD BE A DISRUPTION IF REGGIE WAS ON THE BENCH OR PLAYED! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

WHO CARES IF REGGIE IS 40. HE CAN STILL PLAY! HE WOULD BE A GREAT PLAYER OFF THE BENCH! I ALSO KNOW FOR SURE THAT HE WILL BE AROUND ON THE BENCH COACHING IN A FEW YEARS!!

BRING BACK REGGIE!! REGGIE! REGGIE! REGGIE!

:reggie:

There is a place that can help you.

BillS
09-16-2006, 04:51 PM
The drugs in the school suppliy packages just get better every year, don't they?

Kegboy
09-16-2006, 05:19 PM
I also think that it's almost disrespectful to him to want him to come out of retirement when he's very happy where he is.

Hell, Grace and I thought the "One More Year" chants were disrespectful. He chose to retire, just accept it and leave him be.

vapacersfan
09-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Hell, Grace and I thought the "One More Year" chants were disrespectful. He chose to retire, just accept it and leave him be.

I never saw it that way.

The man's nickname was "Hollywood", and any performer always wants to go out with people wanting more.

Any actor wants to go out of his/her own, and have people begging them to stay and do one more movie/season.

I would think Reggie would be flattered by the chants, and I dont see how he could have found them disrespectful in any way.

Lord Helmet
09-16-2006, 05:38 PM
No way in hell is that disrespectful. It was just saying they wanted more, I never took it as they didn't respect his choice. JMO, though.

AesopRockOn
09-16-2006, 06:12 PM
We should all be positive. We should all be realistic.

grace
09-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I think Reggie was probably a little flattered in the beginning that people kept saying "One More Year", but after hearing it for awhile he was probably thinking "What part of 'I'm retiring and that's final' do you not understand?" It's just like when people keep saying Reggie should coach. He doesn't want to and the subject should be dropped.

It should also be noted that when Reggie talks about coming back to play in the Olympics he never, ever says he wants to come back to play in the NBA, not even for a single season. Why? Because he knows he's not up to it.

Hicks
09-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I doubt Reggie ever got bothered by it; I believe he took it all as a compliment.

Jer_Freak
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
BRING BACK REGGIE

as a assistant coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't live without Reggie being part of our Organization...

Kstat
09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
You want to kidnap him?

Sollozzo
09-17-2006, 01:27 AM
I think Reggie was probably a little flattered in the beginning that people kept saying "One More Year", but after hearing it for awhile he was probably thinking "What part of 'I'm retiring and that's final' do you not understand?" It's just like when people keep saying Reggie should coach. He doesn't want to and the subject should be dropped.

Reggie's a smart man. Reggie knows how he was loved here. He, like everyone else, probably saw a chant like that coming from a mile away. I think Reggie would have been suprised if there wouldn't have been some sort of chant like that at the end.

Sollozzo
09-17-2006, 01:29 AM
I think we/he should comeback, but only as a player who will regroup the guys in the locker-room. maybe he should become a assistant coach but i have a hard time believing Reggie will not get a job somehow with the Pacers.

This thread is the biggest waste of time in the history of PD. His retirement had a 100% final feal to it. He went out classy. You could just tell that there was a zero percent chance that he would play again.

Reggie gave us everything left in the tank during the last half of the 04-05 season. Watching him go out like that was something that all Pacer fans will always carry with them.

He was 39 then. He's 41 now. That may not sound like a big difference, but it is indeed a huge one when it comes to playing in the NBA. Once hit your late 30's, every year is a big difference when it comes to playing professional basketball. You just don't see guys playing in their 40's. You can't do it in professional basketball. Once every blue moon, a guy like Parish or Willis can play until 43 or so. Jordan and Malone made it to 40. Not 41, which is the age Reggie is now.

Why you would want to see Reggie come back, rack a bunch of mediocre single digit scoring performances up, and tarnish his near perfect ending is beyone me.

SoupIsGood
09-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Reggie for MVP

BlueNGold
09-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Reggie gave us everything left in the tank during the last half of the 04-05 season. Watching him go out like that was something that all Pacer fans will always carry with them.

He was 39 then. He's 41 now. That may not sound like a big difference, but it is indeed a huge one when it comes to playing in the NBA. Once hit your late 30's, every year is a big difference when it comes to playing professional basketball. You just don't see guys playing in their 40's. You can't do it in professional basketball. Once every blue moon, a guy like Parish or Willis can play until 43 or so. Jordan and Malone made it to 40. Not 41, which is the age Reggie is now.

Why you would want to see Reggie come back, rack a bunch of mediocre single digit scoring performances up, and tarnish his near perfect ending is beyone me.

I do not want to see him come back for many of the reasons you state here. He retired in style and I would not want to see him join this particular team anyway. They don't deserve to be on the floor with him.

However, you are underestimating what he could contribute. He is too smart and too good of a shooter from anywhere on the floor. He was starting for the team at the end of last year and was clearly the best Pacer on the floor during his last game...scoring 27 points against arguably the best defense in the NBA. Those things don't change that drastically in less than 2 years to the point he would not be an effective long range threat off the bench for 15-20 minutes....which would be quite valuable to this team. ...along with all the other intangibles he brings.

Again, I would not want to see him back...but I can see some people wanting him back...maybe until he turns 60. :)

vapacersfan
09-17-2006, 11:52 AM
This thread is the biggest waste of time in the history of PD. His retirement had a 100% final feal to it. He went out classy. You could just tell that there was a zero percent chance that he would play again.

Who are you to say what is what isn't worth posting?

Do TPTB come read all the threads saying we need to fire RC? If not, arent those clearly "a waste of time"?.....

How about all those threads about trading S-Jax and Tinsley? Clearly those are the biggest waste of time, since TPTB have not read them and traded said players.

The whole point of a internet message board is to discuss the Pacers, and if you really dont like the topic on any thread you can just choose not to read it or post in it.

Bball
09-17-2006, 12:12 PM
How on Earth could Reggie hear the "One More Year" chant and not take it as a compliment? It meant he left people wanting more. As a performer it is what you long for.

I'm sure Reggie would've appreciated that more than an "It's about time!" chant or stone cold silence... or a half empty arena.

Also.... I take the chant as a 'plea' for one more year, not a 'demand'.

-Bball

NorCal_Pacerfan
09-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Talk about beating a dead horse...

Lord Helmet
09-17-2006, 07:10 PM

He could do more than a bunch of "mediocre single digit scoring performances."

How on Earth could Reggie hear the "One More Year" chant and not take it as a compliment? It meant he left people wanting more. As a performer it is what you long for.

I'm sure Reggie would've appreciated that more than an "It's about time!" chant or stone cold silence... or a half empty arena.

Also.... I take the chant as a 'plea' for one more year, not a 'demand'.

-Bball
I agree with that 100%, I still don't see how that was thought of as disrespectful. :laugh:

grace
09-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I agree with that 100%, I still don't see how that was thought of as disrespectful. :laugh:

"Disrespectful" was probably a bad choice of words. "Irritating as hell" would have been better. You'd think after watching Reggie play for 17 years people would realize that when he says something he means it. Therefore chanting "One more year" was not only annoying it was a waste of breath.

vapacersfan
09-17-2006, 07:55 PM
"Disrespectful" was probably a bad choice of words. "Irritating as hell" would have been better. You'd think after watching Reggie play for 17 years people would realize that when he says something he means it. Therefore chanting "One more year" was not only annoying it was a waste of breath.

I still see it as a compliment, and one of the nicest things any one could say to a performer on his/her way out. To me, it was far from a waste of breath, it anything it was another way to say "Thank you Reggie".............

Bball
09-17-2006, 08:43 PM

Too bad there's not an ignore feature at Conseco that you could've taken advantage of ;)

-Bball

Fool
09-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Sure there is, if I'm not mistaken her and Kegboy took advantage of that feature last year.

FlavaDave
09-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I'll go against the grain and say that it isn't 100% impossible that Reggie will be a coach in the future. Maybe he even coaches a different team.

Give him 10 years. He will only be 51, and he will be a decade removed from B-Ball. Ten years is a long time and leaves plenty of time for change.

It's like the college student who graduates and says "I'll never set foot in a classroom again!" but finds himself 40 years old and wanting to become a teacher and ends up in grad school.

All that said, the most likely senario for a Reggie 'homecoming' would be as the color commentator for Pacers games.

grace
09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I still see it as a compliment, and one of the nicest things any one could say to a performer on his/her way out. To me, it was far from a waste of breath, it anything it was another way to say "Thank you Reggie".............

Then they should have been chanting REG-GIE instead of what they were saying.

ChicagoJ
09-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Gotta agree with Grace... I think the chanters intended "One More Year" to be a tribute.

But it was a poorly conceived one. The man had made up his mind, it sounded like a bunch of hanger-on-ers trying to talk him out of his decision. Out of respect for Reggie's decision, I did not participate in that chant.

grace
09-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Gotta agree with Grace... I think the chanters intended "One More Year" to be a tribute.

But it was a poorly conceived one. The man had made up his mind, it sounded like a bunch of hanger-on-ers trying to talk him out of his decision. Out of respect for Reggie's decision, I did not participate in that chant.

Now that I found someone who agrees with me can we drop the subject? :pray: Please?

vapacersfan
09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Now that I found someone who agrees with me can we drop the subject? :pray: Please?

The Reg-gie chant got old after a while.

Actually, no, it didnt. I still dont see how it can be taken as anything other then a compliment, but since I have to run to class and then finished a 5 page paper on Beowulf, Ill honor your request and drop the subject.

larry
09-19-2006, 01:36 AM

And Jordan changed his mind at age 38.

Reggie just turned 41.

And I'm not speaking for reggie. REGGIE has already spoken for reggie. He's not interested.

I feel like I'm being cruel, but I don't know what else to say at this point.

Sometimes you got to drive a point home the same way you drive a nail into wood. As for you quoting me...
I don't think it's out of the question for Reggie to land some kind of coaching job here. I did say in the future after he has tested other waters. It's not marked on my calander. He could end up in Cali much the same way Bird ended up in Indiana despite being a living legend in Boston. ALOT of basketball players end up being involved w/ basketball. It's a way of life for most guys. Look at your own Detroit team from the bad boy era. They all seem involved down to Mahorn being involved in broadcasting.

Kstat
09-19-2006, 03:38 AM
Yeah, but they came back to the franchise on their own. I wouldn't have wanted any of them back doing jobs they didn't want....

RamBo_Lamar
09-19-2006, 09:04 AM
I would love to see Reggie play forever too, but athletes are people who age,
and have real lives to live outside of their field (or former field) of employment
like most people do.

I know if I were single, in my early forties, driving a Bentley, and had more
millions of $$$ than could spend for the rest of my life, I would surely be alot
more interested in driving around playing with my harem of ultra-fine super
babes than playing with a round brown ball and trying to put it through an
orange hoop.

If anything, I really admire Reggie for hanging on as long as he did, and saw
it as his way of thanking us, the fans, and the Pacers franchise for being
good to him for so long.

NaptownBound
09-22-2006, 11:17 AM
yo... he's gone! and, he's happy.
move on people.

grace
09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
yo... he's gone! and, he's happy.
move on people.

Moving on would happen faster if people would quit bumping threads. :pissed:

;)

Big Smooth
09-22-2006, 08:17 PM

I doubt it. He has a very promising broadcasting career in front of him. Little bit easier work. ;)