PDA

View Full Version : Could This Be Snap's Year To Break Through? {Pacers.com 9.15.06}

Frank Slade
09-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Could This Be Snap’s Year To Break Through?

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/snap_330_pass.jpg
Jimmie Hunter snaps off a pass during summer league play in Orlando.

Friday, Sept. 15, 2006

QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. What can you tell us about "Snap" Hunter now that he has made the team? What I have heard so far is that he can fill up the basket. We need reliable, outside shooting in a big way. Also that he may need more development running the team as a point guard. How is that coming? Is he in the plans as a perimeter scoring option? Is that the main reason we signed him? Is he the first backup at the two spot? (From Alan in San Diego)

A. The first thing I can tell you is he hasn't necessarily made the team, despite signing what is reportedly a partially guaranteed free-agent contract. He's in much the same situation as a year ago, needing to prove himself against a large crop of guards in order to finally break through and secure an NBA job. He's been close – very close – for awhile now.

A 28-year-old veteran of the alphabet soup of minor leagues, Hunter tore up the CBA last season (27.6 points, 5.4 assists, 5.4 rebounds). But the guys who spend years on the fringe of the NBA generally go one of two ways: they become Omar Cook and just kind of fade away, or they become Smush Parker and wind up in a solid situation. The sad truth is, it's often more up to the circumstances than the player; being in the right place at the right time means everything.

Hunter has been a summer-league star for the Pacers the past two years, primarily impressing as a scorer. Though preseason games don't normally trigger fond memories, it's kind of hard to forget his 17-point, 18-minute effort to nearly rally the Pacers to a victory over New Jersey in last year's opener. That turned out to be his lone highlight of the preseason and he was one of two players (along with forward Damone Brown) released in the final cut. The Pacers had four veteran point guards with guaranteed contracts (including the since-departed Eddie Gill) and there was just no room for Hunter.

And so he returned for another summer league, affirming his offensive abilities. What the Pacers need to see from Hunter, however, is the ability to make sound decisions and effectively run a team from the point. They need to see him play adequate defense out front. No one's asking him to become John Stockton overnight but if he's going to carve out an NBA career, he has to do so as a two-position player. Since it's pretty clear he's comfortable in a scoring guard's role, it boils down to a team's confidence in his ability to handle the point.

Hunter has some skills the Pacers need, namely 3-point shooting and potentially explosive scoring off the bench. The coaching staff obviously likes him, hence the two consecutive training camp invitations. Does that make this the right place at the right time for Hunter? That remains to be seen but it's likely this amounts to his best opportunity to break through to the big show.

Oh, Snap !

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060915.html)

SoupIsGood
09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Ohh, SNAP!

Some might disagree with me, but I would rather have Snap than have Greene.

Naptown_Seth
09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Could This Be Snap's Year To Break Through?

No.

If he had made the team last year he would be golden right about now. Instead he's in a really bad situation to make that next step forward. Like Bruno said, circumstances.

Los Angeles
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't get the hype.

I've never even seen this guy play, let alone play in an NBA game.

aero
09-15-2006, 02:30 PM
i watched him play in the summer league, he did ok...but then again it was the summer league...

Speed
09-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Only way I see he makes it, is if there's something wrong with Greene, attitude wise. Greene doesn't at all have a bad attitude that I know, just the opposite really.

Only reason I say that is, that SNAP would be a perfect bench guy. He'll appreciate every moment on the end of the bench, be positive I would assume because he's struggled so long and hard to get there, and never need a minute of PT.

I think you'd need 3 of the other 4 guys on the bubble to show something negative for him to make it tho, imho.

Man, how did the Pacers ever pluck Workman out of nowhere back in the day? I'd love for Snap to be that guy, but Workman may be a rare one-time find.

CableKC
09-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Its hard to say which PG to keep....if we end up with 4 PGs in the rotation....do we go with a more defensive minded PG in Greene? or do we go with a more offensive minded PG in Snap?

My preference is to go with the defensive minded PG......cuz MHO...its always good to have a scoring spark off the bench like Snap....but I would much rather have a defensive minded PG like Greene and just give the extra touches and scoring opportunities to the other 14 players on the team.

BlueNGold
09-15-2006, 09:17 PM
My expectation has been that Greene will make it and Snap will not....but I think that is a mistake unless we make further trades. Quis and White can probably play PG about as well as Greene. They will play sufficiently physical D (which is Greene's forte), create incredible mismatches and provide far more offense. I don't recall Greene being much of a distributor or shooter...just good on D. ...so I just don't see how he adds much to the roster. Snap can at least hit the 3, stretch the D and provide an offensive spark off the bench when needed. We really need Snap's shooting if we make no more trades.

3rdStrike
09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
I like Greene because he's young, athletic, and we don't have a first round pick for next year.

I like Hunter because this team doesn't have a 3 pt threat, outside of maybe Jasikevicius, if he shows up.

In a perfect world we'd keep both, but Daniels has to get heavy minutes, and thus I see the 28 yr old Snap being cut. Hopefully he catches on with another team, one that needs a SG.

Jermaniac
09-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't get the hype.

I've never even seen this guy play, let alone play in an NBA game.
Agreed, he is getting cut. No way he makes the roster.

pacerscolts3132
09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
I think we have to keep Greene, we already have a point who brings O off the bench in Jasikevicius. The Pacers need a defensive minded point to come in and play. Tinsley, Jasikevicius, Hunter = NO DEFENSE. And lets face it Armstrong wont play that much.

Jose Slaughter
09-16-2006, 11:59 PM
I see Daniels & White as our future at SG.

With Tinsley work history we need someone that can come in a fill the void when he goes down. Armstrong will only be here for this coming season, Sarunas isn't getting any younger either & Greene showed some promise last seaosn with the Celtics.

Final straw: Snap's contract is only partially guaranteed.

Edit:

It took me long enough but I finally found this.

I could never remember is it was Powell or Marshall who's contract became guaranteed over the summer.

It's Marshall's, will that make a difference?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23402

But plans change. Since the trade, Indy's anticipated Harrington/Edwards acquisition has become derailed with Atlanta's insistence on better compensation. In the aftermath, Marshall became a beneficiary of the gridlock. Suddenly, the Aug. 8 deadline to waive him at no cost to the Pacers came and went and nothing happened.

As a result, Marshall now has a guaranteed contract this season. By surviving to this point, barring a trade he will likely be a Pacer for the full year.

BlueNGold
09-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I see Daniels & White as our future at SG.

I think with Snap and those two, we would at least be good at that position. I would expect Quis to start...so 3pt shooting would be a concern....but Rip Hamilton is a fine SG and has never been great from outside....so it is not an absolute necessity obviously.

What we need is a player like Brad Miller who can hit the outside shot and play C for us. We need to package up players like Foster and Jax to pick up a Brad Miller type. He would go great with JO, just like a few years ago. He would give us some shooting and better allow Quis to play SG. JMO. Foster cannot do that and results in a collapsing defense on JO.

Jose Slaughter
09-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Harrison has a nice touch. Maybe not the range Miller had, not yet anyway.