PDA

View Full Version : Here's the Euro player I want on my team

grace
09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1157615436124190.xml&coll=1

Travis Best is off to Italy, where the former Springfield high school basketball star will play what he expects to be his final professional season.

"I'm in pretty good shape, but I think this is it," said Best, who played in the NBA from 1995-2005, then spent last season in Russia. "I'm looking forward to this. I think it will be a good experience."

Best, 34, will play for a team in Bologna. He said his season in Russia was valuable in both professional and personal ways.

"It was the coldest winter they'd had in 50 years," said the 5-foot-11 point guard, who played for Central High School from 1988-91, and has his offseason home in Atlanta, Ga.

"Just being around all that culture, and seeing how they live, made the year in Russia very worthwhile," he said.

Best played for a team in the city of Kazan, but said he visited Moscow, where four of the Russian pro teams are located, at least 10 times.

"The language could be a problem," he said. "But even the people who can't speak English can text it on the phone. That was interesting."

After playing for Georgia Tech from 1991-95, Best spent seven years with the Indiana Pacers. He also played for Chicago, Miami, Dallas and New Jersey, averaging 7.6 points and 3.5 assists during a 10-year NBA career.

Robertmto
09-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Best was won of my favorite Pacers. DAMN THAT TRADE!!!

Kegboy
09-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm glad he enjoyed himself. For those who don't know, my title is from the Russian article about his signing last year. It's "Indiana Pacers" in cyrillic. Sadly, I fear Indiana Pacers in Italian is just Indiana Pacers. Might be a tilda in there. :dunno: