View Full Version : Are Pacers Overstocked At Point Guard? {Pacers.com 9.14.06}

Frank Slade
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Are Pacers Overstocked At Point Guard?

Thursday, Sept. 14, 2006

QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. Looking at the roster as it stands right now, the Pacers have five players who fit the point guard position: Jamaal Tinsley, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Darrell Armstrong, Orien Greene and newly signed Jimmie Hunter. Is the plan to keep all of these players on the roster, or will more moves involve restructuring out of the point guard contingent? (From Brett in Homewood, Ill.)

A. Just how this position sorts out will be one of the most intriguing subplots of the preseason because there appear to be more quality players than jobs. But is that really the case? It's reasonable to expect the Pacers to keep at least three point guards. Perhaps because of the additional need created by Tinsley's history of health problems, the Pacers kept four last season (Tinsley, Jasikevicius, Anthony Johnson and Eddie Gill). Erring on the side of generosity, let's assume four spots are again reserved for point guards in 2006-07. Who might those players be?

Assuming Tinsley, Jasikevicius and Armstrong are retained, that leaves one spot. Greene played 80 games for Boston as an undrafted rookie last season, at 6-4 has excellent size and strength and is a solid defender, which certainly is an area of need. Hunter, also 6-4, is a very different player with highly polished scoring skills and a strong 3-point shot; he also can play shooting guard. Both players, then, are developing talents that bring skill sets that could help the Pacers, so it wouldn't be a major surprise if a way is found for both to be kept.

Of course, there are other players that could well factor into the mix. Marquis Daniels enjoyed some success at the position in his years with Dallas and will no doubt get a look there during the preseason to gauge his viability at the point. Rookie James White was used at the point in summer-league play and fared reasonably well so he, too, offers flexibility.

It's not inconceivable the Pacers could open the season with seven players on the roster – nearly half – capable of handling the point, at least in certain situations. That might not necessarily force a move, but it certainly would give management the flexibility to make one, if the need should arise.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060914.html)

Anthem
09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Rookie James White was used at the point in summer-league play and fared reasonably well so he, too, offers flexibility.
If White ran point in the summer league, it was very very little. Mostly he played off ball.

Frank Slade
09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
The few games I caught , I seemed to remember him handling the ball some, when Hunter was out? Although I have slept since then.

I'm sure this will get some eyes rolling, but watching him reminds me, a little bit of Dwayne Wade-lite. :rolleyes:
Just as far as how he moves on the court. and towards the basket, something about him I'm not sure.

I think James may end up not a true PG or SG, which is how I have always looked at Wade he's just a player, a natural talent, not really defined by one position. While I'm sure there are more
less talented, and lower profile players that White more favorably compares, that's what popped into my head.

Ok now that I have lost all creditbility, just thought I'd share :eyebrow:
Feel free to giggle and elbow your neighbor.

Kegboy
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
quantity != quality

Speed
09-14-2006, 01:54 PM
JW body type reminds me of a taller GP, not saying he'll be anything, thats just what he LOOKS like to me.

3rdStrike
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm sure this will get some eyes rolling, but watching him reminds me, a little bit of Dwayne Wade-lite. :rolleyes:
Just as far as how he moves on the court. and towards the basket, something about him I'm not sure.

I think James may end up not a true PG or SG, which is how I have always looked at Wade he's just a player, a natural talent, not really defined by one position. While I'm sure there are more
less talented, and lower profile players that White more favorably compares, that's what popped into my head.

Ok now that I have lost all creditbility, just thought I'd share :eyebrow:
Feel free to giggle and elbow your neighbor.

I think James White will be a star, so no giggling here!

PacerMan
09-14-2006, 05:10 PM
If Daniels proves he can play the point, no way Hunter and Greene make it. Maybe neither.

CableKC
09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
If we are looking at Tinsley/Sarunas/Armstrong as the 1st 3 PGs.....and had to keep an additional PG....I really prefer Greene....mainly due to his defensive skills......but have a feeling that we would end up keeping Snap...mainly due to his 3pt shooting ( something that we need some help on ).

I'm thinking that unless Marquis and/or White proves that they are superior PG options over either Greene or Snap....my preference is to have either of them play point as a 4th/5th option....when any 2 of Tinsley/Sarunas/Armstrong goes down with injury. This way...both Marquis and White can do what they do best....play off the ball as SGs.

Hicks
09-14-2006, 06:01 PM
I'd like to keep Greene as the 4th PG for defense. I don't understand why we signed Snap at all unless it was purely to reward him with a contract for his work or something (though that's a big stretch).

At this point I'd like my main 12 to be:

Tinsley/Jasikevicious/Armstrong
Jackson/Daniels/White
Granger/White
Harrington/Foster
O'Neal/Harrison

ABADays
09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
I think we will need all of them to have a representative season out of the position.

Anthem
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I still think somebody's gonna be traded.

Bball
09-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Well, public enemy #1 Sjax just got wrapped in a nice fuzzy little puff piece for the fans. Has public enemy #1b Tinsley had one yet?

I'm sure it's coming... It's too early for Christmas.

-Bball

Steve
09-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Sort of like having a 'fridge full of Budweiser when all you want is one or two Guiness stouts....

Anthem
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Sort of like having a 'fridge full of Budweiser when all you want is one or two Guiness stouts....
Spoiled Budweiser.

rexnom
09-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Spoiled Budweiser.
But when it's "healthy" (aka not spoiled), it's one of the best beers in the league! Honest!

Will Galen
09-14-2006, 09:39 PM
I'd like to keep Greene as the 4th PG for defense. I don't understand why we signed Snap at all unless it was purely to reward him with a contract for his work or something (though that's a big stretch).

Jackson/Daniels/White
Granger/White
Harrington/Foster
O'Neal/Harrison

You have White down twice.

JayRedd
09-15-2006, 12:47 AM
But when it's "healthy" (aka not spoiled), it's one of the best beers in the league! Honest!

I'd rather focus on the frontcourt of Danny al-Jermaine.....which is more like "Hooraaaayy BEER!!!"

or

:brilliant

Naptown_Seth
09-15-2006, 01:54 AM
If White ran point in the summer league, it was very very little. Mostly he played off ball.
What?

Most of his play was ON ball, at both ends. Even when Boo or someone was the PG, White got plenty of time as the initial ball handler who controled the dribble and ensured that the first pass, be it entry or to a player coming off screen, was done correctly. A lot of that had to do (it appeared) with his reliability to PROTECT THE BALL, something Snap, Boo, et al were having serious trouble doing.

On defense he was put on the ball almost full-time, again due to his success at it. On both ends his maturity and smart play made these obvious decisions pretty early on, at least IMO. Once they tried it they seemed to like the results and came back to it more and more.

Naptown_Seth
09-15-2006, 01:58 AM
JW body type reminds me of a taller GP, not saying he'll be anything, thats just what he LOOKS like to me.
A little I think. Also something of an Arenas build to him. He's not a bulky guy, that's for sure. I thought his arms were especially thin, like Reggie's were. He doesn't have the stocky muscle build of DWade IMO. He looked way too small to rotate down to the NBA 3 as some have suggested, but I reserve the right to change my mind once I see him in person.

But to me he certainly didn't look bigger than Snap, for example, and he is not a big dude.

Hicks
09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
You have White down twice.

2nd White = Williams.

I have an honest question: Did you really care about it that much? I mean I guess you did, you posted, but it seems like something most would ignore or leave unspoken. Just wondering.

SycamoreKen
09-15-2006, 07:55 AM
2nd White = Williams.

I have an honest question: Did you really care about it that much? I mean I guess you did, you posted, but it seems like something most would ignore or leave unspoken. Just wondering.

You know will, always the rabble rouser.

countarfit
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM

Jackson/Daniels/White
Granger/White <-- Williams
Harrington/Foster
O'Neal/Harrison

I think you're missing Shawne Williams instead of having JayDub in at SF

*edit* nevermind. If you add Shawne in there, then we have 13 players on that depth chart. Forget i said anything

D-BONE
09-16-2006, 09:20 AM

Hope so. For that reason I say keep them all if we haven't made a trade by opening night. Then if Tins, Jack, or Saras have a good stretch of play in the first half, we have the ability to move them throughout.

Both Greene and Snap intrigue me, although they are both marginal from a proven contributor standpoint as of now. With the minutes Greene logged last year and what he allegedly brings to the table I think he's got to be on the final roster unless he is part of any package.

Kegboy
09-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Jackson/Daniels/White
Granger/White
Harrington/Foster
O'Neal/Harrison

Hey Hicks, I think you need to take another look at that.

:evillaugh

Slick Pinkham
09-16-2006, 07:44 PM
...there appears to be more quality players than jobs.

I would say that there appears to be more warm bodies than jobs. I'm not sure any one of them (at PG) is a quality player, unless it is a healthy Tinsley (a rare creature).

Otherwise we are 4 deep at the 3rd string PG position.