PDA

View Full Version : (Slightly OT) Anyone up for a Trade Rumor?

DisplacedKnick
01-23-2004, 02:24 PM
This is one that seems to be getting talked about (at least fans are talking about it) between Portland, Atlanta and NY:

NY trades:
KVH
Sweetney
Frank Williams

NY receives:
Abdur-Rahim
Ruben Patterson

Atlanta trades:
Abdur-Rahim
Nazr Mohammed

Atlanta receives:
Rasheed
Frank Williams

Portland trades:
Rasheed
Ruben

Portland receives:
KVH
Sweetney
Mohammed

This appears to have originated with Portland fans - I have no idea if there's anything at all to it.

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Why would anyone want VanHorn?

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 02:29 PM
So NY goes from having no depth to.....

DisplacedKnick
01-23-2004, 02:40 PM
So NY goes from having no depth to.....

We have depth - not very GOOD depth (Frank Williams & Hardaway are decent but that's it) but we just signed Bruno so things should be looking up. :unimpressed: :confused:

Anthem
01-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, with Starbury and Houston in the backcourt backed up by Moochie Norris and Hardaway, Frank Williams will never see time. You guys don't have enough talent to let him ride the pine. If you're not going to use him, then move him for a player you will use.

Reefer would be great in NY, that's a serious upgrade for you. Would you play him at the 3, and keep Thomas and Mt.M up front, or would you move Thomas to bring in a 3?

Or start Peterson at 3, Reefer at 4, and bring Thomas off the bench?

Either way, it really strengthens your frontcourt. Not sure I like it for Atlanta, though. If they're going to shop both of their big men, it seems like they could get more. The Knicks don't have a pick to throw in, but Portland does.

DisplacedKnick
01-23-2004, 02:59 PM
According to articles today, Wilkins is planning to move Frank ahead of Moochie - he says he didn't know him when he started and didn't know how to use him but he's played better in practice.

Hard to say how the lineup would work out though my guess is that A-R would start at SF just because Anderson's a pretty big downgrade there. But on offense Shareef could post-up to his heart's content.

If this rumor had originated with NY fans I'd say it was wishful thinking anyway. Why wouldn't Portland just drop the middleman and take Shareef? The only answer is that Atlanta wants no part of Patterson and Portland's getting desperate.

Probably nothing to it though I guess I can hope.

Anthem
01-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure of the trade for Portland. KVH would play SF, but they just got Miles. Weird.

They'd have a decent smallball lineup:

Randolph/Davis
KVH/Nazr
Miles/Woods
Anderson/Person
Stoudamire/?

Hey, maybe Indy could get in on this deal. I'd give them Croshere/Pollard/Anderson/Jones for Davis/Nazr/Outlaw. That fixes a lot of their worst weaknesses.

Shade
01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
That looks like a pretty good trade to me, considering what all three teams are trying to gain from it.

New York wins the most though, IMO.

ChicagoJ
01-23-2004, 03:34 PM
'Sheed to the Hawks?

The last time they expirimented with a bad citizen (Isiah Rider), he aliened three of the four remaining Hawks fans. I'm guessing Rasheed would push that last guy over the edge. I don't see the new owners going for that, or if they do it may backfire big time.

Cactus Jax
01-23-2004, 03:57 PM
'Sheed to the Hawks?

The last time they expirimented with a bad citizen (Isiah Rider), he aliened three of the four remaining Hawks fans. I'm guessing Rasheed would push that last guy over the edge. I don't see the new owners going for that, or if they do it may backfire big time.

Rasheed would only be brought in for the salary relief he gives at the end of the year. They may give him a chance to play, and see if they might want to sign him back, but the 17 million really appeals to Atlanta. Portland has no reason to do the trade, unless Kurt Thomas is sent to Portland; that's the ONLY way I see the deal being done, with maybe even Doleac being sent there as well.

efx
01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Appearently this rumor started when someone impersonated a team owner on a atlanta radio show. It ain't happening.

Kegboy
01-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Appearently this rumor started when someone impersonated a team owner on a atlanta radio show. It ain't happening.

Yeah, I was about to say there's no way Atlanta's doing anything until the ownership situation is resolved.

Even after that, I seriously doubt Atlanta would take a bad apple like Sheed, unless they plan to let him go at the end of the season. Cap space would be nice.

DisplacedKnick
01-24-2004, 10:34 AM

Actually there's quite a bit more to it than that:

http://www.nj.com/knicks/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1074927238102750.xml

Doesn't sound like it'll happen but I guess you never know. For my money I'd do it, even losing KT which would hurt. You win with stars and A-R's that AND an offensive post player.

Slick Pinkham
01-24-2004, 11:07 AM
You win with stars and A-R's that AND an offensive post player.

We could send you Pollard! As a post player this year, few have been more offensive. :laugh:

DisplacedKnick
01-24-2004, 11:09 AM
You win with stars and A-R's that AND an offensive post player.

We could send you Pollard! As a post player this year, few have been more offensive. :laugh:

Nah - we got Mutombo already. Our fair share of uncoordinated, ugly shots.