PDA

View Full Version : Indiana/Toronto and Indiana/Charlotte

thunderbird1245
08-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Indiana trades Jeff Foster and Rawle Marshall to Toronto
Toronto trades Mo Peterson and a conditional second round pick in 07 to Indiana.

Why for Toronto: Raptors need a rebounder....they were near the bottom in almost every rebounding category last season. The acquisitions theyve made this off season make Peterson expendable, who is he is a free agent they apparently might not resign next summer. Marshall gives them a young swing man for cheap money, and if he doesnt make their team they keep the pick they give Indiana on a conditional basis.

Why for Indiana: We save money for this season, and thin our roster a bit. Peterson is a perfect cheap compliment as a shooter and team guy to what we have in place now. Getting back potentially to near the top of the second round is a nice bonus for us in next years deep draft.....only if Marshalll works out for Toronto of course.

Losing Foster stings a bit but we plan on playing smaller this year anyway. If we wanted, we could sign a free agent big man to a small vet minimum type contract as insurance if we so chose.

Trade 2: Indiana trades Josh Powell and cash to Charlotte
Charlotte trades us a conditional 2nd rounder in 07 draft.

Why for Charlotte: They are under the minimum total salary for the NBA, so taking on a player doesnt hurt them at all money wise. Powell provides them some minimal insurance in case Ely leaves them. The pick is contingent on Powell making their roster.

Why for Indiana: Powell isnt likely to make our team anyway, and this gets us something for him. Charlotte's second round pick in next years deep draft is likely to be in the 30's, not far from where our own first round pick wouldve been that we gave away recently to Atlanta.

Hicks
08-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I like your first trade, but not your second. In a few years Powell may have a role on this team. Although, the same could be said for Marshall. I forget which was supposed to have the most likely chance at being a rotation player someday.

thunderbird1245
08-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I like your first trade, but not your second. In a few years Powell may have a role on this team. Although, the same could be said for Marshall. I forget which was supposed to have the most likely chance at being a rotation player someday.

Well, if you get to the end of Sept, right before camp, and you think Powell won't make your team, you'd be wise to trade him someplace before his contract becomes guaranteed on Oct 1. Charlotte seems like a logical place for him, just due to the fact that they are under the cap, and might like a young player at relatively little risk.

If by some miracle both trades worked out for us, we'd potentially have 2 picks in next years draft at about positions 30-40 or so.....we could dtill get good players there, or we could trade up into the 20's if there was a player we coveted from somebody.

JMO

Young
08-24-2006, 12:33 PM
The first trade wouldn't be smart.

You do that trade and make no other moves and here is the roster:

SG: Daniels/Jackson/White
SF: Granger/Peterson/Williams
PF: Harrington/Baston/Powell
C: O'Neal/Harrison/Edwards

Trade doesn't affect the point guard position so I didn't bother to list it.

But anyways that leaves us with 4 players who are going to command starter minuates in Granger, Jackson, Daniels, and Peterson. 3, we can handle. 4 we can not. Now i'd love to have our 3 main players at the 2-3 be Peterson, Granger, and Daniels as the 6th man but we HAVE to trade Jackson before we can go after Peterson. And we would have to get a big for Jackson because we couldn't trade him for another swingman.

Could we send Jackson to the Bucks? Maybe for Skinner and ? but I sort of doubt the Bucks have interest in Jackson since they just acquired Ruben Patterson.

Then take a look at our 4-5 positions, look at our backups. They SUCK. Sure Harrison could play well, Baston too, but I don't want to roll the dice on them. I don't have that much faith in those guys. And signing Antoino Davis or Melvin Ely isn't going to give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside about our backups at that position.

But before we could make that trade with Toronto I think we have to have Jackson shipped off for a big man.

Also, why do the Bobcats do the trade? If they, or any team, really wants Powell they probably can wait until we cut him. I think that sure we would take a second round pick for him but he ain't a player that you can't afford to just cut and get nothing in return. So teams aren't going to offer us anything if they want him, IMO, because they can just wait for us to cut him and sign him then.

thunderbird1245
08-24-2006, 01:20 PM
The first trade wouldn't be smart.

You do that trade and make no other moves and here is the roster:

SG: Daniels/Jackson/White
SF: Granger/Peterson/Williams
PF: Harrington/Baston/Powell
C: O'Neal/Harrison/Edwards

Trade doesn't affect the point guard position so I didn't bother to list it.

But anyways that leaves us with 4 players who are going to command starter minuates in Granger, Jackson, Daniels, and Peterson. 3, we can handle. 4 we can not. Now i'd love to have our 3 main players at the 2-3 be Peterson, Granger, and Daniels as the 6th man but we HAVE to trade Jackson before we can go after Peterson. And we would have to get a big for Jackson because we couldn't trade him for another swingman.

Could we send Jackson to the Bucks? Maybe for Skinner and ? but I sort of doubt the Bucks have interest in Jackson since they just acquired Ruben Patterson.

Then take a look at our 4-5 positions, look at our backups. They SUCK. Sure Harrison could play well, Baston too, but I don't want to roll the dice on them. I don't have that much faith in those guys. And signing Antoino Davis or Melvin Ely isn't going to give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside about our backups at that position.

But before we could make that trade with Toronto I think we have to have Jackson shipped off for a big man.

Also, why do the Bobcats do the trade? If they, or any team, really wants Powell they probably can wait until we cut him. I think that sure we would take a second round pick for him but he ain't a player that you can't afford to just cut and get nothing in return. So teams aren't going to offer us anything if they want him, IMO, because they can just wait for us to cut him and sign him then.

Some good points Rommie.

In my own mind, and maybe Ill end up being wrong, I envision Daniels playing some of his minutes at the point. Im not a Sarunas fan, and have my doubts whether he will hold up over the long haul. So among the four players you mention, If this trade was made, and Jackson stays, Id see the minutes broken down like this approximately:

Daniels: 30 minutes a game total.....20 minutes at PG, 10 at SG

That leaves 86 minutes per night left among 2 spots (SG and SF) with 3 players to divide them (Granger, Peterson, Jackson) I think that can work. That total would increase a bit when you consider possible injuries, or if Daniels has to to play the point full time as a starter if/when Tinsley goes down.

The reality of how Im thinking about how it would work obviously is tilted by the fact that Im not sure about James White yet, and how much he can contribute. This trade initially assumes that as a rookie he will play sparingly....but if he is ready for more then that might make the moves I was recommending mute. Also, as Im assuming Daniels in my view can get 20 minutes per game at the PG, that tells you that I have little faith in Sarunas. If Im proven to be wrong about that then also this move might not look as smart.

Im also worried about Jeff's health issues, in particular his back, and am of the mind to trade him now while he still is at a near peak value. He has alot of wear and tear on his body, and in my judgment could be a guy who could break down in the future, leaving us without a "solid" backup anyway. I'm comfortable with replacing him with a cheaper big body if necessary.

Even if we did this trade, only to find that White CAN play, and that we didnt really need Peterson, he has an expiring contract. Thats a big help for next summer, as we will be able to use that money to get a long term upgrade for Foster at that time.

In terms of the Charlotte trade, I agree that they could wait until he is potentially released.....but then Powell would have 28 other options to choose from, in addition to overseas offers. There is no information Im aware of that leads me to believe he'd pick Charlotte over any other team if given the choice. If he works out its a low risk move for the Bobcats, if he doesn't, then no harm done as they can release him and retain thier pick.

JMO

Young
08-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Some good points Rommie.

In my own mind, and maybe Ill end up being wrong, I envision Daniels playing some of his minutes at the point. Im not a Sarunas fan, and have my doubts whether he will hold up over the long haul. So among the four players you mention, If this trade was made, and Jackson stays, Id see the minutes broken down like this approximately:

Daniels: 30 minutes a game total.....20 minutes at PG, 10 at SG

That leaves 86 minutes per night left among 2 spots (SG and SF) with 3 players to divide them (Granger, Peterson, Jackson) I think that can work. That total would increase a bit when you consider possible injuries, or if Daniels has to to play the point full time as a starter if/when Tinsley goes down.

The reality of how Im thinking about how it would work obviously is tilted by the fact that Im not sure about James White yet, and how much he can contribute. This trade initially assumes that as a rookie he will play sparingly....but if he is ready for more then that might make the moves I was recommending mute. Also, as Im assuming Daniels in my view can get 20 minutes per game at the PG, that tells you that I have little faith in Sarunas. If Im proven to be wrong about that then also this move might not look as smart.

Im also worried about Jeff's health issues, in particular his back, and am of the mind to trade him now while he still is at a near peak value. He has alot of wear and tear on his body, and in my judgment could be a guy who could break down in the future, leaving us without a "solid" backup anyway. I'm comfortable with replacing him with a cheaper big body if necessary.

Even if we did this trade, only to find that White CAN play, and that we didnt really need Peterson, he has an expiring contract. Thats a big help for next summer, as we will be able to use that money to get a long term upgrade for Foster at that time.

In terms of the Charlotte trade, I agree that they could wait until he is potentially released.....but then Powell would have 28 other options to choose from, in addition to overseas offers. There is no information Im aware of that leads me to believe he'd pick Charlotte over any other team if given the choice. If he works out its a low risk move for the Bobcats, if he doesn't, then no harm done as they can release him and retain thier pick.

JMO

Ahh see I don't see Daniels playing to much point unless we have injuries. Atleast not in the beginning because i'm thinking that Saras will get a chance to play the point. And to be honest I really don't think the point is one of Daniel's strengths, he has the skills but I don't know that he is really at his best when he is running the show but I guess I haven't seen enough of him to know for sure.

I don't mind trading Foster, especially for MoPete. In fact I was thinking that MoPete would be a great fit in here with Al right before I opened up this thread. I just think that we need to get another proven big man in here to be a backup to make Jeff expandable.

That's a good point about the Charolette trade. I'v never thought of it like that before.

thunderbird1245
08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, it just really depends on whether you like the offensive advantages of playing Sarunas, or the defensive advantages of playing Daniels at the point....its a tough call either way. Being a defensive guy, and a guy who believes that the most important defensive position on the whole floor is point guard, I lean to Daniels.....but I understand how others would disagree.

If we keep Sarunas, I hope he plays well and proves me wrong. As it is, I wouldnt be devastated if my trade expanded and included him going to Toronto as well in a bigger deal, but I doubt that happens.