PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the game 1/23/04

Hicks
01-23-2004, 09:47 AM
What are the keys to tonight's matchup?

I'd say it's keeping the defense intensity up where it's been recently, frustrate Yao Ming, and keep their guards in check.

I was originally going to post more but just saw what time it is, I gotta run! :o

Hopefully this thread will get some responses to flesh things out. Cya all this evening!

Harddrive7
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
I think it's going to be one of those grind it out games. I think we need to come out strong and make them play catch up then grind it out in the fourth.

My main concern is Tinsley on Francis. Another fast gaurd for us to have to deal with but another good test to see how far Tins has come.

I think Foster will frustrate Ming, Maybe try to keep him from getting the ball where he wants it.

IMO this will be a tougher game then some people think. One of those grind it out games for sure.

indygeezer
01-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Control Yao (and Pollard may be really BIG here)

keep Jackson out of the game...(AJ you're up to bat here)

Watch out for Cato...don't let their bench men get rolling (Pollard again)

I have a feeling that Jeff is gonna be in foul trouble right off the bat as Houston will attack the middle with Ming from the git-go.

PaceBalls
01-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Here is what I see with the Rockets. They have a great center and selfish players who won't feed him in the post. Cuttino and Steve are all about gettin theirs on offense. You almost dont have to worry about Yao cause he never gets enough touches to really really destroy teams like say TD or JO does. Which is why Mark Jackson was brought in IMO.

They are a great defensive team though.

Pacers should smoke em, they are the more complete team right now.

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I think Jax may be the only backup pg on the planet that AJ can actually keep up with. However he is the only "true pg" he will have to deal with and it worries me that the usual 10 to 15 points we spot the other team while AJ is in the game may be even more tonight with Jax feeding Yao.

The good thing is that Franchise wont feed him while he is in there. I would like to see Kenny play the backup tonight because at least he is more of a true pg to go up against Jax. It does not seem likely.

I do think we will see Foster fronting the post a lot tonight but that may backfire since Yao is so tall the ball can be thrown very high. If we get burned twice in a row on that I expect them to start trying to keep him as far out as possible.

Key to the game may be simply not forgeting that Jermaine is in the game for long stretches like they seemed to do in the Detroit game. There were a couple of times where Jermaine did not even touch the ball on offense for three or four minute stretches. He needs to have the ball in the 4th quarter as much as possible.

Should be a slug fest I cant wait!

DisplacedKnick
01-23-2004, 11:08 AM
A couple of things I'd look at.

First, if Yao's hitting those 20-footers like he was against us, you can forget about stopping him. I do think JO will be able to defend him better out on the floor than we did.

Stop the ball early before franchise can get deep into the lane. Outside of him and Yao, the rest of the team won't really hurt you if they're covered - not a lot of great one-on-one players.

Just look for a grinding game. JVG has Houston playing defense the way he likes for the most part. And rebound. On offense I think JO will be able to out-quick whoever's on him but he has to take the ball aggressively to the basket. Yao or Cato are tall enough to probably bother his outside shot but he should be able to put the ball on the floor.

I think Indy wins this one. The defenses are roughly equal and you outnumber them in a big way on players who can make things happen. But you'll have to work for it - JVG doesn't make things easy for anyone.

Anthem
01-23-2004, 12:18 PM
JO needs to have a big night and put Houston's front line in foul trouble.

Tinsley (aka Jax2k) needs to have a good game, offensively and defensively (shouldn't be hard against Mark, though :D)

ROCislandWarrior
01-23-2004, 01:12 PM
1. Transiton Baskets...Rockets Play good half-court D, if the pacers can turn TO's in Fast break points we could have a blow out

2. Stop penetration...If francis goes nuts and forces Jermaine and Foster/pollard to help...who is going to stop YAO?

3. Get Reggie going...if Artest/Oneal/Harrington are able to contribute we are tough to beat...if we add reggie to that list...we are almost impossible to beat

waxman
01-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Front Yao to start, with lots of weakside help...like we did against Duncan...Pollard should get alot of PT tonight.

this will probably be a grind it out game...but I'd like to see us push the ball a little...make Yao get up and down the court... Foster is tough for opposing centers to keep up with. This might help get Yao in fould trouble as well.

Make Francis and Mobley beat us from the outside.

Harrington and Taylor will be a nice matchup of Sixth men... Al should be able to out-quick him...especially when he "faces-up" in that 12-15 ft range...

Jamal has got to keep Francis working on Defense...

Pacers will have to hit their perimeter shots tonight... It will be a tough night in the paint with all the big bodies...Yao, and Cato.