PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Re-Enter The Al Harrington Stakes?

Will Galen
08-06-2006, 05:53 AM
http://www3.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41810/20060806/wolves_re_enter_the_al_harrington_stakes/

"Wolves Re-Enter The Al Harrington Stakes?" Is a RealGM headline. I don't see how they came up with that title since the Wolves only merit one line in the article. The full article is from the Boston Herald below.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=151616&format=&page=3

Harrington rep now a ‘free agent,’ too
By Mark Murphy/ NBA Notes
Sunday, August 6, 2006

Blame is one of the primary hazards assumed by an agent.

Emotions can get a little arbitrary when athletes enter free agency, and the middle man has to pray that there isn’t a lot of crossfire.

But that’s where agent Andy Miller found himself last week - dead center in Al Harrington’s frustration.

Harrington, the most desirable free agent left on the market, fired Miller when a long-anticipated sign-and-trade deal between his most recent team, Atlanta, and his original team, Indiana, failed to materialize.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight, in keeping a disciplined eye on the salary cap, is asking for draft picks instead of veteran contracts in any Harrington deal, and the Pacers haven’t been able to offer the right package - all of this despite the allure of a $7.5 million trade exception that would make most deals work.

Other teams - with Minnesota reportedly showing renewed interest - have re-entered the mix, guaranteeing a prolonged drama.

Miller, replaced by the high-powered Arn Tellem, will survive just fine, even if he had every right to get hot when his client decided to shoot the messenger.

Perhaps Tellem can make a difference - talking Knight into flexibility appears to be the greatest challenge at hand - but Harrington could easily begin September not knowing his next destination.

“You can’t blame (Knight),” one league general manager said. “He can’t be expected to take on other people’s garbage just to make a deal work, and that’s what always happens in these situations - you get offered everyone’s garbage. Why should he take on a bad contract like (Indiana center) Jeff Foster’s? He’s doing the right thing here.”

Harrington’s disappointment is certainly palpable.

Like fellow power forwards Drew Gooden and Chris Wilcox, who are depending on Cleveland and Seattle, respectively, to co-operate in sign-and-trade deals, Knight started July with the notion that a long-term deal with a first-year salary of $10 million was available.

At the moment Harrington may be a lot closer to starting in the neighborhood of that $7.5 million trade exception, which may be why he’s digging in his heels. Knight doesn’t want to take on much more than that space.

In the meantime, Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh is trying to come up with Plan B, though it won’t come close to filling the need that Harrington, a high-scoring and rebounding small forward, would probably fill.

“We’ll spend the rest of the summer developing something that we think will be good,” said Walsh, who is clearly prepared to wait this situation out. “If we lose him, we still have the trade exception.

“I don’t see anybody in the market other than Al,” he said of the player who would fit Indiana’s primary need for a small forward to fill the hole left first by Ron Artest and, now, the departed Peja Stojakovic. “At the same time, I think through trades there may be somebody out there who fits our team. I’ve got some people in mind. We’ll have to see.”

That said, most NBA types still expect Harrington to return to Indiana once Tellem gives the market a fresh test.

But it ultimately may be Harrington who has to lower his expectations.

“Normally, I don’t think Al Harrington is a guy who should be getting more than the mid-level,” said the anonymous general manager. “How do you explain what a guy like Nene ($60 million over five years from Denver) is getting? There’s no rhyme or reason to it. Some guys luck out, and some guys don’t.”

The Truth is expensive

Vince Carter, like Paul Pierce, will make $15.1 million this season.

Also like Pierce, before the Celtics forward signed a three-year extension worth $54 million after next season, the Nets guard could opt out of his $16.3 million option two years down the road.

Though Carter told the New Jersey media last week that he was unaware of Pierce’s new bonanza, the die has been cast.

Pierce, by signing his extension, has set the new standard for a very interesting group of players.

Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzski and Wizards forward Antawn Jamison are in the same club, with $15.1 million seasons on tap followed by $16.3 option years.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is probably already counting his Nowitzski money along the lines of the Pierce deal. Jamison, who can thank Cuban for the fact he’s in this category, may have a tougher call in Washington.

But Carter doesn’t seem to be worried.

“I just let it be, and when the time comes, we’ll deal with it,” he said. “Summertime is for relaxation. If I worried about that now, I’d be a miserable man.”

Team USA jump-start

Team USA’s first game of the 2004 Olympics would be hard for anyone monitoring the health of stateside hoops to forget.

Puerto Rico, in previous years an ambitious sparring partner, whipped the Larry Brown-coached scream team by a near unfathomable 92-73 score.

We’re not sure who lined up Puerto Rico for Team USA’s first practice game as a tuneup for the World Championships in Japan later this month, but it may have qualified as the feel-good move of the summer.

Mike Krzyzewski’s new-look team thrashed Puerto Rico in Las Vegas last week, 116-82, enabling his team to build a little early self-esteem.

Consider the reaction of Gilbert Arenas when the United States’ territorial rivals initially took the floor.

“You can’t hold anything back, even in a scrimmage,” the Wizards guard said. “They’re walking around with their chests out because they beat us the last time.

“Right now, no one fears us. So we have to get our respect back, and it starts now.”

Carmelo Anthony, who suffered under Brown’s withering watch and walked out of the 2004 Athens Games labeled as a malcontent - a la Pierce under George Karl in the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis - was given the chance to take the lead.

He scored 23 points off the bench.

“We want every one of our guys to feel important,” said Krzyzewski, touching on what may be one important difference between now and Greece. “We have to keep everyone invested at the highest level for this to work.”

At least they appear to be starting in the right way.

rexnom
08-06-2006, 05:57 AM
What makes me mad is that each passing day we wait, we lose out on other possible TE opportunities.

Haggard
08-06-2006, 06:07 AM
What makes me mad is that each passing day we wait, we lose out on other possible TE opportunities.

True, it's really getting to the stage where we have to decide to persue Harrington or look elsewhere to use the TE

Will Galen
08-06-2006, 06:58 AM

That's not really a problem. Its a big trade exception so a good trade possibility will always be there. Right now, Al would be okay, but I would just as soon wait and not use it until later.

That's because the best deals are always available near the trade deadline in Feb. That's when teams try to set themselves up for a stretch run or dump salary because they are far enough into the season to know they aren't going anywhere. The exception would also be nice to have next year to facilitate a trade during the NBA draft.

Both of the above situations could get us a player equal to Al. Maybe much better if it's used during the draft.

One other point. If we used it in Feb, it would no doubt be for someone that could really help us, much like Detroit picking up Resheed Wallace a couple years ago.

Unclebuck
08-06-2006, 08:16 AM
You know I have to chime in on this. That "one league GM" that considers Foster's a bad contract most be either insane or want Foster on his team.

Foster does not have a bad contract. What world is he living in

able
08-06-2006, 08:25 AM
You know I have to chime in on this. That "one league GM" that considers Foster's a bad contract most be either insane or want Foster on his team.

I think he failed to mention that it was a GM in his fantasy league.

FrenchConnection
08-06-2006, 09:04 AM
That's not really a problem. Its a big trade exception so a good trade possibility will always be there. Right now, Al would be okay, but I would just as soon wait and not use it until later.

That's because the best deals are always available near the trade deadline in Feb. That's when teams try to set themselves up for a stretch run or dump salary because they are far enough into the season to know they aren't going anywhere. The exception would also be nice to have next year to facilitate a trade during the NBA draft.

Both of the above situations could get us a player equal to Al. Maybe much better if it's used during the draft.

One other point. If we used it in Feb, it would no doubt be for someone that could really help us, much like Detroit picking up Resheed Wallace a couple years ago.

At the time of that trade, Rasheed made closer to 15 million dollars. Teams do not dump good players with contracts of 7.6 million dollars.

And, yeah, UB I noticed that too. The only explanation for the comment about Jeff Foster's contract is that either someone is on crack, or Billy Knight made the comment. The end result is the same, is it not.

Mourning
08-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Was that the same GM that said Harrington normally isn't worth more then the MLE? I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of getting Al, but that's a stupid statement. $ 7.6mln is pefectly fine for Al. Now $ 9mln or $ 10mln that's another story.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

bulldog
08-06-2006, 09:21 AM

What makes me happy is that every day we wait, Harrington's salary inches a little closer to the midlevel.

rexnom
08-06-2006, 09:33 AM
What makes me happy is that every day we wait, Harrington's salary inches a little closer to the midlevel.
That's what you think. Explain to me how this is going to happen...how is Tellem going let this happen?

Shade
08-06-2006, 09:36 AM
“Normally, I don’t think Al Harrington is a guy who should be getting more than the mid-level,” said the anonymous general manager. “How do you explain what a guy like Nene ($60 million over five years from Denver) is getting? There’s no rhyme or reason to it. Some guys luck out, and some guys don’t.”

If I see this one more time, I'm going to scream. :scream:

Nene is a center. Al is not. Centers ALWAYS come at a premium because it is by far the most difficult position to fill. The two forward positions are the EASIEST to fill. It amazes me that a GM would be too stupid to realize this. It must be Billy Knight. :crazy2:

Btw, isn't the Nene deal for six years?

Shade
08-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Since when is Jeff even included in the trade, anyway?

rexnom
08-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Since when is Jeff even included in the trade, anyway?
My question is when did they turn to Billy King for GM advice?

Pacers#1Fan
08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure exactly how much stock to put in this article. Seems to me that this guy was just really close to not making his deadline.

bulldog
08-06-2006, 10:58 AM
That's what you think. Explain to me how this is going to happen...how is Tellem going let this happen?

People have this marvelous awe of sports agents, these supermen who control the fates of nations...

Give me a break. If there isn't a market for Al, what is he going to do? Remember, Chris Wilcox and Drew Gooden are still out there, and the only teams with significant money/exceptions are Bobcats (too conservative) and us.

Now, I agree it's a risky move to wait, just because someone can always convince Atlanta to take a bad sign-and-trade, and I want to sign Al ASAP. I'm only pointing out that this whole episode indicates that the market for Harrington isn't as great as he thought it was going to be, and that this could potentially work out great for us.

I'm someone who doesn't think Al is exactly what we need, but I'd love to take him if he comes cheap, because you don't turn down young talent at that price.

DisplacedKnick
08-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Was that the same GM that said Harrington normally isn't worth more then the MLE? I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of getting Al, but that's a stupid statement. $ 7.6mln is pefectly fine for Al. Now $ 9mln or $ 10mln that's another story.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

I'll disagree here, for the sake of discussion anyway. I think the MLE is just about what he's worth. Sure - he was an 18 and 7 player for the Hawks - but Stephen Jackson scored 18 ppg for the Hawks. For the Pacers he's probably a 13 and 7 player who's a pretty good defender. He's also left the team once already because he wasn't happy with his role - how happy will he be with reduced touches and scoring opportunities?

IMO he's certainly not worth as much as Gooden. Wilcox is debatable - Wilcox has a higher upside but Harrington's shown more so far.

Giving him 7.6 to start certainly isn't the worst FA signing in history. But it's more than a good role player who isn't outstanding in any aspect of the game should probably get.

To put it in perspective, that's more than the last major FA - a center - that the Pacers lost received his first season with a contract that everyone was screaming was too much. In six years Harrington would be making about 12 million - assuming the contract's structured with equal raises each season and is the 57 million over 6 seasons that's been reported.

That's too high.

Bball
08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
This article seems to say Al would be playing SF which means Granger isn't starting. So, unless Foster is part of the deal, we get JO-Al-Foster.

No thanks...

Hopefully the writer was making assumptions... but it's not the first time we've seen that lineup mentioned.

-Bball

Pacers#1Fan
08-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Hopefully Harrison has matured over the summer because if Granger isn't starting (which I would prefer he did) I would love to see an Al-JO-Hulk starting lineup. That would be HUGE!

Jon Theodore
08-06-2006, 12:12 PM
David Harriston could be a superstar caliber player like Shaq just based on the body he has, i am surprised no one can make him realize if he grows up a bit he can be that good. I'm not saying I ever think he will develop into that player, just saying he clearly has the potential to do so, his attitude just sucks as we all know. I mean i'd argue he has a better shooting tough right now than Shaq, he just can't for the life of him stay out of foul trouble.

End harrison rant.

PacerFan31
08-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Didn't see this posted above.

McKeyFan
08-06-2006, 03:05 PM
For the Pacers he's probably a 13 and 7 player who's a pretty good defender. He's also left the team once already because he wasn't happy with his role - how happy will he be with reduced touches and scoring opportunities?

I don't think reduced scoring opportunities will affect Al so much. I'm actually not a proponent of getting Al, but I think Al's issues previously had to do with the fact that arguably our best player was ahead of him in the lineup and there was nothing in sight to indicate Al would ever start.

So, when he did go in, he forced a lot of shots to try to prove his worth. If he returns, he shouldn't be as threatened (provided he's playing 4 and not competing with Granger). I think he will show himself to be a more mature, secure, solid player who exercises good shot selection and is happy to contribute at several levels, which he has the ability to do.

That said, I think what we really need is a point guard and an enema (Jax and Tins).

avoidingtheclowns
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
David Harriston could be a superstar caliber player like Shaq

i believe they said the same things about oliver miller. ouch.

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't think reduced scoring opportunities will affect Al so much. I'm actually not a proponent of getting Al, but I think Al's issues previously had to do with the fact that arguably our best player was ahead of him in the lineup and there was nothing in sight to indicate Al would ever start.

So, when he did go in, he forced a lot of shots to try to prove his worth. If he returns, he shouldn't be as threatened (provided he's playing 4 and not competing with Granger). I think he will show himself to be a more mature, secure, solid player who exercises good shot selection and is happy to contribute at several levels, which he has the ability to do.

That said, I think what we really need is a point guard and an enema (Jax and Tins).
I agree with that, except I'm not big into seeing Jack gone (moderate) and really would prefer Tinsley stay and play healthy than swap him out for someone else (that they could actually get).

But the Al situation is dead-on. He's 25, he just now has hit the point where guys start to figure out what's what, both in the NBA and regular life, which go hand in hand IMO. People are way too hung up on the "he wanted to start/selfish" angle, a total misrepresentation of what that situation was. For me I didn't blame him one bit. Ron and JO were going nowhere, so he would go his whole career not starting just because he was behind 2 All-Star.

Like Rip Hamilton would want to spend his entire career behind Reggie Miller. His agent definitely wouldn't want that. For a few seasons is one thing, but for your career?

v_d_g
08-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I'll disagree here, for the sake of discussion anyway. I think the MLE is just about what he's worth. Sure - he was an 18 and 7 player for the Hawks - but Stephen Jackson scored 18 ppg for the Hawks. For the Pacers he's probably a 13 and 7 player who's a pretty good defender. He's also left the team once already because he wasn't happy with his role - how happy will he be with reduced touches and scoring opportunities?

IMO he's certainly not worth as much as Gooden. Wilcox is debatable - Wilcox has a higher upside but Harrington's shown more so far.

Giving him 7.6 to start certainly isn't the worst FA signing in history. But it's more than a good role player who isn't outstanding in any aspect of the game should probably get.

To put it in perspective, that's more than the last major FA - a center - that the Pacers lost received his first season with a contract that everyone was screaming was too much. In six years Harrington would be making about 12 million - assuming the contract's structured with equal raises each season and is the 57 million over 6 seasons that's been reported.

That's too high.

AL

is

not

CLUTCH

why do we need to play the retard's (King's) games

when we can just hold on to next year's #1 and possibly get an impact player.

AL won't make much difference in the scheme of things. He'd didn't last time around, when he had a much better supporting squad to work with.

Let him go. Focus on developing Granger and Harrison, and the rookies.

v_d_g
08-06-2006, 08:31 PM

That's too high.

AL

is

not

CLUTCH

why do we need to play the retard's (King's) games

when we can just hold on to next year's #1 and possibly get an impact player.

AL won't make much difference in the scheme of things. He didn't first time around, when he had a much better supporting squad to work with.

Let him go. Focus on developing Granger and Harrison, the rookies, and the rest of the young players.

Kegboy
08-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I love how everybody says Knight's an idiot for refusing to give Al to us for nothing.

Hicks
08-06-2006, 10:56 PM
A first round pick and millions of free money is nothing? When the alternative is to lose him for ACTUALLY nothing?

SoupIsGood
08-06-2006, 11:00 PM
A first round pick and millions of free money is nothing? When the alternative is to lose him for ACTUALLY nothing?

True. And we'd probably send them players if they even wanted any.

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2006, 11:57 PM
True. And we'd probably send them players if they even wanted any.
Plus, the more salary we sent to them the more we would get in a newly created Delayed Trade Exception.

If we sent Foster as part of the deal for example, AL would still go into the TE space, so we would get nothing back for Foster's cap space...ie, we would create a NEW TE space equal to his cap value.

BK is being pretty stubborn about his desires when everyone else is trying to work other things out with him, just ask Golden State or Harrington taking only 7.6m in a SnT.