PDA

View Full Version : ABA movie

kdog
08-06-2006, 01:59 AM
I heard Will Ferrell this past Monday on Dan Patrick's show say that he had just signed on to shoot a movie about the ABA this next February. He didn't say what his role would be, but the premise of the film is that he is with a team in Flint MI who fighting for the fourth and final NBA slot as the ABA is folding. Sorry, no link as this was on the radio. Having heard stories about the ABA, this could be entertaining.

Kdog

redwillow
08-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Sounds interesting. Will's the man. I don't know much about the ABA. Could you tell me some cool stuff you know that might be in the movie?

kdog
08-06-2006, 03:55 AM
"Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto is a very readable history of the league. I just looked it up on amazon, and there are a number of reviews which highlight bits of the book. I read it about 10 years ago and remember enjoying the read, even if the details are fuzzy. I was about six when the ABA folded, so I have no first hand memories. Others who post here have spoken fondly of the ABA, so I'll defer to them.

Steve
08-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Here is a good link for you:

http://www.remembertheaba.com

ABADays
08-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Will Farrell would be a good parody character from the ABA. And trust me - there were some characters. I have some reservation about how they would handle the story line. I mean c'mon, Farell's humor is about as sophmorish as it gets.

If you are truly interested in the old ABA, someone had mentioned the book Loose Balls. Highly recommended.

indygeezer
08-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Yada yada yada

get over the ABA guys, he's gone and no longer a memb...oh wait a minute.

Some may remember that I provided two ABA VHS tapes to Hicks for copy and uploading. I believe it proved too large for the amount of space he had...or some other techie thing I'll never understand. Ah yes, fun to watch whenever I want to anyway. They are very poor quality tho...but at least I gottem!!!

Cactus Jax
08-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Talladega Nights was hilarious, and hit nascar pretty well (all the advertising was ridiculous) and I don't doubt that he could make a good ABA parody movie.

ABADays
08-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Yada yada yada

get over the ABA guys, he's gone and no longer a memb...oh wait a minute.

Some may remember that I provided two ABA VHS tapes to Hicks for copy and uploading. I believe it proved too large for the amount of space he had...or some other techie thing I'll never understand. Ah yes, fun to watch whenever I want to anyway. They are very poor quality tho...but at least I gottem!!!

Gee thanks!

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2006, 10:21 PM
This sounds like something right in his wheelhouse. The crazy promotions (cheerleaders in bikinis, etc), the whole late 60's/70's stuff like we saw in Anchorman, the almost Used Cars feel around the final buy-out deal.

As long as the ABA fans around here (including me) don't take it too personal when he turns it all into a total joke. I wouldn't expect anything respecting the ABA, other than to delight in and appreciate the zaniness of that era.

I hope this project comes through and gets done.