PDA

View Full Version : Potential Laker Deal for Al Harrington

ToTheAtom
08-05-2006, 07:56 PM
I live in Southern California and I was in the car about an hour ago when I heard a potential deal being discussed on 570am. There was no mention of a source for the rumor - I only heard it in passing - so it may be nothing more than just that, a rumor.

Anyhow, the deal was for Al Harrington to move to the Lakers in exchange for Andrew Bynum, Smush Parker and a 2007 1st round pick. I'm skeptical that salaries would work out on this deal, however, it does make sense for the Hawks because they would be receiving very reasonable contracts, the first round pick that they want, and a young big man with a lot of up-side. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Unclebuck
08-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I think there was a thread about this same rumor a day ago or something. Or is this a new rumor

FrenchConnection
08-05-2006, 08:01 PM
THe money is not even close. Also, I don't think that the Lakers are ready to give up on Bynum yet. Finally, how does it make sense for the Lakers to acquire Al. They just signed Radmanovich to play the 3 and Odom will move to the 4. They have even less use for Al than the Pacers do.

Kegboy
08-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Can we sign Al and trade him for Bynum? Please?

Pig Nash
08-05-2006, 08:40 PM
There's too much smoke here for there to be nothing. I'm not confident about Al being a Pacer anymore.

PacerFan31
08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm not buying this.

If it were true, someone else would've picked it up by now. The article about the Lakers and Bobcats was PURE SPECULATION, and now some radio host has picked up the story and ran.

If you read what some Laker fans have to say, the guy who made the story up is not credible.

But at anyrate, if Al doesn't come to the Pacers, I don't really care anymore. Donnie will do something else with the TE to make us all forget about Al.

Jon Theodore
08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Does anyone really think there are THAT many options regarding the TE? I mean i was under the assumption that Donnie pretty much got this TE expecting to use it on the Al deal. It all seemed to be in place.

Let me know if anyone knows of any possible scenarios, but isn't the TE just used for us to trade someone with a lower salary for someone with a higher salary. Normally lower salary players aren't as good as higher salary ones....

I am going to be really worried if we dont get Al, we don't have that many other options and I doubt too many players in the league are dying to come to Indiana.

Al is a good player in this league and he seemingly wants to come here. If we don't get Al we better get Bonzi. You need GOOD players to win.

redwillow
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
How much say does Al have in all this? I know NBA trades can be very complicated and I'm not really sure how it works. If he has the final say I don't see why he would go anywhere else. I also don't see why Atlanta would suddenly start looking to take contracts on after all this huff about not wanting to get players in return. I really hope this all just a rumor. Even if they got us someone else of equal value to Al I would be VERY disapointed. On a side note, the Hawks should get a great pick in next year's draft when they finish in the bottom 5.

Eric_Pincus
08-05-2006, 10:15 PM
yeah - it was Hacksaw Hamilton on local radio - and let's just say that Hacksaw does not have a good reputation when it comes to NBA. He knows things about football training camp - NASCAR - etc - but basically oblivious when it comes to NBA.

A general rule of thumb around the Laker fan communities is to discount anything this guy says.

In theory if a deal was in the works - LA could do Bynum + Smush + McKie and Von Wafer (non-guaranteed) and that would be enough to get Harrington enough money.

That said - I don't see LA giving up Bynum for Harrington - and certainly not Bynum\Smush AND a #1 - may as well just throw in Kobe while they're at it . . .

Phil
08-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense for the Lakers to be after a point guard than another forward?

-Phil

fooddaman
08-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I think there was a thread about this same rumor a day ago or something. Or is this a new rumor

UB - I believe this is a new one. I posted an article by Eric about the bobcats playing the third team in helping the lakers land Al.

Eindar
08-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Wow, this trade is actually worse than the one from yesterday. As I said there, the Lakers are thin at PG and C. Why they would give up their only prospect at C and their best PG for what will amount to a backup starting at 7 million is beyond me.

Eric_Pincus
08-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Lakers have 3 centers - Kwame, Mihm + Bynum - Kwame is unable to play the 4 in the triangle and he has shown an ability to be a top notch man defender. Of course Kwame can't block any shots - but he's pencilled in as the starting center. Bynum is considered the future - they hope to get him 12-15 mpg this year. There's not much burn available for Mihm.

The Lakers just brought in 2 guards - Shammond Williams and Mo Evans - plus Kobe - and then you have Smush and Sasha Vujacic. They also want to sign Laron Profit, Devin Green and draft pick JR Pinnock. Also on the roster are McKie and Von Wafer.

The Lakers are flat out overloaded with guards - mind you other than Kobe none that should be starting or are particularly good - but they're apparently done on that front.

The team has also talked about moving Odom to the backcourt . . .

At the 3/4 they have Odom, Vlad, Walton, Cook and Turiaf - with Cook the most expendable.

Everyone figured they'd try to get a starting guard but they went and used their BAE on Shammond Williams.

The rumors that have been leaking about LA have all been about them trying to land one more forward - be it a 3 or 4.

They love David West (unavailable), tried earlier to get Al Harrington, may be eyeing Gooden, etc. Boozer has been a target for a couple of years now.

I think the hope is to send out 3-5 players to bring in 1-2 - like Mihm, Cook, Wafer (non-guaranteed), McKie, etc - add forward depth to try Odom at the starting one.

Frankly it gives me a headache.

JayRedd
08-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Wow, this trade is actually worse than the one from yesterday. As I said there, the Lakers are thin at PG and C. Why they would give up their only prospect at C and their best PG for what will amount to a backup starting at 7 million is beyond me.

You really don't need a true point to run the triangle. You just need guys that can handle the ball and make the right decision. I'm sure Phil would much rather get a Ron Harper/Brian Shaw-type guy to bring the ball up when Kobe doesn't want to. Odom is pretty capable of handling this role if need be, and I guarentee Phil could give a flying flip if Smush Parker is on the team or not. He just wants talent.

Giving up on Bynum seems like backing out early, but LA is a win-now city and Al is a lot more valuable in the next year or two than Bynum will be.

My guess is that both Phil and Kupchak just want some talent, and given their cap situation and lack of "chips", Bynum might have to be another team's "project" to either go bust or jackpot with.

I'd take Bynum in a minute though. Kid will be nice.

Peck
08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
On a side note, how happy are you guys with Bynum?

In the very few times I've seen him on the floor I just can't help but get the idea that this guy will one day be a monster in this league.

Long arms, big NBA but & great size.

Plus you guys have done it right by having Kareem tutor the guy. I would love to think that in 5 years that Bynum & Harrison will be one of the premier center battles, however after last season & so far this off-season I am a little down on David at the moment.

Do you guys expect this guy to explode or just be a good NBA center?

ToTheAtom
08-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I've watched quite a few Lakers games. Believe me, Smush Parker is not the answer to their point guard situation. And, as has been stated by a lot of the media around here, Andrew Bynum is at least another two or three years away from consistently contributing. Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom are in the prime of their careers. If they don't make a significant move soon they are going to waste that opportunity. It would be like the Pacers deciding to wait around for Shawne Williams to develop while squandering some of Jermaine's best years.

Their biggest need right now is a second scorer to help Kobe. And, the poster above is right, Kwame Brown is their starting center. Chris Mihm is a solid backup. They've got size.. Al could play the 4, Lamar the 3, Kobe the 2, add one of the PGs on their roster, and bring Vlad Radmonovic and Luke Walton off the bench. Remember, both Kobe and Lamar can handle the ball. That's a solid roster and a legit contender in the West. In my opinion, the Lakers would be foolish not to make this trade work. But I don't think it will happen.

JayRedd
08-06-2006, 12:10 AM
I see the future.....

and it's ruled by four guys named Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, Andrew Bynum and Chris Bosh.

Those four, DWade and LeBron will get around 60 All-Star apperances between them.

Eric_Pincus
08-06-2006, 03:32 AM
It's hard to say exactly what the future holds for Bynum. He's Jim Buss' pet project - so he's not likely to be traded.

Looking at Bynum last year in summer league vs. this year - he made dramatic strides.

Last year he couldn't hold position to even get the ball - really had no clue and was disappointing.

This year he was basically a monster for half the summer league games - and kind of passive the other half. He's still trying to put it all together - but even his passive games were a ton better than what he looked like his first summer league.

It's a big debate among fans, media, etc - do you wait for Bynum - or cash out for a piece that can help you win now. Teams call the Lakers all the time for Bynum - thus far they haven't come close to biting.

I'm doubtful they send out Bynum to get Harrington - considering that Harrington isn't 100% a true need. LA needs to upgrade the talent as a whole - but they're probably a starting guard away from being at least a top 5 seed in the West.

Lord Helmet
08-06-2006, 05:32 AM
I really hope this rumor isn't legit. But as each day goes by; I get a worser feeling about our chances getting Al back.

When Al got a new agent I thought it was a bad thing, then I told myself it can only help. But, really, I'm fooling myself, the new agent will basically open up talks to the other teams that thought they were out of the Al hunt.

Damnit. :(

redwillow
08-06-2006, 05:38 AM
How much say does Al have in all this? I know NBA trades can be very complicated and I'm not really sure how it works.
I would still love some feedback on this question. If he has little input on this issue it's a coin toss if he ends up here. If he can choose it's unlikely he would scrap his plans for a home-coming so to speak.

Eric_Pincus
08-06-2006, 05:55 AM
let's say last summer that eddy curry really wanted to be a Laker - LA offering a nice, but not outrageous contract - a reasonable package to the Bulls with Mihm and pieces back.

NY comes in offers Curry a ton more money - and bends over royally giving the Bulls all kind of unprotected picks.

Right now Al is Curry - he wants to be a Pacer - but if a NY offer comes up from another team - sorry Indy.

That said I still see the Pacers as the most likely destination for Harrington.

Will Galen
08-06-2006, 06:28 AM
I would still love some feedback on this question. (How much say does Al have in all this?) If he has little input on this issue it's a coin toss if he ends up here. If he can choose it's unlikely he would scrap his plans for a home-coming so to speak.

Actually Al has all the say because he's an unrestricted free agent, meaning he can sign with anyone he chooses.

There's a big catch though. Al likely would command at least an average of ten million a year in a new contract, but only two teams can give him that amount outright, Atlanta and Charlotte. Charlotte doesn't want him and Atlanta wants to move him so it limits Al's options.

The best most other teams can offer to sign him outright is the mid-level exception of $5,215,000. Naturally that would be the last option for him, so he's at the mercy of Atlanta doing a sign and trade for him.

Atlanta doesn't want to take any players back, they want money and draft picks. This is what put the Pacers in the drivers seat with their $7.5 million trade exception. Per NBA rules you can add $100,000 to that making it worth $7.6 million.

Thus they could offer Al the biggest starting salary and a 6 year $57 million contract which he was willing to do to come to the Pacers.

However, the Pacers and Atlanta couldn't agree on the amount of cash and the protection offered the draft pick, bringing us to our present situation.

Other teams will try to work with Charlotte in a three way with Atlanta. However that doesn't look like it's going to happen as of now.

redwillow
08-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Exelent post, Will Galen, and thank you for responding to my question. In light of your perspective the Pacers should still be considered the front-runners in this episode.

Shade
08-06-2006, 09:41 AM
The proposed trade is horribly lopsided.

The salaries don't match.

The person who reported it is notorious for never being right.

It ain't happenin'.

bulldog
08-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Kwame Brown is their starting center. Chris Mihm is a solid backup. They've got size.. Al could play the 4, Lamar the 3, Kobe the 2, add one of the PGs on their roster, and bring Vlad Radmonovic and Luke Walton off the bench. Remember, both Kobe and Lamar can handle the ball. That's a solid roster and a legit contender in the West.
That would actually be a pretty good team...wow. And remember, this is the triangle we're talking about, and they have Kobe, so they don't need Steve Nash to make this work. They just need a solid perimeter defender that can hit an open J or two.