PDA

View Full Version : Mavs release 7'5 center

Brian
08-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Mavs just released this Pavel Podkolzin kid..didnt get much playing time.But damn...hes 7'5.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41802/20060804/mavs_waive_big_man_podkolzin/

I added a pole,should we sign this guy?.

aero
08-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I voted Hell Yes!!!..Hes 7 foot 5!!!, why ? i dont know lol

fooddaman
08-05-2006, 07:49 AM
I voted no. He would not fit in with an up and down the court game with the Pacers.

hoopsforlife
08-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I voted yes. We have roster spots to fill and 7' 5" doesn't grow on trees.
How many players do we have now? 19 or 20? Get him Donnie. :)

fooddaman
08-05-2006, 08:00 AM

Wow, you had me going there for a minute... then I realized that was a smiley at the end:laugh:

bulldog
08-05-2006, 04:46 PM
He actually looked very good in summer league. I just think the Mavs don't have the patience to wait for a project, and need the spots for guys like Devean George and AJ. They are deep as all hell.

Someone's gonna get a steel, this guy's more physical and stronger than Shawn Bradley or Muresan.

As for those who say we're building an up-and-down team: perhaps. But one of two things is going to happen: 1) we do really well the next few years, great, or 2) we are mediocre/suck the next few years, leading to the inevitable JO trade, after which who knows what we will look like.

Sign him for anywhere up to 1.5 mil/year.

FrenchConnection
08-05-2006, 04:47 PM
The man defines the word "stiff." Heck no. This is Shawn Bradley redux.

Anthem
08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
this guy's more physical and stronger than Shawn Bradley or Muresan.
I'm taller than Allen Iverson! Sign me!

Steve McQueen
08-05-2006, 06:04 PM
The man defines the word "stiff." Heck no. This is Shawn Bradley redux.
The difference is, Shawn Bradley could actually move pretty well for his size and was a great shot blocker. Podkolzine is just some 7'5" immobile stiff who should stick to being a sideshow act at the Russian circus.

Bball
08-05-2006, 07:01 PM
A 'project' center to sit at the end of the bench and never play, even with a depleted front line?

Nahhhh the Pacers never have a player like that...

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
08-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I think their main focus now is on bringing in a kicker, and a long snapper.

bulldog
08-05-2006, 07:34 PM
The difference is, Shawn Bradley could actually move pretty well for his size and was a great shot blocker. Podkolzine is just some 7'5" immobile stiff who should stick to being a sideshow act at the Russian circus.

See, that statement has the benefit of being both racist and ignorant (as such statements usually are). Have you guys seen him play? He locks down the paint, isn't exactly fleet of foot but can move to rebound and block shots (and is long enough that he doesn't move much). Huge project, but a useful player. Could be signed for the minimum.

Steve McQueen
08-05-2006, 07:46 PM
See, that statement has the benefit of being both racist and ignorant (as such statements usually are). Have you guys seen him play? He locks down the paint, isn't exactly fleet of foot but can move to rebound and block shots (and is long enough that he doesn't move much). Huge project, but a useful player. Could be signed for the minimum.
If you'd like to point out the racial slur please do so, as I don't appreciate being labaled a racist.

And yes, Podkolzine is everything you said, hence why the Mavs just cut him.....

OTD
08-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Jo and most people in here want a big man. They don't come much bigger, 7'5" 300+lbs. If that aint big some one needs there eyes check.

Slick Pinkham
08-05-2006, 08:45 PM
He stinks.

He stinked when they drafted him, having never averaged more than something like 3 ppg on ANY LEVEL OF ORGANIZED BASKETBALL HE EVER PLAYED.

This was an absolute BUST of a draft pick from day one, and anybody who picks up this guy is a SUCKER, since he has less basketball talent than 95% of the people posting on this forum.

VF21
08-05-2006, 08:52 PM
If the team that kept Shawn Bradley around for all those years has dropped this kid, there's a really good reason.

There's a young Ponderosa Pine across the road from my house that's about 7 ft. tall. I suspect it could probably play better than poor Pavel.

They always say you can't teach tall. Whle that's true, you can't believe that everyone who is tall will be able to play basketball successfully in the NBA. The team that grabs this kid, IMHO, is just looking for heartbreak.

(Petrie? Do NOT pick up the phone!!!)

LG33
08-05-2006, 09:01 PM
I know a 7ft, 275 pound guy we could probbaly get easily...but what was his name again?

Oh yea, John Edwards
According to Hoopshype: Very good size...very unproven...has done nothing remarkable in college or in the NBA.

bulldog
08-05-2006, 09:17 PM
He stinks.

He stinked when they drafted him, having never averaged more than something like 3 ppg on ANY LEVEL OF ORGANIZED BASKETBALL HE EVER PLAYED.
Of course, he had like 15 ppg in the summer league, but whatever...

BoomBaby31
08-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I say we give him a shot; work him out, juice him up and make him a monster. lol

Haggard
08-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Playing basketball whilst i was growing up I always hated the fact that tall guys were bought in and coaches thought they could 'develop' them into becoming great players. Skilled ballers were always missing out on making teams because they were smaller.

This post shows me that this philosophy is still used in the NBA.

If you watch the all the dunk videos on youtube.com you notice that most of the dunks are on Shawn Bradley's head. To me that sas that height is useless unless you can use it.

Countless basketballers miss out on making the grade because tall people are bought in with the aim of being developed. This is a disgrace.

The NBA should try on being the best league in the world, not the tallest league in the world.

bulldog
08-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Playing basketball whilst i was growing up I always hated the fact that tall guys were bought in and coaches thought they could 'develop' them into becoming great players. Skilled ballers were always missing out on making teams because they were smaller.

If you watch the all the dunk videos on youtube.com you notice that most of the dunks are on Shawn Bradley's head. To me that sas that height is useless unless you can use it.

The player that gets dunked on the most in the NBA is Alonzo Mourning, and it has been like that for the last three or four years. Is it because he's a poor defensive player? No, he just challenges every drive.

The only reason you see dunks on Shawn Bradley is because he's really tall, and so its funny.

And while I'm very sorry that you were born small, many of those big guys you played with were probably more valuable to the team because of their size, length, strength, and how they adjusted the flow of the game. That's life, hard work and superior skills don't always mean you'll come out on top.

Haggard
08-07-2006, 06:39 AM
The player that gets dunked on the most in the NBA is Alonzo Mourning, and it has been like that for the last three or four years. Is it because he's a poor defensive player? No, he just challenges every drive.

The only reason you see dunks on Shawn Bradley is because he's really tall, and so its funny.

And while I'm very sorry that you were born small, many of those big guys you played with were probably more valuable to the team because of their size, length, strength, and how they adjusted the flow of the game. That's life, hard work and superior skills don't always mean you'll come out on top.

That is exactly the comment I would expect from someone that thinks this 7'5 guy would benefit the pacers and basketball as whole. The reason Zo gets dunked on is because he isn't the player he used to be

campy
08-07-2006, 09:25 AM
This was an absolute BUST of a draft pick from day one, and anybody who picks up this guy is a SUCKER, since he has less basketball talent than 95% of the people posting on this forum.

I would venture he is better than me. One i'm not very good. Two he is 7' 5'' so at least I'm sure he can dunk. Oh and finally he is in the NBA. Usually a bad player in the NBA would be a lot better than a dude who works at Wal-Mart.

Skaut_Ech
08-07-2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/

Pavel Podkolzin: A Look Back
By Wes Cox (http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/user/Wes%20Cox)
Posted on Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 03:55:52 AM EST

Pavel Podkolzin was drafted 21st overall by the Utah Jazz in 2004. Dallas immediately traded their 2005 first round pick, which ended up being 28th overall, for the rights to Podkolzin. At the time, the trade was universally applauded. Chad Ford, for one, felt that "Pavel [would] end up being the steal of the draft at No. 21" (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=1828932). At worst, draft reviews thought the Mavs had made a wise gamble (http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadrafthistory/a/draftgrades04_2.htm).

The reason was simple, coming into the draft Podkolzin was perhaps the hottest name on the draft board. As the draft neared closer, Pavel had gone from a late first round pick to a lottery lock. Podkolzin experienced the same phenomenon prior to the 2003 draft, but he eventually had to withdraw from the draft when it was discovered (http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1569633) he suffered from Acromegaly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly). The disease which was responsible for his size and potential suddenly turned against him. He reentered the draft in 2004, still diseased, yet his draft status soared even higher.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/luke_winn/06/25/draft.2/p1_pavel_all.jpg

Mock drafts in 2004 had Podkolzin being drafted as high as fifth overall (http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadrafthistory/l/bl_2004NBADraft.htm). Scouts everywhere were drooling over his 7'5", 303 pound frame. His size aside, the opinions on Pavel as basketball player were wildly varying. Just read these lines from one report (http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/pavelpodkolzine.asp) and you'll see how his status as big-time NBA prospect were both unquestioned and doubted at the same time. He has the upside to be a bigtime impact player but there are a lot of doubts about whether he can fulfill his vast potential .... The doubts mainly surround his physical condition, with the growth hormone problem, and also his work ethic which for now appears suspect.

"Offensively he plays very timidly. With the ball he doesn't take any initiative... Does not seem to have great touch and has a long ways to go figuring out post moves ... Imposing presence, he's dangerous to take the basketball at.... Defensively does not have a good feeling for the game or sense of the position... Very raw."

" physical structure is well developed, very big and strong with muscles and his size is awe inspiring ... His mobility is very good for a man of this size and he has good flexibility ... His conditioning is actually good, he can get up and down the court, his biggest problem is with his basketball skills and understanding of the game"

After the Mavs drafted him, he finished his season in Europe, then came to the states and had surgery to correct his pituitary gland disorder (http://www.dentalplans.com/Dental-Health-Articles/Brain-Surgery-for-Pituitary-Tumor-on-19-Year-Old-Basketball-Star.asp). By the end of the 2004/2005 season, Pavel was healthy enough to play and appeared in five games for the Mavericks but played just ten minutes total. In those ten minutes, he scored one point, grabbed two rebounds, committed four fouls, and turned the ball over two times.

His second season in the NBA didn't go any better. On October 28th, 2005, slightly before the season began, Podkolzin was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot and had to have surgery. In early March, Pavel finally suited up for the first time all season, but it was for the Forth Worth Flyers of the developmental league. He appeared in 11 games for the Flyers (http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/pavel_podkolzine/index.html) where he averaged 6.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, .7 blocks, and 3.7 fouls per game. He saw his only minutes in the 05/06 NBA season as a Mav during the last game of the season -- an inconsequential loss to the Clippers. Podkolzin, who entered the game to sarcastic applause from the fans, played 18 minutes in that game, scoring three points and getting seven rebounds.

After the season, Podkolzin joined the Mavericks in both summer leagues where he continued to be a disappointment. While he had suffered injuries that set back his progress, it started to become apparent that Podkolzin had almost no feel for the game. Here's what DraftExpress had to say after one of his showings in the Vegas Summer League this season. Pavel looks as far from ever being able to step out on an NBA court as ever, having absolutely no feel for the game or translatable skills that he can rely on even in garbage time. The extent of his time on the court was spent racking up traveling violations and cheap fouls. In the 2nd half we saw more of the same from Pavel. He had one good move followed by four bad ones, and seemed to get very frustrated both with himself and the referees. Despite his height he still is not able to do a very good job on the glass, and defensively is almost always out of place when its time to rotate and just stick his arms in the air to contest a shot.

Podkolzin's progress only regressed as the summer went on. Many blamed this on tired legs, but after just playing in just 12 games all season, he should have been freshest man on the team.

When the Mavericks resigned DJ Benga, it meant Podkolzin was still the 4th center on the team. Being a third year player, Pavel would not have been allowed to play in the D-League this season. That left the Mavs with only two options - waste a roster space for the entire year or cut ties. The Mavericks decided to buy out the remainder of Podkolzin's contract and end the two year project. The man who was once the next Shaq could very well end his NBA career with nine career rebounds and one block.

JayRedd
08-07-2006, 10:22 AM
The only thing I know about this guy is that in Bill Simmons' draft diary that year he made a joke saying that TNT should have included this in his "Scout's Bio":

MUST IMPROVE: GENETIC DISORDER

bulldog
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
The mommy thing was an "unwanted comment"? Really?

OK, I guess.

Knucklehead Warrior
08-07-2006, 10:47 AM
The man who was once the next Shaq could very well end his NBA career with nine career rebounds and one block.

He has not scored a field goal in two seasons in the nba.
While he did pull down 7 rebounds in 18 mop up minutes, he is after all, 7'5".

sig
08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Actually, i think this guy possesses some basketball skills. I think the Mavs would have kept him if they could stick him in the NBDL but they cannot as he is in his thrid year. P-Pod as he is known on Mavs forums needs real game action and not just practice time on an NBA team. It is best to let him go play in Europe or somewhere else because he just isn't ready to contribute on an NBA roster.