PDA

View Full Version : Hawks reach agreement with Lorenzen Wright {Atlanta Journal-Constitution}

Frank Slade
08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Center Wright returning to Hawks
By SEKOU SMITH (http://mailto:sksmith@ajc.com)
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/05/06

The Hawks have reached an agreement with free agent center and former Hawk Lorenzen Wright on a two-year contract worth an estimated $6 million, according to a source familiar with the situation.

Wright, a 6-11, 250-pound 10-year veteran, played the past five seasons in Memphis, alongside All-Star center Pau Gasol. He started 58 of 78 regular season games for the Grizzlies this past season and averaged 5.8 points and 5.1 rebounds while playing just 21.7 minutes per game.

Wright spent two seasons with the Hawks, 1999-00 and 2000-01, posting a career high scoring average (12.4) during his second season.

Drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers with the seventh pick in the 1996 draft, Wright has career averages of 8.8 points and 6.9 rebounds. He fills a huge need for the Hawks as the backup center to fourth-year pro Zaza Pachulia.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/0805wright.html)

Well apparently they are able to make moves afterall :unimpress.
Maybe know they can focus on Harrington

Shade
08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Didn't the Hawks say the Al deal had to be completeld before they could sign Wright (I'm assuming this is the "big man" they were targetting)?

Could an agreement finally be in place?

Suaveness
08-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Probably not.

Frank Slade
08-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Didn't the Hawks say the Al deal had to be completeld before they could sign Wright (I'm assuming this is the "big man" they were targetting)?

Could an agreement finally be in place?

Well if we are to believe 2Cleva's report was correct, which who really knows on that one, I have my doubts.

The GM interview thread had the following..

Bernie Mullinswith an interview on Atlanta radio.

- team has a verbal agreement with "a legitimate starting big man". Paperwork is complete but can not be announced until Al's S&T trade is complete. Has something to do with needing a portion of Al's Salary. Host of show stated that the signing happens even if Al walks away from the team as a free agent.

- The new big has been a long time starter in the league but is willing to play backup. Hosts of the show said that the new big could end up starting.

In general though, it's good to see the Hawks making some kind of movement.
Plus the more players they sign the less they need in a form of trade, and the more that helps our cause in a roundabout way.

Lord Helmet
08-04-2006, 10:44 PM
The Al deal will never be done.

Anthem
08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
3mil per year for 2 years? I'd have offered that much.

Peck
08-05-2006, 12:32 AM
3mil per year for 2 years? I'd have offered that much.

No kidding.

CableKC
08-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Geez.....3 mil per year over 2 years?

That's why BK wanted the 3 mil....so we could pay for that first year for them.....:rolleyes:

Peck
08-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Geez.....3 mil per year over 2 years?

That's why BK wanted the 3 mil....so we could pay for that first year for them.....:rolleyes:

You know even though you might be joking I'm not so sure you aren't right about this.

Naptown_Seth
08-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Well it would work out that way effectively, even if it wasn't technically how the money was used.

Anyway, this is why I was saying that the big man deal had nothing to do with Harrington. This is exactly what the ATL owner implied as I read it, though I had forgotten about Wright being on the market.

Why would they have to wait? I would assume that signing him might affect their cap status if they also sign (and then trade) Harrington, in that it would bump them from under the cap to over the cap. With this deal, Al's deal, the MLE and vet min all added in (per CBA rules) think they actually go over the cap just a bit.

Maybe not, maybe it was close and when they looked closer they realized they were okay to do it.

OR, they were thinking that if another SnT comes up for Al with him getting more due to a trade for PLAYERS that it would send them over the cap (which they wanted to avoid for whatever reason perhaps), but after speaking with Tellum they decided that for certain they were going to do the Indy SnT deal and that it was cheap enough for them to stay under even if they signed Wright.

That's my best guess at the connection. I assume that the technical cap status could effect their MLE and other options, like perhaps they would have to renounce the MLE in order to SnT Al if Wright was already signed, something like that.

Or I'm talking out my rear and being a real :dunce:

rexnom
08-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Is it just me or is waiting for Al preventing us from other moves?

We could have signed Deshawn Stephenson or Wright as a bargain. I mean, christ. We're never going to get back court help, where we actually need it, because by the time we get (or don't get) Al, it'll be too late. This is ridiculous. BK better hope we never meet. I can't believe this. It's like trying to work out a complicated deal with a chimpanzee. Reminds me of that monster.com commercial where the guy is working with all monkeys.

Eindar
08-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Is it just me or is waiting for Al preventing us from other moves?

We could have signed Deshawn Stephenson or Wright as a bargain. I mean, christ. We're never going to get back court help, where we actually need it, because by the time we get (or don't get) Al, it'll be too late. This is ridiculous. BK better hope we never meet. I can't believe this. It's like trying to work out a complicated deal with a chimpanzee. Reminds me of that monster.com commercial where the guy is working with all monkeys.

I wholeheartedly support this statement. We desperately need a veteran Center who can run the floor and give us somewhere between 10-25 minutes out there, depending on how DH develops. Don't tell me we cringed at signing a veteran big man for 3 million per. Billy King is slowly screwing us into the lottery :(

bulldog
08-05-2006, 04:51 PM
We desperately need a veteran Center who can run the floor and give us somewhere between 10-25 minutes out there, depending on how DH develops.

When you put it like that, Wright would have been a great fit. Shame we didn't get him.