PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Owner inteview

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 12:29 PM
EDIT: Excuse my mistake. It wasn't Billy Knight but one of the Hawks owners - Bernie Mullins

Bernie Mullinswith an interview on Atlanta radio.

- team has a verbal agreement with "a legitimate starting big man". Paperwork is complete but can not be announced until Al's S&T trade is complete. Has something to do with needing a portion of Al's Salary. Host of show stated that the signing happens even if Al walks away from the team as a free agent.

- The new big has been a long time starter in the league but is willing to play backup. Hosts of the show said that the new big could end up starting.

- Harrington wants $10m+ for 6 years. Regarding the S&T, Atl will only take a "good" player back worth 10 million a year salary or 10 million in cash. Basically, AL is set on making 10million plus a year. Host stated that Atl would not take any "junk" players in a S&T for Al. He specifically mention the Golden State situation.

- Bernie Mullins wants Shelden Williams to start at the 4 with Marvin Williams and Josh Smith battling it out at the 3.

- Bernie Mullins said that Arm Tellem would be creative in setting up a S&T.

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
My thoughts - this is bad for Indy. Harrington will play anywhere where he can win and get paid but he won't sacrifice one for the other. If anything, it will be the winning part.

Can Indy even get a deal that can get Al $10 mil? I'm not sure if that Laker deal will happen but someone will definitely have to be calling Charlotte if they want Al.

rexnom
08-04-2006, 12:36 PM
My thoughts - this is bad for Indy. Harrington will play anywhere where he can win and get paid but he won't sacrifice one for the other. If anything, it will be the winning part.

Can Indy even get a deal that can get Al $10 mil? I'm not sure if that Laker deal will happen but someone will definitely have to be calling Charlotte if they want Al.
This is ridiculous. No one should have to call Charlotte. I say call Al's bluff.

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 12:42 PM
You don't think Al wants $10 mil? I don't see why he wouldn't? This game is business first. If Nene can get $10 mil and guys like Gooden and Wilcox want it - Harrington definitely deserves it.

Al pulling out for money is the only truly logical reason for him to switch agents.

I believe he wants to go to Indy but he wants to be paid first. GS had an offer on the table that gave him about $10 mil more than what Indy was going to give him. Tellum likely pulled him as a client because he promised him a better deal and will be sure he gets it.

Why teams will need Charlotte is because Atlanta is not going to back down on not taking payroll back much. They'd rather let Al walk. Charlotte can facilitate a 3-way deal and make it easier for whatever team gets Al, but Cha likely only wants last year players unless its a stud.

Steve
08-04-2006, 12:44 PM
which big man do you think the deal is for?

CableKC
08-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I've been mentioning this to the Hawks RealGM posters.......the options available for BK is limited due to their rigid requirements to (A) get back as little players/contracts as possible....I assume to minimize the legal and likely ownership issues ( which is why we are primary players in all this ) and (B) their requirement not to get back "junk" players...like the deal with the Warriors....but get back some quality players to help build upon.

I would guess that any Hawks fan and BK would want to go for option (B)....but the market now is limited to suitors like the Nuggets, Lakers and Warriors....none of which have any players that would make sense to the Hawks. They do have young players that would entice the Hawks....but they are not likely to give them up.

I don't envy BK....cuz the GM of the Hawks messed up ownership and legal issues has really tied his hand in terms of what he can and cannot do.

CableKC
08-04-2006, 12:45 PM

From what I have read.....either Wright, Cato or KandiMan.

I'm thinking its Wright.

Hicks
08-04-2006, 12:48 PM
We essentially WERE giving Al what he wanted, which is the max our TE can allow: 6 years, $57 million. From all reports, he had already agreed, so I don't think this is about Al wanting more money.

Frank Slade
08-04-2006, 12:48 PM
This sounds very questionable if it's 6 years 60 million that is not far off from 6 years 57 million. He would not be making 10 million his first year either way, and in turn BK would not need to trade 10 million in salary to do so.

Something does not add up at all. :pessimist.
Things that make you say hmmmm

sixthman
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
This sounds very questionable if it's 6 years 60 million that is not far off from 6 years 57 million. He would not be making 10 million his first year either way, and in turn BK would not need to trade 10 million in salary to do so.

Something does not add up at all. :pessimist.
Things that make you say hmmmm

Good post. Indeed something doesn't add up. For one I don't think the Hawks talk show host understands NBA finances.

Kegboy
08-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Sounds to me like Al doesn't want a 6-$60 deal. The 10+ makes me think he wants a 6-year deal starting at $10, which would be, what, $70, 72?

If TPTB really plan on more moves, they need to make them sooner than later. Yes, I understand whether we get Al or not affects the balance of the roster, but you never know what else may fall through down the road.

RWB
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
We essentially WERE giving Al what he wanted, which is the max our TE can allow: 6 years, $57 million.

I was all for Al coming back, but if 57 million dollars is not good enough then he needs to walk. There does come a point in time when this disrespect thing and I'm worth this much is just completely overboard. We are talking 57 Million dollars guaranteed.

Like Hicks though, I will not assume money is the sticking point with Al at this time.

able
08-04-2006, 01:08 PM
IF Al is only considering a starting salary of 10 mio, then please let someone else take that burden, he aint worth it.

However if it is an average of 10 mio then the P's are only out 3 mio and I am sure that can't be the problem, it also gives Atl their greatest freedom for the (near) future.

the rest is googleeboo

BK has little or NO demands to make, parties have to agree and otherwise it is Al who is screwed by Atl which will be duly recorded by other players in their mind and once discussing contracts with Atl.

rexnom
08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Sounds to me like Al doesn't want a 6-$60 deal. The 10+ makes me think he wants a 6-year deal starting at $10, which would be, what, $70, 72?

If TPTB really plan on more moves, they need to make them sooner than later. Yes, I understand whether we get Al or not affects the balance of the roster, but you never know what else may fall through down the road.
Exactly. I'm pretty sure Al's asking price just went up to 6/72. And that's a bit too much, I think, because we can't swing a deal involving the TE for that kind of money. And I don't think Atlanta would be interested in anything else.

Steve McQueen
08-04-2006, 01:12 PM
IF Al is only considering a starting salary of 10 mio, then please let someone else take that burden, he aint worth it.
$10M per is what players of Al's caliber are going for nowadays. Look at Joe Johnson and Tayshaun Prince - two players around the same level as Al - both making $10M per. Peja, a guy who plays 0 defense and sits out playoff games, is making $13M per.

Kegboy
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Exactly. I'm pretty sure Al's asking price just went up to 6/72. And that's a bit too much, I think, because we can't swing a deal involving the TE for that kind of money. And I don't think Atlanta would be interested in anything else.

Is it possible for us to send the TE to Atlanta, another player to a team under the cap like Charlotte or Toronto, and get Al in return at a higher salary? Too bad we let Fred walk and traded AJ for Kibbles and Bits.

Another question capwise. Why does Atlanta need to wait on signing their mystery center until after the S&T? They have Al's Bird rights, it shouldn't matter what their salary situation is, right?

able
08-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Peja is a class better then Al and his starting is what? 10 ?

Given a choice between Al and Tay, i won't hesitate a millisecond and go with Tay

Al starting at 10 mio is, at least for the Pacers, not onlly fiscally irresponsible, because we would have done better tying the money up in Peja, for less years, but also idiotic because Al aint worth those kinda dollars.

able
08-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Is it possible for us to send the TE to Atlanta, another player to a team under the cap like Charlotte or Toronto, and get Al in return at a higher salary? Too bad we let Fred walk and traded AJ for Kibbles and Bits.

Another question capwise. Why does Atlanta need to wait on signing their mystery center until after the S&T? They have Al's Bird rights, it shouldn't matter what their salary situation is, right?

Perhaps they need part of the TE to stay under the cap, not really sure what their salary situation is atm and to busy to look it up.

Also the TE can not be combined with players or other TE's, so Al can max sign for 7.6 for us no matter what else we do.

And in all honesty I think that is the max (starting) what Al's value is to the P's

bulldog
08-04-2006, 01:23 PM
If we give Al 6/72 after we let Peja walk away...ridiculous.

CableKC
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM
If we are to take BKs word on this....then we have 3 likely offers/wants here:

- From Harrington side, he wants at least 6 years / 60 million ( which can only come from the Bobcats...or the Hawks in a S&T )

- From the Pacers side, they are offering 6 year / 57 million ( which is the only deal that the Hawks can get...outside of the Bobcats...that would not net them any players )

- From the Hawks side, I would guess that would want the 6 years 60 million deal from the Pacers so that they get back more $$$ in the end ( which I think ultimately wants their original proposal of the T/E, full 3 mil in cash, sending Edwards back and the 1st round Draft pick )

We should either settle for a "happy medium"....maybe meet 1/2 way but tighten the lottery protection ( so that we at least get back something in these negotiations while sending something back ) or let Harrington go somewhere else and wish BK some luck in finding that 60+ million deal that would net them the junk player or some long term contract player that they don't want.

Steve McQueen
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Peja is a class better then Al and his starting is what? 11 ?
I disagree. Peja may be the better scorer, but overall Al's game is much better. And the Pacers management disagree with you as well, as they let Peja walk and are focusing on Al/

Given a choice between Al and Tay, i won't hesitate a millisecond and go with Tay
I'd call it a toss up. Al's a better scorer and a far better rebounder, Tayshauns a slightly better defender. About equal passers. I'd probably take Big Al because of his superior versatility.

Al starting at 10 mio is, at least for the Pacers, not onlly fiscally irresponsible, because we would have done better tying the money up in Peja, for less years, but also idiotic because Al aint worth those kinda dollars.
I already said why i disagree with this. I also think you're severely underrating Big Al's abilities.

Steve McQueen
08-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, how foolish are Bird & Walsh to let Peja walk after that dominating performance in the playoffs. Not to mention being one of the leading contenders for Defensive Player of the Year. :laugh:

Hicks
08-04-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm concerned that this forum is going to take this '$72mm" stuff and run with it like it's fact. It's not fact. It's speculation at best.

bulldog
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah, how foolish are Bird & Walsh to let Peja walk after that dominating performance in the playoffs. Not to mention being one of the leading contenders for Defensive Player of the Year. :laugh:

I think many of the people who are so excited about Al weren't Pacers fans when he was here, then didn't watch any Hawks games last year (understandable). When did this guy turn into the messiah? He's not a stud defender either, he has match-up problems with faster threes and stronger fours, and I don't know how he'll fit into our offensive scheme or between him and JO who'll provide a presence on the boards.

My point isn't to debate whether Al or Peja is better, I only want to point out that Al Harrington is not as good as many seem to think, and that if Peja isn't worth the ridiculous money given to him, then neither is Al.

I'm concerned that this forum is going to take this '$72mm" stuff and run with it like it's fact. It's not fact. It's speculation at best.
Good point, but I just wanted to say that I felt that would be much too large of a contract.

able
08-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I disagree. Peja may be the better scorer, but overall Al's game is much better. And the Pacers management disagree with you as well, as they let Peja walk and are focusing on Al/

I'd call it a toss up. Al's a better scorer and a far better rebounder, Tayshauns a slightly better defender. About equal passers. I'd probably take Big Al because of his superior versatility.

I already said why i disagree with this. I also think you're severely underrating Big Al's abilities.
Sorry but Peja is a better passer, better scorer, equal rebounder and and defender, plus a multiple All Star, Al has to prove he can play second fiddle, because he left to be first and failed in that on the Hawks of all teams.

Tay is better in all aspects of the game, please, no comparison, I would however take him over Peja as well.

I am not underrating anything or anybody, I just remember how he played here his last year and a half, and that is not worth that kind of money.

able
08-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Agreed completely, but IF (what i started off with) then.....

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Knight made it clear that starting at $10 mil is what Al wants. And with all Al is doing lately, asking for max increases fall right in line.

6/72 is a very logical assumption.

PacerFan31
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM

Exactly, I wish that more people would take some time and think about the situation before jumping to conclusions.

CableKC
08-04-2006, 01:35 PM
This is a no-brainer...if I had a choice between paying the amount of money that Peja is getting now...and had to give it to either Peja or Harrington......despite the fact that they play different types of games....I would go for Harrington.

For the very reason that he is less injury-prone, is about 3 years younger then Peja and ( as someone else here in PD mentions....I think Hicks? ) Harrington is going to be hitting the prime of his career at the start of his contract.

If it was 6 years/60 mil for Harrington and something more reasonable for Peja...like 4 years / 36 mil ( or 5 years / 40 mil ) then I would have a harder choice. But the bottomline is that Peja is worth a decent 2nd-tier All-Star contract...but not the contract that he was overpaid for.

jcouts
08-04-2006, 01:36 PM

Mihm

kidthecat
08-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Let Al walk. I don't know why anyone thought Al would be a changed man here--this is reflective of his pouting to be traded because he wasn't a starter. Al is NOT worth this money.

Pacers have the largest TE in league history: if they can't get something respectable done with it, they're fools. Have faith.

CableKC
08-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Knight made it clear that starting at $10 mil is what Al wants. And with all Al is doing lately, asking for max increases fall right in line.

Given the situation that the Hawks, Pacers and Harrington/Tellum are in....I would ask as much as I can get....then go down from there.

I'm not saying he is worth that much....but asking for more then 57 mil may make some sense ( coming from Harrington and Tellum ) as it all boils down to how much $$$ he can get in the end.

Hicks
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Abel you lost me at saying Peja Stojakovic was an equal defender to Al Harrington. I don't agree with that at all.

Frank Slade
08-04-2006, 01:49 PM

- Harrington wants $10m+ for 6 years. Regarding the S&T, Atl will only take a "good" player back worth 10 million a year salary or 10 million in cash. Basically, AL is set on making 10million plus a year. Host stated that Atl would not take any "junk" players in a S&T for Al. He specifically mention the Golden State situation.

I find it hard to believe that Al has asked for a 33% increase in his starting salary number, after supposedly we where close to a deal for 7.6 million a year.

I also find it odd that the Atlanta GM would indicate how much money his FA that he is trying to trade is demanding, not to mention the fact that he would settle for $10 million in cash? That's an unusual request, and also doubtful that any team would comply.

Hicks
08-04-2006, 01:51 PM
2Cleva, I think either you heard wrong, or more than likely the radio people did (or they simply don't understand). Al Harrington had already agreed to 6 years, $57 million to play for the Indiana Pacers. The hold up was not on his end. It makes no sense for him to completely wreck it now for more money.

Kegboy
08-04-2006, 01:56 PM

:evillaugh:

kidthecat
08-04-2006, 02:07 PM
I hereby change my stance if Al isn't holding out for more $.

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 02:08 PM
2Cleva, I think either you heard wrong, or more than likely the radio people did (or they simply don't understand). Al Harrington had already agreed to 6 years, $57 million to play for the Indiana Pacers. The hold up was not on his end. It makes no sense for him to completely wreck it now for more money.

Wrecking a deal for more money always makes sense. Worse case, he still has that same offer from Indy. John Salmons for example did the same with Phoenix and Toronto.

The first rule of FA is follow the money. The second rule of FA is don't forget the first rule.

mountain_jim
08-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Now that I am finally allowed to post, I want to clear up misinfo in this thread:

The radio interview being discussed this morning was with one of the Hawks owners, Bernie Mullins, not BK.

You guys should know BK never tells the media anything if he can help it :)

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Now that I am finally allowed to post, I want to clear up misinfo in this thread:

The radio interview being discussed this morning was with one of the Hawks owners, Bernie Mullins, not BK.

You guys should know BK never tells the media anything if he can help it :)

Thanks. Someone sent me that interview, I didn't hear it myself.

Hicks
08-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Wrecking a deal for more money always makes sense. Worse case, he still has that same offer from Indy. John Salmons for example did the same with Phoenix and Toronto.

The first rule of FA is follow the money. The second rule of FA is don't forget the first rule.

It's a stupid thing to do to your reputation. And it's equally stupid if you wanted to go to that team, which Al said he did. You don't get to the point this deal did if you weren't satisfied with your contract.

Steve McQueen
08-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Sorry but Peja is a better passer, better scorer, equal rebounder and and defender, plus a multiple All Star, Al has to prove he can play second fiddle, because he left to be first and failed in that on the Hawks of all teams.
Peja - better scorer? Yes. Better at anything else? Not a chance in hell.

Tay is better in all aspects of the game, please, no comparison, I would however take him over Peja as well.
Not correct. Al's a superior offensive talent, and a much superior rebounder. Tayshaun may be a better defender, we'll have to see how well he does when he doesnt have the best defensive frontcourt in the league in front of him.

I am not underrating anything or anybody, I just remember how he played here his last year and a half, and that is not worth that kind of money.
He was runner up for 6th Man of the Year on a 61 win team as a 23 year old. How is that bad? He's even better now, as he's developed a solid 3 point shot.

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Being the owner, that makes more sense. They are looser with talks than GMs naturally. The talk likely isn't negotiation ploys either.

Hicks - Did Al make any comments about being a Pacer after the deal was supposedly to go through? I didn't think he did. All I remember was his comments saying he's likely to GS or Indy in the ESPN article (where Stein said NY and LA had backed out of the running).

I'm sure the extra millions that Tellem likely promised him he'd get would soothe his feelings over some fans being mad at him.

Steve McQueen
08-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Let Al walk. I don't know why anyone thought Al would be a changed man here--this is reflective of his pouting to be traded because he wasn't a starter. Al is NOT worth this money.
Why is Al wrong for wanting whats best for him and his career? He wasn't gonna start with JO and Artest here, so he asked to be dealt. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Hicks
08-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Being the owner, that makes more sense. They are looser with talks than GMs naturally. The talk likely isn't negotiation ploys either.

Hicks - Did Al make any comments about being a Pacer after the deal was supposedly to go through? I didn't think he did. All I remember was his comments saying he's likely to GS or Indy in the ESPN article (where Stein said NY and LA had backed out of the running).

I'm sure the extra millions that Tellem likely promised him he'd get would soothe his feelings over some fans being mad at him.

Just before the trade was reported everywhere a week or two ago, he was interviewed on the radio saying "Indiana wants me real bad and I want them real bad."

kidthecat
08-04-2006, 02:27 PM
He still may not start here. Maybe losing for two straight years has taught him a thing or two.

RWB
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Hicks, once you hear something legit on the signing could you sticky it at the top. Damn Colts are getting ready for practice so I won't be able to follow.

thanks

Hicks
08-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Either that, RWB, or I can send you a PM about it. :)

Kegboy
08-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Uh, Hicks, isn't about time we instituted an age limit around here?

:-p

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Just before the trade was reported everywhere a week or two ago, he was interviewed on the radio saying "Indiana wants me real bad and I want them real bad."

I actually believe him but it wouldn't be the first time someone announced they intended to go somewhere to drive up his value on the market.

Tim
08-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Sounds to me that Al liked the deal he was offered by the Pacers but becasme frustrated with the waiting. I think Al is reasonable, there isn't anyone out there now that can better what the PAcers had going, let alone the rumored $10 million a year.

We would have kept Peja for that kind of money.

CableKC
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Sounds to me that Al liked the deal he was offered by the Pacers but becasme frustrated with the waiting. I think Al is reasonable, there isn't anyone out there now that can better what the PAcers had going, let alone the rumored $10 million a year.

We would have kept Peja for that kind of money.

It all comes down to $$$....the 57 mil offer maybe the one that Harrington eventually accepts....but I would assume that Harrington prefers the offer that the Warriors initially gave the Hawks...simply cuz it gives him more money.....but...obviously...the Hawks won't go for that S&T deal.

2Cleva
08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
If Al wants more than 7.6 (which is likely considering him getting a new agent, the owners remarks, market value) then Indy's trade exception is worthless. Only way Indy can get him is to make a deal with players, none with last year Ks.

And the money has to be the issue. He doesn't get paid until the season starts anyway so waiting another week or so just for Atlanta to get their stuff together with Indy doesn't make sense - especially with Indy willing to deal a pick and some amount of cash.

Al is going for the money and if so, he won't be a Pacer.

blanket
08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
If the Hawks are willing to take expiring contracts in a S&T for Al now, and Al is willing to go to teams other than the Pacers and Warriors, then I could see him go to the Knicks (sorry, DK ;)). The Knicks have big $ expiring contracts in Jalen Rose, Mo Taylor, and Shandon Anderson. He'd get to go back home (roughly), and get his $.

Steve McQueen
08-04-2006, 04:27 PM
If the Hawks are willing to take expiring contracts in a S&T for Al now, and Al is willing to go to teams other than the Pacers and Warriors, then I could see him go to the Knicks (sorry, DK ;)). The Knicks have big $ expiring contracts in Jalen Rose, Mo Taylor, and Shandon Anderson. He'd get to go back home (roughly), and get his $.
I do believe Al has mentioned he wouldn't mind playing for the Knicks. NYC isnt far form his home in New Jersey, plus he has the history with Isiah.

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2006, 04:29 PM

I can't see the Hawks wanting any of our expiring contracts because all those players suck - useless as a one-year rental.

If we were going to get anything done it would be along the lines of that Laker thread. We trade, say, Q and Nate Robinson or David Lee to Charlotte, Charlotte sends a pick to Atl and we get Al in the S&T through the Bobcats.

Never happen though.

Cactus Jax
08-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Al looking for greener pastures could work like Deshawn Stevenson's attempt did in a way.

That being said, anything outside of a miracle and Al is a Pacer for the deal stated.

Naptown_Seth
08-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I didn't hear the interview, but the points listed don't sound like a contradiction to Al coming to Indy.

He said the big man is coming REGARDLESS of Al walking as a free agent, ie the big isn't coming FOR Al.

6/57, that's $10 per year basically. What the Hawks owner is saying is that if they SnT him for this or more and its not with Indy (for the 57) then it means that THEY will take on a salary getting $10m average, and that they don't want to do that for just anybody, ie NOT MURPHY.

Al is going for the money and if so, he won't be a Pacer.
Not an option for Al. The owner is EXPLICITLY saying they do NOT want an expensive player, unless they feel he is truly worth it. So for Al to get more money that would mean that ATLANTA would have to agree, not just Al/Tellum. Oh, and the other team would have to agree to give up this player that Atlanta thinks is worthy of $10m average.

Doesn't sound like the tune has changed at all regarding them not wanting players back because they don't see many worth that level of money being offered for Al. Indy's offer to them is a lot better if you feel the other guys would be overpaid (whomever would be traded for Al).

Creative with the SnT? Not sure what that means, but it could be as simple as how he gets them the cash Knight wants and gets Indy to agree with it.

What big is left that they can sign, that they would already have an agreement with?

Another thing to remember - this owner is one of the Spirit group, the ones currently in charge. They are the ones that asked for contract moves to be restricted to 1 year deals. BELKIN, the guy fighting them and the one who has so far won the rights to own the team in the courts, is the one who got that 1 year restriction increased to 4 years.

So Belkin is the guy wanting contracts back, not this guy and the rest of the Spirit team. Otherwise they wouldn't have pushed for the contract limits that forced Belkin to push back.

OTD
08-04-2006, 07:26 PM
If Al would come here and play the way he did before he blew that knee out, would be great. But if he came here and played the way he did after blowing the knee out, no let him walk.

Naptown_Seth
08-04-2006, 07:29 PM
I just thought of the 2 possible answers to who the Hawks have reached an agreement with as soon as they finish the Al deal.

Marvin Ely
Antonio Davis

not to mention the fact that he would settle for $10 million in cash? That's an unusual request, and also doubtful that any team would comply.
The CBA explicitly restricts the cash exchanged on a trade to $3m, end of story. Not sure what the original comment meant when he said $10m cash.

The owner IMO was talking 10m average, not base year, and that isn't new. He is then saying "if we take on a 10m contract so Al can get that, that player better be d*** good."

Shade
08-04-2006, 07:45 PM
You don't think Al wants $10 mil? I don't see why he wouldn't? This game is business first. If Nene can get $10 mil and guys like Gooden and Wilcox want it - Harrington definitely deserves it.

No offense, but I'm really getting tired of Hawks fans making this comparison. Nene is getting $10 mil/year because he is a center. Centers always come at a premium. There is no comparison between Al and Nene.

Shade
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
At this point, I just want this resolved one way or another. This wait is ridiculous. :kickcan:

Sollozzo
08-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Amen.

I for one would rather have Peja at 60 something million than Al for 50 something million. Peja is a tad bit of a better basketball player than Harrington.

Al for 70 something million? That would be foolish. How could anyone believe he is worth that kind of money? I realize it's probably just speculation.

Shade
08-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Amen.

I for one would rather have Peja at 60 something million than Al for 50 something million. Peja is a tad bit of a better basketball player than Harrington.

Al for 70 something million? That would be foolish. How could anyone believe he is worth that kind of money?

We couldn't give Al that if we wanted to. It's not a possibility.

Naptown_Seth
08-05-2006, 03:11 AM

Al for 70 something million? That would be foolish. How could anyone believe he is worth that kind of money? I realize it's probably just speculation.
Didn't you mention this in another thread where I pointed out that its not a $10m difference, but a $17m difference if you are talking only a 5 year deal. It's a per year average of 3.4m a year more...not a tad more, that's a good chunk, a decent bench player.

46m to the 63m Peja got. And in this case the Pacers get Al for a 6th year locked in at the lower starting salary. Peja's deal also runs him to age 34 while Al's deal puts him at 31 (despite going an extra year). 5 years from now Peja will be taking 15m in cap space compared to Al taking under 11m (basically where Peja is starting at now).

Naptown_Seth
08-05-2006, 03:14 AM
From what I have read.....either Wright, Cato or KandiMan.

I'm thinking its Wright.
:einstein:
:brilliant