PDA

View Full Version : Brunner} What Does Lineup Look Like Now?

Will Galen
08-04-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060804.html

Friday, Aug. 4, 2006

What Does Lineup Look Like Now?
QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. If the season was to start today what would the starting lineup be and who would the sixth man be? Also, if the Pacers where to get Al Harrington, how would the lineup and sixth man change? (From Bobby in Eugene, Ore.)

A. Normally, I try to stay away from questions like these because the answer doesn't hold a lot of meaning. In this case, with the season starting three months from now and little chance that the current roster will remain static until then, it's particularly so. But given the amount of change to this point, it's an interesting exercise to try to sort things out as best as possible.

At point, at the moment, Jamaal Tinsley appears to be the starter. If his career was a cat, it'd be entering its ninth life. Stephen Jackson is penciled in at shooting guard, although it's clear there are more options available (Marquis Daniels, James White) if he falters. Danny Granger is poised to move into the small forward spot, with plenty of support from the aforementioned Daniels and White, or possibly Shawne Williams, if necessary. Power forward is the domain of Jermaine O'Neal, and Jeff Foster is the incumbent at center. As for the sixth man of this group, the prime candidate is Daniels because he is a three-position player at the three positions where the team just might need the most help.

Acquiring a player of Harrington's caliber would, of course, change things. While the backcourt wouldn't be affected, the frontcourt would have many more possibilities. The Pacers could employ a smaller lineup with Harrington at power forward and O'Neal at center, leaving Granger at small forward. Or they could go big, with Harrington at small forward and O'Neal and Foster paired on the front line. Exactly what would be the best lineup over the long haul remains to be seen but the offensive potential of the smaller lineup, particularly in a faster-paced system, is particularly intriguing.

With Harrington in the lineup, the sixth man role would become more flexible. With the bigger lineup, Granger and Daniels would be at the top of the second-unit rotation. With the smaller group, Daniels would likely remain the most prominent reserve. With either lineup, in fact, it might be hard to identify a particular sixth man because of the depth and flexibility of the players on the bench. With Daniels, Maceo Baston, Sarunas Jasikevicius, David Harrison, Darrell Armstrong, White, Shawne Williams and Orien Greene in reserve, the second unit promises the ability for the coaching staff to mix and match as needed.

Frank Slade
08-04-2006, 12:11 PM
So apparently Bruno thinks that JO will play the 4 mostly and Granger come off the bench, if Harrington is aquired.

Kegboy
08-04-2006, 12:20 PM
At point, at the moment, Jamaal Tinsley appears to be the starter. If his career was a cat, it'd be entering its ninth life.

Ouch. That's a pretty negative comment from a PS&E employee. :devil:

grace
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
At point, at the moment, Jamaal Tinsley appears to be the starter. If his career was a cat, it'd be entering its ninth life.

Naw. He's only been in the league since '01. That would make this his 6th life.

able
08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Ouch. That's a pretty negative comment from a PS&E employee. :devil:
Perhaps, it only makes clear that this season is make or break for Jamaal, nothing else, also he is not pencilled in but cemented, so forget him leaving, Jax on the other hand.......

waxman
08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I would really like to see what Daniels could do with a starting role. Without any pure shooters we're gonna need another player that can create their own shot, get to the bucket, and drop dimes in the paint. If Jack is still here.... he needs to come off the bench where he can be an offensive spark. We need consistant focused play from our starting unit.

kidthecat
08-04-2006, 02:29 PM
I would really like to see what Daniels could do with a starting role. Without any pure shooters we're gonna need another player that can create their own shot, get to the bucket, and drop dimes in the paint. If Jack is still here.... he needs to come off the bench where he can be an offensive spark. We need consistant focused play from our starting unit.

Exactly. Besides, it seems silly Daniels would go from Dallas' bench to Indiana's bench in the same manner. I see Daniels overtaking Jackson by break, if Jackson isn't moved by then.

waxman
08-04-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm afraid if Jack is still here....Carlisle will continue to follow the precedent he set last season, by allowing him to jaw at the refs, loose focus and then just leave him out there on the floor, which simply encourages the behavior.

I have difficulty believing Carlisle will suddenly put his foot down, and command respect.

Hicks
08-04-2006, 02:51 PM
I think Tinsley is safe, Jack is next to be shopped.

BoomBaby31
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Exactly. Besides, it seems silly Daniels would go from Dallas' bench to Indiana's bench in the same manner. I see Daniels overtaking Jackson by break, if Jackson isn't moved by then.

The only way Daniels is starting if they "experiment" with him at PG or Jax gets traded. IMO I think Jax is a better overall player then Daniels. Daniels will play a much bigger role then he did in Dallas though even coming off the bench.

Destined4Greatness
08-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Jack will be in the starting lineup simply because of his perimeter shooting. Daniels will get plenty of time when Jamaal goes down, and Granger will get plenty of time when JO goes down.

The starting lineup at the beginning of the year really doesn't matter. There will be plenty of time for Daniels, Jax, and Granger when JO and JT go down.

Destined4Greatness
08-04-2006, 04:48 PM
The only way Daniels is starting if they "experiment" with him at PG or Jax gets traded. IMO I think Jax is a better overall player then Daniels. Daniels will play a much bigger role then he did in Dallas though even coming off the bench.

Exactly plus he can be a spark off the bench more effectively than Jack because he can come off the bench for 3 positions.

Say if we are starting Daniels and Granger. And both are playing really well, well then Daniels coming in would require us to take out a quality player.

But Since Daniels can play PG, SG, and SF, theres more versatility in case we aren't getting solid play from one of those positions.

waxman
08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't consider Jack to be the better player. The only thing he might be better at is 3pt shooting. They are both decent post players... Daniels has a better mid range and "off the dribble" game. Defensively they're close.

I remember as a kid playing ball outside in the Indiana winter with mittons on. Sometimes it looks like Stephen is playing with freaking mittons on. IMO he miss handles the ball alot.

Destined4Greatness
08-04-2006, 05:41 PM
You know why he mishandles the ball because he was a 3rd option at best forced to be a number one option half the damn season.

They are about equal overall players, but Jack has proven he can be a legit starter in this league and stay healthy which gives him points. Until Daniels can miss fewer than 20 games a year, and start consistently hes got some things to prove.

ABADays
08-04-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm afraid if Jack is still here....Carlisle will continue to follow the precedent he set last season, by allowing him to jaw at the refs, loose focus and then just leave him out there on the floor, which simply encourages the behavior.

I have difficulty believing Carlisle will suddenly put his foot down, and command respect.

I don't think Carlisle has a choice in the matter this year. That decision has been made by a higher power.

Destined4Greatness
08-04-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't think Rick really had much of a choice, because of Injuries throughout the year taking Jack out would have meant putting Sarunas in. And we all know how Runi hates playing SG.

Naptown_Seth
08-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I also think Rick was really restricted in what he could do the last 2 years. He HAD to experiement, simply because he had to play the healthy players and make lineups from those pieces. How do you not use the few guys who are there everyday (Jack, AJ, SarJas)?

SarJas went a long way into his struggles before finally hitting the bench, and some of that was dependent on other players being available.

Jack's problem with ball handling isn't just "he's not the #1 option", really that's just a comment that says "back off the expectations" because people do expect way too much for the money he gets.

But the bad ball handling has to do with how far from his body he likes to dribble, and how high at times, especially in the post where he doesn't protect it well from the double.

However Jack is a better post player than Daniels, and obviously Daniels doesn't shoot the 3, period. To me Jack is clearly the starter. I don't even understand the point of "why would he go from bench to bench". He was TRADED, that's why. AC was a bench player except when there were injuries. You just shifted inside bench for outside bench (defense especially).

Bruno doesn't say that Granger hits the bench if Al comes, he says COULD if they chose to run a BIG LINEUP. Al at the 3 would be a very big lineup, one that would hit the boards well. But I don't think they are drastically smaller with Danny at the 3 and Al and JO bumped up.

Regardless, Bruno added that this smaller version would be the better offensive team. IMO its obvious that the smaller version is more likely to be the open half-court type of team they are looking for.

Tinsley - I agree with Able, Bruno is using 9th life to suggest that Tinsley is in a "last chance" situation. He's planted in the starter spot if he is kept (seems likely to me), but will have to prove he can stay on the court enough to be successful (like he was just a couple of seasons ago - leader in +/- per game and per 48 for the 61 win team).

The most important point by Bruno was this...who cares right now, this team doesn't have Al yet and doesn't seem settled. We really need to look at it in another month.