PDA

View Full Version : Where will the next Forum Party be?

Jose Slaughter
08-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Well, the masses have spoken and we have a date set.

Saturday, December 16th.

Now lets work on the location.

grace
08-04-2006, 06:08 AM
The only choice I veto is downtown. Call me a wimp, I don't care. As for having it at Jose's house I wouldn't do that to Mrs. Jose.

fooddaman
08-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Perfect choice Anderson... Castleton would be a close second.

Diamond Dave
08-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Danville!

But there is nothing wrong with Briggsby's is there?

aero
08-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I voted for "Somewhere in downtown Indy" , im not a huge fan of Pizza King, Id rather go to a BW3 or a Hooters :blush:

FlavaDave
08-04-2006, 09:20 AM
The only choice I veto is downtown. Call me a wimp, I don't care. As for having it at Jose's house I wouldn't do that to Mrs. Jose.

What about downtown is there to wimp out about?

Achilles98
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
i hated the parking and traffic in downtown. of course I don't live in Indy anymore so i'll shut up :)

McClintic Sphere
08-04-2006, 09:48 AM
The Red Garter lounge is the logical choice. It's the only place that matches our refined sophistication.

btowncolt
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
i hated the parking and traffic in downtown. of course I don't live in Indy anymore so i'll shut up :)

Man, do I miss the traffic and parking "problems" in Indy.

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM

LOL - as someone who used to frequently drive through NJ, NYC and LI I heartily agree.

For the most part, folks in Indiana know how to drive. There are a few idiots, but remarkable enough to notice - on the Jersey Pike they were the rule. I always enjoyed hauling a horse trailer and someone would decide to cut in right behind me - somehow failing to notice that the trailer was attached to my truck. Being cut off while hauling 5 or 6 horses and having to jam on the brakes hard enough to bounce them off the walls was special too.

rexnom
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Kinda wish I had those parking problems in Boston...or the 5 dollar mall sized parking structures...

Gamble
08-04-2006, 11:06 AM
The KIng has spoken I guess. ITs hard to find quite places downtown
especially on Saturdays but I'm up for anything as long as it appropriate.

grace
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM
What about downtown is there to wimp out about?

General downtown traffic in December. Trying to find a parking place. Walking back to my car at 3AM.

Slick Pinkham
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Have it at my house and it can be a pool party, even if it's December.

Frank Slade
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
I voted downtown, and Grace I have secured some transportation, to help with your parking concerns.

http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/benny4_051115.jpg

No need to thank me.

Gamble
08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
General downtown traffic in December. Trying to find a parking place. Walking back to my car at 3AM.

As in the commercials "priceless"

vapacersfan
08-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Wait, WHAT?!?!?!?!

Are you saying that we are not good drivers here in the VA/MD/DC area :mad:

Naptown_Seth
08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
"We fear change."

- Garth

Downtown options, I could help but having never attended one before I don't know what kind of situation the PK has giving you - price, private room/space, TVs, number of people, etc.

So I voted PK since that seems to be the normal situation. But places like Chaamps or the Ram could fit the people and would have sports on TV too. Price might be an issue, or seating arrangements, whatever.

CableKC
08-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I suggest Amici's Pizza in Palo Alto, California. That way..I can it my first PD Forum Party.

That's not too far for most of you guys is it? :shrug:

Naptown_Seth
08-04-2006, 07:25 PM
The Red Garter lounge is the logical choice. It's the only place that matches our refined sophistication.
Oh, there's one I forgot to mention. :D

BTW, agree on the "problems" in Indy. Wake me when rush hour means stopped highway traffic for 3 hours each morning and night and regardless of there beign an accident or weather issue (it only gets worse then). Houston made me want to :suicide4:rather than commute into town from anywhere on the westside. Same as Chi, LA, or any of the usual east coast suspects.

And parking, I get mad in Indy if I don't find a space on a daytime meter within 2 blocks, I'm upset if I pay more than $3 for 5-6 hours of parking. Try doing that in Chicago ever. :) You get so spoiled here, its so easy to get around.

Shade
08-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree with Grace, downtown parking is a nightmare. And with as long as our parties are, it would cost a fortune to park in a garage.

The closer to Indianapolis, the better. Though I'm kinda intrigued at having a party at Jose's house. :eyebrow:

BillS
08-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Traffic and parking problems in Indianapolis?

:hmm::chuckle::laugh::lmao::lol::lol2::rotflmao:

ABADays
08-04-2006, 10:21 PM
The Pizza Hut next to the PX

grace
08-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Look, I know to all the big city dudes on the board driving in Indy is no big deal. Honestly it isn't unless it's during the Christmas shopping season. Unless you really want me to show up at the party having a conniption fit we're better off having it somewhere else.

And for those of you who think watching me have a conniption sounds fun ask Kegboy--it's not.

Eindar
08-05-2006, 01:24 AM
I personally will never drive north of, say, 10th street to attend one of these. I live on the south side, and that's where I prefer to stay. That's why I voted for Downtown. It's central to everyone, and while I understand the north side bias (as it exists in everything involving Indy), it's a bit selfish to only have these events be accessible to Northsiders.

Not that I'd ever call people from the north side elitist snobs, at least, not to their faces :)

Peck
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I personally will never drive north of, say, 10th street to attend one of these. I live on the south side, and that's where I prefer to stay. That's why I voted for Downtown. It's central to everyone, and while I understand the north side bias (as it exists in everything involving Indy), it's a bit selfish to only have these events be accessible to Northsiders.

Not that I'd ever call people from the north side elitist snobs, at least, not to their faces :)

I'm not sure why you think there is a north side bias. Many of us drive in from way out of town so it is actually farther for us to go there than anywhere else.

However the reason this place works so well for us is that they leave us alone. Jose orders some Pizza's & the manager makes sure we keep pitchers of drinks out there, but other than that they leave us in peace. The crowd for eating in house is very light there & they configure the room to a circle so we can have plenty of room. My only complaint about the place is they close so d@mn early.

There is no way this would ever work at a BW 3's or hooters or any of those other places because even though it's called a party in reality it is a large discussion. So in essance we need some form of quiet because it's hard to hear everyone & the last thing we need is blarring music in the background.

So in reality it has nothing to do with the geographic location of Pizza King it has everything to do with the facility.

Eindar
08-05-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm not sure why you think there is a north side bias. Many of us drive in from way out of town so it is actually farther for us to go there than anywhere else.

However the reason this place works so well for us is that they leave us alone. Jose orders some Pizza's & the manager makes sure we keep pitchers of drinks out there, but other than that they leave us in peace. The crowd for eating in house is very light there & they configure the room to a circle so we can have plenty of room. My only complaint about the place is they close so d@mn early.

There is no way this would ever work at a BW 3's or hooters or any of those other places because even though it's called a party in reality it is a large discussion. So in essance we need some form of quiet because it's hard to hear everyone & the last thing we need is blarring music in the background.

So in reality it has nothing to do with the geographic location of Pizza King it has everything to do with the facility.

I'm with you that you don't want a place that's rocking at 80+ decibels, but any place you name will cater to the size events that you're talking about. It's called good business. In this particular instance, it probably came to to Jose living on the north side and it was convenient for him, so that's where it was, and the rest was history. But, in terms of other things, there is a definite north side bias. Listen to the radio sometime when they say they're having a special promotion for free gas or t-shirt giveaways. 85% of the time it's on the north side.

Roaming Gnome
08-05-2006, 03:45 AM

These are the very reasons that this event should stay at Briggsy's in Castleton. I just feel going anywhere else we will be competing with loud music, managment, and logistics issues with parking and ect, ect.

As far as them closing early, I kinda like the shuffle down to Perkins for the change of pace in grub and the conversation usually gets more serious.

The only places I can see halfway accomdating us like Castleton is Danville, or Jose's crib. Danville being a small town, that Pizza King could be rather busy on a Saturday.

Unclebuck
08-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Peck makes the most sense.

Eindar: your point about North side bias has nothing to do with this discussion, but if you want to know why their is a northside bias it is because of two reasons. Population and money. More people live on the nothside and more people with money live on the northside than other parts of the city.

Ultimate Frisbee
08-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Cali... :)

Naptown_Seth
08-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Well there are places like Elbow Room downtown where you have plenty of free parking on the street and is a pretty quiet area, at least in the restaurant side. Not sure about the amount of time they'd be happy with though.

In good weather Old Point Tavern (or whatever its called) at Mass and Vermont would have plenty of quiet enough seating outside and they would probably leave the group alone. Again, parking not a problem there, but food is dogs and such.

Most of the downtown places that come to mind aren't off the corner of Illinois and Washington, and therefore have no parking or traffic issues at all. The biggest issue is the space and the time needed it sounds like.

You know the Rathskeller is one that has the space but could be loud depending on the day of the week.

Anyway, my only point is it could be done I think, but having not attended before I wouldn't feel comfortable with any recommendation. I just think that people thinking about Hooters or anything off the CC Mall are looking at a downtown option the wrong way. That's the same as proposing to get together in the Castleton Mall foodcourt. Of course you wouldn't do that.

How many people normally attend?

Eindar
08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Peck makes the most sense.

Eindar: your point about North side bias has nothing to do with this discussion, but if you want to know why their is a northside bias it is because of two reasons. Population and money. More people live on the nothside and more people with money live on the northside than other parts of the city.

Oh, I understand. That doesn't mean I have to like it. However, the bias is still disproportionate to the population/money. 80+% of the population and money don't exist on the north side, but I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that 80+% of promotions and contests are held on the north side.

pizza guy
08-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Well, it's my professional opinion that we should either A.) Stay at Castleton, B.) Find an Arni's as I don't particularly care for the PK, or C.) Come to the Pizza King I work at. As long as no one minds coming north of Indy about 2 hrs., it'd work great!

Jose Slaughter
08-06-2006, 10:00 AM
In this particular instance, it probably came to to Jose living on the north side and it was convenient for him, so that's where it was, and the rest was history.

Eindar

I agree with some of your points & disagree with others but I feel I need to address the comment quoted above.

From the very beginning I have always been open to moving the parties to different points around Indianapolis. I believe the 2nd one was at a Max & Erma's on the northwest side of town.

I've mentioned many times that for various reasons I tend to not get out a whole lot, so I'm more than happy to take suggestions for locations for the next party. Much like this thread. I do have a better knowledge of the northside but that is only because thats where I happen to live. Much like anyone with locations closer to their home.

In the past theres been some that were interested in finding a spot on the southside, more recently others have mentioned the westside. The whole point of these little parties is to get the greatest number of Pacers fans together. If that means we move the party to Plainfield from here on out, then so be it. However, this poll, like everyother we've done in the past, points to the greatest participation for a location on the northside. So it looks like the next party will once again be at the Castleton Pizza King

I hope you can set aside some of the feelings you have of the northside & join some of your forum friends for a night of face to face Pacer talk.

Trader Joe
08-06-2006, 11:10 AM
God if I am ever to attend one of these, there is no way it is going to be in Anderson or New Castle. Either one of these two places and its not worth the gas for me (sorry). Danville I could make, but Im slightly bitter towards the city as a whole (its a bit of a story). Castleton or downtown works best for me, and yes I am actually considering attending one. 16th is the last day of finals so I could be back from Bloomington with time to spare.

FlavaDave
08-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Rathskellar is a good call. Especially if we can go on a night when they aren't having dinner in the banquet room. That would be spacious and quiet.

Doug
08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Rathskellar is a good call. Especially if we can go on a night when they aren't having dinner in the banquet room. That would be spacious and quiet.

I'd have to take a taxi home from that party. Or bring a designated driver.

FlavaDave
08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
I'd have to take a taxi home from that party. Or bring a designated driver.

The beer there is so thick, I defy anyone to drink more than two and not get a little goofy.

Since86
08-07-2006, 01:20 PM
That's why I voted for Downtown. It's central to everyone, and while I understand the north side bias (as it exists in everything involving Indy), it's a bit selfish to only have these events be accessible to Northsiders.

:huh: There's quite a lot of posters outside of Indy in general.

I'm voting for Castleton, because I don't know of another place that would actually give up what they do. For those who haven't attended, it's actually quite a site to see.

There's 20+ people sitting in a circle, not at tables mind you, with Peck leading the masses in discussion. Not only does the location need to be semi-unattended by other people, it needs to have large enough facilities, and waiters/waitresses that will actually tend to the group.

I love bdubs and hooters, but having a party there wouldn't work, unless there was one with a conference room and that would be a stretch.

There's more than just what part of the state the building sits at, to think about here.