PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice: Knicks not on TNT, ESPN or ABC at all this season.

Unclebuck
08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I read this in an article out of Milwaukee and I'm a little surprised. So I looked through the TV schedule and the Knicks are no where to be found. Yes the Knicks are horrible, but I thought they would be a decent draw.

But more than anything I just want to point out that TV ratings success is not based on market size, even though a common myth is that "the big market teams get all the calls" because the NBA wants those teams to advance in the playoffs.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=479485&format=print

Bucks games not in national interest
Posted: Aug. 2, 2006
SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

The Milwaukee Bucks are not an attraction for the National Basketball Association's television partners.

That doesn't exactly qualify as breaking news. Anyone who has been following the Bucks the last two decades knows that, with the exception of the 2002-'03 season, the Bucks have never been invited to play much under the big top.

The upcoming season is no exception.

Milwaukee is set to be on national TV just once, at Detroit on Feb. 2 on ESPN. The NBA's TV partners since 2002 have been ABC, ESPN and TNT.

Of the 16 teams to make the playoffs last season, the Bucks' national TV appearances for this season are the lowest of any of them.

Advertisement

The Memphis Grizzlies, with two appearances, come close to the Bucks' total, but no other playoff team has fewer than eight (Indiana).

The 13 other playoff teams all are in double digits in national TV appearances, led by the Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers, each with 24.

The most times any team can appear on ABC-TV is five, on TNT nine and on ESPN 10, according to Mike Bass, vice president of public relations for the NBA.

Appearances on NBA TV, the NBA's own TV channel, are not part of this count because its audience is a fraction of the other TV partners. The Bucks are on NBA TV three times this season, while eight teams are on the maximum of nine times.

Bucks vice president of business operations John Steinmiller said having the Bucks play on national TV is not as much a concern to him as making most of the games the Bucks play available to the team's fans.

"To me, No. 1 is reaching fans in our zone with cable and our over-the-air," Steinmiller said. He said the Bucks' local TV package is not yet cast, but only a "handful" of all 82 games won't be televised this season. "That's the main thing, that our people can see the games," he said. "Then you get into the bragging rights and the expectations and who they want to have. It's always nice to be wanted by national TV. But to be wanted you have to perform on the court at a very high level."

Last year, the Bucks were not scheduled to make any national TV appearances, but a Feb. 22 game at the Chicago Bulls was added to ESPN's package.

The season following the Bucks' trip to the Eastern Conference Finals, Milwaukee enjoyed its most national exposure, with 13 regular-season games on either NBC (four) or Turner (nine).

The Bucks aren't perennial winners and just aren't a glamour team. They don't have a star or stars on the level of Cleveland's LeBron James.

"Being a young team our stars are in the growth range," said Steinmiller. "Michael Redd will benefit from his Olympic experience over the next two or three years and establish a name. Hopefully Andrew Bogut and (Charlie) Villanueva will do the same thing."

The Bucks don't play in a big market. The Chicago Bulls do play in a big market and that fact coupled with all of their off-season moves combined to give Chicago 21 appearances on national TV this season. Last season, the Bulls were on national TV nine times.

"There's a demand to see certain matchups," Bass said. "Obviously if you look at the records of the teams and the success of the teams that are maxed out, you see that winning draws more attention than losing. The networks along with the NBA want to meet the demands of the fans as much as we can and put the games on they are most interested in seeing."

There are teams in the NBA considered just as unattractive as the Bucks and some even more unattractive.

The Charlotte Hornets, like the Bucks, have one shot on national TV. The Hornets are set to make only one appearance on NBA TV.

The Atlanta Hawks, the New York Knicks, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Toronto Raptors at this moment are O-fers, not scheduled to make any national TV appearances this season.

In the current television contract, there are no minimums for the number of times teams have to appear on national TV each season, according to Bass.

But zero for the Knicks, even though it hasn't been the league's best TV draw, seems particularly stunning because it is the largest TV market in the country. However, those teams could get time because there is some flexibility that allows networks to add teams in season.

"It's certainly one of your second-tier goals to be good enough to be on national TV," Steinmiller said. "And it is important to your players. I'm not dismissing being on national TV. But now the way (NBA) League Pass is, family and friends can see you play. If you are on TV, you are on League Pass. It's not like it used to be when the only times your friends and family could watch you was if you were on Sunday afternoons. Virtually every game is a national game now."

MagicRat
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Bad move by the NBA. Stephon Marbury was on Regis and Kelly the other day and predicted a big year for the Knicks.

He was also promoting his new shoe, which will sell for $14.98. Apparently he's going to wear the new shoe this coming season.

grace
08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Does anyone (besides DisplacedKnick) really care that the Knicks aren't on national TV?

DisplacedKnick
08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Does anyone (besides DisplacedKnick) really care that the Knicks aren't on national TV?

I don't even care. This season is completely irrelevant.

rexnom
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't even care. This season is completely irrelevant.
I really feel for you. You don't even have the draft to look forward to. At least this is Isiah's make-it-or-break year.

DisplacedKnick
08-03-2006, 12:32 PM
I really feel for you. You don't even have the draft to look forward to. At least this is Isiah's make-it-or-break year.

It's already broke. The crash part has happened - all that's left is the burn. This season is just Dolan's one-year delay in his next idiot move.

Young
08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
I was thinking that every team is on national tv atleast like twice a year or something. I guess not.

Kegboy
08-03-2006, 01:21 PM

:wave:

grace
08-03-2006, 01:46 PM

I don't believe you. :tongue:

Actually I probably do since you think the Knicks are going to win it all this year.

8.9_seconds
08-03-2006, 02:06 PM
If you Live outside Indiana, It's hard to catch a Pacer game too. Granted, it's not as hard as seeing a Bucks game, but It would still be nice to watch the Pacers more than once or twice a month.

DisplacedKnick
08-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, there's a way to change that - by winning some games.

It won't change this year.

SoupIsGood
08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, there's a way to change that - by winning some games.

It won't change this year.

Of course not. Our winning this year would not change the TV schedule until next year.

DisplacedKnick
08-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Of course not. Our winning this year would not change the TV schedule until next year.

Believe me - the Knicks were scheduled for an ABC game last March and were taken off. They'll change the schedule if they think it'll draw better ratings.

Unclebuck
08-03-2006, 03:44 PM
ESPN's schedule is very flexible because there are so many other games on Wednesday and Friday nights, ABC's schedule is pretty flexible because there are other games on Sundays that can be moved into the ABC's time slot.
But TNT's schedule is pretty much locked in because there is usually only one other game on Thursday nights

kerosene
08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Jordan must've called in a favor from his good buddy Dave just to stick to Isiah once more for Isiah's legendary All Star Game behavior :rolleyes:

Robertmto
08-03-2006, 04:36 PM

If they get Jeffries - I'll care.

Sollozzo
08-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I read this in an article out of Milwaukee and I'm a little surprised. So I looked through the TV schedule and the Knicks are no where to be found. Yes the Knicks are horrible, but I thought they would be a decent draw.

But more than anything I just want to point out that TV ratings success is not based on market size, even though a common myth is that "the big market teams get all the calls" because the NBA wants those teams to advance in the playoffs.

Your exactly right, ratings are not based on market size. They are however, based on superstars.

The NBA loves to promote it's superstars. It's a superstars league. Lebron James plays in one of the smallest markets in the league, but the Cavs will get on national tv many times this year. He is the sole reason for that.

The NBA depends on players far more for ratings than the NFL or MLB do. Superstars are why people watch the NBA. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, Lebron.

There can be no denying that the NBA favors it's superstars and loves to promote them.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I can't believe no one caught this:

"The Charlotte Hornets, like the Bucks, have one shot on national TV. The Hornets are set to make only one appearance on NBA TV."

Slackers. :rolleyes: How can you read this garbage with errors like that! Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night wondering if he means the Hornets or Bobcats. :boggled:

Robertmto
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I would imagine its the Hornets seeing as how Morrison is so marketable.

Bball
08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I would imagine its the Hornets seeing as how Morrison is so marketable.

There's something I've been wanting to say ever since you started posted....

Domo arigato, Mr Robertmto

My apologies to Styx. :rimshot:

-Bball

Eindar
08-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Bad move by the NBA. Stephon Marbury was on Regis and Kelly the other day and predicted a big year for the Knicks.

He was also promoting his new shoe, which will sell for $14.98. Apparently he's going to wear the new shoe this coming season.

Am I the only one who cares about the $15 shoes? Who makes it, Wal-Mart? MR, is that a typo? Payless doesn't even sell their tennis shoes that cheap.

skyfire
08-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Hehe, it seems like all the games I ever see on the Australian version of the ESPN feed are Bucks and 6ers games.

Good to see Bogut play but i'm soo sick of watching AI

Robertmto
08-03-2006, 08:13 PM
There's something I've been wanting to say ever since you started posted....

Domo arigato, Mr Robertmto

My apologies to Styx. :rimshot:

-Bball

I actually haven't heard that on any of the boards I post on. I chuckled.

grace
08-04-2006, 12:33 AM
If they get Jeffries - I'll care.

If they get Jeffires I'm sure they'll be on TV every week. :-o

Robertmto
08-04-2006, 01:05 AM
If they get Jeffires I'm sure they'll be on TV every week. :-o

that hurt

:(

grace
08-04-2006, 01:29 AM
that hurt

Well, maybe if he resigns with the Bullets :cringe: I mean the Wizards, then they'd be on the TV every week.

haloguy
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I live in nj
I can get all the knicks game I want on the msg network
Not that I want to see them

MagicRat
08-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Am I the only one who cares about the $15 shoes? Who makes it, Wal-Mart? MR, is that a typo? Payless doesn't even sell their tennis shoes that cheap.

He claimed they would be the same quality as a shoe costing a couple hundred dollars. Didn't say who made them, but apparently they are only going to be available at a store I've never heard of called Steve and Barry's. Must be an east coast chain.

Here's an article I found about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/sports/basketball/18marbury.html?ex=1308283200&en=a15f8290889d83ce&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

"we need more people like me."

Robertmto
08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Well, maybe if he resigns with the Bullets :cringe: I mean the Wizards, then they'd be on the TV every week.

As a matter of fact the Wiz have 18 national televised games - plus the 3 I can see against Indy (2 in person)

How many do the Bulls have?

:tongue:

Spicoli
08-04-2006, 10:15 AM
He claimed they would be the same quality as a shoe costing a couple hundred dollars. Didn't say who made them, but apparently they are only going to be available at a store I've never heard of called Steve and Barry's. Must be an east coast chain.

Here's an article I found about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/sports/basketball/18marbury.html?ex=1308283200&en=a15f8290889d83ce&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

"we need more people like me."

I think there's a Steve and Barry's at the gangsta mall on the Wesside...

grace
08-04-2006, 01:17 PM
As a matter of fact the Wiz have 18 national televised games - plus the 3 I can see against Indy (2 in person)

How many do the Bulls have?

:tongue:

Ah, 30?

Eindar
08-05-2006, 05:09 AM
I think there's a Steve and Barry's at the gangsta mall on the Wesside...

After some research, I found out you can get these on the 17th at Lafayette Square Mall, which is just peachy, because my body armor gets back from the cleaners on the 15th, so I'm gonna go buy a couple pair of these when I can. :)

3ballinhoop
08-05-2006, 05:20 AM
/me wants a pair of those too. :-)

Too bad there is no Indianapolis Lafayette Square Mall where I live.
15 dollars is not much more than 10 Euro, that's an awsome price for a basketball shoe, and they look pretty cool too. Anyone wanna send me a pair? :)

Walmart actually exists here, I have one a few minutes away, but they are withdrawing from Germany, apparently having a hard time to establish themselves among customers.

Eindar
08-05-2006, 05:49 AM
/me wants a pair of those too. :-)

Too bad there is no Indianapolis Lafayette Square Mall where I live.
15 dollars is not much more than 10 Euro, that's an awsome price for a basketball shoe, and they look pretty cool too. Anyone wanna send me a pair? :)

Walmart actually exists here, I have one a few minutes away, but they are withdrawing from Germany, apparently having a hard time to establish themselves among customers.

People here have a pretty good rep of doing that for the people from other countries. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a PM in a day or two.

3ballinhoop
08-05-2006, 05:57 AM

gilpdawg
08-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Is the Lafayette Square Mall really that bad, or is that a myth? I haven't been to that part of town in years, because when I come to Indy, I usually do all my stuff on the east side, since I live east of town. I mean, I always hear people saying it's bad there, but sometimes people exaggerate.

DisplacedKnick
08-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Is the Lafayette Square Mall really that bad, or is that a myth? I haven't been to that part of town in years, because when I come to Indy, I usually do all my stuff on the east side, since I live east of town. I mean, I always hear people saying it's bad there, but sometimes people exaggerate.

I used to go there during the day but never at night. But in the last couple of years people are getting shot in the parking lot at 3 in the afternoon.

Robertmto
08-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Ah, 30?

So

grace
08-08-2006, 12:53 AM
So

You asked me how many they have. I counted them up and told you.

Fool
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Steve and Barry's (at least here in Ann Arbor) is a discount t-shirt store. The kind that sells you 5 college (here that'd be Michigan) team t-shirts for the price of one. If the shoes are like the t-shirts, I wouldn't count on them to last.