PDA

View Full Version : Sports.ws is Out

DisplacedKnick
08-03-2006, 09:14 AM
http://hoops.sports.ws/

We regret to announce that Sports.ws will not be offering its basketball game for the 2006-2007 NBA season.

I'll send a message out to the Keeper League when I get home tonight. We need to figure out where this puts us.

able
08-03-2006, 09:21 AM
As where it puts a few other leagues i play in on there :)

I smile because the season is still a long way of, and I hate to worry about bridges being gone before i get in front of them.

I have a developer working on something, and I am awaiting feasibility and and time table, though I;ve been told that it is possible.
This would mean that the leagues I play in will be "safe" if that works out, but I will keep you informed and advise others to look for alternatives.

burnzone
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Damn, that really sucks, that was a great fantasy basketball site, very detailed.

I don't even know of any other sites that would compare to sports.ws, I guess we could have a yahoo league, even though it's not even close to the same quality, but it'd still be something to mess with during the season.

I'm sure it's hitting a little harder for the guys in keeper leagues, although I would have liked to have got into one of those.

Hopefully they can get back next season, and we can find something to take it's place for this season, but knowing it's not gonna be the same quality site.

Jose Slaughter
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I sent out a league wide e-mail lastnight.

I've been looking around alittle for about a week or so.

Most sites are the type where you play one team for a week, which I don't like. Others are limited to the number of teams you have, like 12. That is far to few for our needs.

I havn't checked into buying software yet. Mainly because of my lack of computer knowledge.

I'll up my search over the weekend & cross my fingures that Able can pull a rabbit outta his....... hat.

Thanks

able
08-03-2006, 10:02 AM
well I would have a yes or no can do in the next hour, however........

Assuming we can do it, it will be free for the time being, though I would be looking at adverts (google adds or something similar) to "reclaim" some of the cost.

Yes i would be free always for people from here of course, heck one does not charge a friend, but I might charge other shoudl I ever open it up to the public.
Also it may not look as spiffy in the beginning, I can not afford to have someone working on the looks and building the reggie site at the same time, simply to poor for that.
What I am looking for is functionality and perhaps "some" features may not be available straight away, but I would at least have rosters, players, competition and scoring in order.

I will let you know as soon as I get a reply from the oracle guru

able
08-03-2006, 10:06 AM
OK had an answer, he says can do, so make sure you have a backup plan, this is IT, and any coders (oracle, html etc.) please contact me if you want to work on this.

Jose Slaughter
08-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks Able

I don't think we would need anything too fancy. If you can get the basic, must have stuff, that would be a great start.

I wouldn't mind if you made it a "pay" site either. I would be willing to toss in a few coins to help you out.

Shade
08-03-2006, 10:26 AM
So, what does this mean for the Keeper league?

DisplacedKnick
08-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah - 2 years ago we had to pay, IIRC, $40 to have a premium league. That didn't bother me much and I think most owners would be willing to chip in 5 or 10.

I'd say that the stats, etc., is a nice option but not required - we can do our own research. Trades could be done via e-mail rather than CGI, etc.

A couple of years ago I did look around for sites doing a head-to-head format. I found a couple of leagues but from the look of things these were folks who individually decided to create their own site, write perl scripts, etc. on their own.

I'd be happy to help with html if I can - but my knowledge in that area is just very basic web design. Not sure how much help I'd actually be.

Slick Pinkham
08-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd be happy to help with html if I can - but my knowledge in that area is just very basic web design. Not sure how much help I'd actually be.

there's a guy named robodoug who is pretty clever.

;)

DrBadd01
08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks Able,
I would also be willing to toss in 5 to 10 if I need to.

DrBadd01
08-05-2006, 10:48 PM
So, what does this mean for the Keeper league?

Good Question. Hopefully it means that we are good to go as far as the Keeper is concerned.

BostonConnection
08-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Damn, I'm away from the forum and the NBA for a couple of months and the next thing I know, our fantasy league site isn't doing basketball :(, Al Harrington still isn't a Pacer again yet :hmm:, Dale Davis gets tazered in Miami :eek:, and brich tells me we've had a Twes sighting on pacersdigest :cool:.

Guess I gotta get back in the swing of things again...

Shade
08-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Damn, I'm away from the forum and the NBA for a couple of months and the next thing I know, our fantasy league site isn't doing basketball :(, Al Harrington still isn't a Pacer again yet :hmm:, Dale Davis gets tazered in Miami :eek:, and brich tells me we've had a Twes sighting on pacersdigest :cool:.

Guess I gotta get back in the swing of things again...

Welcome back, BC! :welcome:

Post more! :peace:

Slick Pinkham
08-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Maybe the remnants of sports.ws would sell their software package for a reasonable price?

It would be great to be able to play the same way going forward, and I'd be OK with chipping in a nominal fee, say 20-30 bucks, to play.

able
08-07-2006, 08:14 AM
They did at one time offer their site for sale, but I am sure that "using the software" is not a real option, besides that it is definitely cheaper to "clone" what they were doing, if we can get it setup (likely) with fast oracle databse structure the overhead on a server (excluding ram) is minimal, and the delays in the site in the past (it was usually outright slow) will be hopefully something we can overcome.

The problem in "accepting donations" is that at this moment in time the cost are made, while we do not have a guaranteed outcome, yet once it is up, we do not have real cost outside the inhouse hosting, and continued developments which we should be able to fund from fi google adds.

At this moment I am considering what hardware I have available that will allow development, as I can of course not spare one of my "main" servers.

RAM is the problem in others, but I will see how I overcome that one :)
(I oned ay have to make a list of the type of ram in the machines so I know that the crap I have in the cupboard actually fits some of those machines :D consider that some use ecc reg branded only and other do not work with ecc reg, and then consider the load of different busspeeds and you can throw away half the stack in the cupboard :) )

anyway, we are on our way with the dev and will see where we end, we think we can get it done.

Jose Slaughter
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I didn't understand half of what you said but I got the feeling we're headed in the right direction.

Doug
08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
there's a guy named robodoug who is pretty clever.

;)

I'm very, very booked right now. No time at all.

Which is too bad. Whipping up a fantasy basketball web-site would make an interesting little side project. My HTML skills suck, but all the hard stuff is on the server-side anyway - my specialty. But I basically have 3 major things going at once right now. I think my head might explode.

able
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
well doug, I have an oracle guru on the job, alas his knowledge of bball is 0 so it takes a lot of explaining

technically i have faith though but I have' to get hte hardware up that can provide sufficient power to oracle :D

but in reality there is no other way to go. since it has to be able to carry a user load and intense dbase usage.

there is whoever one thing yo might be able to assist us without to much worry, and that is by telling us what in your opinon the best way is to parse results and from where :)

Doug
08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
there is whoever one thing yo might be able to assist us without to much worry, and that is by telling us what in your opinon the best way is to parse results and from where :)

I have a mixed opinion on that one. I pulled them from nba.com last year. But the SOBs kept "enhancing" their scoreboard pages. Embedding scores in javascript, etc. It was a royal pain to parse that. And sometimes a game or two would just have bad scoreboards. I didn't really care, since my stuff was very much "non-production" and if I missed a game or miscalulated a stat or two, no big deal.

[For those of you that don't know - which is probably everyone - I pull stats nightly and generate a set of spreadsheets for my teams (and everybody elses for that matter. I use them to look for trades, evaluate line-ups, etc.]

I don't mind offering up my stat parsing code, but it is quite honestly a bunch of crap. If I were doing it over, I'd junk the whole lot of it myself.

One bit of advice: If possible, pull the stats from the "printable" box scores. They tend to have less of the fancy stuff and don't change as often. I keep hoping that nba.com will offer some kind of raw XML stats feed, but it hasn't happened yet.

Jose Slaughter
08-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Able

Do you have a progress report on where we stand?

able
08-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Coding is underway, I hope to setup the machine for it this weekend and then alpha fase of testing will begin.

we are underway :)

Jose Slaughter
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all your effort with this.

DrBadd01
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Yep. Thanks Able.

SycamoreKen
08-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Able, you're the man!

DisplacedKnick
08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Rock on Able!

Next weekend I'll be sending an e-mail out to the KL so we can start setting dates for the draft, expansion draft, submission of protected lists, etc.

Hicks
08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Is the KL forced into a reboot because of .ws being out?

DisplacedKnick
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Is the KL forced into a reboot because of .ws being out?

As far as I'm concerned it's business as usual. Most of our preseason stuff doesn't involve the site anyway.

I will have to talk to Able about the ability to have a customized draft but if need be we can do our draft via a chat room/discussion board. I could even set up a listserv. But we don't need to worry about that for a couple of months.

Hicks
08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
What I don't understand is, if the site is lost, how will you give everyone their teams/rosters back? Isn't that all wiped clean?

DisplacedKnick
08-20-2006, 09:48 PM
What I don't understand is, if the site is lost, how will you give everyone their teams/rosters back? Isn't that all wiped clean?

The site doesn't keep that. I have an Excel (and text) file with them, based on the team lineups the last regular season game. I'll send those out next weekend to everyone. I'd bet that all the owners know who they had anyway.

Plus I THINK (haven't bothered to check) that the old seasons are still available at the site - the announcement they had said they would be anyway.

But we don't use the site for any of that until the season draft - but I have to manually enter the first 9 rds since those are the holdover players, plus I have to manually set the draft order because it's based on the previous season's records. If Able can set that up, fine. If not there are about a dozen other ways to draft and it would probably save me from having to enter all that anyway - might have to freeze in-draft trading though. That could make it tough to keep up with.

Up to that point, it's all e-mail.

Jose Slaughter
08-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Coding is underway, I hope to setup the machine for it this weekend and then alpha fase of testing will begin.

we are underway :)

Any news?

Not that I'm really, really looking to get started! :rolleyes: :)

able
08-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm atm looking at installing the test machine on Monday, yes that is a bank-holiday here, but I need to finish a wiring job first then on to data-center to install the server and perhaps update the pd server as well.

DisplacedKnick
08-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Those of you in the KL, and those 4 listed as possible expansion owners, should be getting an e-mail from me this afternoon.

Jose Slaughter
09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Able

Will I need to put together a league schedule or will that be part of what you're working on?

able
09-04-2006, 07:13 PM
schedule will probably be incorporated, but will let you know tomorrow as in updates expected then

also you have received an email concerning trfbl, if you want i can set something similar up for abapacers (in fact i own that domain anyway :D )

Jose Slaughter
09-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Re trfbl:

For those not in the know, that is another league on the same site that Able & I were in.

I havn't received any e-mails about that league. Some are posting on the alternate site but it appears that most, including the commish, are bailing on the league.

Jose Slaughter
09-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Able

Any updates for us?

able
09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
as soon as there are I will report them, i am running after msyelf atm to keep up (see board sticky)