PDA

View Full Version : How Motivated Will Coach Carlisle Be This Season?

Bball
08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
With the talk of the team going in another direction offensively, and the same core still together, how motivated will Carlisle be to coach a new system?

This sounds to me like the biggest recipe for trouble of all. How long can he stay motivated with Sjax whining to the refs and throwing temper tantrums, Tinsley injured/sick/pouting/playing little head games/etc, and JO ready to slog it out inside (on the offensive end) but unwilling to do 'the little things (fundamentals like blocking out, etc).

No contract past this season... It seems from the outside looking in that he's being forced out of his comfort zone.

And just how much would Al change any of the above? On one hand I could see him immediately being 'accepted' into the core... but then I think about Sjax and wonder if Al would be as accepted by him (if it adversely affected his role or position on the team). Are these a group of guys ready to go to war for Coach Carlisle?

Or are they more apt to go to war with him?

-Bball

OTD
08-02-2006, 10:10 PM
She should take lessons from Pop in SA

When Jack did start going after officials while in SA, Pop was pretty quick with a hook and not afraid to bring whichever of Manu or Bowen was not on the floor already. Having that sort of wing rotation makes it a bit easier for a coach to be a hardass about distractions

Having Duncan and Robinson probably tamped him down a bit, too. The team culture was a bit different. Having Artest around hurt, and Jermaine O'Neal isn't a strong enough personality to keep him under wraps.

That should line things up real quick

OTD
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
She should be He

SoupIsGood
08-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Motivated enough to pull in another COY award.... followed soon by a world title, cementing his forseeably long career in Indy :happydanc

beast23
08-02-2006, 10:14 PM
In one of the STAR articles last week, Walsh stated that they would negotiate with Rick after all the summer dealings were over. I believe the implication was that he would be extended.

Sorry, no link. And I'm too lazy to look it up. But at any rate, it appears Rick will not be a "lame duck" for long.

Frank Slade
08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
In one of the STAR articles last week, Walsh stated that they would negotiate with Rick after all the summer dealings were over. I believe the implication was that he would be extended.

Sorry, no link. And I'm too lazy to look it up. But at any rate, it appears Rick will not be a "lame duck" for long.

Yes Walsh said he did not believe in a lame duck coach situation.

I still have to feel that TPTB are in some respects biding thier time , just in case something or someone else comes along.

Unclebuck
08-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Walsh said that in one of the Boston newspapers.

here is the link. Third article.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22983

Kaufman
08-02-2006, 11:27 PM
RC will have to be motivated - after all, his reputation is on the line.

You find that reputation is a huge motivator in these types of situations.

Fireball Kid
08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Motivated enough to pull in another COY award.... followed soon by a world title, cementing his forseeably long career in Indy :happydanc

Oh dear........

SoupIsGood
08-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Oh dear........

I smell a Mavs fan :tongue:

Fireball Kid
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
:devil::evil::devil::evil:

Bball
08-03-2006, 12:34 AM
RC will have to be motivated - after all, his reputation is on the line.

You find that reputation is a huge motivator in these types of situations.

I thought about that but then this team has had to put him thru the wringer these past couple of seasons. And apparently even during our banner 61 win season Carlisle was dealing with some hassles beyond what he probably expected. Of course winning helps smooth those things. But then there's been a serious down tick.

There's only so much you can take. Particularly being right in the middle of the situation. And maybe without all that much management support.

So, I'm thinking burn out has to be a factor at some point. Regardless of how much he tells himself and the world he's recharged and ready to charge up the hill again, I wonder if he's really ready for any adversity or the ups and downs of young players and rebuilding the team surrounding the existing core. Or will that quickly zap him and leave him in zombie mode, just wanting the season to end?

But Soup could be right and this could be indeed Rick's championship year and beginning of the Carlisle/Pacers dynasty. :sunshine:

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
08-03-2006, 02:10 AM
I don't get why fans hate Rick or see him as limited. You look at the cards dealt him from when he missed a chance to get a HC gig for 00-01 because he was nice enough to wait on DW to see if Isiah could pry himself out of his CBA legal issues (ie, bankrupting the league). He sat a year and then picked up on a non-playoff Pistons team, took them to the division title with guys like Stackhouse and Cliff Robinson as his main players, then did it again with (at the time) non-stars like Billups and Rip, and went to the ECF with that group.

That got the already COY winner fired. :rolleyes:

Then he took a 48 win team to 61 wins, tied the mark for division wins to start a career, and dropped Artest from something like 12-13 games suspended to 2 for the whole year (and 1 was the lame Boston "leaving the bench"), turning Ron into the DPOY and an all-star.

Followed that up by taking a team that played Haislip and Johnsen and Fowlkes and Curry at points in the season to the 2nd round (the 4th year in a row for him).

And then "only" got last year's train wreck up 2-1 vs NJ before his #2 player decided to cop a squat for the rest of the series.

Did I miss the part where he wasn't motivated before? Or where he failed to make winners from a different core roster every season?

I will agree BBall that burn out from his side of it could set in. You could see the strain on him last year. At this point just having a regular lineup for 45 games would be a miracle, and only having to shuffle it around to 6-7 variations would be like being handed the 87 Lakers. :D

I worry that it could go sour again, he quits (or is booted) and it gets a lot worse when a weaker coach comes in. There are more Bob Hills out there than Rick Carlisles. That's why guys like Hubie Brown are so strongly sought after long after they've retired, and why a guy like Tim Floyd can get more than one shot with an NBA team.

avoidingtheclowns
08-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't get why fans hate Rick or see him as limited. You look at the cards dealt him from when he missed a chance to get a HC gig for 00-01 because he was nice enough to wait on DW to see if Isiah could pry himself out of his CBA legal issues (ie, bankrupting the league). He sat a year and then picked up on a non-playoff Pistons team, took them to the division title with guys like Stackhouse and Cliff Robinson as his main players, then did it again with (at the time) non-stars like Billups and Rip, and went to the ECF with that group.

Then he took a 48 win team to 61 wins, tied the mark for division wins to start a career, and dropped Artest from something like 12-13 games suspended to 2 for the whole year (and 1 was the lame Boston "leaving the bench"), turning Ron into the DPOY and an all-star.

Followed that up by taking a team that played Haislip and Johnsen and Fowlkes and Curry at points in the season to the 2nd round (the 4th year in a row for him).

And then "only" got last year's train wreck up 2-1 vs NJ before his #2 player decided to cop a squat for the rest of the series.

Did I miss the part where he wasn't motivated before? Or where he failed to make winners from a different core roster every season?

I will agree BBall that burn out from his side of it could set in. You could see the strain on him last year. At this point just having a regular lineup for 45 games would be a miracle, and only having to shuffle it around to 6-7 variations would be like being handed the 87 Lakers. :D

I worry that it could go sour again, he quits (or is booted) and it gets a lot worse when a weaker coach comes in. There are more Bob Hills out there than Rick Carlisles. That's why guys like Hubie Brown are so strongly sought after long after they've retired, and why a guy like Tim Floyd can get more than one shot with an NBA team.

thank you.

i've never understood how much criticism Rick gets. but i also don't understand the fact that hours after Kelvin Sampson was hired there was a "FIRE KELVIN SAMPSON" website up and complaining and the same people who for 5 years screamed for Mike Davis to be fired shouted "Now we wish Davis was back!!!!!" before Kelvin has coached a game.

rick is a great coach that has faced ridiculous heaps of adversity from injuries and suspensions... he's a major part of why the pacers have been in the playoffs the last two years.

cariocapacer
08-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Why do people seem to take for granted that players are extra motivated in contract walk years yet this wouldn´t apply equally to a coach. I see know reason to give Carlyle an extension and don´t think it will affect his performance negatively or the teams.

DisplacedKnick
08-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Now that the Ron Artest shadow is finally gone from the team I expect you'll see Rick become more of a disciplinarian. He was his first season. Then it all blew up.

How the players respond is the key. I think JO will welcome it and the youngsters need it.

rexnom
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM

Wow. You totally just convinced me. I have full faith in Rick now.

Jon Theodore
08-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Everyone seems to forget Jackson wants to win more than anybody on this team, besides maybe Runi.

Jackson is the ultimate teammate, clearly to a fault. I had the same question about him meshing with Peja and I DISTINCTLY remember Sjack passing to Peja more often that he would normally pass to any other player. Stephen Jackson and Harrington will get along fine.

I don't think Sjack will mind coming off the bench, as long as we are winning he will be cool. He is too emotional we all know that, but it's not fair to question how he will approach a new teammate. It is clear to me that Sjack will embrace AL.

Naptown_Seth
08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Why do people seem to take for granted that players are extra motivated in contract walk years yet this wouldn´t apply equally to a coach. I see know reason to give Carlyle an extension and don´t think it will affect his performance negatively or the teams.
True, but on the other hand after the last 2 seasons it could be just as likely that he doesn't even want to deal with some of the crap anymore.

My point was of course that he has never failed to be motivated anyway, so there is no room to get motivated. By most accounts he has overachieved with the AVAILABLE talent, which is exactly why he was a top 5 COY guy his first 4 seasons...btw, he has NEVER finished lower than Larry Brown in COY voting.

COY isn't by fanboys either, it's voted on by sports journalists.

The second Rick comes out with healthy players of quality talent and fails to win, I'll jump right in with the questions about his ability, at least within the current situation. But until I see Phil Jackson winning more than Rick without 2 stars playing the full season (ie, never happened) I won't be ripping Rick for similar results.

Can you imagine if the Pacers just had Kobe all year instead of JO half the season? Wouldn't you expect them to be better? Or just better if JO played all year?

So what's Phil's excuse...guess he needs to be fired since he sucks. I mean "settling" for the playoffs when Kobe was there all year, as well as Odom and when their only major loss to injury was Mihm for 20 games. After the last 2 seasons this kind of health (and lack of Ron disruptions) seems like dream expectations.

Rexnom, I couldn't tell if you were serious or sarcastic. I hope it wasn't sarcasm but rather that I made a decent set of points. :)

Bball
08-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Everyone seems to forget Jackson wants to win more than anybody on this team, besides maybe Runi.

Jackson is the ultimate teammate, clearly to a fault. I had the same question about him meshing with Peja and I DISTINCTLY remember Sjack passing to Peja more often that he would normally pass to any other player. Stephen Jackson and Harrington will get along fine.

I don't think Sjack will mind coming off the bench, as long as we are winning he will be cool. He is too emotional we all know that, but it's not fair to question how he will approach a new teammate. It is clear to me that Sjack will embrace AL.

Peja wouldn't swallow the ball when he got it and nearly always took good shots (and he hit a high percentage) when he did keep it for a shot. Will Al do that? That's the $64,000.00 question.... or 7.6 million dollar question.

-Bball

Destined4Greatness
08-04-2006, 08:17 PM

QFT

Bball
08-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Peja wouldn't swallow the ball when he got it and nearly always took good shots (and he hit a high percentage) when he did keep it for a shot. Will Al do that? That's the $64,000.00 question.... or 7.6 million dollar question.

-Bball

I didn't really put a period on my point here. My point was that unselfish play breeds more unselfish play. Meanwhile, selfish play breeds more selfish play. It doesn't matter if the initial seemingly selfish play is by the coach's design or not. And the less mature the team is, the worse it's going to be.

-Bball