PDA

View Full Version : "the new style of offense"

Putnam
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
There continues to be a lot of references from insiders and quasi-insiders (most recently Mark Montieth) about how the roster changes will lead to a "new style of offense."

Apart from the word "faster" we haven't been given much detail about that new offense, and there has been a lot of skepticism here on PD about the extent of the change.

This poll asks, How would you characterize the offense that you expect the Pacers to run?

If the brief descriptions are inadequate, please elaborate.

Kegboy
08-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I have no idea.

I'm interested in seeing what Rick comes up with, because most running offenses aren't going to play to JO's strengths and weaknesses, regardless of how slim he gets. You could see a Princeton like what NJ ran with Kenyon. JO's passing has improved, but I still don't think it's good enough for a Princeton.

If Jack is still around, I think we'll be running some Hawk stuff, like we did after JO went down. If it's Daniels, more 4-out like Jay's been trumpeting.

Regardless, there's a difference between what we run and how we run it. It's all going to come down to if Rick lets them run, and really should he. He gave them some rope the beginning of last year, and they hung themselves by playing horrible D. Yes, we've gotten more athletic and more defensively minded, but were Ron, Cro, AJ and Fred the reasons why we were giving up a 100 per?

redwillow
08-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Perhaps we will have 2 distinct line ups. A more half court oriented squad starring Jermaine and a faster squad for pushing the tempo. I hope to god it's not just more slogball. Hehe "slogball"

Hicks
08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Faster in the half-court (more passing/movement). Until we go on a losing streak.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
08-02-2006, 06:35 PM
i say 50 half court 50 on fast breaking make it better for team if falls to same old system we see more L THAN W

haloguy
08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
I dont expect a full transition in the first year

BlueNGold
08-02-2006, 07:24 PM
50/50 to .500

Bball
08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
As long as this core stays together (and I include Carlisle as part of the core) you can cue The Who:
Meet the new boss.... same as the old boss....

SoupIsGood
08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
An aggresive offense that runs when needed. But not an offense that purposefully walks it up every time or only throws it to JO and watches him go.

Roaming Gnome
08-02-2006, 08:44 PM
As long as this core stays together (and I include Carlisle as part of the core) you can cue The Who:
Meet the new boss.... same as the old boss....

A leopard never changes his spots...
A Zebra never changes his stripes...
You can't teach an old dog, new tricks...
ect, ect...

I'll be willing to eat crow if and when the time comes, but I get the feeling that I will not be dining on any fowl other then chicken!

I hope I'm wrong!

Believe_in_blue
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I wont believe its different until I see its different.

MagicRat
08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I can't access my online Rick Carlisle Show archive at the moment, but I can recall a mention of an offense he termed "Run, Pass and Haul A**". That's what I'll be looking for...........:woot2:

beast23
08-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I believe the Pacers will push the ball on every possession. If the easy basket is not there off the break, they will work the ball until they can get a quality shot, whether it is 10 seconds into the possession or uses the entire 24 seconds.

SoupIsGood
08-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I can't access my online Rick Carlisle Show archive at the moment, but I can recall a mention of an offense he termed "Run, Pass and Haul A**". That's what I'll be looking for...........:woot2:

:woot2: I like the sound of that! And also what beast said!

pizza guy
08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I expect more passing in the half-court. A little more transition. And even worse offensive rebounding...

avoidingtheclowns
08-03-2006, 04:29 AM
if we can get the faster-style going, the offense could be better than the suns. while the suns can shoot the lights off (which we certainly won't do that with any consistancy with the current lineup) when they are forced to play halfcourt they typically struggle. if we can learn to run-n-gun (or the more appropriately titled "run, pass, haul ***") along with the ability to run a solid halfcourt offense (obviously rick's strength) it could be potent (maybe?).

it'd be interesting for them to try a princeton-style offense (ala Kegboy's suggestion) i'm not sure how successful it'd be but i'd give it as good of a chance as anything else.

Eindar
08-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I hope our offense/defense resembles the Showtime Lakers. On defense, dare players to take shots slightly out of their range, which leads to long rebounds, which leads to fast breaks on offense.

grace
08-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I have no flippin' idea. It all looks like basketball to me.

Speed
08-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I think it will be as simple as letting the Point guard run the team, not looking over at Carlise to call the play. I think Tinsley got to the point that he would (passive agressively) completely stop and ask the coach what to run. This is Carlise fault of course, but I think thats over, he'll call some out of bounds plays and end of quarter/end of game plays out of a time out, but if he lets the team be in charge for good or ill, they get better and feel better and play better. Its like when you feel like you're part of the decision making process at work, then you care more, then you perform better. Thats my thoughts on the psychology of it. If you give them control they will push the ball, because it is alot more fun and a lot more meaningful to them. Plus its way harder to guard because its unpredictible.

This is the first step to trusting EACH OTHER and having that all elusive chemistry.

Kegboy
08-03-2006, 01:27 PM
I expect more passing in the half-court. A little more transition. And even worse offensive rebounding...

:laugh: :(

naptown
08-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I think Bird is pushing for a offense much akin to what Boston ran in his playing days. Push the ball hard when the opportunity is there and lots of ball and player movement when the opportunity is not there to run.

I think we are going to see MUCH LESS isolation plays in the half court and not nearly as much standing around and watching two guys try to do everything.

Bball
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I think Bird is pushing for a offense much akin to what Boston ran in his playing days. Push the ball hard when the opportunity is there and lots of ball and player movement when the opportunity is not there to run.

I think we are going to see MUCH LESS isolation plays in the half court and not nearly as much standing around and watching two guys try to do everything.

Assuming the team is smart enough to do it, selfless enough to do it, and motivated to do it.... I'm all for it. :amen:

-Bball