PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Digest Vote: #14 Shooting Guard

Hicks
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
The goal of this project is to determine the general consensus on Pacers Digest of who the best players are at each position in the NBA: Center, Power Forward, Small Forward, Shooting Guard, and Point Guard.

However, do not worry about the positions. I have tried to put everyone at their proper position, but what I am trying to do here is vote for the best overall player, at the position I happened to put them. The objective of each poll is to determine the best player listed, not the best pure positional player.

This thread is to vote for the best remaining shooting guard in the NBA. You have 24 hours from the time this thread is posted to vote!

Once each position has 30 players ranked, the project will end, and a final tally will be posted in a new thread.

The top shooting guards so far, as voted by Pacers Digest members, are:

#1 Kobe Bryant
#2 Dwyane Wade
#3 Paul Pierce
#4 Ray Allen
#5 Vince Carter
#6 Manu Ginobili
#7 Richard Hamilton
#8 Michael Redd
#9 Joe Johnson
#10 Jason Richardson
#11 Ben Gordon
#12 Corey Maggette
#13 Larry Hughes

Today's nominees* for best shooting guard remaining are:

Raja Bell
Caron Butler
Ricky Davis
Andre Iguodala
Stephen Jackson
Desmond Mason
Mike Miller
Cuttino Mobley
Morris Peterson
Jerry Stackhouse
Hedo Turkoglu
Bonzi Wells

* I can't please everyone with the position I put certain guys, so the way I see it is this:

If I've made such a colossal mistake, it can easily be corrected by you, the voter. How? I will always have "Other" as an option. All you have to do is vote for it, and state for the record in a reply which player you thought deserved the vote. If the majority of people do this, then that player will still win this poll. It just takes a little more effort then two clicks of the mouse. But if you're too lazy to do that, then you have no right to whine about it later. :-p

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Been voting Butler since 9

317Kim
08-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I'll be voting for Caron too.

Jay Ohh
08-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Bonzi is getting robbed.

birdman
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
What's everyone's obsession with Butler? I like him, but Bonzi is obviously the better player.

rexnom
08-01-2006, 04:28 PM
What's everyone's obsession with Butler? I like him, but Bonzi is obviously the better player.
Caron Butler
Regular Season
17.6 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.69 SPG, .24 BPG
Playoffs
18.5 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 2.7 APG, 2.00 SPG, .67 BPG...while guarding LeBron part-time

Bonzi Wells
Regular Season
13.6 PPG, 7.70 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.81 SPG, .48 BPG
Playoffs
23.2 PPG, 12.0 RPG, 1.3 APG, .83 SPG, .33 BPG

Sorry if I don't think six games make Bonzi obviously better than Caron. I think it's just a matter of preference.

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 04:40 PM
And Bonzi was in a contract year. Butler signed a 6 year extension - not really playin for a big paycheck.

JayRedd
08-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Been voting Butler since 9

Sold

Jay Ohh
08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Bonzi's the better rebounder, defender and post player. Better scorer when he wants to be. Put him on a team with crappy scorers like Washington, and he gets the same points if not better. He's been more clutch from what I've seen. He had two game winners in the regular season off the top of my head, even with all the missed games from injury. Him being better in the playoffs taking apart the Spurs is just a plus.

Bonzi also played about four minutes less but still rebounded a lot better, shot better, and averaged slightly better SPG, BPG, APG.

He's way better. People need to get over Bonzi's past and look at him as a player.

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
LMAO at "on a team with crappy scorers like Washington"

You mean the team with the 4th highest scorer in the NBA (who was also the leading scorer per game in the playoffs) and a post player who averaged 20+ points a game? The team who has had the leading trio of scorers in the NBA for the last two years? Crappiest scoring team ever. What kinda team averages 102 ppg in the playoffs and 100 in the regular season? A crappy shooting team obviously.

Jay Ohh
08-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Learn to read before typing. Just a thought. I said crappy scorers, not a crappy scoring team. Outside of Arenas and Jamison, who else do you have? Butler, That's it. Your scorers are weak. You need a third option, and Caron is the obvious coice when the rest of your team is full of scrubs. Stop living in denial.

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Thats right I forgot - the Kings are filled with scorers. Theres Bibby who averaged 21 a game and then theres....no he's crazy - can't be trusted and can barely hit a FT. Well there is Shar....no he only put up 12 a game. What about the savior center of the P's thats now a King he's always good for WHAT?? only 15?? Thats solid :shrug:

Yea you really got me there.

Jay Ohh
08-01-2006, 11:35 PM
All of which are better than the bums on your team can do. 15 is great for a center. 12 is pretty decent for SAR after splitting minutes with Kenny Thomas, coming off the bench, and having his jaw smashed, but you just happened to leave that out.

There are 7 scorers on Sacramento better than your fourth option meaning their scorers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your scorers.

the homerism is getting sad, really.

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Kings leading scorers and MPG

Bibby - 21 ppg 39 mpg
Artest - 17 ppg 40 mpg
Miller - 15 ppg 37 mpg
Bonzi - 14 ppg 32 mpg
SAR - 12 ppg 27 mpg

Wizards leading scorers and MPG

Arenas - 30 ppg 42 mpg
Jamison - 21 ppg 40 mpg
Bulter - 18 ppg 36 mpg
Haywood - 7 ppg 24 mpg
Jeffries - 6 ppg 25 mpg

What does that mean?

Wizards had better production form their starting 5 (even while playing less mpg) and they also shot better from the field and from behind the arc.

Jay Ohh
08-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Your point being?

Due to Arenas chucking they had better all around scoring from the starters. When you have someone like him dominating the shots and scoring, the starters scoring goes up even if they're total scrubs. (say like your team) See Kobe for example. His team might have better offensive production with him in the lineup than a team with better scorers. You've got three legitimate scorers.

Kings had five guys that could light it up on any given night. Six if you count Martin. You have three. That's reality. You're just too much of a homer to accept it, so you bring up irrelevant stats. All they do is show that Arenas, Butler and Jamison are good scorers. The other two bums don't even deserve mention. You've got three good scorers, and the Kings have more.

Robertmto
08-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Arenas Chucking?? He shot 150 more shots than Artest and scored 800 more points. Sounds like quality shots to me. And by the way - the Wiz and Kings bench both scored about 20 ppg - pretty good for a bunch of scrubs compared to a team filled with good shooters.

Jay Ohh
08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
It's just too bad that the Kings scorers are actually legitimate. Bibby,Miller,SAR,Bonzi,Artest,Thomas,Martin are all better than Daniels, your fourth highest scorer who averaged what, 9 a game? You have three guys averaging double figures. Kings have 6, almost 7. The only reason the bench production is so close is because Adelman hardly used his. He used Kevin Martin and Kenny Thomas consistently, that's it.

Any of this sinking in? Your team is three guys surrounded by bums, who can't even score in double figures on a supposed "running" team.

Robertmto
08-02-2006, 12:47 AM
If SAR, Miller, Artest, Bibby and Thomas are legitimate why did their number fall during the playoffs? Oh yeah because Bonzi was a black hole playing for a contract. Don;t get me wrong his showing in the Spus series was amazing - but not really the "team ball" kinda show I would want from my team.

Jay Ohh
08-02-2006, 01:33 AM
LMFAO

How the **** can you be a black hole when you only take 14 shots a game? Look, I know this is a hard concept for you to grasp, but facts can actually be useful every once in awhile. If Bonzi's a black hole then what's that choke artist Arenas? He took 23 shots a game. Or how about Caron Bumler? He took 16 and averaged less points.

Wow. The ignorance is amazing.

ajbry
08-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Jack > Butler > Bonzi.

Robertmto
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
The voters have spoken.

:buddies: