PDA

View Full Version : Stromile Swift

AnotherBirdCreation
08-01-2006, 03:04 AM
http://www.yaomingfanclub.com/images/gallery/05_07_23_swift_dunk_on_01_17a.jpg

I read this over on FoxSports. Stromile Swift, who the Grizz kinda screwed over in the past, at least in his eyes, was traded by Houston back to Memphis and doesn't want to go back. I don't blame him. I've been to Memphis. Here is part of the piece. I think he wouuld fit in perfectly with what we are trying to do and that Memphis would likely take on Jack to rid themselves of Swift. If that's the case, bring him on. I like Swift's game.

Swift, however, is a different story. They let him go to Houston as a free agent in the first place because they didn't want to pay him the more than $8 million a year that he was looking for. Ironically, he only got the mid-level exception, so they are paying him $5.4 million. That's all good. The bad news is he doesn't want to go back to Memphis. He was happy to leave and wanted to make Houston his home. Consequently, he has yet to return one phone call to the Grizzlies since the deal, and they've dealt with his moods before. It may not be long before he's on the move again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5832582

Moses
08-01-2006, 03:22 AM
I'd take Swift for Jack.

Hell, I'd give Jack away.

Eindar
08-01-2006, 04:46 AM
I guess the better question is, what would we have to give, in addition to Jax, for Swift and Mike Miller? Would anyone be mad if it was Foster or Harrison?

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Stephen Jackson
6-8 SG from Oak Hill Academy (HS)
16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.8 apg in 35.9 minutes

Jeff Foster
6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
5.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.1 minutes
Incoming

Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida
13.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.7 apg in 30.6 minutes

Stromile Swift
6-9 PF from Louisiana State
8.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 20.4 minutes
Change in team outlook: +0.3 ppg, -3.2 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida

Stromile Swift
Incoming

Stephen Jackson

Jeff Foster
Change in team outlook: -0.3 ppg, +3.2 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Indiana and Memphis being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Memphis had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
----

Anyone?

aero
08-01-2006, 05:02 AM
SJax & Harrison and maybe a 2nd rounder

we get Swift and Mike Miller

...now that right there is a trade id take in a heart beat...not sure if the numbers would match up though

Kstat
08-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Swift is horrible. Please, trade for him.

This is the same guy that jeff van gundy asked to demand a trade....

AnotherBirdCreation
08-01-2006, 05:30 AM
I guess the better question is, what would we have to give, in addition to Jax, for Swift and Mike Miller? Would anyone be mad if it was Foster or Harrison?

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Stephen Jackson

Jeff Foster
Incoming

Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida

Stromile Swift

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida

Stromile Swift
Incoming

Stephen Jackson

Jeff Foster

Successful Scenario
Due to Indiana and Memphis being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Memphis had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
----

Anyone?

Thought of this after I posted. I'd definitely do this one.

Mourning
08-01-2006, 05:55 AM
I don't want Swift. He seems like an "ok"-person, but his basketball IQ is TOTALLY absent.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Eindar
08-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Swift is horrible. Please, trade for him.

This is the same guy that jeff van gundy asked to demand a trade....

Well, in terms of stats, it's a wash for us if we're also giving up Jax for Mike Miller. Do you know anything in terms of him being a bad locker room guy, or are you just saying he's a scrub?

I think we've identified that we need someone at the SG position that shoots better than Jax. The fact that Miller rebounds better and turns it over half as much is a bonus. I have no idea how Miller is defensively, however.

I think we've also identified that we don't have many pieces left to trade in order to secure said shooter, and that Jax is going to be packaged with someone if that deal is getting done. Foster or Harrison are the obvious choices, and Harrison's rookie deal combined with his potential make him harder to trade. This also means we'd have to take back a big in return.

Given the Grizzlies roster, that means either Swift or Tsakalidis, or perhaps both? For the Grizz, it's a chance to get a guy in Foster that will bang inside for rebounds, taking some pressure off Gasol. One thing they really seem to lack is a rebounder, and Jeff would give them that. Giving up Swift, who doesn't want to be there, is a coup. The only problem I see is that you'd have to ask yourself is, can Swift play any Center. If not, I'd be pushing for Tsakalidis as well, even if it meant giving up Harrison, who I personally don't think will ever amount to anything, but I also realize he's got good trade value.

AnotherBirdCreation
08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, in terms of stats, it's a wash for us if we're also giving up Jax for Mike Miller. Do you know anything in terms of him being a bad locker room guy, or are you just saying he's a scrub?

I think we've identified that we need someone at the SG position that shoots better than Jax. The fact that Miller rebounds better and turns it over half as much is a bonus. I have no idea how Miller is defensively, however.

I think we've also identified that we don't have many pieces left to trade in order to secure said shooter, and that Jax is going to be packaged with someone if that deal is getting done. Foster or Harrison are the obvious choices, and Harrison's rookie deal combined with his potential make him harder to trade. This also means we'd have to take back a big in return.

Given the Grizzlies roster, that means either Swift or Tsakalidis, or perhaps both? For the Grizz, it's a chance to get a guy in Foster that will bang inside for rebounds, taking some pressure off Gasol. One thing they really seem to lack is a rebounder, and Jeff would give them that. Giving up Swift, who doesn't want to be there, is a coup. The only problem I see is that you'd have to ask yourself is, can Swift play any Center. If not, I'd be pushing for Tsakalidis as well, even if it meant giving up Harrison, who I personally don't think will ever amount to anything, but I also realize he's got good trade value.

Swift can definitely play some Center for us. He's about 6'10" and long. I think Foster is perfect for the Grizz, that's why I brought this up in the first place. I love this deal for us if we could pull it off. With us taking Swift and giving up both Foster and Jackson, it isn't far-fetched at all to me.

1 - Tinsley/Saras/Daniels/Armstrong/Greene
2 - Miller/Daniels/White
3 - Granger/Harrington/Daniels/Miller/Williams
4 - Harrington/O'Neal/Swift/Baston
5 - O'Neal/Harrison/Swift

Looks pretty good to me.

LG33
08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Has it been too long without a Miller on the team? I don't really want to give up one of our boys (Foster or Harrison), but if I had to choose I dunno. It's a good idea if we could also manage to finagle a draft pick too (preferably 2nd rounder for next year). I'm a fan of Mike Miller, but losing Foster or Harrison in addition to Jackson (and getting Stromile in return) doesn't appeal to me. Is there any other way we could get this deal through?

Miller+Stromile for Jackson, Powell, Draft Pick, Cash, Pat on the Back

AnotherBirdCreation
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Has it been too long without a Miller on the team? I don't really want to give up one of our boys (Foster or Harrison), but if I had to choose I dunno. It's a good idea if we could also manage to finagle a draft pick too (preferably 2nd rounder for next year). I'm a fan of Mike Miller, but losing Foster or Harrison in addition to Jackson (and getting Stromile in return) doesn't appeal to me. Is there any other way we could get this deal through?

Miller+Stromile for Jackson, Powell, Draft Pick, Cash, Pat on the Back

There is no way. Part of the attractiveness of the trade is that we take on their problem child, and they take on our's. However, they would only listen if we offered the enforcer that they so desperately need beside Pau--Foster. They would have no problem shipping us Miller in that case, because with Gay, Warrick, Jackson, Eddie Jones, and Kyle Lowry all in the fold, Miller would be expendable. But Miller is a good player, and to get a somewhat valuable asset, we would have to part with one as well. I still will go on record and say that I love this deal for us. Does anybody have Donnie's cell? Larry's, maybe?

LG33
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I have Larry's but its been off all day...

Slick Pinkham
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Isn't it hoped that Maceo Baston = a thinner Swift with a way way higher work ethic?

SoupIsGood
08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Swift is pretty stinky. I like Mike Miller, though.

CableKC
08-01-2006, 12:32 PM
If we had to make a more lateral move with Foster...as in getting someone that can rebound, play PF/C, and block shots.....but has a lower basketball IQ...and probably plays a little less defense.....I wouldn't mind getting Swift....cuz their salaries are somewhat comprable.

As to a Mike Miller for SJax......that's a no-brainer for me. He probably has lesser defensive skills.....but I feel that we have enough players to complement him that he won't be a defensive liability.

Anthem
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
I still can't figure out how Daniels fits into the equation. Do TPTB see him as a 2? A 3? A 1? A starter? A bench player?

SoupIsGood
08-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I still can't figure out how Daniels fits into the equation. Do TPTB see him as a 2? A 3? A 1? A starter? A bench player?

:)

Anthem
08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
:)
If you start Daniels at the 2, are you bringing Mike Miller off the bench?

I still think that Daniels/Saras is a good combo, and Daniels/Tinsley kind of scares me. M.Miller/Tinsley could be a good combo. But then you're running a 4-guard rotation, which isn't ideal.

rel
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
i'd be willing to take Swift if it meant getting mike miller

J_2_Da_IzzO
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM

I still think that Daniels/Saras is a good combo, and Daniels/Tinsley kind of scares me. M.Miller/Tinsley could be a good combo. But then you're running a 4-guard rotation, which isn't ideal.

What about a Saras/Daniels, Daniels/Miller and Saras/Miller rotation?? (Assuming Tinsley follows the trend of past seasons and falls to injury)

CableKC
08-01-2006, 01:56 PM
i'd be willing to take Swift if it meant getting mike miller

Exactly.....:signit:

CableKC
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
What about a Saras/Daniels, Daniels/Miller and Saras/Miller rotation?? (Assuming Tinsley follows the trend of past seasons and falls to injury)

Any move from SJax to Miller is to exhange a scorer for a shooter as both are better 3rd scoring / 6th Man options.

It wouldn't make any real difference as Tinsley and Sarunas would still split the PG duties and we would still have a 30-32 mpg SG/SF rotation of Mike/Marquis/Granger.

If we truly want a huge change in the roster......I doubt it would really happen....but I could tolerate a roster of:

PG - Tinsley/Sarunas
SG - Marquis
SF - Granger
PF - Harrington
C - JONeal

being backed up by:

PG - Sarunas
SG / SF - Mike
PF - Stro
C - Harrison

We would be far more athletic....but would have not have as much "size" in the frontcourt.

SoupIsGood
08-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Well I don't think we'll really get Miller.

If we really did get him though, I'd be willing to try Daniels at the 1. Daniels/Miller/Granger could possibly work. But there's a good chance not. If it doesn't, I'd make one of either Miller or Daniels our 6th man. I'd rather start Daniels, because I think starting him and just letting him play his game would give him that confidence boost he needs to break out as a player.... :shrug:

Diesel_81
08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Personally I think if we have any intention of playing Daniels at the pg spot then we need another guard who can handle the ball and Mike Miller can do that. He's unselfish, he's the type of shooter that were looking for and he's a perfect 3rd or 4th option. Unlike Jackson he shoots a high percentage and he doesn't need a ton of shots making him a perfect fit for this team.

Personally I would rather have a true pg running this team but at this point in the game were not going to get in one in trade and who knows with Tinsley whats going to happen. If Mike Miller is available I think we should make every effort to go out and get him. If Tinsley plays well and stays healthy then we have a good problem on our hands.We could move either Daniels or Miller to the bench and one of them will provide instant offense for us. If Tinsley Faulters then we start Daniels/Miller backcourt and we bring Saras off the bench. Getting Miller will at the very least make things interesting in terms of the different types of lineups we can put out there.

Jay Ohh
08-01-2006, 02:58 PM
**** no. He makes Jack look like a genius when it comes to basketball IQ. Plus, we already have about 8 athletic big men that can do exactly what he can. There's no need for him at all.

JayRedd
08-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Stephen Jackson

Jeff Foster
Incoming

Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida

Stromile Swift

Memphis Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Mike Miller
6-8 SG from Florida

Stromile Swift
Incoming

Stephen Jackson

Jeff Foster

Successful Scenario
----

Anyone?

Just got a call from Jerry West saying that you're out of your mind.

Eindar
08-01-2006, 05:35 PM

Clarify, or you're a troll.

AnotherBirdCreation
08-01-2006, 05:41 PM

Why? Because Jerry West, like the rest of the league, would want Jeff Foster? And Mike Miller is now expendable with the addition of Gay. He won't get as much burn as he did last season.

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Why? Because Jerry West, like the rest of the league, would want Jeff Foster? And Mike Miller is now expendable with the addition of Gay. He won't get as much burn as he did last season.

Gay and Miller do nto make each other expendable. Miller is a jump shooter and 3 point shooter. Gay is there for rebonding, slashing and (if he feels like it) hustle.

Eindar
08-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Gay and Miller do nto make each other expendable. Miller is a jump shooter and 3 point shooter. Gay is there for rebonding, slashing and (if he feels like it) hustle.

They're both swing players, so they will be competing for minutes, regardless of their individual styles. Adding Jackson doesn't change that fact, but it does make them a little tougher, and gives them reasonable production in exchange for Miller, while also making a rather large upgrade going from Swift to Foster. Hell, just having Foster allows them to play Gasol more at 4, keeps Gasol from defending the best post player, and shores up their rebounding, which is in pretty sad shape, considering they don't have a 10rpg guy on their roster. Foster will help Gasol like he helped JO, except Gasol can shoot :)