PDA

View Full Version : Just how deep is this next draft?

SoupIsGood
07-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Well, since I'm in the thread-starting mood...

Several of our resident PD draft-lovers have been raving about this next draft, and I thought it deserved its own thread.

Just what makes this next draft so great? How does it look in term of top-end, 'superstar potential' talents? How deep does the 1st round as a whole look to run? For example - the talent in this year's draft dropped off big-time somewhere after the first ten picks. Where is that drop-off at in 2007?

Kaufman
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't honestly think we'll know how strong or not the draft is until college basketball season is at least 1/2 way through, if not into April --- you just don't know who's going to declare and how various seniors are going to fare through the season....

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Its very deep as far as big men go.

Oden, McRoberts, Noah, Gray, Horford, Splitter, Hansborough and many others.

Also pretty good with wing players.

Durant, Young, Wright, Mbah a Moute (love his name) Brewer and Green

I'm not so sure about guards however.

LG33
07-30-2006, 01:33 AM
All I know is that we better start rooting for the Knicks...the Bulls pretty much own their first rounder because of that brilliant Eddy Curry trade and I don't want them to get any better through the draft, no matter how deep it turns out...Damnit!

rexnom
07-30-2006, 01:48 AM
All I know is that we better start rooting for the Knicks...the Bulls pretty much own their first rounder because of that brilliant Eddy Curry trade and I don't want them to get any better through the draft, no matter how deep it turns out...Damnit!
Oh, I definitely agree with this. How the hell did the Bulls squeeze this deal out of the Knicks again?

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Oh, I definitely agree with this. How the hell did the Bulls squeeze this deal out of the Knicks again?

Zeke is an idiot -thats how

rexnom
07-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Zeke is an idiot -thats how
I don't think he is an idiot, he just has no foresight. They probably could have gotten the deal for just their pick and Sweetney since the Bulls really wanted no part of Curry and his heart anymore. Considering that everyone was saying even a summer ago how weak this draft was going to be, I think that that deal isn't very bad for the Knicks. But everyone was also saying even a summer ago that the 2007 draft was going to be STACKED. Even if your team is on the upswing, why would you even risk it? No foresight that's how.

Isiah Thomas is the Epimetheus to John Paxson's Prometheus. And yes, that makes Oden fire and Eddy Curry Pandora. I'll shut up now.

wintermute
07-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Its very deep as far as big men go.

Oden, McRoberts, Noah, Gray, Horford, Splitter, Hansborough and many others.

Also pretty good with wing players.

Durant, Young, Wright, Mbah a Moute (love his name) Brewer and Green

I'm not so sure about guards however.

yes, it's the prospective crop of big men which makes next year's draft special. noah, horford, and splitter are sure to declare because of their age. mcroberts is likely, oden is uncertain since he's consistently said he would stay in college for 4 years.

to add to those names, spencer hawes (7'0"), yi jianlian (7'0"), hasheem thabeet (7'2"), and ante tomic (7'2") may also declare.

the lottery level guards tend to emerge over the ncaa season, like kaufman says. lottery big men prospects tend to get tracked from much earlier though...

there are also rumblings that o.j. mayo and bill walker may challenge the nba age limit.

draftexpress has a nice article regarding prospects from the graduating high school class (oden's batchmates)

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1359

Hicks
07-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Does anyone think Oden will NOT enter the draft?

rexnom
07-30-2006, 02:32 AM
I doubt it. I think he will do what Carmelo did basically. He'll say the right things and he'll hold out til the last possible moment but in the end, he'll come out.

Brian
07-30-2006, 02:54 AM
What about this oj mayo kid?

croz24
07-30-2006, 02:56 AM
concerning the draft as a whole, kaufman's right, we really won't know until the season gets underway. however, as it looks now, you'll still see some top-end talent in the late lottery stages. i mean, draftexpress has dominic james going 19!!! and i truly believe james will end up as a chris paul type player.

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 03:26 AM

I honestly think Oden's stock (and play) will take a hit when he plays players that are on his level.

croz24
07-30-2006, 05:44 AM
I honestly think Oden's stock (and play) will take a hit when he plays players that are on his level.

you do realize that EVERY time oden played in aau tournaments, in all-star competitions, and hs games against highly ranked teams/bigs oden dominated. i'm tired of this 'until oden plays players on his own level' bs. what do you think aau is for??? were talking domination against guys like b. wright, hawes, the lopez twins, mcroberts, hansbrough, bynum, hendrix, love, koufos, randolph, etc etc etc, all of which are/were some of the best bigs in their respective classes. again, no, oden rarely competed against good competition in hs, but believe it or not, his aau stats versus the best were even better. can't even recall a tourney oden competed in in aau where he didn't win mvp honors.

owl
07-30-2006, 07:36 AM
With Oden you have a guy who has the physical talent along with the
drive to be a great player. If he can avoid the injury bug he should show
pretty strong by the end of the college season.

owl

Kaufman
07-30-2006, 08:32 AM
With little exception, big men who come out early/too early don't do well. I don't know if Oden will be an exception to this rule, a la Garnett or Amare in Phoenix. You will just have to see him play in college to make a better conclusion...

DisplacedKnick
07-30-2006, 09:03 AM
I don't think he is an idiot, he just has no foresight.

Technically he isn't an idiot - just when it comes to being a GM. I won't go into details. I have to get something done in a couple of hours once the grass dries. (No - not THAT kind of grass!)

James Dolan, however, IS an idiot.

DisplacedKnick
07-30-2006, 09:06 AM

Only if he just looks horrible.

I don't think that will happen but keep in mind that a ton of folks had Dan Gadzuric as the number one pro prospect coming out of HS his senior year.

avoidingtheclowns
07-30-2006, 09:19 AM
i figure oden will enter the draft, unless he has a bad year following the foot injury.

another person who will probably enter the draft is dj white from IU (i don't think he's been mentioned). if he can get back to his freshman year form he'll be a first round player, probably not lottery.

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 09:25 AM
you do realize that EVERY time oden played in aau tournaments, in all-star competitions, and hs games against highly ranked teams/bigs oden dominated. i'm tired of this 'until oden plays players on his own level' bs. what do you think aau is for??? were talking domination against guys like b. wright, hawes, the lopez twins, mcroberts, hansbrough, bynum, hendrix, love, koufos, randolph, etc etc etc, all of which are/were some of the best bigs in their respective classes. again, no, oden rarely competed against good competition in hs, but believe it or not, his aau stats versus the best were even better. can't even recall a tourney oden competed in in aau where he didn't win mvp honors.

The big game everyone like to talk about here is a Carmel vs. LN game from 2004 I believe or basically Josh vs. Greg. And everyone says Greg dominated. The big thing is Oden didn't even guard McRoberts that game. And also I only counted maybe 6 or 8 of Oden's points coming when MvRoberts guarded him. The rest were sloppy putbacks or shots against a smaller, slower player whose name I can't remember.

obnoxiousmodesty
07-30-2006, 10:15 AM

He's still in high school for one more year. He is rumored to play for USC in '07-08 for what will surely be his only year of collegiate basketball.

rexnom
07-30-2006, 10:27 AM
EJ in 08 baby. That's all I'm saying.

grace
07-30-2006, 11:26 AM

Evenually he will. I'm just on convinced it will be after his freshman year. Matt Leinart stayed four years. Why can't Oden?

Kegboy
07-30-2006, 11:49 AM

Like Gordon, he's '08.

Oden has always given me the impression he's sincere about being serious about college. I have a hard time believing he'll stay 4 years, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he stayed more than 1.

ESPN has what appears to be a ton of stuff at the below site. Problem is, it's all Insider'd. *******s.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/index

Too give you an idea of how deep next year's draft could be, Noah without question would have been the #1 pick this year. He was lightyears ahead of everybody else. Next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't crack the top 5, and he could fall even further a la Leinhart.

aceace
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
According to the Bloomington newspaper DJ White is having a monster summer. Possibly lottery pick.

croz24
07-30-2006, 10:41 PM
just a little heads up, mayo may be eligible for next years draft.

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 11:02 PM

is he challenging Clarett style??

:link:

SycamoreKen
07-30-2006, 11:33 PM

There is no link on the SI site, but in this week's Sports Illustrated there is a small story about Sonny Vaccaro, Reebok's high school hoops leech, floating the idea of 19 year olds skipping their last year of school and getting their GED to be eligble for the draft. He says that there are 7 top seniors that fit the criteria. He says that at least 2 teams overseas would sign the players, or they could just hire agents and work out for the year.

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Does it say what 7?

rexnom
07-30-2006, 11:38 PM
There is no link on the SI site, but in this week's Sports Illustrated there is a small story about Sonny Vaccaro, Reebok's high school hoops leech, floating the idea of 19 year olds skipping their last year of school and getting their GED to be eligble for the draft. He says that there are 7 top seniors that fit the criteria. He says that at least 2 teams overseas would sign the players, or they could just hire agents and work out for the year.
Once again proving that the age-limit is bad.

SycamoreKen
07-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Does it say what 7?

No, but Mayo and Bill Walker are prefer to go into the draft and did not have high schools set when the issue went to print.

Bball
07-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Once again proving that the age-limit is bad.

What's bad is GM's unable to keep their hands out of the cookie jar and picking too much on potential rather than actual on court performance.

Potential means "You ain't done it yet".

-Bball