PDA

View Full Version : Could and should Daniels run the point?

Haggard
07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Does anyone think that Marquis could/should start in the point position?
He had sucess in the point position as a rookie in Dallas when Steve Nash was injured. Now that he is a bit older an more mature I think he is capable of doing a fine job at point. If he plays point then we will start with a string 5 and with a surplus of forwards in the linup Granger could play in the 2 position.

Shade
07-29-2006, 11:12 PM
The gripe in Dallas seemed to be that Quis has the tools to play point, but not the decision-making capabilities. I expect that Rick will play him a lot at the point though if/when Tins goes down.

Granger is not a 2, and if we play him there, we're in a heap o' trouble.

kellogg
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
I expect that Rick will play him a lot at the point though if/when Tins goes down.

I'm betting more on 'when' than 'if'...

...the only question will be what hangnail will go bad, or will it be those darn sinuses, or family problems...or....or....or

Haggard
07-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Bird has mentined that he sees Danny as being capable playing either the 3 or the 4 position. if we needed to go with a big man lineup thne Danny would be outh there

Harison
JO
Al
Danny
Daniels

Fireball Kid
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
No.

ROCislandWarrior
07-29-2006, 11:42 PM
No.

I would have to agree

No way

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Daniels is more of a 2/3.

Frank Slade
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
To answer the question could Daniels run the point ? yes no doubt, look no further than Walsh's recent comments that Marquis will help at the point.

Now I don't see him starting at the 1 (unless somethig happens). I think he will most likely be the sixth man and rotate around 1,2 and 3 sometimes depending on how small or big we decide to go in various situations.

Haggard
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
We still need to do something about the point position. The Pacers can not rely on Tinsley who is probably one of the most over rated players in the NBA. If Daniels can play the point then why not let him. Start the game with

JO
Al
Danny
Jack
Daniels

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Becuz the ball wouldn;t be passed once

Haggard
07-29-2006, 11:55 PM
it would when JO gets a rebound and pases it off to a guard

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 11:57 PM
IF Jo isn't injured from playing center

Haggard
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
touche'

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
:tip:

Fireball Kid
07-30-2006, 12:22 AM
'Quis is not the answer for our point guard woes. I've seen him play alot in Dallas and I can tell you that he's not all that effective when he is running the offense.

JO
Al
Danny
Jack
Daniels

The perimeter shooting % will go all the way down to hell with that lineup.

Naptown_Seth
07-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Daniels is more of a 2/3.
I agree. Maybe some PG for defensive purposes or size, but then you wouldn't run a traditional offense and would have someone else "running" the offense, like Danny or Jack from the wing feeding JO or AL in the post.

One thing I like with Jack/JO is the give and go through the low post, its one of JO's best passing situations and has a pretty good rate of success. But no way you want Daniels running PG full-time. I actually like White's decision making a little more if they are swinging an SG around.

SoupIsGood
07-30-2006, 12:42 AM
He should play mostly 2 for us.

CableKC
07-30-2006, 12:55 AM
For now.....I would hope that he would stick to playing the 2 spot until we can really see if he would be an effective PG.

Assuming that SJax is still here at the start of the season....I would expect SJax to start at the SG spot, Granger at starting SF spot and have Marquis backup the SG spot with SJax shifting over to the backup SF spot.

Basically....a 30-32 mpg SG/SF rotation of SJax+Granger, Marquis+Granger and Marquis+SJax using a 9 man rotation.

Kaufman
07-30-2006, 01:35 AM
This raises a good question - can anyone name a GOOD non-traditional point guard like a potential Marquis Daniels playing pg?

My feeling is that MDs shouldn't play PG under many circumstances.

Arcadian
07-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Having a sg with good ball handling takes pressure off an average pg. That is how Daniels should help us. We still need the other guard to have good ball handling abilities. Daniels and Jackson (or any other sg on our roster) would be a bad choice for a backcourt.

Alpolloloco
07-30-2006, 07:02 AM
Aren't we forgetting Saras in this discussion?

If Tinsley and Jackson are still here at the beginning of the season let them start, and have Saras and Quis back them up. If Tinsley goes down promote both Saras and Quis to the starting unit while Jackson will be the 6th man from the bench.

Unclebuck
07-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Aren't we forgetting Saras in this discussion?

If Tinsley and Jackson are still here at the beginning of the season let them start, and have Saras and Quis back them up. If Tinsley goes down promote both Saras and Quis to the starting unit while Jackson will be the 6th man from the bench.

If those are the choices we are left with, I'd rather start Marquis and Saras. And I'm certainly no fan of Saras' game.

I've been advocating for several months that the Pacers have interchangeable guards and with Daniels playing shooting guard you can achieve that. With Jackson playing shooting guard you cannot.

There is no way you can play Saras and Jackson together as both are terrible ballhandlers. so that leaves us with having to team Saras with Daniels and Tinsley with Jax.

But then I still think Tins and Jax will be gone, so who knows
d

DisplacedKnick
07-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Only in an absolute emergency.

Of course the way your PG position is now, any time Tinsley is injured it's an absolute emergency.

CableKC
07-30-2006, 12:05 PM
If Tinsley becomes injured....I would hope that Greene or Armrstrong steps in as the 2nd/3rd PG behind Sarunas.

I'm not convinced....yet....that Marquis is a viable PG option to play ahead of Greene or Armstrong given his limited playing time at that position. The only way that I would even want him to play the PG position is when Tinsley and Sarunas goes down with injury.

Marquis should stick to what he does best.....score the ball as a SG.

Destined4Greatness
07-30-2006, 01:45 PM
He'll start plenty of games once Tinsley goes down. I doubt anybody else on the roster could do better. So he'll get plenty of time at PG. Which means White can get minutes at PG and SG. Behind Jax and Daniels.

vapacersfan
07-30-2006, 02:06 PM
If Tinsley becomes injured....I would hope that Greene or Armrstrong steps in as the 2nd/3rd PG behind Sarunas.

I'm not convinced....yet....that Marquis is a viable PG option to play ahead of Greene or Armstrong given his limited playing time at that position. The only way that I would even want him to play the PG position is when Tinsley and Sarunas goes down with injury.

Marquis should stick to what he does best.....score the ball as a SG.

It's really less or of "if" and more of a "when".

With that said, I agree he should stick to playing the "2", but if we need him to help at least we know he is capable

CableKC
07-31-2006, 01:11 AM
He'll start plenty of games once Tinsley goes down. I doubt anybody else on the roster could do better. So he'll get plenty of time at PG. Which means White can get minutes at PG and SG. Behind Jax and Daniels.

I thought that Marquis primarily played SG minutes in the latter part of his career with the Mavs. :shrug:

<< Fireball Kid.....please correct me if I am wrong >>

If that is the case....how can he be a better 3rd option PG then Armstrong or Greene?

Eindar
07-31-2006, 02:14 AM
Sorry, didn't read the rest of the responses.

Did someone say Maybe and NO yet?

Diesel_81
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
If Daniels is your main guard responsible for setting up the offense and playmaking then I think were in trouble. I do think though if we added another guard like a Mike Dunlevy JR who has good floor vision and ball handling skills then I think we can get buy with playing Daniels at pg.Im not saying we bring in Dunlevy but we need to get another guard who has pg skills if were going to try this. I think James White over time has some of those skills I've mentioned.

FlavaDave
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't mind Marquis getting some time at the point when the Pacer's have a lead (for defensive purposes).

Use a lineup of Daniels/Flight/Granger/Harrington/JO to put the squeeze on teams at the end of quarters.

Throw in Harrison for Harrington if the team has big post players.