PDA

View Full Version : Star} Baston leaves Israel for Pacers

Pacers#1Fan
07-29-2006, 03:15 AM
By Mark Montieth www.indystar.com

Maceo Baston has dreamed of playing in the NBA since leaving the University of Michigan in 1998.

He showed how badly he wanted it by taking less money and likely less playing time to sign a contract with the Indiana Pacers on Friday. Baston, a 6-9, 215-pound forward, accepted a two-year deal worth $1.8 million, with a player option for the second year.

He played the past three seasons for Maccabi in Tel Aviv, Isreal, teaming with Pacers guard Sarunas Jasikevicius on teams that won the Euroleague title in 2004 and '05.

He had received an offer of $3.3 million over three years to return to Maccabi. "This is a guy who, talent-wise, is a 5- or 6-million dollar guy (in the NBA)," said Baston's agent, Mark Bartelstein. "I think this is a steal for the Pacers."

Although not a polished offensive player, Baston fits the Pacers' shift to an up-tempo style of play. He was the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year at Michigan in 1998 and earned the same award in the CBA in 2000.
He averaged 2.4 points in 16 games for Toronto in 2003 and has played in Europe since then.

Baston, 30, averaged 13.3 points on 65 percent shooting and 6.5 rebounds last season, when Maccabi reached the Euroleague finals. He had 20 points, seven rebounds and six blocked shots in a semifinal win, and six points, 15 rebounds and two blocks in a loss in the final.
"He's a guy who can fit in with our team," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "I expect his job will be to rebound, go to the boards, run the floor, play defense and block shots."

Pacers president Larry Bird became familiar with Baston while scouting Jasikevicius, and believed he was the best front-line free agent available.

Call Star reporter Mark Montieth at (317) 444-6406.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved
__________________________________________________ ____________

Basically stuff we already know but interesting none the less.
<!--*** END MIDDLE **********************************************-->

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-29-2006, 07:17 AM
well if he can do what larry said he can do then let get it on! nba title here we come!

aero
07-29-2006, 07:41 AM
i found a download of a game with him in it, now i cant really judge the guy on how he plays from one game but he fouled out in the 3rd and really didnt get many points :( Still though...i guess hes someone we could use...id rather have Anthony Parker that game was awesome in the game i seen (the game i watched was Maccabi Tel Aviv Vs Toronta Raptors preseason?)

if anyone wants the game just PM me, first half is about 340mb - 2nd file is about 350mb

D-BONE
07-29-2006, 09:13 AM
We need to have realistic expectations here. I think Baston is a solid pick-up but only in as much as he's being brought in as role player. Obviously a bench player. If he develops into more than that it would be a pleasant surprise. The proverbial gravy.

Slick Pinkham
07-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Darvin Ham the 2nd

TheLemonSong
07-29-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm living in Israel and I just watched him play in the Final Four here...

This guy is a *great* pickup in my opinion. He's 100% unselfish, he's hungry, he's long lean and athletic and he doesn't want to be a starter. He'll also have an easy introduction because of Saras. I'm starting to see what Bird is doing and although I don't think a title is on the horizon, I think we're reloading for another serious shot!

aero
07-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I really would love to see the Pacers go for a title run but i really dont realisticly see us going for an NBA title for the next 2 - 3 years sadly :(

Ralph Snart
07-29-2006, 09:39 AM
For the price, I'm happy with this pickup. If he comes in an blocks two or three shots a game, I think that's value for the money. Anything else (rebounds, fast breaks, put backs) I think is gravy.

Plus the guy is hungry - he's taking less money and fewer minutes to prove himself. I like the attitude, and if anything, it will push the guys in front of him (Al, Jeff, JO, Williams), to play that much better. We have nothing to lose with this signing, other than a roster spot.

Jon Theodore
07-29-2006, 09:50 AM
this seems like a really good chemistry move.

Anthem
07-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Mark Bartelstein? I can't stand that guy.

BlueNGold
07-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I really would love to see the Pacers go for a title run but i really dont realisticly see us going for an NBA title for the next 2 - 3 years sadly :(

The Pacers have a nice stable of very good players, but none that are great. As long as JO is the centerpiece of this team, it will never win a title. Let me say that again. As long as JO is the centerpiece of this team, it will never win a title. You just cannot pay that much money for a player who is not a clutch big game player and expect to win it all.

The point has been made that the Pacers cannot afford a full rebuild due the small Indy market. That point holds some water, unfortunately. Consequently, we will need to get lucky to ever win a title in Indy because the vast majority of titles are won by teams with top 10 players. ...and as long as we do not go for a full rebuild, we will have to accept that.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-29-2006, 12:00 PM
let get it on!! get al get this team rolling :buddies: :cheers: :dance2: :dj: :gopacers: :jump: :rockon: :rockon2: :boomer: :happydanc

jjbjjbjjb
07-29-2006, 12:06 PM
The Pacers have a nice stable of very good players, but none that are great. As long as JO is the centerpiece of this team, it will never win a title. Let me say that again. As long as JO is the centerpiece of this team, it will never win a title. You just cannot pay that much money for a player who is not a clutch big game player and expect to win it all.

The point has been made that the Pacers cannot afford a full rebuild due the small Indy market. That point holds some water, unfortunately. Consequently, we will need to get lucky to ever win a title in Indy because the vast majority of titles are won by teams with top 10 players. ...and as long as we do not go for a full rebuild, we will have to accept that.

I more or less agree, and I do accept it. Some people say championship or nothing, but you're right, we're going to have to get lucky.

Maybe after a few years with whatever horrible franchise drafts him, Oden will come back to us. :pray:

Pacersfan.
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Yup, the best we can hope for without a true rebuiling process is stealing another player like J.O. with potential and hoping it works out. I've got to say they've done a pretty admirable job when you consider they plucked Al and JO out of the rough. But your also going to have the Benders who don't pan out using this method..

Roaming Gnome
07-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey, the bottom line is Brad still signed the contract, not his agent! The player tells the agent to get him the best deal, Brad was no different.

vapacersfan
07-29-2006, 02:50 PM

Why?

Has he ever done anything to hurt the Pacers franchise?

grace
07-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Has he ever done anything to hurt the Pacers franchise?

He's an agent isn't he? 'Nuff said.

vapacersfan
07-29-2006, 03:07 PM
He's an agent isn't he? 'Nuff said.

I am thinking of going and looking for a internship with a sports agent firm here in DC in the next sesester or so. Does that mean you will hate me also Grace?

grace
07-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I am thinking of going and looking for a internship with a sports agent firm here in DC in the next sesester or so. Does that mean you will hate me also Grace?

The Magic 8 Ball says:

http://www.twentysix.net/update/updates/010204/magic8.jpg

"It Is Decidely So." In other words: Yes.

:sorry:

Jay Ohh
07-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Baston's going to be our Power Forward version of Eddie Gill. He said he doesn't even care about not playing. He just wants the money.

Young
For the price, I'm happy with this pickup. If he comes in an blocks two or three shots a game, I think that's value for the money. Anything else (rebounds, fast breaks, put backs) I think is gravy.

Plus the guy is hungry - he's taking less money and fewer minutes to prove himself. I like the attitude, and if anything, it will push the guys in front of him (Al, Jeff, JO, Williams), to play that much better. We have nothing to lose with this signing, other than a roster spot.

I agree with you 100%.

As your said he can block shots, rebound, unselfish, good teammate, hungry, runs the break, constant energy, will push the guys ahead of him on the DC hopefully. I just love this signing for the price.

Now Baston isn't perfect. I don't care about his offense because I don't want the ball in his hands. I just wish that he was a better post defender but he could still be very useful because we need shot blocking sooooo bad here in Indiana. I wish that he was proven on the NBA level but when you look at the bigs avaliable for this price this is not a bad signing.

If the worst thing Baston does is be a good locker room presence and push the other guys in practice i'd be fine with that.

vapacersfan
The Magic 8 Ball says:

http://www.twentysix.net/update/updates/010204/magic8.jpg

"It Is Decidely So." In other words: Yes.

:sorry:

It's OK Grace. At least you are honest.

But for forewarned, when I sign my first star player to his multi-year contract, I am not sending you any alcohol or a Bentley :-p

grace
07-29-2006, 03:22 PM
It's OK Grace. At least you are honest.

But for forwarned, when I sign my first star player to his multi-year contract, I am not sending you and alcohol or a Bentley :-p

Do typos nullify a contract? ;)

Actually what I meant to say was I wouldn't hate you; rather I wouldn't trust you as far as I can spit.

vapacersfan
07-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Do typos nullify a contract? ;)

Actually what I meant to say was I wouldn't hate you; rather I wouldn't trust you as far as I can spit.

I would not be able to answer that question for you. You may want to talk to Lavarís former agent, the Poston guy.

As for me not being trusted, Im sure you wont be the first women to say that, and while I would like you to be the last I highly doubt that will be the case either.

*Back on topic*

I am behind on my reading so this may have already been discussed, but does this signing mean that Scoot will not get re-upped?

blanket
07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Baston's going to be our Power Forward version of Eddie Gill. He said he doesn't even care about not playing. He just wants the money.

I must've missed that quote about not caring about playing, and just wanting the money. Everything I read suggests he's coming to the NBA because he wants the challenge of playing against the best, and that he's taking less money with the Pacers than what he'd get in Europe (tax considerations included).

Jay Ohh
07-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I must've missed that quote about not caring about playing, and just wanting the money. Everything I read suggests he's coming to the NBA because he wants the challenge of playing against the best, and that he's taking less money with the Pacers than what he'd get in Europe (tax considerations included).

I was being sarcastic. I guess it doesn't really come across too well on the internet.

hoopsforlife
07-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Baston will be a starter before the end of the year. :)

When Saras becomes the starter after Tinsleys fifth bout of sinupoutitis, Baston will move into a starting position to fill JO's spot. JO will be out with his regular scratch, deep muscle bruise or whatever and Carlisle will play Baston because he's 30 or over. Jackson wil be logging DNP BD's(Bird's decision) for attitude problems and it will open a spot for Baston.

Surprisingly, this will work well and the Pacers will go on to win the title this year.

:)

ssmall
07-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Drugs are bad mkay?

Naptown_Seth
07-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Remember when he was a selfish brat, wet behind the ears and ignorant in the ways of NBA ball.

Yeah, I think that was way back...nearly 3 years ago. And I was being sarcastic, with the point being that I doubt it was bad attitude holding him back just a few years ago, which means that a good attitude now isn't going to improve his chances to flourish in the NBA.

16 GP, 6.6 mpg with the freaking RAPTORS. They won 24 games that year and didn't need him. WTF is in the water with Maccabi that a guy who couldn't make a 24 win team is now going to be a difference maker with a team looking to keep their playoff streak alive?

Seriously.

Save the scouting reports because the report from the Final 4 Euro in SarJas' final season had him as a much better player than either Parker or Baston, and while SarJas MIGHT come around more this year and have some impact, why in the world would Baston have a better "rookie" year with the Pacers than SarJas did??

It would be far different if SarJas had kicked butt and held a film grip on the 20 mpg BU role (without Tinsley's injury especially), but that's not what happened. Blame it on whatever, but this is a lesser player than him coming over for his first full NBA season too.

What is the secret math I'm missing, other than the "anything unproven must be great" pill I refuse to take. The Pacers already picked up several young talents up and down the roster, why sign another?

Why is Powell not Baston? What about Shawne? Powell did more with a title contender than Baston did with a bottom of the barrel NBA team.

Young
07-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Remember when he was a selfish brat, wet behind the ears and ignorant in the ways of NBA ball.

Yeah, I think that was way back...nearly 3 years ago. And I was being sarcastic, with the point being that I doubt it was bad attitude holding him back just a few years ago, which means that a good attitude now isn't going to improve his chances to flourish in the NBA.

16 GP, 6.6 mpg with the freaking RAPTORS. They won 24 games that year and didn't need him. WTF is in the water with Maccabi that a guy who couldn't make a 24 win team is now going to be a difference maker with a team looking to keep their playoff streak alive?

Seriously.

Save the scouting reports because the report from the Final 4 Euro in SarJas' final season had him as a much better player than either Parker or Baston, and while SarJas MIGHT come around more this year and have some impact, why in the world would Baston have a better "rookie" year with the Pacers than SarJas did??

It would be far different if SarJas had kicked butt and held a film grip on the 20 mpg BU role (without Tinsley's injury especially), but that's not what happened. Blame it on whatever, but this is a lesser player than him coming over for his first full NBA season too.

What is the secret math I'm missing, other than the "anything unproven must be great" pill I refuse to take. The Pacers already picked up several young talents up and down the roster, why sign another?

Why is Powell not Baston? What about Shawne? Powell did more with a title contender than Baston did with a bottom of the barrel NBA team.

Funny because while you talk about how Baston couldn't make the Raptors...whenver that was last year or a couple years ago...it seems that most Raptor fans think that he should have played more for the Raptors and that Baston belongs in the NBA. But hey Baston didn't make the roster on a 24 win team so he is gonna suck no matter what, right? Even a year or so later when he could improve that doesn't matter, right?

And ahh I was wondering when someone would bring up Saras. I knew that someone would since we are talking about Baston.

Tell me, what does Sara's lack of success in his rookie year have to do with Baston being successful or failing in his rookie year? Just because they played for the same Euroleague team? In that case, Anthony Parker you suck and the Raptors are going to regret signing you because you played with Saras.

Anything unproven must be great? I think that the posters who like this move know what the Pacers are expecting out of Baston, that's to bring energy, play d, block shots, rebound, run the break, etc. I don't know who is saying that Baston will be great is wrong. He won't. He is likely to be a very solid NBA role player, what more do you want from a backup?

And what about Powell? Bird probably seen Baston play a lot more than you or anyone of us on here so i'm pretty sure he has a good idea of what Baston can do for this team. And Shawne? Baston will be playing the 4-5 while Shawne will likely only play the 2-3.

I just fail to understand why people don't like this move. Tell me, who would you have signed to be your backup PF/C at the price we got Baston?

Chauncey
07-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Somewhere, I'm sure KStat is laughing about this as much as I am. *Enough with the rude comments; gets removed towards any player* As I said in the other thread, this is worse than the Lakers bringing back Shammond Williams.

SoupIsGood
07-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Somewhere, I'm sure KStat is laughing about this as much as I am. As I said in the other thread, this is worse than the Lakers bringing back Shammond Williams.

I doubt it really matters if he sucks or not, since he'll hardly play. He just needs to bring a good attitude to the team, and be the buddy to Saras that he was brought here to be...

Slick Pinkham
07-29-2006, 08:08 PM
...a guy who couldn't make a 24 win team is now going to be a difference maker with a team looking to keep their playoff streak alive?

Nobody thinks that, not even hoopsforlife (he was being sarcastic, I think) :confused:

The hope is that if 6 guys get hurt, he has some energy as a 12th man. Maybe he's our Darvin Ham-- given a chance he could be dunking, blocking shots in garbage time, while being far too rough around the edges to ever get meaningful minutes.

I think that's what just about any of us expect. Maybe some of our Euro Pacer fans expect more, but few of us do.

SoupIsGood
07-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Let's see those tribute videos!

Kegboy
07-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Tell me, who would you have signed to be your backup PF/C at the price we got Baston?

:pollard:

Chauncey
07-29-2006, 08:43 PM
:pollard:

Now Kegboy, why would the Pacers need a proven nba big-man as a back up when they can bring in Maceo Baston? Baston is the next Antonio Davis, after all.

Jay Ohh
07-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Looks like he's going to be this years Sarunas.

Skaut_Ech
07-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I put this in the other MAco thread, but I think it merits sharing it, here, too.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22924&page=5

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Baston rumors confirmed
<hr style="color: rgb(191, 192, 196);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Hicks
I still want to hear Skaut's thoughts on this.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

First of all, let me condescendingly say that a player CAN get better playing in Europe. I noticed that sentiment being voiced quite a few times.:hmm::shakehead

Nenad Krstic (a guy on my fantasy basketball team) immediately comes to mind. I noticed Antonio Davis was mentioned. Another guy off the top of my head is former Pacer Michael Curry. Never a world beater, but he came back a better player after playing in Europe. PJ Brown went to Europe to improve his game and did so. Vinny DelNegro went to Europe, came back a better player. I'm sure if you did some research, you could find quite a few players who improved their game who improved their game in Europe.

As to Maceo, I've made no secret that I love the guy. :blush:Is he starting material? I doubt it. What I have always liked about him is that he has always played hungry. I know some folks were discussing how he played in college, but that was almost TEN YEARS AGO! You don't think a player can improve or change over 10 years? Was Reggie the same player at UCLA that he was in the pros 10 years later? Dale? Any player? :rolleyes:

I know some of you were commenting on him not playing any minutes on a bad Raptors team. Someone can look it up and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Antonio was THE man in the post and got the lions share of the minutes. I know JYD was getting a bunch of minutes and pay and the guys ahead of him made substantially more money. They kinda had a commitment to play the guys they had invested the most money into. It was kinda the old " you pay him you gotta play him."

So, anyways, I gotta say, I'm secretly a little geeked. On my short list of players I wanted us to give a shot, we've picked up Maceo, Armstrong and Marquis. I'm kinda shocked. I like guys who work hard and throw their bodies around. That describes Maceo.

He's not going to give you jump shooting. He's going to give you a slasher who's a monster dunker. His forte is defense and shotblocking, as you know, but he's strikes me as a good lockerroom guy. We need a guy who'll stay in the paint and defend his area and he'll do that.

I think ultimately, naptown had a good accessment:
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> As I said earlier..... he is a 10th/11th man. A high energy guy to provide the occasional hustle spark of the bench and when the big guys get into foul trouble. Hulk/Jeff/JO/AL are going to be seeing almost all of the front court minutes on a normal night.

With that being said he is perfect for what we signed him for. You want guys just like him for that 10th/11th man spot. High energy!!! </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

I think he's an excellent insurance policy. Remember back in 97 when Smits and Dale were out with Injuries and Reggie carried the team while we covered using players like Adrian Caldwell in the post. I think Maceo is a great guy to have if Foster and Hulk get into trouble, or same goes for JO/Al.

Like I said about Marquis, I'll say about Maceo. I think he's going to surpirise those of you who haven't kept up with him or are basing jugements on what you saw of him a long time ago.

I thin Maceo is going to be one of the better, most important bench pickups we'll make this off-season in terms of a stable guy, of whom you know just what you're getting, has no agenda and loves to play D, while adding some shotblocking to the team. He makes me think of the old toughness we used to bring in guys like Tank Thompson, Adrian Caldwell, Dale, etc.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

Kegboy
07-29-2006, 09:54 PM
He makes me think of the old toughness we used to bring in guys like Tank Thompson, Adrian Caldwell, Dale, etc.

We are so not seeing the same guy.

Frank Slade
07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
For all of those that are yearning for Pollard to return, does anyone even know his health status right now? Can he actually go a full season ?

I love his energy and what he brings,but would there be any reason for the Pacers not to resign him if he actually was ready to go, or for that matter any other team , has not picked him up.

I think we tend to see what we want to see sometimes, which is human nature of course, but still true. Playing favorites with some. and quick to judgement on others.

grace
07-29-2006, 11:03 PM
For all of those that are yearning for Pollard to return, does anyone even know his health status right now? Can he actually go a full season ?

No, neither can Dale Davis, TMac, Grant Hill...I'm sure there are more, but those are the first ones that come to my mind.

BlueNGold
07-29-2006, 11:37 PM

No doubt. Baston is built almost exactly like Tayshaun Prince, not exactly a tough guy. Interestingly, he is supposedly a PF. He will be physically dominated in this league at that position. Imagine Tayshaun attempting to guard JO.

Chauncey
07-29-2006, 11:49 PM

Scott has to be making this stuff up as he goes.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Ohh Hicks, edit me edit me!!!

JO's soft

Chauncey
07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Somewhere, I'm sure KStat is laughing about this as much as I am. *Enough with the rude comments; gets removed towards any player* As I said in the other thread, this is worse than the Lakers bringing back Shammond Williams.

Hold up? My ****ing post got edited for saying that Maceo Baston is a turdbucket? "Turdbucket" gets your post edited?

Thats just ****ing ridiculous

sweabs
07-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I know some of you were commenting on him not playing any minutes on a bad Raptors team. Someone can look it up and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Antonio was THE man in the post and got the lions share of the minutes. I know JYD was getting a bunch of minutes and pay and the guys ahead of him made substantially more money. They kinda had a commitment to play the guys they had invested the most money into. It was kinda the old " you pay him you gotta play him."

Part of the reason Maceo was signed for a few weeks was because of the injuries that AD had suffered. If I recall correctly, it was mainly AD and VC that were down for the majority of that season to injuries. At the time, that was the Raptors 1-2 punch. Without them, they were useless.

The Raptors must have signed every big-man in the league at that time. I remember guys like Jelani McCoy getting big-time minutes at the 4-5 spots. I also think that was the year Toronto drafted Michael Bradley (who they were very high on at the time) - and they were giving him a lot of opportunity as well. JYD was never really an issue, as he was forced to play a lot of time at small forward because of all the no-name big men that the Raptors decided to give a try.

Maceo always got a few minutes here and there, but never produced enough to get playing time over guys like Jelani McCoy and Michael Bradley. That concerns me...but of course, he could have developed his game since then.

EDIT: Blast from the past! Just checked the old roster from that year - I forgot about a couple other big men that got more PT than Maceo (doesn't mean it was well-deserved)...but nonetheless: Mamadou N'Diaye and Greg Foster! Man, that entire season was just a mess - so many guys called up to play.

Anthem
07-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Let's see those tribute videos!
Yep. I'm thinking the same thing.

cariocapacer
07-30-2006, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=Pacers#1Fan]By Mark Montieth www.indystar.com

Pacers president Larry Bird became familiar with Baston while scouting Jasikevicius, and believed he was the best front-line free agent available.

I guess that makes him better than Harrington.

Big Smooth
07-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Hold up? My ****ing post got edited for saying that Maceo Baston is a turdbucket? "Turdbucket" gets your post edited?

Thats just ****ing ridiculous

I agree, it is an example of over-moderation.

LoneGranger33
07-30-2006, 11:15 PM
IS THAT HA SEUNG-JIN!?!?

indytoad
07-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Should have kept the guys we got from Dallas instead.

Still. Irrelevant signing.

IndyToad
The one thing we can't do

Pacers#1Fan
07-31-2006, 01:03 AM
This is an interesting article but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread, there are a lot of former NBA (and former Pacers mentioned).
__________________________________________________ _____________
Maceo Baston joins Saras in Indiana
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>FRANKIE SACHS, THE JERUSALEM POST </TD><TD align=right>Jul. 30, 2006</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Maceo Baston became the latest Maccabi Tel Aviv player to choose the NBA over another season with the Euroleague powerhouse Friday when he signed a two-year, $1.8 million deal with the Indiana Pacers.

Baston, a staple in the Maccabi lineup that won back-to-back Euroleague titles and reached the championship game last season, turned down more money from Maccabi to try his luck in the NBA. He joins Sarunas Jasikevicius, a teammate at Maccabi from 2003-05, in Indiana. Anthony Parker also left Maccabi this summer for a three-year deal with the Toronto Raptors.

Baston's departure leaves Maccabi with only one signed starter from last year's squad - center Nikola Vujcic.

This will be Baston's second stint in the NBA. He played in 16 games for
the Raptors in 2003, before joining Maccabi.

He will likely be one of the team's primary backups for All-Star big man Jermaine O'Neal.

"He's a shot-blocker who can play in a fast-paced game," Pacers president and CEO Donnie Walsh told the team's Web site. "He's a veteran player in the sense he's had a lot of experience in Europe and has won championships over there. We think he's a candidate to come in and play right away."

Maccabi, which was already seeking replacements for Parker and point guard Will Solomon, now will need a power forward to complement Vujcic as well. The rumor mill already has linked former NBA players Marcus Haislip and Marcus Fizer to the team.

Reports in Croatia, new coach Neven Spahija's homeland, and Lithuania, where he last coached, have Maccabi interested in Croatian point guard Zoran Planinic of the New Jersey Nets, whom Spahija coached five years ago at Cibona Zagreb, and free agent shooting guard Ron Mercer.

Club chairman Shimon Mizrahi has confirmed that Maccabi entered talks last week with another former NBA player, guard Dajuan Wagner.

Link: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153292030333&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153292030333&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull)[ Back to the Article (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153292030333&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull) ]
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>OAS_AD('LeaderBrd');</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Robertmto
07-31-2006, 02:40 AM
He will likely be one of the team's primary backups for All-Star big man Jermaine O'Neal.

Or 12th man who barely sees the floor. However you want to say it.

Naptown_Seth
07-31-2006, 02:42 AM
Nobody thinks that, not even hoopsforlife (he was being sarcastic, I think)
You'd think, but then....

And what about Powell? Bird probably seen Baston play a lot more than you or anyone of us on here so i'm pretty sure he has a good idea of what Baston can do for this team. And Shawne? Baston will be playing the 4-5 while Shawne will likely only play the 2-3.

I just fail to understand why people don't like this move. Tell me, who would you have signed to be your backup PF/C at the price we got Baston?
Bird had seen SarJas more than us too, but we all got to share in seeing Bird's misunderstanding of how the skill set would apply to the more physical NBA. It's the same as seeing the Maccabi highlights and expecting that to happen here. You know that Danny got plenty of court time with SarJas, but I didn't see tons of alley-oop superball between those 2. Is Baston better than Danny? More capable of making the court look wide open? And does Baston play Euro defense like SarJas did?

My point about SarJas is just that. SarJas was SCOUTED by others as being the best player on his team, better than Parker and Baston. Okay fine. So the "10" joins the Pacers and slumps by mid-season very badly. Why is the "8" going to do better than that?

Shawne is not a 2. He is playing the 3/4 just like Harrington. He's the same size as Baston and just pulled own 10 boards in his one summer game, ie he didn't camp the perimeter. Jack, Daniels, White all play 2 before Shawne. Even Danny probably goes to the 2 before Shawne.

My point about Baston's output in Toronto is that it hasn't been that long ago and it was the NBA and it was a team that NEEDED players. You go with the "fans wanted him to play more", but that falls right into my "unproven players are always great" view.

Of course Raptors fans thought he should play more, because he hadn't played enough to tick them off yet. Fans in Indy thought GILL should play more, but everytime he did it was a trainwreck of a player badly overmatched. Give Gill AJ's playing time and they'd run him out on a rail.

And Pollard is out there and clearly a better frontline FA than Baston. It was one thing to tell Pollard to hang on while they sorted stuff out, but to sign some other frontline guy while Pollard waits makes no sense unless this is a "Baston instead of Pollard" thing, in which case it seems really risky.

There can be surprises, and a couple of these pickups could surprise, but its highly likely that they all won't, and even reasonable to think that none of them will. Greene, Powell, Baston, etc aren't likely to produce 3 guys getting 15-20mpg.

Why spend the extra $1m or so on Baston for him to play 5-10 mpg at his age and with a very limited upside beyond whatever he brings his first 2 seasons? I would feel differently if the roster wasn't already full, but as it stands they might have to take a cap hit for a cut player now.

Anthem
07-31-2006, 08:07 AM
And Pollard is out there and clearly a better frontline FA than Baston. It was one thing to tell Pollard to hang on while they sorted stuff out, but to sign some other frontline guy while Pollard waits makes no sense unless this is a "Baston instead of Pollard" thing, in which case it seems really risky.
Two things.

First, this doesn't impede our ability to sign Pollard.

Second, I'm not sure if his body is up for another year of NBA ball.

btowncolt
07-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Vinny DelNegro went to Europe, came back a better player.

Yes! A Vinny mention!

I miss him.

Evan_The_Dude
07-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I loved watching Baston in college. He was an excellent player in transition, but sucked in the half court. I think he's going to be one guy that benefits greatly from the change of pace in the NBA. Not saying he'll be a star or anything, but I do think he can be a good contributor off the bench even if he does only get 10 minutes per game or less. A guy that can run the floor, finish strong, play defense, and block shots is something we can really use on this team. Right now, the only big guys we have that can *really* run the floor are Foster, and O'Neal.

Since86
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
I am behind on my reading so this may have already been discussed, but does this signing mean that Scoot will not get re-upped?

If hes' the hustle guy that he sounds like, I'm thinking this signing was to make Foster expendiable.

I'm not sure if I'm okay with it, even though I'm not big on Foster as is, but he doesn't fit the big brusier type of player Pollard is, and that is desperately needed.

I like how the Ps are going out and totally redoing the team and getting trades done quickly, before leaks come out and what not, but I hate it too. It makes this offseason interesting for two days, if there were rumors atleast we'd have something to actually talk about, instead of making up our own.