PDA

View Full Version : Knicks sign Jeffries to offer sheet, full MLE

Slick Pinkham
07-28-2006, 11:07 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/28/AR2006072801323.html

By Ivan Carter
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 28, 2006; 6:06 PM

The New York Knicks signed restricted free agent guard/forward Jared Jeffries to an offer sheet this afternoon, according to NBA sources.

The Washington Wizards will have seven days to decide whether to match the offer. Team owner Abe Pollin, president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld and coach Eddie Jordan have all indicated a desire to retain Jeffries.

Terms of the offer sheet were not available. Jeffries has long been coveted by Isiah Thomas, New York president of basketball operations and head coach. Like Jeffries, Thomas starred at Indiana University.

The Wizards have 13 players under contract after the recent signing of free agent forward Darius Songaila to a five-year, $21 million contract, and have room under the NBA's luxury tax threshold to match the offer to Jeffries, according to sources.

Pollin has indicated that he is willing to spend up to, but not over, the luxury tax threshold $65.4 million. Teams with payrolls over the threshold pay a dollar-for-dollar penalty to the league on the amount of payroll that exceeds $65.4 million.

The most likely scenario, according to sources, is that the Wizards will use the full seven days before matching the offer sheet to retain Jeffries.

Jeffries was drafted by the Wizards with the 11th overall pick in 2002 and has posted averages of 6.1 points and 4.8 rebounds in four seasons while carving out a role as perhaps the team's best all-around defender.

Jay Ohh
07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Just what they need. Having him and his ****ty 6 points and 4 rebounds will get the Knicks into the playoffs for sure.

Kstat
07-28-2006, 11:26 PM
:lmao:

Good thing for the Knicks, the Kings signed John Salmons. Otherwise I would be ALL OVER them for this deal.

Put Jeffries on the Pistons, Spurs or Cavs, and he's a real difference-maker.

On the Knicks, he's just another guy that will give them 8 and 4 on %35 shooting.

Anthem
07-28-2006, 11:28 PM
The most likely scenario, according to sources, is that the Wizards will use the full seven days before matching the offer sheet to retain Jeffries.
Why wait? Why not go ahead and match? I've never understood that. Unless you just want to mess with the team trying to sign your free agent.

Kstat
07-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Wait...you mean the wizards are actually going to MATCH this deal?

THis gets better and better....hilarious.

redwillow
07-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I like Jeffries. I think it's taken him some time to adjust to the NBA but he can be a solid contributer. Too bad for him he's on his way to NY. I thought Isaah was cool when he was here because he wore those crazy Dick Tracey villian suits. Now he's gone Bonkers. Mabey he secretly hates the Knicks.

purdue101
07-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Wait...you mean the wizards are actually going to MATCH this deal?

THis gets better and better....hilarious.

he's worth the MLE to the wiz. he's their only wing willing to play D.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 01:12 AM
This will be matched. Why they will wait for 7 days I don't know, but he will be resigned. And KStat why is this so hilarious?

Eindar
07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
I know exactly why the Knicks tried to sign him. He'd be the only guy over 6'6" that was worth a crap.

Kstat
07-29-2006, 01:50 AM
This will be matched. Why they will wait for 7 days I don't know, but he will be resigned. And KStat why is this so hilarious?

Because he's worth about half of his contract.

I feel sorry for whatever team has to keep him on an MLE type deal.....

Washington can't be as dumb as NY, can they?

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 02:28 AM
JJ is an important part of our team. Resigning him is not stupid in any way.
But letting go of Darko however...

:blush:

Anthem
07-29-2006, 02:37 AM
None of this answers my original question.

Why wait?

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 02:53 AM
I doubt this would happen, but maybe Grunfeld and Pollin are thinking about a S&T??

I really hope not, theres only a few ppl I would want from the Knicks and I doubt they woud give them up.

Those few are Frye, Robinson, and Lee.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 02:56 AM
According to the NY Post the Knicks offered him a 5 year 30 mill deal and the last offer made by the Wiz was 6 years and 33 mill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/29/sports/basketball/29knicks.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Kstat
07-29-2006, 02:58 AM
I thought you couldnt offer more than a 5-year contract anymore?

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 03:04 AM
I thought you couldnt offer more than a 5-year contract anymore?

Maybe since he's restricted it kinda IS only a 5 year deal??

:confused:

Kstat
07-29-2006, 03:06 AM
then it isn't a 6-year deal, it's a 5-year extension.

They offered the same contract.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 03:08 AM
It is believed the Knicks gave Jeffries the maximum terms allowed using the midlevel salary-cap exception — about $30 million over five years. His starting salary would be $5.215 million.

The Wizards seem likely to match the offer. All of the Wizards’ key officials — the owner, Abe Pollin; the president, Ernie Grunfeld; and Coach Eddie Jordan — have said they want to keep Jeffries.

The Wizards’ last offer was believed to be worth about $33 million over six years, so matching the Knicks’ offer would not seem unreasonable. Most importantly, the Wizards can accommodate the contract without exceeding the luxury-tax threshold.

Jermaniac
07-29-2006, 03:20 AM
lmao 30 million for Jeffries

Kstat
07-29-2006, 03:20 AM
THey're already on the hook for 1 year for $3 million extended on to his rookie deal. That can't be re-negotiated.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 03:23 AM
which is why I said its basically a 5 year deal

Unclebuck
07-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Just what they need. Having him and his ****ty 6 points and 4 rebounds will get the Knicks into the playoffs for sure.

So you don't even consider defense as an asset.

Jeffries is an excellent defender and role player something the Knicks really need

DisplacedKnick
07-29-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm with kstat - that's just about 2X what he's worth.

Which based on what Zeke's been doing the past 3 years - and especially compared with what we did with our MLE last summer - makes him a bargain. At least for the Knicks.

I'm also with UB on the value of a good role player who will just defend and rebound. And if we still had KT and Jerome Williams on the team it might even help us. Unfortunately one player who's willing to defend playing with 4 lazy bums doesn't help you at all. A team can still be good defensively if 3 of the 5 guys on the floor are good - they can cover with team defense for the 2 subpar guys. We don't have that.

Of course with Isiah coaching I don't think we'll hear the term "defense" used until at least December, probably January, anyway.

BBALL56HACKER
07-29-2006, 08:28 AM
I thought teams could sign their own players for 6 years. But if a player left to sign with another team they could only give the 5 year deal. That way teams could keep there good players.

blanket
07-29-2006, 10:05 AM

Why wait?

I think you wait the full 7 days just to screw another team in your conference, because now the Knicks can't make any other moves with their MLE until the Wiz tell them if they're going to match or not. It's just gamesmanship.

Pacers#1Fan
07-29-2006, 10:50 AM
OMG. lmao at Isaiah Thomas (and the Wizards if they match). I agree with Kstat, that is 2x what Jeffries is worth.

Shade
07-29-2006, 11:24 AM
The sad thing is, JJ is probably Washington's best defender. 6 years, $33 mil for JJ? :lmao:

grace
07-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Why wait?

Management gets bored too. They enjoy making the other team sweat.

vapacersfan
07-29-2006, 03:06 PM
I have not seen very man people who actually want to see him re-signed, but the common feeling is after the 7 day waiting period the Wizards will match this offer.

I have heard some people suggest the Wiz work out some sort of S&T, preferable for draft pick(s), but that is all dreaming at this point. And even if the Knicks were willing to go that route, Im not sure they have any draft picks left for the next couple of drafts.

DisplacedKnick
07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
I have not seen very man people who actually want to see him re-signed, but the common feeling is after the 7 day waiting period the Wizards will match this offer.

I have heard some people suggest the Wiz work out some sort of S&T, preferable for draft pick(s), but that is all dreaming at this point. And even if the Knicks were willing to go that route, Im not sure they have any draft picks left for the next couple of drafts.

They can dream all they want - you can't do a S&T for a player matched as a restricted FA. You could sign him and then trade him after December 15 - but even then he'd be BYC and I THINK the team that gave the original offer sheet can't get him for another year (not 100% on that though).

Jay Ohh
07-29-2006, 03:33 PM

Jeffries is an excellent defender and role player something the Knicks really need

Defense is an asset, but for 30 million dollars it's one they can do without.

vapacersfan
07-29-2006, 03:38 PM
They can dream all they want - you can't do a S&T for a player matched as a restricted FA. You could sign him and then trade him after December 15 - but even then he'd be BYC and I THINK the team that gave the original offer sheet can't get him for another year (not 100% on that though).

Well we have gotten very good at dreaming about our sports teams around here - although the Wizards and Skins have both really stepped it up the past couple of years.

Like I said, thats just what I have been hearing.

Kstat
07-29-2006, 04:25 PM

As I said before, UB, a good defender on a team that doesn't play any defense is next to useless.

Jeffries would be a good role player on a team like detroit, SA, Miami, etc.

On NY, he'll suck ***.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Jared Jeffries is very underrated on this board. Jeffries was a big reason the Wiz made th eplayoffs the last 2 years. Although Arenas might have a lil bi tto do with it.

grace
07-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Jared Jeffries is very underrated on this board. Jeffries was a big reason the Wiz made th eplayoffs the last 2 years. Although Arenas might have a lil bi tto do with it.

Considering all the IU fans on this board I find it hard to believe he's being underrated. Maybe they're just not stepping up to defend him. Or maybe he's really not that good. :shrug:

JayRedd
07-29-2006, 06:24 PM

I'm pretty perplexed as to why any one would think $6 million per year is overpaying for Jared Jeffries. Isn't that half what Larry Hughes got?

$6 mill per is about the same that teams are paying Eric Snow, Hedo Turkaglu, Brian Cardinal and Dan Gadzuric.

Seriously. Nene and Peja are getting their absurd types of deals and yall think $6 million per is overpaying for Jared Jeffries in this League? I'm shocked. Sounds like a bargain to me. I would have been thrilled to see us make this offer if we didn't already have enough SFs.

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
6 million is a good deal for a player than can play all 5 positions (does play 3) is the only willing defender on a team, can rebound and pass well and ges an occasional highlight dunk.

grace
07-29-2006, 11:01 PM
6 million is a good deal for a player than can play all 5 positions (does play 3) is the only willing defender on a team, can rebound and pass well and ges an occasional highlight dunk.

Anybody can play all five possitions. The question is can he play any of them well?

Shade
07-29-2006, 11:24 PM
If the Wizards don't match, they're gonna give up 105 PPG.

Anthem
07-29-2006, 11:25 PM
That's right. After December, he can be traded to anybody in the league except New York.

That rule makes no sense to me.

Robertmto
07-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Anybody can play all five possitions. The question is can he play any of them well?

he can play 3 of them well.

Robertmto
08-01-2006, 02:57 PM
On the first day the Wizards could have matched the Knicks' offer sheet to 6-foot-10 defensive small forward Jared Jeffries, they waited. But the chance of Jeffries suiting up for the Knicks remains a longshot.
Two sources close to Ernie Grunfeld told The Post on July 19 that the Wizards GM was confident Jeffries would return to Washington because Grunfeld planned on matching any mid-level offer and did not foresee another team surpassing that reasonable price.

A third source within the Wizards organization confirmed yesterday Grunfeld hoped to match the Knicks' offer for the full $5.2 million mid-level exception. Across five years, that's $30 million. The Wizards would still be under the luxury-tax threshold, meaning they wouldn't have to pay double that amount like the Knicks.

Isiah Thomas incurred no risk tying himself up with the offer and forcing the Wizards' hand. He's in no hurry to use his mid-level exception elsewhere. Plus, Thomas' offer sheet could be viewed as a favor to Jeffries' agent, Andy Miller, who also represents Kevin Garnett. The Timberwolves superstar could in the future demand a trade to the Knicks to reunite with Stephon Marbury.

The Post reported exclusively April 20, well before free-agency began, the Knicks would pursue Jeffries with their mid-level exception to ease their small-forward woes. It's one thing former coach Larry Brown and Thomas agreed upon. They both loved Jeffries' versatility.
Grunfeld did not return phone calls yesterday, but confirmed the offer sheet signed Friday has arrived.

"We have received an offer sheet and we have seven days to respond," Grunfeld said in a statement.

The Wizards recently offered Jeffries, 24, a comparable six-year, $33 million pact. The only slight glitch would be if Miller convinces Grunfeld that Jeffries will be miserable playing for the Wizards. But that does not seem to be the case. Jeffries had a good conversation with the Wizards brass since the signing, according to his agent.
Miller has been outspoken on Jeffries' wish to play for the Knicks, but was noncommittal when asked directly yesterday if his client would be unhappy returning to the Wizards.
"That's hard to say," Miller said. "We spent 31/2 weeks trying to get a deal done with Washington. Then we tried what Jared was most comfortable with, his relationship with Isiah Thomas, whom he's known since he was 12. We signed the sheet with intentions of playing for the Knicks."

just as I expected

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/knicks_unlikely_to_bag_jeffries_knicks_marc_berman .htm

FrenchConnection
08-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Considering all the IU fans on this board I find it hard to believe he's being underrated. Maybe they're just not stepping up to defend him. Or maybe he's really not that good. :shrug:

After they go to the NBA, they are just non-Pacers. But I did expect more out of Jefferies comming out of IU. He shot the ball much better in college. His efficency from the college 3 and good touch around the basket should have translated to a very solid mid-range game in the NBA, but instead he became a role player. But then again, Jeff Foster was a scorer in college too. I think that the reason that he wants to go to New York is to get a bigger role in the offense, much like Ben Wallace's reasoning for his jump to the Bulls.

btowncolt
08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Gag.

Slick Pinkham
08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Wizards aren't going to match-- he's a Knick according to reAL gm