PDA

View Full Version : Does this put Foster back on the trading block?

Anthem
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
I like Foster, but does the signing of Baston put Foster back on the block?

I have to believe that we could get Mags plus something for Jack and Foster.

D-BONE
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't particularly want Mags. Depends on what the something else would be. I'd prefer trying to come up with another return from elsewhere (Sorry no current suggestions!) but I'm more than fine w/ trying to move Foster and obviously Jack if we get something halfway decent back.

EDIT: Another of the myriad possibilites is DH or JF could be going in the ATL deal after all. I can't imagine they'd give DH up and supposedly they no longer want Foster but both names have been bandied about.

Coop
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't think so. I think Baston is just insurance more than anything. Without him, our lineup would be very thin if one or two of our big guys went down. Now, if 2 of our big guys are out, we won't have to play guys like Foster and Harrison 40+ minutes.

Hicks
07-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Maybe Foster is on the block, but I doubt this is what will cause Foster to leave.

Anthem
07-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't think so. I think Baston is just insurance more than anything.
Larry's been scouting him for 2 years. There's plenty of guys that you can find for insurance without going to Europe.

Larry wants him to have a role, which means he'll probably make room for him.

Hicks
07-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I'd make the rotation:

O'Neal/Foster/Harrison
Harrington/Baston

Ralph Snart
07-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I see him backing up the PF spot. Another thing to consider is that we are going to have our host of injuries this year, I think it's foolish to think that we won't have at least one of our big men out for an extended period.

Reading about Baston, it sounds like he is a good defender and an opportunistic scorer. Makes me think of a shorter, better shot blocking Jeff Foster.

Anthem
07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I'd make the rotation:

O'Neal/Foster/Harrison
Harrington/Baston
So Hulk is third string, but Baston is second string? Doesn't seem right to me.

I just really like the idea of Foster and Jack for Mo Williams and Magloire. Maybe we could send Mo to Atlanta as sweetener, and hold on to our own picks?

Coop
07-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Makes me think of a shorter, better shot blocking Jeff Foster.

I was under the impression Baston was 6'10". Am I wrong here?

Steve
07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
The advantage for trading for Mags is that his contract comes off the books after this season. A reasonable way to dump some salary, especially if you can package some players who don't fit your long term plans.

MagicRat
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I thought all milk-drinkers were already on the block?

Hicks
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
According to the Raptors, he's 6'9"

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maceo_baston/printable_player_files.html

CableKC
07-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Sorry...but I don't think that Magliore is that much of an upgrade over Foster....if he was stuck in a contract for at least 2 seasons....then I would be okay with it....but since he's an unrestricted FA next season...any Foster for Magliore move would be considered a single season rental for a Center with no guaranteed return.

I don't see any potential move of Foster tied to the signing of Baston. There is no guarantee that Baston will even work out...or that he would even get significant minutes ( much like the Samalki Walker band-aid that we a couple of seasons ago ).

Foster should only be moved for a Center that is either a significant upgrade or for a somewhat comprable Center with a contract that lasts more then 2 seasons. That way...we are not stuck behind the 8-ball the second he bolts for Free Agency.

Slick Pinkham
07-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Say no to renting Magliore for a year. Too slow and too expensive next offseason.

I guess I can live with almost any move that gets Jax out, though.

Mushmouth
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I was under the impression Baston was 6'10". Am I wrong here?

I remember him as a really poor man's JYD.

rexnom
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Isn't this what Donnie meant? We need about five big guys in the front court.

I see the rotation more as:

JO/Foster/Harrison
Al/Foster/Baston

jjbjjbjjb
07-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Maybe more than meaning Foster is on the block, this means that Pollard won't be resigned.

CableKC
07-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Maybe more than meaning Foster is on the block, this means that Pollard won't be resigned.

I thought that Pollard was a decent Low-Post defender. If so...I would hope that we do resign him. :shrug:

Young
07-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't think that Baston makes Foster expandable. As Hicks said Baston is just insurance, or atleast that is what is most likely, IMO.

I think that Foster will be shopped but I don't think that Baston will force Foster out of Indiana.

LoneGranger33
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Foster is the only remaining fan favorite...you can't trade that guy he's all hustle...and damn, he looks good doing it too...

|
|
V

Gamble
07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I would hope Foster stays unless we get a legit center that is able to do more
than just one thing. We will still need a guy to battle with true centers
and don't give me Harrison bc he's still a year away.

On top of that Harrison would be our only meaty center unless Pollard comes
back.

Destined4Greatness
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
People are really delusional. THe dude will be a scrub. People said AJ was expendable last year when we got the freaking MVP from that team and look what happened. Signing some scrub from Europe makes nobody on this team expendable.

Frank Slade
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Foster is the only remaining fan favorite...you can't trade that guy he's all hustle...and damn, he looks good doing it too...

|
|
V

You forgot the Gift :tsk:

:granger: .

PacerMan
07-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I see him backing up the PF spot. Another thing to consider is that we are going to have our host of injuries this year, I think it's foolish to think that we won't have at least one of our big men out for an extended period.

Reading about Baston, it sounds like he is a good defender and an opportunistic scorer. Makes me think of a shorter, better shot blocking Jeff Foster.

No way. He was an offensive minded kid at MI. Very thin with good offense. Not much D.