View Full Version : What’s Going On With Harrington Deal? {Bruno's Q.O.D} 7/28

Frank Slade
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
What’s Going On With Harrington Deal?

Friday, July 28, 2006
QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. I can't help wondering: how long does a trade take? I don't think I've ever seen a well-publicized ongoing trade discussion go on this long – particularly when we all know that the Warriors have backed out. When can we expect this to get done? I've read in The (Indianapolis) Star that even if the Harrington deal ever goes through management is making "all the wrong moves" and the team is lottery-bound. I don't buy it, but here's my two cents: get the deal done, finish working out the point guard position, then this team will be in position to go far. I love the idea of (Jermaine) O'Neal, (Danny) Granger and (Al) Harrington in the frontcourt, but the idea is starting to get old. So how long does a trade take? (From Rupert in Houston)

A. Under ideal circumstances, trading in the NBA is a much more complicated process than in any other major sport because of the intricacies of the salary cap. That said, these are less than ideal circumstances. Atlanta has an unsettled ownership situation because one of the former owners has filed a lawsuit in hopes of re-acquiring controlling interest in the franchise. That leaves Hawks General Manager Billy Knight in a tough spot, uncertain who's going to be writing the checks and ruling on the major decisions. And moving a player of Harrington's ability certainly qualifies is a big one for Knight and the franchise.

Circumstances certainly point to a deal being made at some point. The Pacers have the trump card in the form of the $7.5 million trade exception acquired when Peja Stojakovic moved to the Hornets. Without it, they'd have little or no chance to trade for a player of Harrington's ability. Because they have it, apparently no other teams are competing with them for his services. As you mentioned, Golden State was in the running but reportedly has pulled out, effectively conceding the battle. Harrington wants very badly to return to his NBA home. The Pacers want him back. Ordinarily, when those two factors coincide, a deal gets done. All indications point to this one being wrapped up at some point.

When that day will arrive, however, is very much up in the air. Rupert, you're one of the most knowledgeable fans around; surely you remember the Joe Johnson deal last summer. That one was rumored for two months before the Hawks and Suns were able to complete the trade in mid-to-late August. The reason for the delay then is the same as now: problems in Atlanta's ownership group. And so we must wait. Though the eagerness of anticipation may wear off before this deal can be concluded – in fact, it probably already has for most fans – that shouldn't diminish the value and importance of acquiring a player of Harrington's talent.

Pacers.Com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060728.html)

Bball
07-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Wow... That's a lot of words to say nothing at all.

-Bball

Hicks
07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Wow... That's a lot of words to say nothing at all.

-Bball

Seriously, what the hell do you want? I have never seen you satisfied.

Bball
07-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Seriously, what the hell do you want? I have never seen you satisfied.

We've already seen much more info than that. You could know absolutely nothing at all about what is going on and have written that. If that's the best that Bruno could do to shed light on the subject, then why even bother?

He could've confirmed or put to rest some of the existing info that is out there and he didn't even mention things like Edwards, the cash offering, etc... whether it's all still being negotiated or whether the offers were on the table awaiting some movement from one side or the other.

He didn't have to name names but he could've confirmed (or denied) Atlanta wanted to dump another player in the deal or that they did or did not want a player (or pick) back.

So, no... I want a helluva lot more than that at this point. The bunny wasn't as fluffy as that.

-Bball