PDA

View Full Version : Star} Indiana has put its trade offer on the table and awaits Atlanta's decision

Will Galen
07-28-2006, 02:51 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/SPORTS04/607280408/1088

July 28, 2006

Pacers play a waiting game
Indiana has put its trade offer on the table for Harrington and awaits Atlanta's decision
By Mark Montieth

The expectation remains that the Indiana Pacers will work out a trade with Atlanta for Al Harrington.

When that happens, however, is anybody's guess.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh and Atlanta general manager Billy Knight -- a former player for the Pacers and assistant to Walsh -- have engaged in a near monthlong standoff that has featured as much waiting as conversation. "We're dealing with him," Walsh said. "We've been dealing with him. It's up to Billy now. We're just waiting to hear where we are."

Knight has steadfastly refused to comment on the issue other than to decline comment.

"It's counterproductive to negotiate through the papers," he said when reached on his cell phone Thursday. "I'll let it play out the way it's going to play out."

Harrington's agent, Andy Miller, expressed frustration with the delayed negotiation in an interview Thursday with the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "Obviously we're disappointed at the pace of the transaction," Miller said. "But I will say that everybody is working diligently to find a solution to execute."

The Pacers are the only franchise negotiating for Harrington, who played the first six seasons of his NBA career with them. Atlanta does not want to take back salaries, and the Pacers are armed with a $7.5 million trade exception acquired in the deal that sent Peja Stojakovic to the New Orleans Hornets.

The Pacers have offered the exception and a combination of money -- reportedly about $3 million -- and a future draft pick for Harrington. The Pacers also might receive another Hawks player.

Harrington in turn would sign a long-term contract that starts at $7.6 million and increases.

The Hawks appear to have little incentive to move quickly and nothing to lose by holding out in hopes of a better offer.

The Pacers, however, could decide to use their exception in another trade.

"I have hope it can get straightened out sooner rather than later," Walsh said. "That's important to us. But I don't think we've reached a point where we say, 'Oh, we have to get it done or we can't use the exception.' "

The negotiation is complicated by the uncertainty surrounding the Hawks' ownership. Steve Belkin, a former co-owner, has filed a lawsuit against Atlanta's current owners to regain control of the franchise. An out-of-court settlement remains possible, but for now Knight knows only that he is to keep his payroll down.

The wait has tried the patience of several people. Harrington, eager to return to the Pacers, has disconnected his cell number. His stepfather, Aaron Lawton, a member of the security staff at Conseco Fieldhouse, also has stopped taking calls from the media.

Others connected to the negotiation merely offer a stream of no comments. "We'll just keep working on it and see if we can get it done," Walsh said. "These things take time sometimes."

White injured

James White, the Pacers' second-round draft pick, suffered a badly sprained ankle during a workout at Conseco Fieldhouse on Wednesday, and will miss about a month.

White was injured during a half-court pickup game when he attempted to block a shot by Rawle Marshall, who was acquired from Dallas in the deal that sent Anthony Johnson to the Mavericks.

Walsh said White should be fully recovered by the start of training camp.

jjbjjbjjb
07-28-2006, 02:55 AM
Blah to the Flight injury.

So how good is the Pacers' training staff?

Will Galen
07-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Knight appears to be biting the hand that would have fed him.

If Steve Belkin wins the court battle then Knight is out the door because he didn't care for Knight.

Knight also doesn't have the best reputation around the NBA as a general manager. He needed a point guard last year and passed on Paul and a bunch of other good points, then traded two #1 draft picks and Boris Diaw for Joe Johnson to play the point. (They just signed Speedy Claxton to play point) Then this year he makes a commitment to a player he could have gotten with Atlanta's fifth pick anyway.

The Pacers would likely have been interested in giving him a job in some capacity since he's a former Pacer with management experience, but Donnie appears to be a bit ticked off with him about the pace of negotiations.

Anthem
07-28-2006, 03:42 AM

If Steve Belkin wins the court battle then Knight is out the door because he didn't care for Knight.

Knight also doesn't have the best reputation around the NBA as a general manager. He needed a point guard last year and passed on Paul and a bunch of other good points, then traded two #1 draft picks and Boris Diaw for Joe Johnson to play the point. (They just signed Speedy Claxton to play point) Then this year he makes a commitment to a player he could have gotten with Atlanta's fifth pick anyway.

The Pacers would likely have been interested in giving him a job in some capacity since he's a former Pacer with management experience, but Donnie appears to be a bit ticked off with him about the pace of negotiations.
He obviously doesn't read the Bible enough. :devil:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2016:1-9;&version=31;

In case anyone was wondering, God is NOT an Atlanta Hawks fan.

Mourning
07-28-2006, 04:31 AM
Why don't we return the favour to BK and start negotiating with say the Sonics for Wilcox now too? I'm sure they are interested in acquiring that TE and a pick too now that ownership is changing and they are relocating.

Seems to me we have an alternative here that we should start to go for, so BK knows that we DO have a backup plan and aren't totally depending on him (and he thus hasn't got us on the ropes).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Jermaniac
07-28-2006, 04:37 AM
Cause Chris Wilcox sucks?

Mourning
07-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Cause Chris Wilcox sucks?

The idea is to put more pressure on Knight by letting him know we DO have other options. Since, we are his best option now, he might want to change his stance a little then.

AnotherBirdCreation
07-28-2006, 05:54 AM
The idea is to put more pressure on Knight by letting him know we DO have other options. Since, we are his best option now, he might want to change his stance a little then.

I say just give in so we can attend to other business. Giving up trade exceptions, a first rounder, $3 mil, and taking back a million dollar-filler salary is a small price to pay to get possibly the best FA of the summer signed for 6 years.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-28-2006, 06:16 AM
how much longer we sit here wait for this get over with today is friday ! then we have wait other week for this damn Billy Knight damn him!!ahh!!:mad: :censored: :neutral: :pissed: :punch:...

DisplacedKnick
07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Why don't we return the favour to BK and start negotiating with say the Sonics for Wilcox now too? I'm sure they are interested in acquiring that TE and a pick too now that ownership is changing and they are relocating.

Seems to me we have an alternative here that we should start to go for, so BK knows that we DO have a backup plan and aren't totally depending on him (and he thus hasn't got us on the ropes).

Regards,

LOL - I haven't paid much attention to the Sonics but last winter there was a lot of talk that they were looking to deal Rashard Lewis because they didn't think they'd be able to pay him what he'll want next summer.

I don't know if they still feel that way but I'd at least throw, say, the TE and Foster at them for Lewis and see what they say.

Mourning
07-28-2006, 10:22 AM
LOL - I haven't paid much attention to the Sonics but last winter there was a lot of talk that they were looking to deal Rashard Lewis because they didn't think they'd be able to pay him what he'll want next summer.

I don't know if they still feel that way but I'd at least throw, say, the TE and Foster at them for Lewis and see what they say.

Yes, that would be another good option IF we could use the TE for it (I have no idea if we can though).

Hell, together with Foster I would even include a second rounder and some cash with it. I value Lewis higher then Al. How do you guys see this?

Problem could be Lewis has a player option next summer, right? That's the sort of stuff I DON'T LIKE.

Regards,

grace
07-28-2006, 11:00 AM
So how good is the Pacers' training staff?

It's non-existent as far as I'm concerned. I have more faith in the chick who is the trainer for the Fever.

DisplacedKnick
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Yes, that would be another good option IF we could use the TE for it (I have no idea if we can though).

Hell, together with Foster I would even include a second rounder and some cash with it. I value Lewis higher then Al. How do you guys see this?

Problem could be Lewis has a player option next summer, right? That's the sort of stuff I DON'T LIKE.

Regards,

Yeah - the Sonics think he'll ask for the max which would be about a $4 million raise. I don't happen to think he'll get that much but he probably will get a raise - something starting around 12 or so.

But if you ask me if I'd rather pay Lewis 12 million or Harrington 8 I'd take Lewis, easy. They're basically the same age (Lewis is 6 months older) and Lewis is much more versatile plus he shoots 40% from 3 which is something you're desparate for.

Besides, shouldn't your team have a quota of "Players who were solid role players on winners and were traded to Atlanta where they could average 18 ppg on a horrible team" kind of guys?

Al Harrington's a good player. I don't happen to think he'll be that much of a difference-maker for Indiana - unless you think JO's injury-prone and likely to miss 20-30 games. Then you've made a big upgrade.

But I don't even know if the Sonics are still looking to move Lewis. May be they've changed their minds.

Bball
07-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I just noticed that in the Indy Star print edition they titled this article:
Pacers play deal or no deal.

Somebody must've missed the memo about not making this sound like we've hit the brick wall.

-Bball

Ralph Snart
07-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I say if this goes on much longer, the Pacers should just walk. Taking on John Edwards plus getting the exemption plus getting a pick is a lot when all they are doing is signing Harrington and shipping him over to our books. They are doing very little of consequence, other than helping one of their former players get a contract that reflects his actual worth.

Frankly, they should be happy with what they get. If they want to strong arm us, I say we walk. With the trade exemption we have, there are plenty of other opportunities out there. Harringotn may be the one guy in FA, but he's not the only guy out there. And who knows, maybe he'll suck it up and sign for the MLE.

If the Pacers do cave, and give up a first, I'm going to be pissed. Has there ever been an example, in the history of the league, where a team hasn't regreted giving up a first round pick?

DisplacedKnick
07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
If the Pacers do cave, and give up a first, I'm going to be pissed. Has there ever been an example, in the history of the league, where a team hasn't regreted giving up a first round pick?

LA Clippers for Brand? I'm sure there are probably others.

Ralph Snart
07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
LA Clippers for Brand? I'm sure there are probably others.

Yeah, you're probably right. I tend to be hyperbolic (is that a word?)

But still, Harrington is not Elton Brand.

redwillow
07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm not ready to give up on the Al deal. BK will sign the paper soon. Lewis would make a graet Pacer. He could wear #31 and buzz some stair steps in his hair.

Destined4Greatness
07-28-2006, 03:36 PM
He'll sign soon, nobody else is going to offer. Although the sooner the better.

CableKC
07-28-2006, 03:46 PM

I guess BK just doesn't get the point :rimshot:

CableKC
07-28-2006, 03:48 PM

I say they laugh at us....:zip:

CableKC
07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
He'll sign soon, nobody else is going to offer. Although the sooner the better.

It all depends on how desperate BK wants to get back as little as possible ( in terms of players compared to $$$$. Draft picks ). I would think that the Warriors would still offer something.....in fact....I'm sure Mullin has left several voicemails along the lines of...."if dealing with Donnie doesn't work out......you can give me a call..." :shrug:

FrenchConnection
07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
It all depends on how desperate BK wants to get back as little as possible ( in terms of players compared to $$$$. Draft picks ). I would think that the Warriors would still offer something.....in fact....I'm sure Mullin has left several voicemails along the lines of...."if dealing with Donnie doesn't work out......you can give me a call..." :shrug:

If the sticking point is the money, they will get it worked out. I think that soon enough, Al will be a Pacer. If it is the draft pick, then we may have a problem.

Pacersfan.
07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Hawks have to deal with the Pacers because the new owndership doesn't want anymore contracts and they don't want to let Al walk away with them getting nothing.

haloguy
07-28-2006, 04:27 PM
I say just give in so we can attend to other business. Giving up trade exceptions, a first rounder, $3 mil, and taking back a million dollar-filler salary is a small price to pay to get possibly the best FA of the summer signed for 6 years.
The best fa of the summer was ben wallace.
This thing better get done soon. I hope it gets done soon:(

blanket
07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
The best fa of the summer was ben wallace.
This thing better get done soon. I hope it gets done soon:(

Well, he did say *possibly*. Ben, Al, Peja and Terry have next season (and the rest of their contracts) to show who was the best talent available this summer. Since Al is just 25, he's got a shot at taking that title.

DisplacedKnick
07-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, he did say *possibly*. Ben, Al, Peja and Terry have next season (and the rest of their contracts) to show who was the best talent available this summer. Since Al is just 25, he's got a shot at taking that title.

If Indy gets him, Pacer fans better just hope he can take the title of:

Best role player from a winning team who went to Atlanta and scored 18ppg and then was traded to Indiana.

I'm not 100% convinced that will even happen though I'd say odds are in favor of it.

As for Harrington ever being better than a 3-time DPOY ... :crazy:

BlueNGold
07-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Ben > Terry > Peja >> Al

blanket
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
As for Harrington ever being better than a 3-time DPOY ... :crazy:

At this stage of their carrers and for the duration of their contracts? It's possible. And that was the thrust of the discussion, not who has had the better career so far, or who will have the best career overall.

DisplacedKnick
07-28-2006, 05:50 PM
At this stage of their carrers and for the duration of their contracts? It's possible. And that was the thrust of the discussion, not who has had the better career so far, or who will have the best career overall.

Anything is possible. However the probability of Al Harrington being better than Ben Wallace is so small as to approach zero.

blanket
07-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Anything is possible. However the probability of Al Harrington being better than Ben Wallace is so small as to approach zero.

Lloyd: What are the chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance...

:tongue:

DisplacedKnick
07-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Lloyd: What are the chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance...

:tongue:

LOL! :laugh: