PDA

View Full Version : Harrington Deal Close but Stalling

PacerFan31
07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
The terms of the sign-and-trade deal that will send Hawks free agent Al Harrington to Indiana are nearly done, according to two people familiar with the negotiations.

The Hawks will sign Harrington to a six-year deal worth an estimated $60 million and then send him and reserve center John Edwards, both former Pacers, back to Indiana in exchange for cash, a future draft pick and a trade exception.
AP
(ENLARGE)
Al Harrington might be headed back to the Pacers, his original team.

The sticking point of the deal is the cash the Hawks will receive according to those familiar with the negotiations. The Hawks want more than the Pacers are willing to give. A deal for Harrington has stalled nearly a month after the NBA's free-agent negotiating period began.

"No, there is no deal. There is nothing new to report," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Thursday afternoon.

While frustrated fans continue to wonder how long it will take for the deal to be done, Knight said he's not experiencing the same frustrations.

"I'm not exasperated at all," he said. "All you can do is see what happens at the end of the day and just let this thing play out."

The Hawks don't appear to be in any rush to finish the deal, something that's become a part of their operating procedures the past two summers due in part to their ongoing ownership dispute.

Last summer's major transaction, the sign-and-trade of captain Joe Johnson, wasn't completed until Aug. 19, just six weeks before training camp.

"Obviously we're disappointed at the pace of the transaction," Harrington's New York-based agent Andy Miller said Thursday, "but I will say that everybody is working diligently to find a solution to execute."

Calls to Harrington and Edwards were not returned.

The Hawks' preference for a draft pick and cash instead of players illustrates their desire to maintain the salary cap flexibility they've built up since they began dismantling a bloated payroll at the trade deadline of the 2003-04 season.

Harrington is the key to the Pacers' summer roster reorganization. The eight-year veteran began his career with the Pacers after they drafted him with the 25th pick in the 1998 draft.

The Pacers secured a $7.5 million trade exception in an earlier sign-and-trade deal with New Orleans/Oklahoma City that allows them to make the deal with the Hawks.

They're over the NBA's salary cap and would not be able to acquire Harrington without it.

Pacers president Donnie Walsh told the Indianapolis Star on Thursday that they are waiting on Knight.

"It's up to Billy now," he said.

"We're just waiting to here where we are. I have hope it can get straightened out, sooner rather than later. That's important to us. But I don't think we've reached a point where we say 'We have to get it done or we can't use the [trade] exception.'

"We'll just keep working on it and see if we can get it done."

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/0728harrington.html

Pacersfan.
07-27-2006, 11:03 PM
This article is by Sekou Smith so the deal must really be nearing.

Bball
07-27-2006, 11:05 PM
hear or here... That is the question.

-Bball

Pacersfan.
07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
hear or here... That is the question.

-Bball

Haha, noticed that too...looks like the editors have fallen off the face of the earth.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM
john edwards?? come on Billy Knight ! get this over with so everyone goes home happy

rel
07-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Yay...JOHN EDWARDS is coming home...

oh yeah...and Al Harrington too

:)

Kstat
07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
JOHN EDWARDS :lmao:

JBones19
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
YES JOHN EDWARDS BACK IN A PACER UNIFORM! I hear he is a great locker room leader and that he has his own psychic TV show called "Crossing Over."

Only good can come from this.

pizza guy
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
We get the veep back?!?!?!

I've been sort of against this deal since the beginning, but if we can get the big JE back, then there's no way you can turn this down!

Screw Pedro, I'm definately voting for :edwards: !!

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Aww ****. I don't want to have to look at Edwards again for another full season.

Shade
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM

QFT :lol:

LG33
07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
what does that mean for scot pollard? any chance we're going to get back my man Primoz too??

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 11:37 PM
So Billy not only wants more cash back, but wants us to take on John's salary?

Billy shouldn't have been an idiot in the first place and signed the veep.

But who cares, the shriveled grape is returning!!!!

Unclebuck
07-27-2006, 11:41 PM
I can't believe BK is making us take one of the worst free agent signings in NBA history.

I half expect to read next week that the Hawks have signed Eddie Gill to a 3 year 13.5 million dollar contract.

Thankfully I'm not a Hawks fan

Will Galen
07-28-2006, 12:01 AM
I can't believe BK is making us take one of the worst free agent signings in NBA history.

I half expect to read next week that the Hawks have signed Eddie Gill to a 3 year 13.5 million dollar contract.

Thankfully I'm not a Hawks fan

John Edwards has one year to go and makes $1,008,000, and he's not even close to being one of the worst free agent signings in NBA history!

There's lots of worse contracts than his. How would you like to be paying Brian Grant $17 m?

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-28-2006, 12:10 AM
how much longer we sit here wait for this get over with tmw is friday ! then we have wait other week for this ahh!!:mad: :censored: :neutral: :pissed: :punch:...

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Talk about cancer.

Did you see the guy play in the 6 man Magic game post-brawl. He was the only guy that struggled to get playing time when only 6 guys could play and one of those was Eddie Gill. :-o

Edwards being sent back is probably what Walsh refuses to accept and what BK is holding out for. ;)

BK: "....and Edwards."

DW: "NO!"

BK: ".........hmmm....what about......."

DW: "Don't say it."

BK: "....I'm just thinking..........................."

DW: "I mean it, don't."

BK: "...now just hold on....let's try this angle......."

DW: "It's not going to happen."

BK: "What, you don't even know what I'm going to say. Give me a second here."

DW: "Alright. But just don't try it."

BK: "Do you feel better? Are you calm? Is your mind open now and ready to deal?"

DW: "Yes. Go ahead."

BK: ".............................."

DW: "WELL?!?!"

BK: "......................"

DW: :tap:

BK: "John Edwards"

DW: :censored: :swear: :censored: :growl: :censored: :banghead:

SoupIsGood
07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
http://www.panicbuttons.com/images/panic-button.jpg

Young
07-28-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm guessing that Edward's contract isn't guaranteed, but IDK for sure.

We could still cut him, although we would have to pay him still I think that we would still be far enough from the LT that it wouldn't really matter.

Frank Slade
07-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I heard John Edwards is a Milk Drinker ! :spy: So I can't see this working

Jay Ohh
07-28-2006, 12:19 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22687

Anyone remember this? I thought it was supposed to be done last Monday?

Young
07-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Edwards being sent back is probably what Walsh refuses to accept and why BK is holding out for. ;)

That's right.

Walsh wants to have a roster spot open so that we can be free to sign Bo Outlaw as our second baby sitter.

Eindar
07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22687

Anyone remember this? I thought it was supposed to be done last Monday?

That reminds me, I need to go put him on ignore :)

IUColtPacerFan
07-28-2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.panicbuttons.com/images/panic-button.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

For you and Seth both.

Bball
07-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Walsh is probably trying to get Edwards thrown into the deal and waiting for BK to agree. Walsh loves to have a 7'er that will never play setting at the end of the bench.... apparently...

-Bball

Peck
07-28-2006, 01:44 AM
In a related note I watched the Atlanta summer league game the other night vs San Antonio & while watching I came to the conclusion that John Edwards free throw form makes Shaq look like Calvin Murphy.

Bball
07-28-2006, 03:00 AM
In a related note I watched the Atlanta summer league game the other night

You really do miss basketball season, don't you?

-Bball