PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi Article, Star Press (7-26)

joey
07-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Looks like Wells is still looking at coming home to Indiana...

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> "I'd love to come home," he said. "When I was younger, I would have told you it wouldn't have been a problem, but I would have been lying. Now, I'm older, more mature. I understand who my friends are, and at this point in my life it would be fine." </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Complete Article: http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbc...607270347/1006 (http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/SPORTS/607270347/1006)

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-27-2006, 09:10 PM
i wouldnt mind wells just put his issues out the door then im welcome him.. but i rather al

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Were will Bonzi find minutes?

joey
07-27-2006, 09:15 PM

He said he didn't have a problem coming off the bench last year when Kevin Martin was playing so well... but I'm assuming that Stephen Jackson would have to be shipped to make room for Wells.

Frank Slade
07-27-2006, 09:17 PM
He said he didn't have a problem coming off the bench last year when Kevin Martin was playing so well... but I'm assuming that Stephen Jackson would have to be shipped to make room for Wells.

I am not opposed totally to Bonzi, but we need shooters right now, not scorers.

Hicks
07-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Good thing Donnie and Larry have 0 interest in return.

joey
07-27-2006, 09:22 PM

Actually, if you believe Bonzi's agent, that's not true...

Wells's agent, William Phillips, said Wednesday that six teams are still in the mix. He declined to name all six teams, but he said the Indiana Pacers are still among them.

[From the Article]

bambam
07-27-2006, 09:24 PM
mna next time i see him at the golf course, which is about 3 times a week, i have to ask him if he would sign the MLE.

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM
People are way too paranoid after Ron. Bonzi coming:

-He's at home. Is he really going to start **** in a place he loves?
-Great post player. Already proven that JO and another guy like that can work with Ron
-Should be great for chemistry. Bonzi, JO, and Al are all friends.
-Rebounder which we desperately need
-Defender at the two. Granger and Bonzi is sick and you all know it
-We can probably get him cheap
-He wants to be here

There aren't many chances to get a player like him for the MLE. Better take advantage of it if we can while we can.

vapacersfan
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM

[From the Article]

Why would anyone beleive ANYTHING that an agent says?

AnotherBirdCreation
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM

I think Donnie meant that they were not interested in trading for Bonzi. After what he did in last year's playoffs -- which was dominate against Bowen, Manu, or anyone else who tried to check him -- we'd be foolish not to look at him at the MLE. Maybe THIS is why we let Freddie walk and traded A.J. to clear space (along with getting Darryl Day Care). $5-6 mil for Bonzi is a steal.

Hicks
07-27-2006, 09:37 PM

I don't believe his agent. Especially not when Donnie indirectly hints that he's lying.

*Reporter brings up to Walsh their supposed interest in Bonzi Wells and Al Harrington*

Walsh: (paraphrasing) "I'll say that we definitely have interest in one of them and absolutely none in the other."

vapacersfan
07-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I think Donnie meant that they were not interested in trading for Bonzi. After what he did in last year's playoffs -- which was dominate against Bowen, Manu, or anyone else who tried to check him -- we'd be foolish not to look at him at the MLE. Maybe THIS is why we let Freddie walk and traded A.J. to clear space (along with getting Darryl Day Care). $5-6 mil for Bonzi is a steal.

I am really tired of hearing about Bonzi, and I will be thrilled when someone else signs him (contract year player much?) but after reading your post I couldnt help but remember the last thread I read about Bonzi:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22129&highlight=Bonzi

Horseman872
07-27-2006, 09:50 PM
We get the MLE every year and thats not likely to change anytime soon. And the best FA left is Bonzi, so why not use it? This is a rare opportunity, and he doesn't need to be integral to our team. He's like icing on our cake. So if he screws up, bottom of the bench he goes. I don't have a problem with bringing him in for the MLE, anything more...then I might be worried.

joey
07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
As it stands, we have only 1 of the top 50 offensive rebounders in the NBA (#3 Jeff Foster)... adding #16 would be nice.

btw, Jermaine is #57 & Danny is #78 for the curious... Oh.. and Al is #75

Since86
07-27-2006, 10:04 PM
mna next time i see him at the golf course, which is about 3 times a week, i have to ask him if he would sign the MLE.

Do you see him at Hickory Hills?

pizza guy
07-27-2006, 10:34 PM
WE DON'T NEED BONZI!!!

We've got Jackson already. Why add another poor shooting, poor attitude player to our roster?

He's friends with JO? Yeah, I'm sure that's a good reason to add him. While we're at it, let's get Sheed and Brian Grant. JO have any other friends? Call 'em up, see what we can do!

Occasionaly, you must remember that this is a BALL club, not just a club. If JO's friends want to hang out with him, they can go to 7 - not become members of our team. As an NBA team, the goal is to win games, and ultimately championships - not just have a good time.

No Bonzi Wells.

aero
07-27-2006, 10:37 PM

Id start Bonzi over SJax any day of the week

PacerMan
07-27-2006, 10:39 PM
The man's a cancer. Pure and simple.

Chauncey
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM

And twice on Sundays.

I'm starting to come around on the idea of Bonzi. I have a special insight because of my age and being from Muncie (figure it out, people). I've heard from far more than one person that the guy I knew for so long doesn't exist anymore.

There would definitely still be times where he acts a fool on the court, but the man has passion and he's not a complete idiot so you don't have to worry about an Artest-sized blow up.

When you fall off the horse, you either get back on it or you never ride again. It might be time for the Pacers to get back on that damn horse and stop being paranoid that every non-perfect citizen is going to pull an Artest.

There's only one psycho that crazy and he's playing in Sacramento now.

Pacersfan.
07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Just curious, when was the last time Bonzi had an "incident".

vapacersfan
07-27-2006, 10:50 PM
And twice on Sundays.

I'm starting to come around on the idea of Bonzi. I have a special insight because of my age and being from Muncie (figure it out, people). I've heard from far more than one person that the guy I knew for so long doesn't exist anymore.

There would definitely still be times where he acts a fool on the court, but the man has passion and he's not a complete idiot so you don't have to worry about an Artest-sized blow up.

When you fall off the horse, you either get back on it or you never ride again. It might be time for the Pacers to get back on that damn horse and stop being paranoid that every non-perfect citizen is going to pull an Artest.

There's only one psycho that crazy and he's playing in Sacramento now.

I agree the Pacers do need to not let the Artest situation hold them back and be afraid to make that "big" move that may win us a 'chip (see Sheed trade in Detroit), but Im not sure Bonzi is the right person to make that risk with.

vapacersfan
07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Just curious, when was the last time Bonzi had an "incident".

This is from the other thread, but this is the last thing I could find anywhere. Granted, I havent followed him much:

2005-July-Bonzi is a changed man, Right. Read this:

http://www.truehoop.com/sacramento-k...ew-leaves.html (http://www.truehoop.com/sacramento-kings-8103-bonzi-wells-keeps-turning-over-new-leaves.html)

"Bonzi will change here," one of the print reporters told me, "Jerry West won't put up with him if he doesn't. Plus, Portland was the wrong environment for him. Too much media scrutiny."

I wandered further down the hall, where there was a back door to the arena and who should I find standing there?

Bonzi himself. He was asking a security guard how he could get from the hallway to the locker room without having to pass the media who were all there to welcome him to Memphis.

Then, he saw me and we exchanged out usual hello.

"Hi Bonzi," I said.

"You're a punk (expletive) (expletive)," he said.

Now that Wells is reportedly off to the west coast, Canzano closes with "Good luck Sacramento."

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
2006: March, fined $5000 for punching a ball into the fans in protest of a call against him.

Since86
07-27-2006, 10:53 PM
i dont think thats really an "incident" though.

I would hate to be judged on what I say to people that I really dislike, and it sounds like genuine dislike for that person,

LG33
07-27-2006, 11:24 PM
we should definitely pick up Bonzi Wells...he can't be half as bad as Jackson and anyone that wants to play here is welcome to do so in my opinion...plus, it should **** off Artest and I'm all for that...

we should also add Rick Adelman to our coaching staff

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
This is from the other thread, but this is the last thing I could find anywhere. Granted, I havent followed him much:

2005-July-Bonzi is a changed man, Right. Read this:

http://www.truehoop.com/sacramento-k...ew-leaves.html (http://www.truehoop.com/sacramento-kings-8103-bonzi-wells-keeps-turning-over-new-leaves.html)

"Bonzi will change here," one of the print reporters told me, "Jerry West won't put up with him if he doesn't. Plus, Portland was the wrong environment for him. Too much media scrutiny."

I wandered further down the hall, where there was a back door to the arena and who should I find standing there?

Bonzi himself. He was asking a security guard how he could get from the hallway to the locker room without having to pass the media who were all there to welcome him to Memphis.

Then, he saw me and we exchanged out usual hello.

"Hi Bonzi," I said.

"You're a punk (expletive) (expletive)," he said.

Now that Wells is reportedly off to the west coast, Canzano closes with "Good luck Sacramento."

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
2006: March, fined $5000 for punching a ball into the fans in protest of a call against him.

What, am I the only one who thinks that's awesome?

Shade
07-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Bonzi is kind of in a tough spot. The odds of a S&T are pretty low because the Kings don't want to exceed the lux tax, which is the main reason they decided to let him walk. So they're unlikely to do a S&T.

The teams that could sign him outright don't appear to be interested in him, either.

So, he'll probably have to sign for the MLE. Thing is, if he's forced into that route, the Pacers would probably be one of his top choices.

We may end up with Bonzi whether we like it or not. :shrug:

Eindar
07-27-2006, 11:32 PM
I think if you can't get a servicable big (Wilcox, Gooden, Ely, Jeffries) or upgrade at PG with the MLE, you have to take a hard look at Bonzi. It's the MLE equivalent of "Best talent available".

Shade
07-27-2006, 11:35 PM
we should definitely pick up Bonzi Wells...he can't be half as bad as Jackson and anyone that wants to play here is welcome to do so in my opinion...plus, it should **** off Artest and I'm all for that...

As far as character, Bonzi is MUCH worse than Jack. That should tell you quite a bit right there.

Unclebuck
07-27-2006, 11:42 PM
This seems ripe for the Knicks to sign him for the MLE.

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM

and you think Jax is a cancer now??

:rolleyes:

bambam
07-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Do you see him at Hickory Hills?
The Players Club @ Woodlands Yorktown

Eindar
07-28-2006, 12:35 AM
This seems ripe for the Knicks to sign him for the MLE.

The sad part is, that would make LOT of sense for the Knicks, since they don't really have anyone who can play in the post currently, unless we're counting Eddy Curry.

blanket
07-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Bonzi is kind of in a tough spot. The odds of a S&T are pretty low because the Kings don't want to exceed the lux tax, which is the main reason they decided to let him walk. So they're unlikely to do a S&T.

The teams that could sign him outright don't appear to be interested in him, either.

So, he'll probably have to sign for the MLE. Thing is, if he's forced into that route, the Pacers would probably be one of his top choices.

We may end up with Bonzi whether we like it or not. :shrug:

Actually, we could offer them a S&T scenario that wouldn't require them to take on more salary than they already intended to by offering him a little over the MLE: send them Jax or Foster plus the two players from Dallas with non-guaranteed contracts. That way they can drop about $1m by waiving those two players.

Lbuckingham
07-28-2006, 12:58 AM
I am getting a little tired of the Bonzi talk as well as others. But with that said, if you have the chance to add the 4th of the 4 horseman Al,JO,Jack, and Bonzi, you do it. If Bonzi, Jo, Jack, and AL are all best friends, we could do more harm by not signing him....you do remember JO's pleads for Bonzi during the Artest trade?

Once we decided to build around JO, and to trade for Al, I think we also must have come to grips with the idea of Bonzi on the team.

If I must make a prediction, whether some like it or not...including myself.

Tins
Jack
Bonzi
Al
JO

will be our starting lineup (when healthy next year)

IUColtPacerFan
07-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Tins
Jack
Bonzi
Al
JO

:lynchmob: :suicide3: :zip:

Lbuckingham
07-28-2006, 01:07 AM
:lynchmob: :suicide3: :zip:

Allow me to join you....while Carlilse enjoys the new and improved black hole offense....
:suicide4: :suicide5:

AnotherBirdCreation
07-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Man, this board is the most negative board in the history of boards sometimes. Bonzi Wells is the most talented player out there now that Al is coming here. Seriously, winning cures a lot of problems and adding Marquis, Bonzi, and Al would make us the most talented team on paper in the East. Bonzi for the MLE is a steal. Maybe nobody else watched the San Antonio series but me. Is there a chance that maybe after his exile from Memphis he grew up?

Jermaniac
07-28-2006, 04:36 AM
Give him the full MLE and then trade Jack

Mourning
07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Man, this board is the most negative board in the history of boards sometimes. Bonzi Wells is the most talented player out there now that Al is coming here. Seriously, winning cures a lot of problems and adding Marquis, Bonzi, and Al would make us the most talented team on paper in the East. Bonzi for the MLE is a steal. Maybe nobody else watched the San Antonio series but me. Is there a chance that maybe after his exile from Memphis he grew up?

Yes, because he would be the only player that played better and "grew up" during a CONTRACT YEAR, that's truly UNIQUE :rolleyes:.

And even though it was a CONTRACT YEAR he managed to get fined for throwing a ball to the fans in an angry outburst, greeeeeat looking forward to having him when he starts acting like a fool again, especially waiting how he would react to the boo'ing (sp?) Stephen got last season :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

AnotherBirdCreation
07-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Yes, because he would be the only player that played better and "grew up" during a CONTRACT YEAR, that's truly UNIQUE :rolleyes:.

And even though it was a CONTRACT YEAR he managed to get fined for throwing a ball to the fans in an angry outburst, greeeeeat looking forward to having him when he starts acting like a fool again, especially waiting how he would react to the boo'ing (sp?) Stephen got last season :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

We just have to agree to disagree here. I feel like he could be the last piece of a special team.

Oh, and ESPN's Marc Stein did confirm our interest in Wells, "It's believed that the Pacers did also explore the idea of making a sign-and-trade run at Indiana native Bonzi Wells earlier this summer..." http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2532200

The Hustler
07-28-2006, 06:38 AM
well if Al is coming here and with J.O aready here ... if bonzi can't cool it here and start playing a role for us he wont anywhere ... im still torn .. ild love the kind of play we saw from him in the playoff .. then again ild hate for the situation where he goes mad someone hits him and in jumps J.O, jax and Al .... sudenly were starting with Tins, Quis, danny, foster and hulk for half the season :(

AesopRockOn
07-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Still saying no to bonzi, mle or not. We want athletic guys with good attitudes who will play hard. Bonzi is athletic.
Btw, your quote says "It's believed..."
You believe it and a few other people do too; so I guess the quote is true.

ChicagoJ
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Give him the full MLE and then trade Jack

Prove to me Jack is gone before we get him and I might (MIGHT) warm up to it.

Who would be sixth man - Bonzi or Daniels?

Bonzi has done a lot of stupid, regrettable things. But I'm not convinced he's disprectful to his coach or causing fistfights in the lockerroom like Artest. I'm not sure if he's bad for team chemistry (especially with so many "buddies" already on our roster) and I think his bballIQ might be higher than a number of our (current) players - (that's not saying much, I know.)

He would not be my top choice, of course. I'm only saying that I might warm up to it.

Part of me wants to see how Ron reacts when the Maloofs don't re-sign Bonzi and the Bonzi goes to Ron's old team. That will be fun. :devil:

I still think his agent is bluffing big-time. I think the Pacers have figured out (and probably correctly) that the risk of catastrophe is still pretty high.

Destined4Greatness
07-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Why would anyone beleive ANYTHING that an agent says?

Exactly, a good agent lies about interest from other teams to stir the pot.

If we can sign him to the MLE and absolutely have to have clause in his contract so that he can be gotten rid of very easily if he does start being poisen. I would be somewhat OK with it. So that when Injuries start occuring we can still put 5 starting caliber players on the court.

But as of now. Harrington and Magloire are who I think the Pacers need to be focused on.

Anthem
07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I'm with everyone else. Bonzi's the top free agent available... I wouldn't mind getting him if we moved Jack first.

Destined4Greatness
07-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I'm with everyone else. Bonzi's the top free agent available... I wouldn't mind getting him if we moved Jack first.

You didn't read the thread did you.

We would have worst Shooting team in history if Bonzi was here and whats going to happen when JO and JT go down hurt. Bonzi is going to be upset that they aren't winning and Whine till we have to trade him. A Leopard can't change his spots.

And to anotherbirdcreation we had the most talent last year and look where we were.

And I really don't get why we are trying to assemble a bunch of guys that JO likes, if the team tanks which is looking like a very good possibility because of no center and Injury concerns already, we will have a ton of JO's friends and no JO.

Since86
07-28-2006, 12:15 PM
The Players Club @ Woodlands Yorktown

He must golf well over once a day.

He's out at Hickory atleast 3times a week, and I've seen his car out at Crestview both times I've went.

pizza guy
07-28-2006, 04:25 PM

Tins
Jack
Bonzi
Al
JO

:suicide3:

The only good part would be Ron losing his buddy to his former team.

Simply, no. We do not need SJax Part II.

haloguy
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM

This has nothing to do with the topic but Ive been saying for years that will smith is robert horry, lol

Naptown_Seth
07-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Occasionaly, you must remember that this is a BALL club, not just a club.You mean this ISN'T the Honeycomb Hideout!!! :disappoin

rabid
07-29-2006, 03:16 AM
I don't believe his agent. Especially not when Donnie indirectly hints that he's lying.

*Reporter brings up to Walsh their supposed interest in Bonzi Wells and Al Harrington*

Walsh: (paraphrasing) "I'll say that we definitely have interest in one of them and absolutely none in the other."

Actually what I think Donnie said was something like "we've had talks regarding one, but none at all about the other." A subtle but important distinction...

rexnom
07-29-2006, 06:26 AM
This has nothing to do with the topic but Ive been saying for years that will smith is robert horry, lol
I think Bill Simmons called it last year when he said something to the effect of
"After Robert Horry performed his latest hit "Switch" before the game, San Antonio..."

Moses
07-29-2006, 11:43 AM
If we ship Jack and get Bonzi for cheap, it's a win win situation.

We get rid of Jack, and if Bonzi doesn't work out..you just release him or bench him for an entire season. I would give Jackson away for free at this point.

Roy Munson
07-29-2006, 12:33 PM
But I'm not convinced he's disprectful to his coach or causing fistfights in the lockerroom like Artest.

He ABSOLUTELY has a history of being disrespectful to his coach (Maurice Cheeks) and assaulted a teammate in Portland (Ruben Boumtje Boumtje sp?).

He is a creep of the highest magnitude.

It's amusing now that Wells is starting to realize that teams around the league don't want him, regardless of his talent as a basketball player. He's starting to eat a little humble pie. Hopefully teams will continue to value chemistry and citizenship and ignore this pathetic pig. Sadly though, some misguided GM will think he can rehabilitate Bonzi and give him a contract. I hope it's not the Pacers.

kellogg
07-29-2006, 12:37 PM
If we ship Jack and get Bonzi for cheap, it's a win win situation.

We get rid of Jack, and if Bonzi doesn't work out..you just release him or bench him for an entire season. I would give Jackson away for free at this point.

This would be the only way they should sign him...that contractually if he misbehaves we can cut him outright, no salary no nothing. Without that hanging over his head, I think his track record would indicate he'll do something stupid here (especially if he knows he gets his money for 5-6 years no matter what).

Personally, as much as I hated Jackson's sniping at the refs all year and taking shots out of the offense, I think Bonzi would do all the same things and worse...

PacerMan
07-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I am getting a little tired of the Bonzi talk as well as others. But with that said, if you have the chance to add the 4th of the 4 horseman Al,JO,Jack, and Bonzi, you do it. If Bonzi, Jo, Jack, and AL are all best friends, we could do more harm by not signing him....you do remember JO's pleads for Bonzi during the Artest trade?

Once we decided to build around JO, and to trade for Al, I think we also must have come to grips with the idea of Bonzi on the team.

Tins
Jack
Bonzi
Al
JO

So being in the lottery is your goal?

PacerMan
07-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Sooooo WHY exactly is Mr. Wells unsigned if he's such a steal?
Fact is, most teams in the league won't touch him with a 10' pole.
And rightly so.

PacerMan
07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Seriously, winning cures a lot of problems and adding Marquis, Bonzi, and Al would make us the most talented team on paper in the East.

We WERE the most talented team on paper in the East with Ron Artest on the team.

Did you learn nothing from that?

Shade
07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I would rather keep Jack than sign Bonzi. And you all know how I feel about Jack.