PDA

View Full Version : A pretty good read of James White

rel
07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_02082.shtml

James White Starts Living His Dream In The N. B. A.
by Kevin Wilson,
published on Jul 7, 2006

MARYLAND---When James White son was born, Clifton Coates, now a motivational speaker and broadcaster in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, remembers walking through a Columbia Park apartment sliding glass door noticing a nerf basketball court in a playpen. When Coates asked his cohort what was going on, he distinctly remembers the father telling him that his son will be a ballplayer. Over the years, Coates inquired about his son’s progress, the report was all about his growth, academics, maturity, and most of, basketball.

The night before the 2006 National Basketball Association Draft, James White IV could barely sleep. Getting up at 5:00 am, on draft day appeared hectic and nerve- racking. He got a haircut, went to the doctor, submitted a few physicals to the N.B.A. teams that requested them, and, finally, he showed a sports show producer where his hoop exposure began- Seat Pleasant, Maryland.

Arriving at the new home of James White and his fiancée in Paradise Acres, there were more cameras and reporters waiting patiently to interview the multitalented athlete. As White approached the home front, he graciously greets everyone, like a professional executive. “Relax Dad,” he said, with a smile.

While the father answered questions by One Nine, a New York based video producer, the former University of Cincinnati Bearcat, wearing “ We’re One” sports gear and a pair of black and white low cut Nikes, engaged in brief conversations with comrades and quests. Minutes later, all were instructed to come into the basement. Smelling the aroma of a variety of food, and hot buttermilk biscuits prepared by Emma Lois Edgar, one would think a wedding reception was in progress.

Instead, the saga of a young boy’s dream was on the verge of becoming a reality. Family and friends had to sit or stand for the long awaited N.B.A. announcement on E.S.P.N. At 11:00pm, the verdict was broadcasted to the world. The Portland Trailblazers drafted White, a 6 foot 7 swingman in the second round- 31st pick. The winner of many slam dunk contest, who averaged 16 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists, along with 28 block shots for the 21-13 Bearcats, was traded to the Indiana Pacers when Larry Bird sent their 45th pick, Alexander Johnson (Florida State) and two future second round picks to Portland. Says Dave Benner, the media relations’ director of the Pacers “ Larry was very high on James White, and hoped that he was around for the trade. James is a first rate competitor with high energy.”

Following the great news, the Pacers rookie shook hands with all as they gave a toast in jubilation. “It’s a dream come true when somebody in the family makes it professionally,” says Uncle Gregory White. The former 2000 McDonald’s All American, and graduate of Hargrave Military Academy, believes that he’ll bring excitement to the Pacers organization and the league, and one that will play defense and make an instant contribution. His personal mission is to become an all star, earn championship rings, be inducted into the hall of fame, and be remembered as one of the best N.B.A. players to play the game.

Giving it back to the community will be automatic for White. Local pro players showed him the way. DeMarr Johnson (Denver Nuggets) and Jerome Williams (formerly of Toronto Raptors) said that he would make it. While accompanying Williams to the Raptors shoot around, he learned how to be professional. Going to Indiana, being close to his son and acquiring first round money makes the Prince George’s County product overjoyed. A guaranteed two- year contract along with a six -figure shoe deal with Reebok is the deal, thus far.

At age 12, White dunked for the first time. He earned the nickname “Flight 75” due to his leaping ability. He appreciates the four- year, countrywide exposure with D.C. Assault, an A.A.U. powerhouse. “ From a talent standpoint, I knew he would have a chance once he put in the work. He could’ve gone to the pros from high school, but he chose to go to college,” says Curtis Malone, founder of D.C. Assault. The Psychology major will return to the Bearcats campus during the off-season to obtain his degree. The 2003-2004 N.C.A.A. regional qualifier, in the high jump and triple jump, attributes his success to family and friends, who have kept him, level headed and motivated. “My father always pushes me to play better, to keep going, and never be satisfied,” says White. Longtime cohort, Clifton Coates, can attest to the fatherly guidance his friend has placed on a successful black male child, who’s now a young man.

Destined4Greatness
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Dunked at age 12, nice. Nice read thanks. Man if me and my girlfriend had a kid she would kill me if I put a nerf basketball court in his playpen.

Anthem
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Over the years, Coates inquired about his son’s progress, the report was all about his growth, academics, maturity, and most of, basketball.
Love it.

BoomBaby31
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm glad we can have some good energy in the Pacer's Lockerroom. I've been writing it alot since I saw him drafted, I have a good feeling about this guy. He could be the sleeper of the draft, watch him turn out like Wade or something lol. Wouldn't that be great?

Anthem
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Well he's not going to be Wade. Set your sights a little lower.

If he becomes the new Manu, I'll be thrilled.

Pacers#1Fan
07-27-2006, 03:35 PM
It definitely seems like we got not only a solid ball player but also a first class human being. So far he is saying all the right things. I think he will be very welcome in Indiana by both the fans and his teammates. Hopefully he can bring the energy that we counted on Fred for. He could dunk at age 12!? That is amazing. (who knows, Pacers Gurl could even learn to love him as she once did Fred lol)

317Kim
07-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

(who knows, Pacers Gurl could even learn to love him as she once did Fred lol)

We'll see. You never know. :innocent:

v_d_g
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
blackathelete.net can't afford an editor?

that's got to be one of the worst written pieces ever

flat out embarrassing

Will Galen
07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
While accompanying Williams to the Raptors shoot around, he learned how to be professional. Going to Indiana, being close to his son and acquiring first round money makes the Prince George’s County product overjoyed. A guaranteed two- year contract along with a six -figure shoe deal with Reebok is the deal, thus far.

I found it interesting that White got first round money, I wasn't surprised though. The Pacers have never been tight with money when signing their players. (for themselves)

According to the rookie salary scale found at the players association website the last pick (30) in the NBA draft gets $744,400. So we know Flight got at least that. I think the minimum a player can receive is around $375,000. I'm not going to look it up because it's not important for this discussion.

http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

Kaufman
07-27-2006, 09:26 PM

flat out embarrassing

I don't know who you are VDG but unfortunately I agree with you. It isn't a piece that flatters the author. But who knows, maybe the author is young and getting a chance to contribute to this publication and on the job learning as well. Its hard to say because we do not know more about the author.

pacerlife
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM
The more I hear and see from this kid the more i like em. I hope he turns out to be something special. It seems the pacers really know what they are doing when it comes to the draft.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM

flat out embarrassing

Agreed.

Oh, and the topic starter's avatar is awesome.

owl
07-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I am still giddy over the fact they were able to obtain White. I hope that
along with that world class athleticism he brings a Reggie Miller level desire
to be great. I hope he perfects his jump shot and is a leader on team
by the way he acts and approaches his craft. I can overlook the bad
attitudes on the team when I see the new ones coming in that will
hopefully overwhelm the negative. D Armstrong will help in that regard
along with Al(if he ever gets signed).

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-27-2006, 10:16 PM
white is upgrade from jones so white will be starter at sg in two years - gut feeling

aero
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I found it interesting that White got first round money, I wasn't surprised though. The Pacers have never been tight with money when signing their players. (for themselves)

According to the rookie salary scale found at the players association website the last pick (30) in the NBA draft gets $744,400. So we know Flight got at least that. I think the minimum a player can receive is around $375,000. I'm not going to look it up because it's not important for this discussion.

http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

I read somewhere (i forgot where but ill try to find a link) that he got somewhere in the neighborhood of $650,000

Chauncey
07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
There will never be a time in their careers where Shawne Williams (of half of the rest of the 1st round) is better than James White.

As most know by now, I'm a huge, huge fan. I think he's a lottery player that got pegged as "not good enough" since he didn't come out early and instead stayed in school to work on his game.

He's had the single most impressive year-after-year improvements of anyone I've ever seen in college. Coming out of high school, his shot was awful, he couldn't dribble to save his life and had no clue how to use his athleticism properly. Now he's a solid shooter, solid ball-hander, good distributor, great defender and absolute phenomenal person.

Since86
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
On a more personal note, I've played AAU against the DC Assualt.

Of course he wasn't still on the team.

They had a couple punks on the team that intentionally hurt on of our players.

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Well he's not going to be Wade. Set your sights a little lower.

If he becomes the new Manu, I'll be thrilled.
I'd be very pleased with just a Dudley Bradley (but for more seasons of course).

His fame coming in was the leaping, but based on his summer attitude and the ability he's shown to pair with that attitude, he should be one of the better outside defenders the team has seen in a long time.

Will Galen
07-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I read somewhere (i forgot where but ill try to find a link) that he got somewhere in the neighborhood of $650,000

I estimated he got about that much in a post, that might be the one you are referring to.

MagicRat
07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
......and absolute phenomenal person.

Try telling that to the Orlando Magic Summer League announcers......

Anthem
07-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Try telling that to the Orlando Magic Summer League announcers......
He had the gall to play defense in summer league! Against the new Larry Bird, no less! Ban him!

MagicRat
07-28-2006, 01:58 PM
He had the gall to play defense in summer league! Against the new Larry Bird, no less! Ban him!

Stay classy, planet earth......