PDA

View Full Version : Walsh: Pacers "not done dealing" after(AJ) trade

Frank Slade
07-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Donnie said that he likes to have 4 or 5 that players that can guard the post.
Right now only about 3, would like to address that.

Believes the needs are now in the big positions, and will concentrate the rest of the Summer on that.

Mentions Tinsley and the PG situation.

That's a few highlights, after a first listen.

You can listen to to whole interview.
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5195578&nav=menu188_4

Pacers "not done dealing" after trade
Donnie Walsh comments on Johnson trade

Indianapolis -

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh says the team isn't quite finished with their roster makeover.

Just this week, Indiana lost Fred Jones to Toronto and traded Anthony Johnson to Dallas for Darrell Armstrong and two young players.

The Pacers are also trying to lure forward Al Harrington, a free agent who spent the last two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks after playing six seasons in Indiana.

One of the keys for the Pacers this summer was to move one of their three capable point guards. That turned out to be Johnson.

Team president Larry Bird said second-year forwards Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall, who came to Indiana in the Johnson-Armstrong swap, will make training camp competitive and are capable of making the team.

(Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Shade
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Magloire? :shrug:

SoupIsGood
07-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I didn't listen, but by addressing the big positions does he mean Al

Kegboy
07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe the hold up is we're trying to get Billy to throw in John Edwards.

What?! He's a former Pacer, so he must be great.

-->":potkettle:"

Oops.

Coop
07-26-2006, 10:18 PM

That's the first thing I thought when I read this. I'm assuming that once Al is acquired, there won't be much else done with the frontline. It's possible we could resign Pollard or some other vet for cheap but I don't see anything more than that.

Aw Heck
07-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Magloire? :shrug:
That's what I'm thinking as well. If it works out, great. The Pacers can re-sign him if they want to. If not, let him go and get some salary relief. Or sign-and-trade him. He may turn out to be Peja part II.

What other post defenders are on the market?

I know he probably wasn't going to say anything about the PG situation since they supposedly have cleared the way for Tinsley to start via the Johnson trade. However, I'd still like to see us upgrade the starting PG spot.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think the course of action is just to get Al and then re-sign Pollard, like HeartlandFan said. That would be 5 post defenders, correct? (JO, Al, Harrison, Foster, Pollard)

LG33
07-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Edwards is a big goofy white guy...the Pacers would never go for that...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2000/playoffs/news/2000/06/14/pacers_lr/t1_pacers_ap_01.jpg

http://www.urbanhonking.com/sosodeep/archive/act_scot_pollard.jpg

http://vip.6to23.com/pacers/471348.jpg

Yeah, like I said...not likely

Will Galen
07-26-2006, 11:02 PM

No, he explained later that he likes to have 4 or 5 players that can guard the 5 position. He said we have three.

Pacers#1Fan
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm thinking maybe Magloire as well but I just don't see us giving up enough to make the Bucks happy. If it is Magloire I say we wait and hopefully the asking price will fall. After all, he said all he wants to do is play good enough this season to get a bigger contract so it would be likely that if Mags is aquired that he would only be here for one season (unless the Pacers want to pay his asking price next off-season which I don't think is very likely).

Robertmto
07-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Just the bigs?? He's actually confident in the PG position? Wow. :confused:

Targaflorio
07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
He must be the only one who is confident in the PG situation. Its never a good sign when the front office talks about how many guys are CAPABLE of playing the point. If you have to name 4 or 5 guys who might be able to play the point, it means you don't have a reliable point guard. I'm sick of hearing about what great depth we have.

Robertmto
07-26-2006, 11:34 PM
He must be the only one who is confident in the PG situation. Its never a good sign when the front office talks about how many guys are CAPABLE of playing the point. If you have to name 4 or 5 guys who might be able to play the point, it means you don't have a reliable point guard. I'm sick of hearing about what great depth we have.

Great Depth? - No

Great Numbers? - Yes

pizza guy
07-26-2006, 11:44 PM
"We've got 15 guys who can play PG!"

"Yeah, but none of them play PG well..."

"But, but...we've got 15 of 'em!"

"Great...."

LG33
07-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Maybe this was covered in previous threads, but what about "Snap" Hunter and "Boo" Davis? Any chance of picking of one of these dudes?

Robertmto
07-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Maybe this was covered in previous threads, but what about "Snap" Hunter and "Boo" Davis? Any chance of picking of one of these dudes?

that woudl just add more depth. Still no starter quality players.

microwave_oven
07-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Some information to pass along...once the Al Harrington deal is completed, which I expect by the end of this week, the Pacers will be looking hard at dealing Stephen Jackson. My understanding is that his season-end meeting did not go so well w/ Larry and Donnie, and the Pacers will try and move him for the best available value.

Now that is not to say that he will be moved for sure, but they seem to be unsatisfied with his attitude, and will look to move him.

blanket
07-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Some information to pass along...once the Al Harrington deal is completed, which I expect by the end of this week, the Pacers will be looking hard at dealing Stephen Jackson. My understanding is that his season-end meeting did not go so well w/ Larry and Donnie, and the Pacers will try and move him for the best available value.

Now that is not to say that he will be moved for sure, but they seem to be unsatisfied with his attitude, and will look to move him.

:happydanc (unless it's for another aging vet and a couple of scrubs)

Naptown_Seth
07-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe this was covered in previous threads, but what about "Snap" Hunter and "Boo" Davis? Any chance of picking of one of these dudes?Boo was just not that solid for most of the summer league. Snap has the 3 and drives the ball a bit like Fleming, but he has no defense and had some trouble making strong passing plays.

If the team only had 2 PGs, say Tins and SarJas, then I'd think Hunter was a lock. But with Greene and White and Daniels all as at least PT PGs, Snap just holds up a roster spot the want to use on a big.

PacerMan
07-27-2006, 01:16 AM
No, he explained later that he likes to have 4 or 5 players that can guard the 5 position. He said we have three.

Yes, Al guarded the 5 position with some regularity in his part run with us.

Jose Slaughter
07-27-2006, 01:28 AM

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

3Ball
07-27-2006, 01:29 AM

removed personal insulting nonsense (A)

Mac_Daddy
07-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Hmmm... Seeing as how we are bringing back former Pacers... I hear that Antonio Davis is still available.

Lord Helmet
07-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Hmmm... Seeing as how we are bringing back former Pacers... I hear that Antonio Davis is still available.
I'm fine with that.

AesopRockOn
07-27-2006, 07:55 AM
If Jax is gonna mess up our chemistry with his attitude, then he has to go. He's not a bad player, but we're not going to get much for him. I mean, the Sonics probably won't give us Ray Allen for him.

J_2_Da_IzzO
07-27-2006, 08:10 AM
If we get Magloire then Granger will be starting on the bench with a front court of Al-Jo-Mag

Hicks
07-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Could Jackson get us a Foster-level backup C or PF?

Hicks
07-27-2006, 08:11 AM
We're not getting Magloire, people.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM

Sweeet. That more than likely means we'll be seeing the Daniels/White combo at SG that I've wanted to see.

Heard anything about Tins?

The Hustler
07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Sweeet. That more than likely means we'll be seeing the Daniels/White combo at SG that I've wanted to see.

Not if we trade for a shooting SG ... i think Rick would be all for have a spot guy starting at SG

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Not if we trade for a shooting SG ... i think Rick would be all for have a spot guy starting at SG

A spot guy?

LOL at the new smilie
:tinfoil:

Skaut_Ech
07-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm fine with that.

Oh, man, I REALLY don't want to see that happen. Not only is he extremely broke down, I don't want to see Mr. Microphone back in town, anyways.

I'm thinking maybe Magloire as well but I just don't see us giving up enough to make the Bucks happy. If it is Magloire I say we wait and hopefully the asking price will fall. After all, he said all he wants to do is play good enough this season to get a bigger contract so it would be likely that if Mags is aquired that he would only be here for one season (unless the Pacers want to pay his asking price next off-season which I don't think is very likely).

I think everyone jonesing for Magloire should read this. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/07/20/magloire.ap/)

As to us getting guys who can defend the post, here's an extremely short list of guys I think we can realistically get, whom I would want. If you look at depth chart, there aren't a lot of low cost guys out there:

Gadzuric. (okay, I'll be honest. he's a guy I'd really want, moreso than Magloire. I don't know how possible it would be to get him.)
Lawrence Roberts (http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/features/feature-050722-roberts_rebounding_nicely.html): He's buried on the bench. West wants him to get more PT this year, but I don't see how.
Brian Skinner: Another guy who looks to be a victim of a depth chart. Definite low post player, who boards and blocks and plays with toughness.
Ronny Turaif: The guy intrigues me. Hi energy and hustle.
Mikki Moore: He exercised his contract to stay with the Sonics and mentor Swift, Petro and Sene, so I don't know if he could be had. Wouldn't mind snagging Petro, though.Now in terms of higher profile players, where it would take some negotiating and based on current other team needs (we have what they may want), I'd have to go with:

Fabrico Oberto: Please, no cliche euro comments. I think the guy will be a player, but is he buried on the bench.
Brenden Haywood: I'm thinking he can be had. He's not gonna be a dominant guy, but would he fit well here. He's a shotblocker and stays in the post.
Joe Smith: Notice how I keep coming back to Buck's PF/Cs. Something has to give there. Question is how healthy is he?
Theo Ratliff: I'd like to say Kendrick Perkins, but no way Celts let him go.
DJ MBenga: Yeah he just signed a new contract. Yeah, we just made a couple of deals with Dallas already, but how much PT could he actually see behind Dirk and Dampier and Diop?Actually, it's pretty hard to guage thngs right now. I think staying within the realm of being realistic, those are some guys I think we have a shot at.

The Hustler
07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
A spot guy?

LOL at the new smilie
:tinfoil:

sry ... i ment to say a spot shooter :S

Mourning
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't think we are looking at Magloire. I like him, but I also don't think he would fit our team very well as currently construed. Maybe Gadzuric, who also plays in Milwaukee, makes more sense then?

I still think we should have made a run at either Butler or Elson, but they are gone now.

Maybe a S&T for Ely? Now THAT I would like, but no way in hell will the Bobcats do that.

Maybe a S&T for Wilcox? Ok, that might even be more unrealistic, except if we throw in some picks, which would have to be first rounders then. Offcourse, we still haven't resolved Al coming back, so we better do that first, so we actually know what we can throw at other teams as baite.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

able
07-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Elson would have been near perfect, certainly well within the llimits of the MLE, so there must be a reason they did not go for that approach.

Gadzo would be even better, but what are teh chances to that ? very slim in my opinion, but hey.

Seeing as they did not go after Elson, who has all the upside of the world, that can only mean that they are either after something bigger, or want to be sure before resolving that (big) problem, they get rid of Jax.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Jack for Gadz works straight up. I would not mind that at all, we could then try to package Tinsley and Foster in a trade for a PG.

Slick Pinkham
07-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Al can guard half of the centers in the league, for short stretches, particularly the backups.

These guys are the same size or SMALLER than Al in height & weight, and all of them spend time at C:

Antonio Davis, Brian Grant, Udonis Haslem, Othella Harrington, Alan Henderson, Bo Outlaw, Kurt Thomas, Aaron Williams.

I still like the Jax for Juwan Howard trade-- no money difference and shave off a year of salary.

Skaut's entire list is a very good place to start. Any of those could help. Maceo Baston could help. ;)

D-BONE
07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
I still like the Jax for Juwan Howard trade-- no money difference and shave odd a year of salary.

On first read this idea is quite blah. However, it does do away with Jack so if what MicroWave Oven says is true...and Houston seems to be constantly seeking help at SG...

Don't know how interested JVG would be but JH would be a good second unit guy capable of scoring double figures and add another veteran presence. Not so sure how he'd be with the alleged up-tempo shift and he's never been much on D. Mediocre board work for a guy his size. Decent mid range shot.

Since86
07-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Jack for Gadz works straight up. I would not mind that at all, we could then try to package Tinsley and Foster in a trade for a PG.

No, no, and NO!!!!!!!!!!

Gadz is Jeff Foster reincarnated, with the ability to score within 5ft. Unless Foster is definately moved, which I don't see happening BTW, there is no room for another player like that.

Mourning
07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
No, no, and NO!!!!!!!!!!

Gadz is Jeff Foster reincarnated, with the ability to score within 5ft. Unless Foster is definately moved, which I don't see happening BTW, there is no room for another player like that.

Sure, he's not a real heavy weight, but I would like to add that he's a pretty good shot blocker, something Jeff is definitely not. Would Milwaukee take Jeff Fosters shorter contract and say a second rounder for Gadzuric?

Jeff is a better rebounder. But, Dan is the better shot changer and seems a little better offensively too. Think he's a little stronger too. Jeff might be a little better individual defender though they are both about equally fast. Seeying that Milwaukee would like to resign CV swapping Dan for Jeff and a second rounder makes sense for them, I guess.

Regards,

Since86
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Sure, he's not a real heavy weight, but I would like to add that he's a pretty good shot blocker, something Jeff is definitely not. Would Milwaukee take Jeff Fosters shorter contract and say a second rounder for Gadzuric?

Jeff is a better rebounder. But, Dan is the better shot changer and seems a little better offensively too. Think he's a little stronger too. Jeff might be a little better individual defender though they are both about equally fast. Seeying that Milwaukee would like to resign CV swapping Dan for Jeff and a second rounder makes sense for them, I guess.

Regards,

I'm not saying that I don't think Gadz is a good player, because I do. I'm just saying you can't have two players that play that way with definate playing time.

Teams love to have one, but two is a waste.

If Foster was included in another deal, I'd welcome him with open arms. But I chringe at the thought of both of them on the same roster.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 10:03 AM
No, no, and NO!!!!!!!!!!

Er, didn't I say that Jeff could then be moved. :crazy:

Since86
07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Er, didn't I say that Jeff could then be moved. :crazy:

I know, that's why I said 'definately' as opposed to your 'try.' ;)

Mourning
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not saying that I don't think Gadz is a good player, because I do. I'm just saying you can't have two players that play that way with definate playing time.

Teams love to have one, but two is a waste.

If Foster was included in another deal, I'd welcome him with open arms. But I chringe at the thought of both of them on the same roster.

I aggree with you. We shouldn't completely duplicate by having both. I'm making an argument of getting Dan for Jeff (with a shorter contract) and a second rounder.

Regards,

Skaut_Ech
07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Sure there's room for another player like Foster, although I don't think there's a comparison. Dan is a much better defender and shotblocker

In essence, you could have a starting PF/C combo of Foster/O'Neal, which is replaced by Gadzuric/Harrington. No dropoff in production and you get consistancy.

It's conceptually the same thing Detroit has been doing for years. Same for SA. So. yes, YES, YESSS!!!

Since86
07-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Sure there's room for another player like Foster, although I don't think there's a comparison. Dan is a much better defender and shotblocker

In essence, you could have a starting PF/C combo of Foster/O'Neal, which is replaced by Gadzuric/Harrington. No dropoff in production and you get consistancy.

It's conceptually the same thing Detroit has been doing for years. Same for SA. So. yes, YES, YESSS!!!

For starters, there is no way in hell Al comes off the bench.

DisplacedKnick
07-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Just to monkey with the discussion, for all this talk of defending the post - which I agree with - what you desperately need IMO is a shooter. You have nobody I'd trust to hit a shot beyond 20 feet if you need him to, except maybe Danny depending on if his game's evolved.

Maybe Harrington - if he comes - but he'll be your PF.

Anyway, I think that would be more of an upgrade than any of the "Foster-for" scenarios I've seen here.

able
07-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Basic question:

If we want to add post players/defenders according to Walsh, yet we did not look or talk to Elson, who is young talented and has major upside, how does that not leave the impression something else is brewing ?

Mourning
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Just to monkey with the discussion, for all this talk of defending the post - which I agree with - what you desperately need IMO is a shooter. You have nobody I'd trust to hit a shot beyond 20 feet if you need him to, except maybe Danny depending on if his game's evolved.

Maybe Harrington - if he comes - but he'll be your PF.

Anyway, I think that would be more of an upgrade than any of the "Foster-for" scenarios I've seen here.

Hey, I aggree. But, this dicussion on this thread is based on what Walsh said and he pointed towards a post defender.

But, yes, we need another shooter, I aggree with that. Some seem to think adding one would mean we would immediately go back to "live buy the three, die by the three", which I think is nonsense. We are just depriving ourselves and limiting our flexibility by not getting such a player, but I digress.

Regards,

Hicks
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Basic question:

If we want to add post players/defenders according to Walsh, yet we did not look or talk to Elson, who is young talented and has major upside, how does that not leave the impression something else is brewing ?

Because Donnie might just pick off the bones of Free Agency in mid August because he thinks those players are better than they really are?

grace
07-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Yes he is. I saw him yesterday at the mall. He's still a stud. Just look. :geezer:

Mourning
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes he is. I saw him yesterday at the mall. He's still a stud. Just look. :geezer:

:lol:

DisplacedKnick
07-27-2006, 12:27 PM

You better hope Kendra doesn't read this forum - she'll hunt you down.

microwave_oven
07-27-2006, 05:03 PM

Yes I have heard some things about Tins. He has been working out regularly and getting in better shape. From all I can tell, he will be the starting point guard for the Pacers.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Yes I have heard some things about Tins. He has been working out regularly and getting in better shape. From all I can tell, he will be the starting point guard for the Pacers.

:bananadea

It's gonna be a long season :sigh:

Edit - I do like that he's been working out regularly, I guess. Tins was one of my favorite players back before he started missing a zillion games, maybe there's still hope for him.

Bball
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know when the Star article is scheduled that tells us all about the player's excellent conditioning and much improved health situation coming out of the off season?

...Tinsley is working out...

-Bball

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
For skaut - http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2531679

Frank Slade
07-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know when the Star article is scheduled that tells us all about the player's excellent conditioning and much improved health situation coming out of the off season?

-Bball

Well I believe its Sept 4 for those playing at home.
At least it was last year
:teach:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14535&highlight=Pacers+Healthy

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Well I believe its Sept 4 for those playing at home.
At least it was last year
:teach:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14535&highlight=Pacers+Healthy

Good gravy, there's that fake Nap again. I just pulled up some of his posts/rants, like in the Golden State thread. I noticed that he threatened to go back to the "open" Indy Star. I wonder who this wannabe is over at RATS. It really bugs me to see posts by "me" in the archives, even moreso when I totally disagree with them....unless I went Fight Club. :-o

Anyway, sad to say but I believed all of this last year, the health stuff. I mean BENDER PLAYED, I saw him all of 10 feet away from me running, jumping, shooting. Next thing you know, done. A year later and I'm left feeling :confused:

I know some of you think this is just the natural order of the Pacers world, but it hasn't been that freaking long ago that THESE PLAYERS were pretty healthy. If this makes year 3 they'll have to cut guys and apply for "retired due to injury" relief on 'em. ;)

Peck
07-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Ronny Turaif: The guy intrigues me. Hi energy and hustle

Hmmmm.....

Scott talk to me more about Turaif. I am not familiar enough with his game to make an opinion on this.

What do you know?

jjbjjbjjb
07-28-2006, 02:45 AM

Is this the Pacers' version of "Mario is slowing down"? :laugh:

Kegboy
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Maybe the hold up is we're trying to get Billy to throw in John Edwards.

What?! He's a former Pacer, so he must be great.

Ha Ha, I called it!

blanket
07-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Ha Ha, I called it!

That's not something to be proud of. :unimpress

:D

Kegboy
07-28-2006, 08:13 PM
That's not something to be proud of. :unimpress

:D

Sources? I don't need no stinkin' sources!

Robertmto
07-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Hmmmm.....

Scott talk to me more about Turaif. I am not familiar enough with his game to make an opinion on this.

What do you know?

I'm no Scott but I followed him at Gonzaga. He was a very big threat in the paint and could dominate the boards. He's a solid body at 6'10 and 250 pounds. He was a 15 and 10 guy night in and night out. Helped form a nice 1 2 combination with Blake Stepp. He averaged almost 2 blocks a game for his entire career. And is physical stronger than alot of 4s and 5s in the game today.

Naptown_Seth
07-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Is this the Pacers' version of "Mario is slowing down"? :laugh:I don't want to laugh but my sense of humor compels me.

Let's see, so far the Pacers Smiley version I have is:

:sick: Tinsley
:morning: Armstrong

:soundoff:Jackson
:star:Granger

:crutch:JO
:pissed: Harrison

:broadcast Mark Boyle
:banghead: the fans

jjbjjbjjb
07-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't want to laugh but my sense of humor compels me.

Let's see, so far the Pacers Smiley version I have is:

:sick: Tinsley
:morning: Armstrong

:soundoff:Jackson
:star:Granger

:crutch:JO
:pissed: Harrison

:broadcast Mark Boyle
:banghead: the fans

Hah. What about...

the two sides of :smirk: Rick Carlisle :irked: ...?

sportsmusicxboxpacer
07-29-2006, 12:26 PM
:pity: :stupid: :funny:

Naptown_Seth
07-29-2006, 04:52 PM
I forgot one...

:jump:

the non-descript benchful of "athletic talents" who up to this point have given few people a reason to think twice about them. Just look at them jump, they have the skills. :)

Good one on RC. Of course I like his always mellow approach, but plenty of fans don't it seems.