View Full Version : Looks like God is no longer a Raptors fan

Shade
07-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Obviously, John never spoke with Jax. :laugh:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15123721.htm

Salmons knows he made right decision with Kings

By PHIL JASNER

jasnerp@phillynews.com

<!-- begin body-content --> John Salmons knows that most 76ers fans don't understand. He knows that some in the media don't understand. They don't understand how he could have walked away from a 5-year, $23 million offer from the Toronto Raptors when he had nothing else on the table.

"People close to me understand," Salmons said yesterday after flying cross country and signing a 5-year, $25.5 million contract with the Sacramento Kings. "It was a very stressful process. I didn't really know what was going to happen. I'm glad it's over."

In one of the most bizarre sequences in 76ers history, this is how Salmons, a four-season veteran with the Sixers, landed with the Kings:

As a restricted free agent when the season ended, the 6-6 Salm-ons had two offers in sign-and-trade deals, including a 5-year, $22 million deal with Phoenix.

Salmons chose the Raptors. And then, inexplicably, turned it down. Once that happened, the Sixers, who weren't including Salmons in their plans, withdrew their qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent, because they were concerned that he might have simply accepted the qualifier. This way, Salmons and agent Joel Bell could negotiate with any NBA team; wherever else he signed, they would receive no compensation.

"Originally, I felt like I had to make a decision," Salmons said. "But I didn't really feel [Toronto] was where God was leading me..."It was hard to tell [Bell], but I had to," he said. "It took all the courage in the world. I had faith something good would happen, but I'm human like anyone else; I was still nervous. I tried not to worry. Joel was pulling out his hair. Then a couple days later, he told me Sacramento had called... I slept on it. It felt right."

Salmons, who grew up in Philadelphia and played at Plymouth-Whitemarsh High, was a Spurs first-round pick in 2002 and traded on draft night to the Sixers.

"[The 4 years] wasn't like I planned it when I was traded there," he said.

"I'm from there. I looked at it coming in that I wanted to do well, that we'd win, that the city would be on fire. It was pretty much the total opposite. I'm disappointed in that sense."

He told the Sacramento Bee: "[Allen Iverson] is a tremendous player, pound-for-pound one of the best players to ever play the game... But sometimes people just don't play well together. It was just one of those situations where two people didn't play well together on the court and we just had to go our separate ways."

Salmons said he received a voice mail from Sixers forward Chris Webber, a former King.

"The last year-and-a-half, me and Chris were in similar situations in Philadelphia; we talked a lot and kind of, especially last year, reached out to each other with the situation that was going on last year and became pretty good friends. He was just letting me know that I was coming into a good situation."

LG33
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
hahahaha...i also thought that was a bit odd...
too bad God didn't give Salmons a little more talent...

but seriously, I'm told God blesses America, so, there's really not enough room for Canada right now (jk of course - i love maple syrup and "canadian bacon"...heck, even Rush ain't bad)

317Kim
07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Well, they just got Fred. What else could they possibly want? :chuckle:

LG33
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Didn't God cure T.J. Ford's injury too? The Raptors are really asking for too much from the big guy...

Kegboy
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Come now. There's a big difference between God leading someone and God telling someone.

Sheesh. :crosswitharmsthatlookslikeanx:

Jimmy
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
]hahahaha...i also thought that was a bit odd...[/B]
too bad God didn't give Salmons a little more talent...

but seriously, I'm told God blesses America, so, there's really not enough room for Canada right now (jk of course - i love maple syrup and "canadian bacon"...heck, even Rush ain't bad)

Yah so i think Salmons is going to need some ice.........................................FOR THAT BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthem
07-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Actually, this proves to me that God *IS* a Raptors fan.

What Raptors fan would want Salmons to get that kind of salary?

LG33
07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Good point.

grace
07-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Come now. There's a big difference between God leading someone and God telling someone.

Sheesh. :crosswitharmsthatlookslikeanx:

Am I the only one who understands that?

FrenchConnection
07-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Maybe you are. I know that I don't!

grace
07-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Maybe you are. I know that I don't!

That's what I figured.

Back when Mark Jackson was trying to decide what to do after the 2000 season he said God told him to go to Toronto. :crosswitharmsthatlookslikeanx: is referencing Mark when he'd cross his arms after he made a basket.

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Jermaine was never in his life a Raptor fan.

vapacersfan
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM

FWIW, I got it.

I actually like MJ's "X". I thought it countered LJ's stupid *** "ogo" or whatever you wanted to call it very nicely.

Anthem
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
:laugh: I don't know why I didn't see that coming.

Shade
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
That's what I figured.

Back when Mark Jackson was trying to decide what to do after the 2000 season he said God told him to go to Toronto. :crosswitharmsthatlookslikeanx: is referencing Mark when he'd cross his arms after he made a basket.

I obviously understand, or I wouldn't have started the thread. ;)

Shade
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM

As soon as I saw Jerm was back, and that he posted in this thread, I DID see that coming. It was still pretty funny though. :laugh:

Shade
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM

But he was rumored to be going there in a trade... :eyebrow:

FrenchConnection
07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
That's what I figured.

Now I feel like an idiot. Thanks!!!!

Mourning
07-27-2006, 03:56 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: don't worry about it, I was wondering the samething.

JayRedd
07-27-2006, 04:51 PM
FWIW, I got it.

I actually like MJ's "X". I thought it countered LJ's stupid *** "ogo" or whatever you wanted to call it very nicely.

I love Mark Jackson. One of my favorite Pacers of all time and he also went to the same college as me, St. Johh's University.

But please don't call him MJ.

vapacersfan
07-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I love Mark Jackson. One of my favorite Pacers of all time and he also went to the same college as me, St. Johh's University.

But please don't call him MJ.

Besides Reggie and "THE BIG SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH", MJ was one of my favorite point guards as well :-p

Shade
07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Besides Reggie and "THE BIG SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH", MJ was one of my favorite point guards as well :-p

Reggie and Smooth were PGs? :confused: :-p

rel
07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
this thread reminded me of those awesome "God is a Pacers fan" commercials

those were great...

vapacersfan
07-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Reggie and Smooth were PGs? :confused: :-p

I was trying to say two seperate thing and it all came out at the same time.

grace
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
this thread reminded me of those awesome "God is a Pacers fan" commercials

those were great...

And now they're being replaced by "Your 2006-2007 Pacers: God has a sense of humor."

Robertmto
07-28-2006, 08:23 PM
And now they're being replaced by "Your 2006-2007 Pacers: God has a sense of humor."

Nope - now it's "Your 2006-2007 Pacers: God needed some entertainment"