PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with Billy Knight?

Shade
07-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Seriously, :wtf:? Hurry up already so the rest of us can get on with our lives, jerkass! :tongue:

(Btw, for those who may have missed it, I'm joking. ;) But, yeesh, it's pretty annoying, isn't it? :kickcan:)

317Kim
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
He's got a bee in his undies. You'll have to excuse him. ;)

Naptown_Seth
07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Last week I was telling other people "wait till MON/TUE", but now I'm getting suspicious. If it was just in BKs hands to sign and the bargaining was over, DW would be calling him and telling him to get going.

As close as the deal was/is, I can't imagine they are at the "I'll get back to you on this in a few days". Imagine going to your mortgage closing and having the seller skip it mysteriously or just not get back to you after a price was happily agreed upon. You'd think that s*** was weird and you'd be on the phone wanting to know what's up.

I gotta think that there is a snag after all and its not at the done stage but back to the negotiation/could fall apart stage.

In other words, WTHR better get prepared apparently.

:lynchmob:

LG33
07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I sure hope not...but I'm getting terrible anxious over here in Jersey...

Hicks
07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Or the courts are making it slow (the ownership stuff)

LG33
07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
I wish someone would give us a definite time frame...And I didn't appreciate this quote from Larry Bird on Pacers.com:

"You never know until a deal's done," Bird said. "We do have interest in Al but we'll have to see how things go."

That made me queasy.

rexnom
07-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Or the courts are making it slow (the ownership stuff)
That could be it. Especially since Al is signing a long-term deal. Maybe it means that Tinsley is involved after all (since that's a long deal). still, it could be court stuff.

Naptown_Seth
07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Or the courts are making it slow (the ownership stuff)There is that sure. I think what concerns me is the Tins refusal rumor combined with WTHR so certain (and our own info guys backing it up) going into DW and ESPN both saying it was close basically.

Plus, if it hit the courts wouldn't that make news? Certianly the 1 year restriction and subsequent change to 4 years did, so its not like they are unwilling to report the legal news in order to help the team's bargaining position.

That made me queasy.Exactly. That does sound like "get ready for bad news".

Will Galen
07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
There is that sure. I think what concerns me is the Tins refusal rumor combined with WTHR so certain (and our own info guys backing it up) going into DW and ESPN both saying it was close basically.

Plus, if it hit the courts wouldn't that make news? Certianly the 1 year restriction and subsequent change to 4 years did, so its not like they are unwilling to report the legal news in order to help the team's bargaining position.

Exactly. That does sound like "get ready for bad news".

I don't have to get ready. I told people last week to remember the Maggette deal, but a lot of them kept saying Harrington was a done deal nothing to worry about.

Ha, even when two parties agree that they have a deal, it's never done until it's signed. I've been around to long to think otherwise!

kshay
07-26-2006, 10:47 PM
That could be it. Especially since Al is signing a long-term deal. Maybe it means that Tinsley is involved after all (since that's a long deal). still, it could be court stuff.

If Tinsley is involved, I dearly hope we have plans for a good starting-caliber PG. Sarunus needs to prove himself as a backup first.

pizza guy
07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
I think DW/LB have probably read some of my posts about how much we DON'T need Al back here, and we need a GOOD 2-guard instead, and they're working out a completely different deal.

Or, Billy Knight could be dragging his feet...

But it's GOT to be one of those two!

Robertmto
07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
If Tins is involved the P's are in trouble - the only PG's they can offer are Royal Ivey and Tyronn Lue. I doubt they would deal Claxton after pickig him up via FA.

Or maybe the hold up is finding a third team to get the P's a PG in return?

pizza guy
07-26-2006, 11:43 PM
If Tins is involved the P's are in trouble - the only PG's they can offer are Royal Ivey and Tyronn Lue. I doubt they would deal Claxton after pickig him up via FA.

Or maybe the hold up is finding a third team to get the P's a PG in return?

:pray:

I would be VERY happy if we landed a good PG through this. Even though I don't really think we should be after Al, if getting him yields us a PG as well, then it's a "HECK YES!" kind of deal.

Naptown_Seth
07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Ha, even when two parties agree that they have a deal, it's never done until it's signed. I've been around too long to think otherwise!
I've even been around long enough to know better, but they fished me in on this one because of good backup here and the sensibility of it all.

Bball
07-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe we're looking at this all wrong...
Maybe the AJ deal popped up and changed some things about the Al trade... somehow...

:tinfoil:

-Bball

CableKC
07-27-2006, 01:07 AM
I thought I read somewhere that maybe Harrington is holding out for more money?

Is it possible that he is the hold up?

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 01:37 AM
I thought I read somewhere that maybe Harrington is holding out for more money?

Is it possible that he is the hold up?

Anything is possible right now. IMO the P's were basing all of their off season moves around gettign Al. If this falls thru...

:laugh:

Jose Slaughter
07-27-2006, 01:38 AM
Ya think we could get Salim Stoudamire as part of the Harrington package?

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 01:40 AM
The shooting problem could be solved that way but he only makes 3 mill - miote be had to convince Atlanta to take one of the Pacers' lower salaries.

RWB
07-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Problem is Billy Knight is job scared. He's in that frozen mode where he's thinking if I don't move nothing bad happens.

naptown
07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
The problem aint with Billy Knight. As I said in another thread, the problem is with WTHR for being completely irresponsible and unethical in their reporting. I aint saying a deal wont happen, just saying WTHR took a lot of liberties and truly stretched the truth to grab some ratings.

rexnom
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
The problem aint with Billy Knight. As I said in another thread, the problem is with WTHR for being completely irresponsible and unethical in their reporting. I aint saying a deal wont happen, just saying WTHR took a lot of liberties and truly stretched the truth to grab some ratings.
Yeah. I'm pretty mad at them at this point. Even if the deal was 99% true, there is no way that Billy Knight didn't hear about the WTHR broadcast and it must've affected him in some way. I am really hoping that we still get Baby Al and if we don't, heads will roll.

Hicks
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
WTHR was hardly the only place saying Al was coming back. They were just the first.

Shade
07-27-2006, 01:10 PM
If Knight is holding out, does that mean that there are other comparable offers on the table? I can't seriously see them taking Murphy, and I'm not sure if the Pistons can offer much either. If Detroit manages to sneak in there and steal Al, I will hate them FOREVER. :mad:

able
07-27-2006, 01:12 PM
If Knight is holding out, does that mean that there are other comparable offers on the table? I can't seriously see them taking Murphy, and I'm not sure if the Pistons can offer much either. If Detroit manages to sneak in there and steal Al, I will hate them FOREVER. :mad:
Hmmmmmm I'd love 'm if it was Al in a S&T for Sheed, Sheed to us and the TE to Atl

:D

Shade
07-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Hmmmmmm I'd love 'm if it was Al in a S&T for Sheed, Sheed to us and the TE to Atl

:D

Dear God, not Sheed. :suicide3:

Sheed will be the whipping boy in Motown this year. His weaknesses are really going to be exposed now with Ben gone.

Frank Slade
07-27-2006, 01:18 PM
This was posted today from one of the RealGM Hawks Moderators.

On Fox Sports South yesterday they were talking about the Hawks and Pacers trade. They said Billy Knight is trying to acquire both a first round pick and David Harrison, so Billy Knight is fighting for it, but Iím not sure how much longer itís going to last, because I donít see the Pacers giving up David. They will lack depth at the 5 and size overall, if they trade him, and not receive a 5 in return.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=550677

I can see either, or but Harrison and a 1st rd Pick could BK really be asking for that as well?

naptown
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
WTHR was hardly the only place saying Al was coming back. They were just the first.

Those that followed WTHR almost all quoted their source as being WTHR.

It is one thing to report there are heavy talks and a deal could happen soon. It is quite another completely to say BABY AL IS COMING HOME like it is a done deal. Anyone who has been around sports for longer than 3 seconds knows a deal is NEVER done until the ink is dry.

able
07-27-2006, 01:22 PM
ask he can, get he wont

blanket
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
This was posted today from one of the RealGM Hawks Moderators.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=550677

I can see either, or but Harrison and a 1st rd Pick could BK really be asking for that as well?

What leverage does BK have here to be asking for more? A S&T has to go through him, sure, but Al has said he's only interested in the Pacers and Warriors, and GS has taken themselves out of negotiations. It seems that we're the only remaining trade partner for them, unless a 3rd team is involved, so demanding Hulk isn't going to get him anywhere.

PacerFan31
07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't think he is asking for both, Hawks fans are just so hell bent on getting David.

I'm thinking that the hold up is still over a draft pick.

blanket
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
ask he can, get he wont

http://ironteam.net/archives/yoda.jpg

Hicks
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Those that followed WTHR almost all quoted their source as being WTHR.

It is one thing to report there are heavy talks and a deal could happen soon. It is quite another completely to say BABY AL IS COMING HOME like it is a done deal. Anyone who has been around sports for longer than 3 seconds knows a deal is NEVER done until the ink is dry.

Trust me, I'm not referring to the other outlets that just quoted WTHR. I heard it from other places (and I don't mean the media), and the word was essentially the same as the WTHR Sports guy: Al is coming back. I don't know what the snag is, but I'm not convinced that WTHR was wrong.

blanket
07-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Trust me, I'm not referring to the other outlets that just quoted WTHR. I heard it from other places (and I don't mean the media), and the word was essentially the same as the WTHR Sports guy: Al is coming back. I don't know what the snag is, but I'm not convinced that WTHR was wrong.

I don't think people are suggesting WTHR's info was wrong, just that they were wrong to report it, given that it wasn't a done deal and they didn't have any details to support it. Just bad journalism.

Hicks
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't think people are suggesting WTHR's info was wrong, just that they were wrong to report it, given that it wasn't a done deal and they didn't have any details to support it. Just bad journalism.

Eh, I guess, but the word I've gotten was it was close enough to done to say as much, so it was a fairly safe call. Something since has delayed it, which makes it look bad. I think if we were dealing with any of the 28 other teams, the deal would have been done days ago.

naptown
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Thank you blanket, this is exactly what I was saying.

Shade
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
If we give up Hulk for Al, I'm gonna be PISSED.

Bball
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Maybe JO is balking at playing center? Maybe TPTB are considering moving Granger to make room for Al and placate JO?

:tinfoil:

Do we know the holdup is on the Atlanta side? The Pacers have been known to move slow in their day....

-BBall

grace
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM

Obviously WTHR got sick and tired of people complaining that the local media never gets the scoop on anything. They decided to run with a story that apparently has no end.

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Ben Wallace+Ron Artest+Paper Cuts>>>>Billy Knight

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Al isn't worth all of this. Go after Mags.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM

We won't. Donnie Walsh is not going to get outfoxed by Mr. "I passed on Paul."

Bball
07-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Doesn't Billy Knight hold all the cards? Unless Al is willing to bolt for less money than is on the table right now, he'll be forced to watch it play out (unless there's someone with cap room and/or the ability to swing an enticing offer to BK that Al would be agreeable with). ...Or would Al shrug it off and play for the MLE somewhere?

It's starting to smell like DW made a 'final' offer and BK wants more.

-Bball

Shade
07-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Doesn't Billy Knight hold all the cards? Unless Al is willing to bolt for less money than is on the table right now, he'll be forced to watch it play out (unless there's someone with cap room and/or the ability to swing an enticing offer to BK that Al would be agreeable with). ...Or would Al shrug it off and play for the MLE somewhere?

It's starting to smell like DW made a 'final' offer and BK wants more.

-Bball

If I were Al, I'd threaten signing for the MLE. Everyone knows his #1 preference is to come back here. He can do it one way or another.

Bball
07-27-2006, 05:55 PM
If I were Al, I'd threaten signing for the MLE. Everyone knows his #1 preference is to come back here. He can do it one way or another.

And if I was the GM I'd call his bluff after I got done laughing at him. I think there's too much of a $$$ difference at stake for that to be anything other than a bluff. Especially for a player in Al's position.

-Bball

Vali
07-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah but he could just sign it for 1 year and then wait to resign i know there is a risk but i could actually see this happening especially if BK keeps holding the deal...

CableKC
07-27-2006, 06:17 PM

Exactly......I posted the same thing...although it was a little longer....on the Hawks RealGM forum...and they don't understand why we would stick to our guns and not want to include Harrison in any such deal.

Including Harrison or Foster in any deal for Harrington would be a BIG mistake...not because Harrison or Foster is better or worth more then Harrington......its because it would leave us in a huge hole at the Center position....the one position that we lack any real depth at.

One of them even suggested that they would throw in Edwards or Batista so that we can get a Big Man to replace Harrison. :laugh:

Lord Helmet
07-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Exactly......I posted the same thing...although it was a little longer....on the Hawks RealGM forum...and they don't understand why we would stick to our guns and not want to include Harrison in any such deal.

Including Harrison or Foster in any deal for Harrington would be a BIG mistake...not because Harrison or Foster is better or worth more then Foster...its because it would leave us in a huge hole at the Center position....the one position that we lack any real depth at.

One of them even suggested that they would throw in Edwards or Batista so that we can get a Big Man to replace Harrison. :laugh:
:laugh:

Edwards is garbage. GARBAGE.

Destined4Greatness
07-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Edwards is the only guy I have seen try a Layup from beyond the three point line. He sucks. I couldn't believe it when they signed him.

Harrison stays, so that if this team sucks we have a young center to build around.

I would rather have for next year.

Quis
White
Granger
Williams
Harrison

Than:

Quis
White
Granger
Harrington/Willaims
?????

indytoad
07-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Edwards is the only guy I have seen try a Layup from beyond the three point line. He sucks. I couldn't believe it when they signed him.

Harrison stays, so that if this team sucks we have a young center to build around.

I would rather have for next year.

Quis
White
Granger
Williams
Harrison

Than:

Quis
White
Granger
Harrington/Willaims
?????

I hope that's not your starting lineup. Williams isn't going to be ready to play for a long time (if ever), and Marquis is not a full-time PG.

IndyToad
Trendy

Destined4Greatness
07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
No, I meant it as youngsters for the Future. And besides Williams I think all those guys could start. And Daniels ran the point just fine in Dallas. The only reason he didn't run it as well the last 2 years was because the system wasn't right.

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2006, 01:08 AM

Paul who?:confused: :whoknows:

Bball
07-28-2006, 01:18 AM

...Here's another clue for you all...
The walrus was Paul...

-Bball

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2006, 01:24 AM
And if I was the GM I'd call his bluff after I got done laughing at him. I think there's too much of a $$$ difference at stake for that to be anything other than a bluff. Especially for a player in Al's position.

-Bball
That's not true necessarily. It would depend on the length of contracts and his future signing values.

I ran the numbers elsewhere (maybe at RATS) and here is a scenario that isn't crazy but pays him more by starting off with the MLE.

MLE 3 years, FA at age 29 and in prime signs for 9.5m base (less than what his 7.6 will be paying him then anyway) for 6 years.

vs

7.6m base for 6 years, FA at age 32 getting a little past his prime signs for $8m base for 3 more years.

Both run 9 years total. The MLE version gets him 88.5m in 9 years, the 7.6m (TE) version gets him 84m in the same 9 years. Could he get more than 8m base year at age 32? Sure. Will he? Not certain, and neither is the 9.5m either I agree.

My point is that its hardly an automatic that the MLE would hurt him if it was short enough to put him back out on that FA market while his value was high due to age.

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2006, 01:28 AM
...Here's another clue for you all...
The walrus was Paul...

-Bball
:yikes: You're saying Paul is dead? :wah:

Let's decode by a popular method.

"...Luap saw surlaw eht...Lla uoy rof eulc rehtona s'ereh."

Yep, sounds like "Paul is dead to me". Bummer for the Hornets.

Bball
07-28-2006, 01:31 AM
That's not true necessarily. It would depend on the length of contracts and his future signing values.

I ran the numbers elsewhere (maybe at RATS) and here is a scenario that isn't crazy but pays him more by starting off with the MLE.

MLE 3 years, FA at age 29 and in prime signs for 9.5m base (less than what his 7.6 will be paying him then anyway) for 6 years.

vs

7.6m base for 6 years, FA at age 32 getting a little past his prime signs for $8m base for 3 more years.

Both run 9 years total. The MLE version gets him 88.5m in 9 years, the 7.6m (TE) version gets him 84m in the same 9 years. Could he get more than 8m base year at age 32? Sure. Will he? Not certain, and neither is the 9.5m either I agree.

My point is that its hardly an automatic that the MLE would hurt him if it was short enough to put him back out on that FA market while his value was high due to age.

What about the injury risk during that short term contract?

-Bball