PDA

View Full Version : Orlando is scratching their head

microwave_oven
07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Fran Vasquez Signs Huge Deal With FC Barcelona
26th July, 2006 - 11:32 am

A Spanish sports newspaper is reporting that 2005 Orlando Magic lottery pick has signed a long-term contract with a large buyout sum with FC Barcelona.

The deal is a four-year contract. He will earn 1.4 million euros ($1.75 million USD) per year and he will have an approximately 8.5 million euros ($10.75 million USD) buyout.

realgm (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41670/20060726/fran_vasquez_signs_huge_deal_with_fc_barcelona/)

I'd say this puts a damper on him playing for Orlando. $10.75 million dollar buyout...yikes!

CableKC
07-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I guess that Fran REALLY doesn't want to play for Orlando. Talk about a waste of a 1st round draft pick.

Roaming Gnome
07-26-2006, 06:04 PM
:smartass: I guess that really was some Magic making their draft pick disappear. :rimshot:

blanket
07-26-2006, 06:07 PM
I guess that Fran REALLY doesn't want to play for Orlando. Talk about a waste of a 1st round draft pick.

And not just a first rounder, but a lottery pick! And when Granger was still on the board!

GO!!!!!
07-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Makes the Raptors not look as stupid we thought when they drafted Arajo, at least he played a few minutes....

Pacersfan46
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
There were rumors this was going to happen before that draft.

They obviously thought they had a shot, and I think it shows you EXACTLY how little these NBA GM's know about European players when drafting them. It may be much more of a crapshoot than I ever imagined if they didn't know better than this.

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I wonder why the guy entered the draft if he never intended to play in the US? He even showed up at the draft in NY to shake Stern's hand. You would think that he would have cleared it with his gf before deciding to enter the draft.

Gyron
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Maybe we should trade for his rights to go along side the rights to the guy we got from New Orleans. Then we could get a couple more and form an all European rights team.

Destined4Greatness
07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Is this article saying his buyout is more than his regular salary?

DeS
07-26-2006, 06:52 PM
I wonder why the guy entered the draft if he never intended to play in the US?
I guess - it's only business... OTOH, I guess it has something to do with Macijauskas case we discussed earlier... (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22424&highlight=Macijauskas)

tdubb03
07-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Before the Magic took him, didn't he enter and pull out of the draft something like the previous 2 years?

RED FLAG Orlando

AnotherBirdCreation
07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Fine by me... this is one of the key picks that allowed Granger to slip to us.

FreshPrince22
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Beyond idiotic that they didn't take granger. He's the perfect fit for that team.

Shade
07-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

LoneGranger33
07-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Maybe we should trade for his rights to go along side the rights to the guy we got from New Orleans. Then we could get a couple more and form an all European rights team.

hahaha...maybe we could get erazem lorbek to play on that team while we're at it

Anthem
07-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I guess - it's only business... [/URL]
Good business to lie to GMs? You say so.

It won't hurt him any... but it will hurt other European players in the future.

ABADays
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Great news. I can't stand the Heat.

Gyron
07-26-2006, 10:44 PM

ABA, I think the desert heat is getting to your head.:laugh:

Orlando is the magic, not the heat.

vapacersfan
07-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Wait, how does this effect the Heat?

Robertmto
07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Good business to lie to GMs? You say so.

It won't hurt him any... but it will hurt other European players in the future.

He never said good business.

DeS
07-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Like Robertmto pointed out, I say - It's only a business, like it or not. Players entering the draft (and usually pulling out) to be visible. Maybe Vasquez wanted to play in the NBA, but his agent got the offer, and I guess he said "look what happened to Macijauskas and You are not such the player who can return to any Europe club for the good money after dissapointing season. Better bird in the hand than elk in the woods...".

FrenchConnection
07-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Like Robertmto pointed out, I say - It's only a business, like it or not. Players entering the draft (and usually pulling out) to be visible. Maybe Vasquez wanted to play in the NBA, but his agent got the offer, and I guess he said "look what happened to Macijauskas and You are not such the player who can return to any Europe club for the good money after dissapointing season. Better bird in the hand than elk in the woods...".

Also, I am sure that his Spanish contract would not be that big if he did not have the lure of the NBA. Also, what I think that he will do is to play out this contract in Spain and then sign as a free agent with an NBA club if he develops well. This way he circumvents the rookie contract scale and gets to sign for 4 million or so in four years.

I am afraid that he will serve as a model for other European players. Get drafted, use the threat of leaving to force a large European contract, and then play out your draft rights in Europe. It really is a smart move on his part if it is intentional. And before you start calling for NBA teams to stop drafting European players, remember Bargnani has come over and will play his rookie year. The talent will continue to seduce GMs.

ABADays
07-27-2006, 06:19 PM
ABA, I think the desert heat is getting to your head.:laugh:

Orlando is the magic, not the heat.

Okayyyyyy , , , I hate Orlando too!!!!! :blush: