PDA

View Full Version : Fred's an official dinosaur

Hicks
07-26-2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/jones_colangelo_334.jpg

http://www.nba.com/raptors

Whenever we lose a player, I'm always interested in seeing them in the new uniform.

Frank Slade
07-26-2006, 03:13 PM
PG Warning

Avert your eyes PG.. Nothing to see here.
:innocent:

This raises the question, what is the delay with the Press Conference for the Former Mav players ?

LG33
07-26-2006, 03:17 PM
It's probably because we don't want to waste thread on players who will never step foot in Conseco.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
I would highly recommend listening to Fred's press conference. He's asked about Kevin O'Neill and about the Pacers and Fred has some interesting things to say.

It is only 8 minutes long so it won't take much of your extremely valuable time

FlavaDave
07-26-2006, 03:30 PM
I would highly recommend listening to Fred's press conference. He's asked about Kevin O'Neill and about the Pacers and Fred has some interesting things to say.

It is only 8 minutes long so it won't take much of your extremely valuable time

Can't listen at work. Can I get a summary?

Frank Slade
07-26-2006, 03:37 PM
It's probably because we don't want to waste thread on players who will never step foot in Conseco.

Armstrong signed a 1 year guaranteed contract. I think the league frowns on playing shirtless :-p

btowncolt
07-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Can't listen at work. Can I get a summary?

Ditto.

Aw Heck
07-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Fred says he's going to be glad to come to practice and see smiling faces and not see everybody upset about something. That makes the whole team rally around each other and always play hard.

He says he thinks everything that was going on in the media and in the lockerroom dampened their spirits. They didn't have all the energy to put towards the other team. They were worried about other things going on around the team instead.

He says to get away from that and to start fresh is a good feeling.

rexnom
07-26-2006, 03:44 PM
He'll do well in Toronto...he'll get the shots he needs, finally.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Fred said he's real excited to be in Toronto and you know the typical stuff. He thinks the Raptors fast pace will suit his game very well.

Fred was asked what Kevin O'Neill had to say about Toronto (as you know KO was the Raptors head coach for one season) Fred got a huge grin on his face, Fred said he actually had a good relationship with Kevin and Kevin said Toronto would be a good fit for him.

Pacers situation: No complaints about my time in Indiana, this style fits me better.

Pacers constant turmoil: It is going to be a whole new, just seeing smiling face, instead of seeing everyone upset about something, everything in the media and locker room dampened our spirits so we didn't have all the energy to play, we had to worry about other things

Reggie: learned a lot from Reggie. He's the consumate pro and mentored me

Kstat
07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I've always liked freddie as a 6th man.

btowncolt
07-26-2006, 03:49 PM
I've always liked freddie as a 6th man.

I've always liked Freddie as someone else's 6th man.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 03:50 PM
I will miss Freddie, I wish he were still here on he Pacers. .

Roy Munson
07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
When Freddy and TJ Ford are in the game together they will form a VERY fast and dynamic backcourt. I can't think of another guard pair in the league that would be faster.

If nothing else, the Raptors should be a fun team to keep an eye on this upcoming season.

bulletproof
07-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I will miss Freddie, I wish he were still here on he Pacers. .

It's never too late to start The Official Fred Jones Appreciation thread.

Kstat
07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
When Freddy and TJ Ford are in the game together they will form a VERY fast and dynamic backcourt. I can't think of another guard pair in the league that would be faster.

If nothing else, the Raptors should be a fun team to keep an eye on this upcoming season.

I think chauncey and rip should average about 75ppg against toronto this season, but no doubt they will be fun to watch....

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I've always liked Freddie as someone else's 6th man.

That's really what Kstat was saying... he liked US having Fred in OUR rotation. And I'll bet he's really looking forward to Fred possibly starting in Toronto. I know I can't wait for the M. Daniels vs. Fred Jones matchup from our point of view.

Sorry, Fred, you had plenty of chances here to add some bredth and depth to your game. And I'm sure you worked very hard at it.

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 04:05 PM
It's never too late to start The Official Fred Jones Appreciation thread.

The appreciation thread would be a bunch of posts like this:

Remember when Freddy dunked over [insert player X here]. In my case, it is his dunk over Chris Mihm in this year's Lakers game.

Kstat
07-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Well, freddy's only glaring weakness is his ability to defend the post. It's just that Rip is one of the few guys in the league that exploits freddie mercilessly in the post.

In all honesty, Freddie was really exciting once he took off.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
FReddie had trouble guarding Rip, but Fred was very good against Wade, Iverson and other quick penetrating players. That was his speciality keeping quick guys in front of him.

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
You've obviously never seen Fred try to go left. He has more than one glaring weakness.

Or shoot the ball if he's not wiiiiiiiiide open.

Or complete a drive and dish pass to a teammate standing inbounds.

Slick Pinkham
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM

It was exciting to see him take off and dunk, but all those times when he would take off and THEN decide to PASS...

well...

not so exciting.

I can see him as a very good bench role player and I wished we had matched that low salary offer, but people are kidding themselves in arguing that he will be a quality starter, unless he would work extremely hard at being a serviceable PG, which I don't think he wants to do. He probably doesn't have the skills to do that anyway even is he committed himself to it.

btowncolt
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
FReddie had trouble guarding Rip, but Fred was very good against Wade, Iverson and other quick penetrating players. That was his speciality keeping quick guys in front of him.

Back when he played defense. 3 years ago.

aceace
07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Well Freddie did take a punch for the team in Detroit and the next night he scored a career high 31 (?) on a 6 person team and actually gave us a chance in the end to tie it (By far my best memory). Looked real good in the SD contest. He's always been there, and a few minor injuries probably kept him from having a much better season. I would guess he might avg about 15 a game in Toronto. Good p/u for the Raps. Averages 25 "you knows" per interview.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
You've obviously never seen Fred try to go left. He has more than one glaring weakness.

Quick name one player whose game you do like.

Since86
07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Quick name one player whose game you do like.

Chuck It Up Person

Duh!:)

Naptown_Seth
07-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, freddy's only glaring weakness is his ability to defend the post. It's just that Rip is one of the few guys in the league that exploits freddie mercilessly in the post.

What?

Only? Come on man. How about Fred repeatedly driving right, leaping in the air, deciding he had nothing mid-flight, turning and tossing wildly to the wings...stolen, taken the other way in a 3 on 2 because he's out of the play due to heading towrad the baseline when he threw the ball away.

It's something, and I know the word for it isn't "strength". I liked Fred's game a lot until it flattened out last season and he stopped getting better. Then the limitations became painful. He can't go left, he just can't.

He is not a good passer which is why he wasn't the PG. They tried him at it because he could move the ball upcourt, but he was a worse passer than AJ or Gill.

He must have picks set for him. That's his game. Set a high or FT line pick, let him go right and hope he gets the dunk (which he often does). He is a great energy player and a pretty good defender because of that. And when he is not injured he will knock down a 38% 3ball. When he is hurt, lookout 30% here we come. Then defenders really fall off of him and deny the right side drive.

The Pacers gave up on him because they saw that the last 2 years were it, that was his peak. I liked the energy, liked the attitude, and would be happy if he were still here...but he'd be my 7th or 8th man for the rest of his career.

He has the chance to advance past that someplace else where even with his limits he has greater value.

Mourning
07-26-2006, 04:48 PM

It's going to be VERY "dynamic" for the opposing backcourt to when they are on the offense. Both Fred and Ford in the game at the sametime would probably one of the worst defensive backcourts in the NBA. Both small AND not great individual defenders.

I liked Freddie for his offensive spurts, his defense I used to like, but he regressed a little there this past season IMO.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Lord Helmet
07-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Bye Fred. Have fun.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I am really surprised at some of the comments towards Fred, I mean the negative comments. I like Marquis Daniels better, but I just wonder what Fred ever did or didn't do to cause such a neative response towards him.

Slick Pinkham
07-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't think it's negative to give the opinion that he's not likely to be a great starting SG.

He's a very good bench player. That's actually in line with what Toronto is paying him. We should have matched, if he would be happy being 7th/8th/9th man.

If his expectation is greater than that in terms of his role, then he is making a very good choice.

I do hope that he does well in games not against us.

sweabs
07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Freddie has been on Raptors TV for most of this afternoon, along with the FAN 590 answering questions. I just got finished listening to another interview and he said a lot of the same things that have already been mentioned. He seems happy just to get away from the whole situation here, as he mentioned a couple times that it was discouraging that the team never seemed to "live up to its potential" and it was just not a fun atmosphere.

I wish him good luck...I'll finally get to see what he's made of (with more playing time, and the fact I'll get to watch him 82 games).

317Kim
07-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, atleast he looks good in red. :grumble:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/PACERSGURL/FredARaptor.jpg

:bawl:

Eh, what the heck, good luck Freddie! :)

SoupIsGood
07-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Eddie Gill
Fred Jones
James Jones
Austin Croshere
David Harrison
John Edwards

---

David is the only guy left from that Orlando game. Sad to see.

Mourning
07-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I am really surprised at some of the comments towards Fred, I mean the negative comments. I like Marquis Daniels better, but I just wonder what Fred ever did or didn't do to cause such a neative response towards him.

I'm not negative towards Fred. Like I said I liked some of the offensive punch he gave us from the bench. It's true that he wasn't a great decision maker or passer though and his lack of ballcontrol with his offhand were all there.

I liked him better defensively last year and the year before. I think he played hurt quite sometime this year with his finger, so his shooting wasn't so hot.

He seemed like a good guy to have around for chemistry and the offense off the bench. I think we just got someone better for what we need in the backcourt, while Toronto got someone that will probably fit their style well. I would think he would come off the bench because I would be very nervous having Freddie and Ford as my starting backcourt.

Tall SG's and PG's would kill them IMO IF that would indeed be the starting backcourt, which is why I doubt that he would (be starting ;)).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

pacerwaala
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM

I have nothing against Fred the person - He was a pro who only helped team chemistry, he never whined and played hard and was a disciplined player.

As far as basketball taent, I am glad he is gone. He is short for a SG and could easily be posted up. He has a suspect jumper at best which involved all kinds of contortions of his hand and elbow and took a while to release. Like Jay mentioned, he never went to his left. He was exciting with his ability to dunk but he turned it over many times after going into mid-air and not knowing what to do.

He had a few fine games and I doubt he will ever be much in this league. He is probably a backup SG at best. Backup SGs who do not have a stroke like Steve Kerr can't do much. Granted he is athletic and quick but so was Harold Miner.

Coop
07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Eddie Gill
Fred Jones
James Jones
Austin Croshere
David Harrison
John Edwards

---

David is the only guy left from that Orlando game. Sad to see.

:cry: Yes it is. I don't think I'll ever forget that Magic game. Especially at the end when it was obvious we lost the game but the crowd gave the guys a long standing ovation anyways. It was definately an emotional night.

GO!!!!!
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
If Fred was 6'6 we'd love him, just to bad some people are prejudiced to smaller Shooting Guards

Frank Slade
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
If Fred was 6'6 we'd love him, just to bad some people are prejudiced to smaller Shooting Guards

I have a feeling most on this forum would love to have..
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050330/CHI_gordon_85265.jpg

Sure height always helps but I would have to disagree with the 6'6 theory.

Roy Munson
07-26-2006, 06:48 PM

For all his terrible qualities as a basketball player (can't dribble left handed, too short, turnover machine, can't shoot, can't defend, ball hog, bad decision maker) it's absolutely amazing how many minutes he played for the Pacers over the past two seasons.

You'd expect someone so terrible would have never gotten off the bench.

pizza guy
07-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Fred will do well in Toronto, I'm happy for him.

Possibly my best Fred Jones memory is the Magic game, like a few others have stated. He missed the shot to win it, but how could you blame him? He had already turned in a career night, played the entire game, and gave the fans something to believe in and hope for in the wake of the franchise's darkest moment.

For all of his shortcomings (pun slightly intended), I really did like Fred. I anticipated his departure this offseason, though, so it's no shock to me. Good bye and Good luck Freddie! You'll always be "Indiana" Jones to us!

Unclebuck
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1153950611004&call_pageid=968867503640

Ex-Raptor coach says Jones is 'a great fit'
O'Neill told guard he should consider signing with Toronto

Ex-Pacer slam-dunker says `sky's the limit' with rebuilt Dinos
Jul. 27, 2006. 01:00 AM
DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

Freed from the shackles of a half-court offence with the Indiana Pacers, Fred Jones was searching all around the NBA looking for a new home for his athletic skills.

He sought the advice of friends and co-workers and Toronto seems to have left a lasting impression on a couple of diverse personalities who helped steer Jones to the Raptors.

The newly acquired guard, who signed a three-year contract worth about $11 million (U.S.) yesterday, was trying to figure out whether he'd fit in the city and the Raptor franchise when he went seeking advice from a couple of acquaintances.

From a homeboy, he got a resounding recommendation for the city as one of the gems in the NBA, hardly surprising from a guy who still returns nearly every year for the Caribana festivities.

"I never really knew anything about Toronto except when I came to play," said Jones. "I'd heard it's a great city, I had a lot of fun when I came here to play. Actually, I'm from Portland and Damon Stoudamire's from Portland and I heard a lot of good things from him about his time when he was here.

"He told me I would love it so that helped me out a lot."

And from a former Raptor of a more recent era, the fact the team was changing its style to one that would seem to suit Jones perfectly was a huge selling point that was hammered home.

By none other than Kevin O'Neill.

"This was one of the first cities he told me I should look at," Jones said of his conversation with his former assistant coach with the Pacers.

"Me and K.O. had a good relationship; he gave me a lot of stories about Toronto."

Whether all those stories have to do with the franchise or the social swirl of city really doesn't matter — it's likely it was a bit of both — O'Neill figures Jones is going to thrive here.

"It's a great fit," the former Raptor head coach said in a telephone interview. "I think that team's headed in the right direction. He'll create a lot of things for himself there."

The 6-foot-2 veteran of four seasons in Indiana can play both guard positions and says he's equally comfortable starting or coming off the bench. He's a friend of point guard T.J. Ford, has admiration for the skills of Chris Bosh and simply likes the fact the Raptors wanted him.

"I think we're going to have a lot of fun," said Jones. "We're putting together a real competitive team, I think the sky's the limit for us.

"This guy next to me," he added, nodding in the direction of Colangelo, "has put together a winner in Phoenix and the style of play was unbelievable there.

"I think every player looks for something that fits their style."

Jones was held back somewhat in Indiana but won't be here. The 2004 NBA dunk-contest winner — who says he's still trying to shed the reputation for being nothing more than a kid who can jam — should do exactly what the Raptors need their backcourt players to do.

"He's an excellent pick-and-roll player," said O'Neill. "He's an up-tempo player, he can defend. He's going to be really good up there. I like what they're doing."

What Jones may like best about Toronto — aside from the recommendations he's got from Stoudamire — is simply a fresh start. The Pacers seem to be a team in transition, still trying to shake off the long-lasting effects of the infamous brawl, still trying to make sense of the entire Ron Artest trade debacle (they ended up with nothing for an all-star) and trying to figure out what they want to be.

The toll of the last couple of seasons has been large.

"To come to practice and see smiling faces and not to see everybody upset about something, that just makes the whole team rally around each other and always play hard," he said. "In Indiana, it was sometimes everything that was going on in the media, everything that was going on in the locker room kind of dampened our spirits so we didn't have all the energy to put toward the other team.

"We were worried about other things going on around the team. To get away from that and start fresh and start new, it's going to be a good feeling."

Additional articles by Doug Smith

Unclebuck
07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
o

FrenchConnection
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
For all his terrible qualities as a basketball player (can't dribble left handed, too short, turnover machine, can't shoot, can't defend, ball hog, bad decision maker) it's absolutely amazing how many minutes he played for the Pacers over the past two seasons.

I think that a lot of us were just frustrated with him. It seemed that he could be so much better if he could just make a few improvements in his game and the fact that he never seemed to get much better was difficult for us to handle. He was fun to watch though.

FrenchConnection
07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
oh snap!

Fixed!

Anthem
07-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I think Fred would be a much better player if he was 6'6". That's a good height for a shooting guard.

I'm also prejudiced against 6'8" centers. So?

Roy Munson
07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I think Fred would be a much better player if he was 6'6". That's a good height for a shooting guard.

I'm also prejudiced against 6'8" centers. So?

And he'd be even better if he was 7'6"! And think how good he'd be if he was 8'6"!!!!

In the history of the NBA has it ever been said, "If only he was a few inches shorter....".

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Good luck to Fred. I will miss him because he was a good dude but I wont miss the way he played at all.

grace
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I have a feeling most on this forum would love to have..
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050330/CHI_gordon_85265.jpg

Sure height always helps but I would have to disagree with the 6'6 theory.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

GO :bulls: :yes:

PacerMan
07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
He'll win the sixth man award.
And then many here will whine about how we let him go.

IUColtPacerFan
07-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Freddie didn't like Rick's style either. :(

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/07/27/1704668-sun.html

ChicagoJ
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM

Roy, I don't know how I'm going to be able to ruffle your feathers anymore.

:buddies:

pizza guy
07-27-2006, 04:23 PM

Roy, I don't know how I'm going to be able to ruffle your feathers anymore.

:buddies:

I read what Roy said there and thought, "wait, this thread is about Stephen Jackson?"

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 07:49 PM

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/07/27/1704668-sun.htmlFind me a player that does and that his name isnt AJ or Michael Curry.

Unclebuck
07-27-2006, 08:05 PM

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2006/07/27/1704668-sun.html

Fred doesn't say that.