PDA

View Full Version : NBA GMs whining about Peja deal

jjbjjbjjb
07-26-2006, 02:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/07/26/notebook/index.html

Fuzzy math: Hornets-Pacers swap has eyebrows raised across NBA
Marty Burns - Inside the NBA
Posted: Wednesday July 26, 2006 11:58AM; Updated: Wednesday July 26, 2006 1:13PM

It doesn't exactly rank with the scenario presented in Oliver Stone's JFK, but New Orleans appears to be at the center of yet another conspiracy theory. The Hornets' acquisition of Peja Stojakovic in a sign-and-trade last month with the Pacers has raised some suspicions around the league -- especially now that Al Harrington appears headed to Indiana.

Stojakovic, a free agent, agreed to a five-year, $64 million deal with the Hornets on July 1. Twelve days later the deal suddenly turned into a sign-and-trade, with New Orleans sending a $7.5 million trade exception to Indiana. The Pacers now are ready to use that exception in a sign-and-trade with the Hawks to land coveted free-agent small forward Harrington.

How did Indiana manage to finagle the trade exception when it had appeared that Stojakovic was going to walk anyway?

Some around the league wonder if Hornets owner George Shinn ordered it as a favor to Indiana co-owner Herb Simon, a member of the league's past expansion/relocation committees? Shinn, after all, might seek to relocate his team in coming years if a planned return to New Orleans doesn't pan out.

What makes people suspicious is that it is almost unheard of for a team to do a sign-and-trade where the player involved doesn't get a raise or an extra year on the contract. Even Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh admits he was surprised New Orleans was willing to deal, though he notes the Hornets did receive cash back (the amount has been reported to be as low as $250,000). He also says the Hornets might have been motivated to make sure Harrington got traded to the East.

"I think George did us a favor, but I don't know if he did it for any particular reason," Walsh said. "But I do know Herb has been very sensitive to George's plights [in the past]."

Armed with their new trade exception, the Pacers are set to acquire Harrington for cash and a future No. 1 draft pick, despite being over the salary cap. Without the trade exception, they would have had to include players to match up salaries. And Indiana appears to have won out on the Harrington sweepstakes even though the Warriors reportedly offered a package that included Troy Murphy and a draft pick, while the Bucks dangled Jamaal Magloire and his expiring contract. "Since when did the NBA become so buddy-buddy?," asked one Eastern Conference GM, noting that Hawks GM Billy Knight is also a former Walsh protégé.

There is nothing illegal about GMs or owners making deals with friends or former bosses. Shinn might not have been involved in the Stojakovic decision at all, and Knight might have good reasons for not taking back any players and/or bad contracts. Ultimately, those moves will be judged on wins and losses. But, like Stone's films, it makes one wonder if there's more to the story than what we've been told.

Shade
07-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Where was the outrage over the Sheed deal? :rolleyes:

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Right here.

Lord Helmet
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, really. :rolleyes:

It's just because it involves the Pacers....:rolleyes:

Pacers#1Fan
07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Geez, who cares. I'd say one of the main reasons the Hornets gave us the trade exception was to make sure that Al didn't go to the West, I mean after all, the Warriors and the Hornets will be competing for a playoff spot and making sure Harrington went to the Pacers and not the Warriors would benefit the Hornets. I'd say it's pretty much as simple as that.

Coop
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Geez, who cares. I'd say one of the main reasons the Hornets gave us the trade exception was to make sure that Al didn't go to the West, I mean after all, the Warriors and the Hornets will be competing for a playoff spot and making sure Harrington went to the Pacers and not the Warriors would benefit the Hornets. I'd say it's pretty much as simple as that.

Exactly. I don't see why all the "experts" don't understand that. The Hornets and Warriors are both trying to squeeze into the playoffs. The Hornets knew the Pacers and Warriors both wanted Al so they gave us the TE to make sure he stayed in the East. Pretty simple stuff if you ask me. Some people are really stretching it out on this one.

CableKC
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I think this was brought up in previous threads...but if a GM has any reservations about the T/E...I have 5 words for them:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4347/benderoh5.jpg

Chauncey
07-26-2006, 02:53 PM
The accusation is that the Hornets basically bought the Simons vote on the relocation committee. This is an extremely serious issue, whether you want to believe it or not.

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Even so, its impossible to prove,

"I think George did us a favor, but I don't know if he did it for any particular reason," Walsh said. "But I do know Herb has been very sensitive to George's plights [in the past]."

If Herb's already been voting this way in the first place.

LG33
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Do you guys remember when the Celtics traded Gary Payton to the Hawks for Antoine Walker, and a week later Payton had been waived by ATL and was back on the Celtics as a free agent...then we played them in the first round and almost lost? That would have pissed me off...

Roy Munson
07-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Geez, who cares. I'd say one of the main reasons the Hornets gave us the trade exception was to make sure that Al didn't go to the West,

Yeah, right. The balance of power in the NBA is going to shift depending on who Al Harrington plays for.

Try again.

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah, right. The balance of power in the NBA is going to shift depending on who Al Harrington plays for.

Try again.

We are talking about the 8th playoff spot, not the top of the conference. You don't think that Al would have helped GS get into the playoffs? You don't think that he is an improvement over Troy Murphy?

I still don't think that this is the reason that the Hornets made this deal. Maybe Shinn owed the Simons a favor from their last relocation? Maybe they really needed the $250,000? I know that I do!

Roaming Gnome
07-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Sounds like SI is just trying to create a story where there is no story to report.

McKeyFan
07-26-2006, 03:47 PM

Try again.

Thanks. I was waiting for that comment.

Pacers#1Fan
07-26-2006, 03:48 PM

Try again.It's really cool how you left out everything else I wrote that made my point. Thumbs up.:rolleyes:

BoomBaby31
07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah, really. :rolleyes:

It's just because it involves the Pacers....:rolleyes:

Hey, the NBA presents itself as a business, so that's exactly what it was a business deal. Some businesses have connections, and some don't, to bad. :laugh:

I wonder if Peja pushed this for us as well, so we can get something ultimately out of the Artest deal. He said he respects our organization maybe that was his way of giving back.

Tim
07-26-2006, 04:03 PM
The accusation is that the Hornets basically bought the Simons vote on the relocation committee. This is an extremely serious issue, whether you want to believe it or not.

And one you will never be able to prove.

Anthem
07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I guess I don't see why this is even an issue. People are saying "Why would Nawlins do this?" I know a quarter of a million dollars doesn't sound like much, but it actually looks pretty good on the bottom line. They got $250,000 for free. It didn't cost them anything.

That's better than a second-round pick.

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I guess I don't see why this is even an issue. People are saying "Why would Nawlins do this?" I know a quarter of a million dollars doesn't sound like much, but it actually looks pretty good on the bottom line. They got $250,000 for free. It didn't cost them anything.

That's better than a second-round pick.

Sounds like a whole lot to me!

owl
07-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Actually I think Stern ordered Shinn to do it because of the damage he did to the Pacers over the Artest fiasco. That was a small way of saying sorry
to the Simons.

Anthem
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a whole lot to me!
True, but you don't run a multi-million dollar business.

The fact remains that the Hornets got a quarter million dollars for free.

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
True, but you don't run a multi-million dollar business.

The fact remains that the Hornets got a quarter million dollars for free.

Yeah, I don't care what you do it is not a small sum of money. And it is not like this costs the Hornets anything at all. So it really is free money!

sixthman
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM

You know better than that. People get wrongly accused of all sorts of things every day.

Never mind the apparent fact that the Simon bro have agreed with Shinn on relocation issues anyway, but please explain to me why the Hornets should not have taken whatever cash they could get in this deal? Particularly since they were probably helping to direct Al Harrington away from a competitor.

Sour grapes. Careless conjecture.

clemdogg
07-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm obviously not sure about the conspiracy theory or the absolute reason why New Orleans agreed to the sign-and-trade, but I absolutely buy into it being an issue of wanting to make sure Al didn't go West. Remember during the Artest deal, the Pacers pretty much said they wouldn't trade him East (I think they may have blatantly said it). No, Al isn't the impact player that Artest is, but still, we aren't talking about making the playoffs. We aren't talking about a conference power shift.

CableKC
07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm obviously not sure about the conspiracy theory or the absolute reason why New Orleans agreed to the sign-and-trade, but I absolutely buy into it being an issue of wanting to make sure Al didn't go West. Remember during the Artest deal, the Pacers pretty much said they wouldn't trade him East (I think they may have blatantly said it). No, Al isn't the impact player that Artest is, but still, we aren't talking about making the playoffs. We aren't talking about a conference power shift.

I agree....not that Harrington is a major improvement over Murphy...but it would have allowed them to start him at the SF spot...allowing for more flexibiilty with Diogu and their platoon of PFs.

I think that if he did go to the Ws.....that he would have made enough of a difference...along with the rest of that messed up lineup...to make a better push for the playoffs against the Hornets.

When it comes to the Warriors.....any little thing helps....and if it just cost the Hornets 250k to lessen the chance that the Ws could improve their roster.....I could see why they did it.

Naptown_Seth
07-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Whoops, nevermind what I did say. I meant to say "hey, we were talking about this here before SI got onto it".

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22640

Kegboy
07-27-2006, 07:38 AM
So, now that we know Marty Burns reads the board, Hey, Marty, do an expose on Dumars and Sheed next.

RWB
07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/07/26/notebook/index.html

"Since when did the NBA become so buddy-buddy?," asked one Eastern Conference GM, noting that Hawks GM Billy Knight is also a former Walsh protégé.

If I were to put on my conspiracy hat I would say the Eastern GM is I.Thomas tyring to get back at Bird and Walsh by stirring the pot.

Might this also be the holdup in completing the Al deal now? Maybe it's not Knight, but the Walsh/Bird feeling a little heat over this rumor?

FrenchConnection
07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
I agree....not that Harrington is a major improvement over Murphy...but it would have allowed them to start him at the SF spot...allowing for more flexibiilty with Diogu and their platoon of PFs.

I think that if he did go to the Ws.....that he would have made enough of a difference...along with the rest of that messed up lineup...to make a better push for the playoffs against the Hornets.

When it comes to the Warriors.....any little thing helps....and if it just cost the Hornets 250k to lessen the chance that the Ws could improve their roster.....I could see why they did it.

It cost us 250k, not them. They got the money. That's why I don't understand all the conspiracy talk. It makes no difference to them, yet they get a quarter of a million dollars. Of course they do that deal.

DisplacedKnick
07-27-2006, 08:38 AM
If I were to put on my conspiracy hat I would say the Eastern GM is I.Thomas tyring to get back at Bird and Walsh by stirring the pot.

Doubt it - Zeke's a much better politician than GM. He'll be careful not to say anything that might close a future door.