PDA

View Full Version : Magloire update {Milwaukee Journal Sentinel}

Frank Slade
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
By CHARLES F. GARDNER
cgardner@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 25, 2006

Magloire update

Jamaal Magloire is still a member of the Bucks, but Harris said discussions were continuing about a possible trade involving the 6-11 center.

Magloire was the Bucks' starter at center last season, and rookie 7-footer Andrew Bogut started at power forward. But Bogut will move to his natural position of center this fall, and Charlie Villanueva is expected to start at power forward after being acquired in the deal that sent guard T.J. Ford to Toronto.

"There are still a number of teams we're talking to," Harris said. "We have contacted two or three teams more than once at this point.

"I don't know that there's a resolution, but there are certainly more conversations going on over the last week. Now players are getting signed, free agency is dwindling down and everybody is looking at their rosters.

"As I look at it, the 1 (point guard), 3 (small forward) and 5 (center) are the positions where we can add some depth. Hopefully we can accomplish that with Magloire, if we do trade him."

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=476797)

I have cooled somewhat on aquiring Mags , but for the sake of discussion, as Stein mentioned that Foster and Sarunas were being shopped that combination does work dollar wise as well as fill the suggested needs of the Bucks.

The other plausible two person combinations would be
Jackson + Harrison
Jackson+ Sarunas
Tinsley + Harrison

The last proposal would be one where you don't actually lose alot in the actual shooting dept. Just throwing it out there.

It's sounding like either the Bucks are asking too much, or Mags Stock is dropping

pizza guy
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22845

EDIT: nevermind, he deleted that one - let's use this one!

What do we have to do to get Mags?

CableKC
07-26-2006, 02:03 PM
I find it odd that the article suggests that they need depth at the Center....yet is trading a Center. I'm guessing that they are specifically looking for younger but not as expensive depth at the Center spot that can play behind Bogut and Gadzuric:shrug:

Trader Joe
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Does jack for Magloire not work straight up? Cause I'd do that and then sign Bonzi to the MLE.

purdue101
07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22845

EDIT: nevermind, he deleted that one - let's use this one!

What do we have to do to get Mags?

before AJ was traded, i thought a combination of jax and AJ would be enough. the bucks need an athletic wing and a backup PG. salaries work too.

i would imagine it's going to take two of these three players: foster, saras, and jax. i'm not willing to do that......especially saras now that AJ is gone. IMO harrison is off the table for magz too.

as we stand right now.....i would give them their choice of foster or jax (preferably jax) along with a 2nd round pick. we can throw in powell and/or rawle to matchup the salaries.

purdue101
07-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Does jack for Magloire not work straight up? Cause I'd do that and then sign Bonzi to the MLE.

it's just short......we would need to throw in either powell or rawle.

Shade
07-26-2006, 02:28 PM
It would sure be nice to have AJ right now. A Jack/AJ trade might have gotten 'er done. :mad:

Anthem
07-26-2006, 02:48 PM
it's just short......we would need to throw in either powell or rawle.
I would throw them both in. Or Oriene Greene.

CableKC
07-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I guess...worse comes to worse....we could do a 1 year rental of Magliore which pretty much amounts to a salary dump.

Magliore+Jiri Welcsh for SJax+Foster...would likely work....which sort of meets the Bucks need to move Magliore and get back a decent but somewhat cheap Big Man.

I don't know...I guess we do give up more overall talent...but I can't figure out the rotational minutes at the SG/SF/PF/C positions with starters like SJax, Marquis, Granger, Harrington, JONeal,Foster, Harrison while adding in someone like Magliore without giving up either Foster or SJax.

I think that Magliore would be a slight offensive upgrade at the Center spot over Foster.....but if he costs us Foster and is likely a 1 year rental....that leaves us significantly weak at the Center spot next season.

Young
07-26-2006, 03:15 PM
You know I really do not want Maglorie since it looks like we are getting Al, but if we can trade Jackson or Tinsley for Maglorie and not re-sign Maglorie that's fine with me because we wouldn't have the one of our knuckle heads anymore.

I just don't want to see us sign Al to a long term deal and then trade for Maglorie, and then give him a contract extension but I don't think we would do that.

FlavaDave
07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
JO + Granger + Harrington + Harrison + Magloire = too many cheifs, not enough indians.

Destined4Greatness
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
The Only two players I would do this for are Runi and Foster. Magloire doesn't fit the new system. Hes overpaid, and its a rental. They claim to need Center and PG depth so try and ditch Runi on them. I very seriously doubt he will come back to bite us in the ***.

BBALL56HACKER
07-26-2006, 07:10 PM
I would not trade FOSTER for MAGLOIRE ! Foster is faster ,better rebounder, and does not have to have the ball to be happy. Also he is a better deal for the money. We would not be able to pay MAGLOIRE next year.

Destined4Greatness
07-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Exactly hes expiring and he is almost as good a rebounder, but he has an offensive game. And lets not try and pretend that Fosters lack of an offensive game hasn't been a concern.

Its a way to cut salary so that if this team flops next year, we can rebuild. And if the team does ok we can simply sign a FA.

Magloire is a rental who will be playing his *** off for a contract.

CableKC
07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Exactly hes expiring and he is almost as good a rebounder, but he has an offensive game. And lets not try and pretend that Fosters lack of an offensive game hasn't been a concern.

Its a way to cut salary so that if this team flops next year, we can rebuild. And if the team does ok we can simply sign a FA.

Magloire is a rental who will be playing his *** off for a contract.

To BBALL56HACKER point......we can give up Foster to get him and ultimately only rent Magliore for a year....but what happens after Magliore plays his @ss off and he expects a big contract that we know the Pacers won't pay or match?

We will truly have no depth at the Center position....and guess who we need to rely on more to provide some Center depth? You're favorite player in the whole world......

I'm guessing that we can acquire one next season given our new Salary cap situation....but I'm not sure what Center would be considered an upgrade given the lack of decent Centers out there.

If Foster has to be traded....if anything......I would hope that it would be for a decent upgrade. Tinsley, SJax or Sarunas...or even any two for Magliore....sure, no problem ( not that they would take them ). But Foster for Magliore.......the only other decent Big Man that we have for a single season rental? No way.

This is not because I am saying that Foster is better then Magliore....but from a financial and productivity standpoint...I don't see that we are gaining alot in making such a move.

Naptown_Seth
07-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Does jack for Magloire not work straight up? Cause I'd do that and then sign Bonzi to the MLE.But they want to add at the 1,3 and 5.

So SarJas/Foster or Tins/Harrison are a lot more likely than Jack period, or so their words would imply.

I prefer Foster quite a bit to Magloire...but only if Jeff is going to be healthy enough to play 65-70 "comfortable, productive" games.

pizza guy
07-27-2006, 12:05 AM
But they want to add at the 1,3 and 5.So SarJas/Foster or Tins/Harrison are a lot more likely than Jack period, or so their words would imply.

I prefer Foster quite a bit to Magloire...but only if Jeff is going to be healthy enough to play 65-70 "comfortable, productive" games.

In that case, they can have Tinsley for the 1, and Jackson for the 3 - he plays better there anyways. As for the 5, they can get the third team's back-up C and we'll take their starting PG...[/pipedream]