PDA

View Full Version : Why do some fans care about the "Character" of our players?

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 09:32 PM
I find it astonishing that fans would care about the players that consist of the team. For me, an NBA team is a team that is out there to win. Sure...some-times character problems result in problems within the team that actually cause the team to lose...but some people seem to judge a lot of NBA players.

What I mean by this, is why would some fans have problems or feel the need to make comments at someone like Jackson or O'Neal for wearing their bling-bling, having their luxury cars, and dressin' how they're comfortable in dressing. OR how about, when certain players like to sleep around and have that type of life-style or to possibly drinking/smoking on social occasions?

This isn't just towards Pacer players, but I often see the term "Head-case", "knuckle-head", "Thug", "gangsta", and the list can go on and on...the one that kind of bothers me is thug because how can someone be a thug just by being themselves or how they dress? The dress code on the NBA Players is bad enough, but when they are on their own free time and like to go to clubs, why does it matter who they are on their personal time? If they want to have multiple kids with different women, how does that make a difference to you. As Charles Barkley said, "I'm no role model" and even if some bball players are role models to their kids, it is the responsibilities of the parents to inforce some "morals" to their kids and often times players like Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson are actually great role models for youngers and have done a lot for their communities.

Also...some character problems some pereceive such as on Tinsley..might not be character problems at all. Maybe that is the type of person Jamaal is. He isn't going to change his personality because a few fans perceive him being a certain way. The only character problems or chemistry problems are the one's in the lockerroom that no one knows about, not the pereceived ones.

Anthem
07-25-2006, 09:35 PM
I find it astonishing that fans would care about the players that consist of the team.
I stopped reading right here.

shags
07-25-2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYUKvjeqOl4&search=Pistons%20pacers%20brawl

:shrug:

circlecitysportsfan
07-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I find it astonishing that fans would care about the players that consist of the team. For me, an NBA team is a team that is out there to win. Sure...some-times character problems result in problems within the team that actually cause the team to lose...but some people seem to judge a lot of NBA players.

What I mean by this, is why would some fans have problems or feel the need to make comments at someone like Jackson or O'Neal for wearing their bling-bling, having their luxury cars, and dressin' how they're comfortable in dressing. OR how about, when certain players like to sleep around and have that type of life-style or to possibly drinking/smoking on social occasions?

This isn't just towards Pacer players, but I often see the term "Head-case", "knuckle-head", "Thug", "gangsta", and the list can go on and on...the one that kind of bothers me is thug because how can someone be a thug just by being themselves or how they dress? The dress code on the NBA Players is bad enough, but when they are on their own free time and like to go to clubs, why does it matter who they are on their personal time? If they want to have multiple kids with different women, how does that make a difference to you. As Charles Barkley said, "I'm no role model" and even if some bball players are role models to their kids, it is the responsibilities of the parents to inforce some "morals" to their kids and often times players like Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson are actually great role models for youngers and have done a lot for their communities.

Also...some character problems some pereceive such as on Tinsley..might not be character problems at all. Maybe that is the type of person Jamaal is. He isn't going to change his personality because a few fans perceive him being a certain way. The only character problems or chemistry problems are the one's in the lockerroom that no one knows about, not the pereceived ones.

Your not going to win this one buddy. lol We have gangsters on this team. Baby eating killers. Jack>>>Highway Sniper

vapacersfan
07-25-2006, 09:47 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ubn19UPvGzcXlM:www.blogindy.com/uploaded_images/artest-783030.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------

Your not going to win this one buddy. lol We have gangsters on this team. Baby eating killers. Jack>>>Highway Sniper

Not sure how anyone can "lol" after what we have been through, and fankly I just watched the video of the brawl and that is the first time I have seen footage of that since that day. It still makes me sick to my stomach, dont see anything funny about that at all.

Los Angeles
07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYUKvjeqOl4&search=Pistons%20pacers%20brawl

:shrug:
No f-ing s***.

The clue phone is ringing! I wonder who it's for?

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 09:50 PM
"Thug"

:sigh:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We DON'T have any Kali-worshiping assassins on our team. Geez.

http://www.tfd.com/thug

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 09:51 PM

I'm not trying to be mean or start anything here. I'm just honestly curious. Are you Sass?

If not, forget I said anything. :) You just remind me of a former poster.

IUColtPacerFan
07-25-2006, 09:57 PM
I just want a team that works well together, plays hard, wants to be a part of the organization, and wants to win. I think character is a little overused by fans. Reggie Miller was a known punk around the league but became one of the most beloved Pacers of all time because he was a good teammate, played hard, stayed loyal to the Pacers and wanted to win. I like a little badass in players that I root for. I don't want pushovers and yes-men at every position. But, the most important part is to find the pieces that will work best together. We can have some "characters" on the Pacers as long as they fit together well.

circlecitysportsfan
07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ubn19UPvGzcXlM:www.blogindy.com/uploaded_images/artest-783030.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how anyone can "lol" after what we have been through, and fankly I just watched the video of the brawl and that is the first time I have seen footage of that since that day. It still makes me sick to my stomach, dont see anything funny about that at all.

I didn't either, my lol had nothing to do with the brawl. It had to do with the fact that i knew nobody was going to agree with the OP. Pacers are gangsters we need to trade them to get good guys. Good guys=Championships, ask the Heat.

beast23
07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I stopped reading right here.Amazing. The exact same point at which I stopped reading.

Hicks
07-25-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not trying to be mean or start anything here. I'm just honestly curious. Are you Sass?

If not, forget I said anything. :) You just remind me of a former poster.

Yes it is.