PDA

View Full Version : Who will be starting at C next season?

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Barring any more trades...who's going to be starting at Center next season? For a while I thought we might go with J.O.-Harrington-Granger-Jack-Tinsley but let's be realistic...an NBA season is 82 games long and to put Jermaine at Center the whole season would be unfair to him and this organization because wneed him healthy come play-off time.

Is Foster going to start at Center (if we don't trade him) and bring Harrison off the bench while playing with different line-ups during the mix of the games to play guys like Harrington at PF? Or...can Harrison come steal the starting C position early in the season? If we are going to run our faster-pace-offense...we would prob. have to put Foster up there @ C. What does everyone think?

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
JO

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
JO

I doubt that will happen once the season starts.

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I doubt that will happen once the season starts.

Why not? He's been playing center forever now

Robertmto
07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha

JO

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Why not? He's been playing center forever now

Because his body can't take that for 82 games...especially if you have a small guy like Harrington starting at PF. He needs a body to help him...hopefully Harrison if he can learn to stop being in foul trouble every second.

Gamble
07-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Haywood with donuts. No, wait thats the Wizards.

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Because his body can't take that for 82 games...especially if you have a small guy like Harrington starting at PF. He needs a body to help him...hopefully Harrison if he can learn to stop being in foul trouble every second.

Hicks said this somewhere else and I thought it made a lot of sense - a lighter, less bulky JO will probably have better luck with the injuries. I think JO tried to get too big and become something he's not.

Hicks
07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Unless the Al deal falls apart, I think it will be JO. After that, I could see Rick benching Granger in favor of Al, and keeping Jeff in the starting lineup.

bulletproof
07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Hicks, has your head in your avatar been airbrushed?

Robertmto
07-25-2006, 08:17 PM
JO is just way to soft to play center. Even in the watered down East he isnt strong enough to fill the lane.

Haywood
Big Ben
Shaq
Howard
Krstic
JO
Zydrunas
Dalembert

Which name doesn't belong?

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
JO is just way to soft to play center. Even in the watered down East he isnt strong enough to fill the lane.

Haywood
Big Ben
Shaq
Howard
Krstic
JO
Zydrunas
Dalembert

Soft? I wouldn't say that. Jermaine would abuse Krstic, Haywood, and Dalembert and he plays Big Ben, Howard, quite fine. Now Zydrunas, he just can't guard him because he's too big.

Robertmto
07-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Soft? I wouldn't say that.

Why not?

Jermaine would abuse Krstic

Did you watch the playoffs?

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Jermaine soft :lmao:

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Why not?

Did you watch the playoffs?

It wasn't Krstic that was guarding him. J.O. is a superior PF and C in this league. He certainly is a top 15 player and this year can put him back in the top 10 category.

indygeezer
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
IMO it is playing the 5 that causes JO to end up on the DL 1/2 way thru each season...bad idea IMO.

Anthem
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Our starting center should be Brenden Haywoode.

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 08:40 PM
:puke:

OakMoses
07-25-2006, 08:42 PM
JO should start at C.

One thing that bringing Al onboard will allow the Pacers to do is rest JO more. They should do something like Phoenix does with Nash during the regular season, limiting him to like 35 min/game tops. They couldn't do this in the past because there's never been an inside scoring presence other than JO since Al left the first time, unless you count the 20 or so games Artest played over the last two years.

Say this is the starting lineup: Tinsley, Daniels, Granger, Harrington, O'Neal.
Then at the 8 minute mark: Tinsley, Jackson, Granger, Harrington, Foster or Harrison.

There are still viable interior scoring options (Harrington, Harrison) in that lineup. In the past O'Neal would have played the entire first quarter then either Foster or Harrison and Croshere would have been in the frontcourt. Harrison could score, but was in foul trouble all the time.

This is the strategy I'd like to see Carlisle go for.

Robertmto
07-25-2006, 08:45 PM

QFT

And the Wizards wouldn't want much in return fo rhim either - just a contract (guard preferably) that would match.

Ruffin/Haywood for Jax works. Wiz would do this because they could move Caron to the 3 and start Jax at the 2. That woudl also make Jeffries expendable.

BlueNGold
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
JO is not really soft. He does not have the lower body strength to contend with a fairly large number of Centers in the league. Jeff Foster, a smallish center, even has a stronger lower body.

However, if you want to equate soft with injury prone I might agree. JO has proven to be injury prone. He needs to play around 80 games at a high level before my opinion changes.

317Kim
07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
1. JO is far from soft.
2. In the playoffs, JO didn't play too well and it seemed like Kristic was playing better but that's all an illusion. Game 3.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/PACERSGURL/JO30-15.jpg

Anyhow, I think JO and Jeff will be sharing the role as starting center.

Anthem
07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Ruffin/Haywood for Jax works. Wiz would do this because they could move Caron to the 3 and start Jax at the 2. That woudl also make Jeffries expendable.
I'm telling ya, man, Tinsley and Jack for Haywoode and Daniels. Have your people call my people.

If you don't feel it's fair, you could always throw in Jeffries to even it out.

rm1369
07-25-2006, 09:30 PM
JO. I'll just copy what I posted in one of the Al threads:

I don't understand why everyone believes JO's a 4 and Foster is a 5? Is Foster any more physical than JO? Is Foster's lack of offence the deciding factor? Or is it because Foster plays the tougher matchup on D?

JO has typically been guarded by the opposing teams best post defender - regardless of their position. That will not change much. JO has typically guarded the opposing teams weakest scoring big. That will not change. The team is opting to go with Als offense in place of Fosters defence and rebounding. Because the 4 and 5 spot are interchangable on most teams, most matchups will stay the same, IMO. Shaq, Yao, and Z are the only centers that concern me with JO guarding them. Mismatches typically go both ways and none of those guys can guard JO either. We have a bench that can be used if necessary for those guys, but I woukd prefer that we make other teams matchup to us.

JO is the 2nd best center in the league. He would be the 4th or 5th best power forward in the league. So IMO, center is JO's best position. The key is finding a 4 that compliments him better. IMO Al fits that bill by taking some of the scoring load off of JO - making it harder to double him with the other big. It gives us another big to relieve JO in the post and / or someone to be a post option if JO is hurt, has an off game, or bad matchup. It should help makes us much less predictable on offence.

Obviously we still have issues I'd like to see addressed in the backcourt, but I believe fixing our froncourt rotation is an importanat issue as well. JO / Al / Granger - backedup by Foster / Harrison looks very good to me.

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
:gill:

rexnom
07-25-2006, 09:58 PM
You guys need to get with the program. Did anyone watch the West playoffs this year? SA trying to keep small and failing time and time again until they were playing Michael Finley at PF. Chris Kaman being completely taken out of the series by the agile Suns front court. Dirk Nowitzki spending as much time at center as Dampier or Diop. JO is perfect for center, especially in the East. If JO works on it he could take the East by storm the way Amare did two years ago. Seriously.

Unclebuck
07-25-2006, 10:30 PM
JO. I'll just copy what I posted in one of the Al threads:

I don't understand why everyone believes JO's a 4 and Foster is a 5? Is Foster any more physical than JO? Is Foster's lack of offence the deciding factor? Or is it because Foster plays the tougher matchup on D?

JO has typically been guarded by the opposing teams best post defender - regardless of their position. That will not change much. JO has typically guarded the opposing teams weakest scoring big. That will not change. The team is opting to go with Als offense in place of Fosters defence and rebounding. Because the 4 and 5 spot are interchangable on most teams, most matchups will stay the same, IMO. Shaq, Yao, and Z are the only centers that concern me with JO guarding them. Mismatches typically go both ways and none of those guys can guard JO either. We have a bench that can be used if necessary for those guys, but I woukd prefer that we make other teams matchup to us.

JO is the 2nd best center in the league. He would be the 4th or 5th best power forward in the league. So IMO, center is JO's best position. The key is finding a 4 that compliments him better. IMO Al fits that bill by taking some of the scoring load off of JO - making it harder to double him with the other big. It gives us another big to relieve JO in the post and / or someone to be a post option if JO is hurt, has an off game, or bad matchup. It should help makes us much less predictable on offence.

Obviously we still have issues I'd like to see addressed in the backcourt, but I believe fixing our froncourt rotation is an importanat issue as well. JO / Al / Granger - backedup by Foster / Harrison looks very good to me.

Great post

Young
07-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah with the way the NBA is going Jermaine can play center.

If Boris Diaw can play center why can't Jermaine?

Now of course it depends on your style too.

Anyways if we get Al, Jermaine should start at center, if the Al deal falls through that Jeff should start at center.

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Before this thread gets locked too, I just had to say,

:lmao:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=443119#post443119

Jumper
07-25-2006, 10:46 PM
I want to see JO at center

JO's best year was when he was paired with Brad Miller, oh god Hicks please don't start yet. Why? Well JO occupied the low post while Miller sat at the top of the key, used pick and roll, passing skills, and a midrange jumper that kept other defenses honest on him. All the while JO had room to roam and you all can remember how he played. Now, with Jeff you have someone who can pick, but he can't roll, pass, or shoot. With Harrison you have someone who can't really do any of those but has a bag of nifty post moves. Enter Al, he has the midrange jumper, is a superior passer to Jeff and DH, and lets hope he can set a screen then roll.

I really think JO could excel with Al on the court with him. Add to that Granger's ability to defend anyone except for Shaq and clean up everywhere, and I see big things.

purdue101
07-25-2006, 10:57 PM
I want to see JO at center

JO's best year was when he was paired with Brad Miller, oh god Hicks please don't start yet. Why? Well JO occupied the low post while Miller sat at the top of the key, used pick and roll, passing skills, and a midrange jumper that kept other defenses honest on him. All the while JO had room to roam and you all can remember how he played. Now, with Jeff you have someone who can pick, but he can't roll, pass, or shoot. With Harrison you have someone who can't really do any of those but has a bag of nifty post moves. Enter Al, he has the midrange jumper, is a superior passer to Jeff and DH, and lets hope he can set a screen then roll.

I really think JO could excel with Al on the court with him. Add to that Granger's ability to defend anyone except for Shaq and clean up everywhere, and I see big things.

good reasoning......i tend to agree with this. one of the main reasons jo excelled in 03/04 was b/c he did have miller keeping the other big out of the paint. i agree, al should be able to accomplish the same thing. the only problem i see is the other positions on the floor. in 03/04 we had reggie keeping the perimeter on their heels......as we stand now, we don't have a guy like that on our roster. i can just picture jo getting swarmed by the opposing teams 2/3 positions.

Destined4Greatness
07-26-2006, 11:03 AM
If JO can't play Center for a season then why the hell are they even trying ot get Harrington unless they intend to trade JO next offseason. Either JO plays Center, and deals with it. Or we can send him to hell(Atlanta) in the Harrington deal. Trade them JO for Harrington and a First. Get us a nice TE, a First round pick and We can just have Harrison or Foster start at C.

I am so tired of alternating starting lineup. I want the Starting lineup in November to be the starting lineup the first playoff game.

LG33
07-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Well now that we lost out on Pittsnogle:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/07/26/pittsnogle.ap/index.html?section=si_latest

I guess we'll have to settle for Foster (Australian for C)

PacerMan
07-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Well now that we lost out on Pittsnogle:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/07/26/pittsnogle.ap/index.html?section=si_latest

I guess we'll have to settle for Foster (Australian for C)

Were the Pacers trying to sign him?

I like his game for Jermaine.

Rinuven
07-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Agree with nearly all of this.

For all intents and purposes JO has been our center since his arrival, in regards to offensive play. Assuming the Al deal goes through and there are no other changes, I see our starting 5 as Tinsley, Jackson, Granger, Harrington, JO, with Daniels being the first off the bench for 2 or 3 and maybe even the 1 at times. That is assuming also that Daniels doesn't beat out Jackson for the starting job at the 2.

I personally like Tinsley's game (I'm ducking to avoid the mudslinging), but am concerned about his reliability. Who is going to be our regular back-up at that spot is still an enigma to me. Is Sarunas ready for a more expanded role? I think this is a much bigger question than who is starting at center.

I think JO is ready and willing to start at center with Al returning by his side. I think the movement management is taking is not one where you have the stereotypical player at each position, but more of trying to put the most effective 5 basketball players on the floor. I think JO will buy into that, I think they all will.

CableKC
07-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I know that we need to upgrade at the Center position...and may have...technically done so IF we switch JONeal to that spot ( whether he likes it or not ).....but given a likely PF/C rotation of JONeal, Harrington, Foster, Harrison.....with a dash of Granger/Shawne in there.....how many minutes would be left for another Big Man?

If there is any......I would hope that we are not paying more then 2-3 mil for a Big Man that will likely be a 5th Big Man off the bench.

The only way is if we shift Harrington to the left a little by giving him some SF minutes on top of his PF minutes.

Either way....its difficult to figure out what additional players we should get until we find out whether Foster or Harrison is moved in the near future.

I would also suggest the same cam be said for SJax.....as it will be difficult to fit in minutes for a Big Man if we have a solid SG/SF rotation of SJax/Marquis/Granger that would not allow too many minutes for Harrington at the SF spot....hence no additional minutes for anyone at the PF/C rotation.

LG33
07-26-2006, 03:21 PM
We were never interested in Pittsnogle, but I can't wait to see him in the NBA...I never dreamed this day would come!

From Wikipedia:
"During the 2005 NCAA tournament, Pittsnogle became a fan favorite of many due to his West Virginia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia) upbringing (he was the only Mountaineers basketball player who was from West Virginia), his unusual last name, and his colorful image. He is known around the West Virginia campus for receiving many tattoos on his body symbolizing things he has endured in his life.

Kevin Pittsnogle inspired the verb "Pittsnogled" (past tense) deriving from the observable facts and events that led to Pittsnogle going from reserve center to cult hero in the space of a few frantic weeks leading up to the 2005 NCAA Elite Eight. His former high school basketball team manager, Justin Turner, defines the term as this: "When you're closely guarded and a man is in your face with his hand up and you shoot a 25-footer and you nail it in their face then they have officially been Pittsnogled."

He learned to shoot his jump shot by playing against his sister, who was taller than he was when they were children. They played on the gravel court of the trailer park where they grew up. "

FlavaDave
07-26-2006, 03:40 PM
I would start Harrington/JO/Harrison. Then, I would sub in Foster at center for most of the middle quarters, with JO/Harrington/Granger splitting the 3/4 spots with the rookies. Then, I would close the game out with Granger/Harrington/JO.

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 01:26 AM

Haywood
Big Ben
Shaq
Howard
Krstic
JO
Zydrunas
Dalembert

LMAO a Wizards fan calling JO soft. Yeah, Arenas was real hardcore choking at the line because Lebron scared him.

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 01:35 AM
LMAO a Wizards fan calling JO soft. Yeah, Arenas was real hardcore choking at the line because Lebron scared him.

JO isn't soft?

The last person on a court he scared was the fat Mexican kid during the brawl.

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Oh yeah, he never scares anybody. That's why coaches develop schemes to keep the ball out of his hands. Because he's so soft.

And anything's better than Arenas, who craps his pants because he knows how much better Lebron is than he'll ever be.

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Edited to keep from hurting Robertmo's feelings.

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm nto going to sit here and argue over this. One - it will more than likely get deleted anyway. And 2 JO is soft. Look at his injuries which more than likely stemmed from being banged around by physically stronger players day in and day out.

Jay Ohh
07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
Okay...bigger and stronger players. Alright, so if Danny Granger plays PF full time and gets posted up all the time because he's smaller and ends up getting innjured because he's guarding people 100 pounds over him then he's soft. Okay, great logic there. Thanks for clarifying.

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Okay...bigger and stronger players. Alright, so if Danny Granger plays PF full time and gets posted up all the time because he's smaller and ends up getting innjured because he's guarding people 100 pounds over him then he's soft. Okay, great logic there. Thanks for clarifying.

If Danny Granger starts at PF full time Carlisle, Bird, O'Neill, JO, Harrison, Foster, the Simons, Granger and you should all be cut and or fired.

Ron who?
07-27-2006, 05:28 AM
umm i wouldn't say JO is soft i would say that he is being attacked by two players whenever he gets the ball.. if u get double teamed all the time no matter how "hard" u are it will eventually tear on ur body... i dont believe JO is soft but i wouldnt say he is exactly the strongest guy ever... and o yeah when i saw ur list the people i would say dont belong are:
Kristic
Haywood
Zydrunas
Dalembert

able
07-27-2006, 05:41 AM
JO "soft", "injury prone" let's see, First major injury, ECF 04; undercut by BW, overextends knee on landing, nasty sight, plays again remainder, beit in brace and limpy.
Year after, Has arm pulled backwards, by (I believe Elson, not to sure on that) rips shoulder, takes free throws with one hand and gets treated.
Last year, had ankle injury, was asked to play to soon, did it like the true warrior he is, as a result tore his groin. played remainder of season.

Let's get some reality back into this board; an "injury prone" player is a player who gets injured every time, tripping, bumping anything with a constant result of injuries, notsinus-infections, not mis-diagnosed injuries, not playing to soon with an injury because the team needs you, but simply getting injured continuously over nothing like in training doing a sprint or shooting a ball and pulling muscles.

JO is anything but injury prone, if you want to argue he is soft, then please give me examples, and while you are at it, explain why the most dominant C in the league says of JO that he is the only big man in the East that he respects.

Wish some of you could give the same respect to our frnachise player as one of the most dominante C's in the league does, woudl be like a breath of fresh air.

rexnom
07-27-2006, 05:44 AM
JO isn't soft?

The last person on a court he scared was the fat Mexican kid during the brawl.
Remember when he scared the living crap out of Udonis Haslem, considered one of the toughest guys in the league, so much that Shaq had to step in and put his hand on JO's throat but not even that scared him.

JO is a nice guy but he is far from soft. And even on the court, he has the highest pain threshold of any Pacer I've seen.

I'm sorry Robertmo but you're just plain wrong here...you don't really have much of an argument.

The Hustler
07-27-2006, 05:49 AM
aye J.O aint soft ... Its the constant battleing with the teams best Big defender at one end and then battling with the best Post player at the other. .. hes taking 2 guys on each game at there strengths .... always gunna be hard work!

rexnom
07-27-2006, 05:50 AM
As for this center thing, the JO/Harrington/Danny/Hulk/Foster/Williams front court (with guys like Jack, Marquis, and Flight being able to swing and play the 3) would be the envy of pretty much any team in the NBA. You have tons of talent in there, tons of potential, one guy who is a perennial starting all-star, one guy who has all-star talent, and one guy who is a clear-cut future all-star. On top of that you have solid bench guys. I'd say a Pollard or other third-string center wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but otherwise we're pretty much set here (IF we get Harrington). The back court is what would be keeping us from anything special because as of right now we have one of the worst backcourts in the NBA. That's just fact.

Destined4Greatness
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I can't believe people are saying JO isn't injury prone. Since those 04 playoffs he has had injuries to his Knee, ankle, foot, wrist, shoulder, and groin. Plus he missed 3 games for the flu. If thats not injury prone I don't know who is. And thats with his 15 game suspension if it hadn't been for that he very easily could have hurt something else.

People need to admit it, our Starting PG and PF are injury prone. And Marquis Daniels and Foster are on the fence.

able
07-27-2006, 01:10 PM
I can't believe people are saying JO isn't injury prone. Since those 04 playoffs he has had injuries to his Knee, ankle, foot, wrist, shoulder, and groin. Plus he missed 3 games for the flu. If thats not injury prone I don't know who is. And thats with his 15 game suspension if it hadn't been for that he very easily could have hurt something else.

People need to admit it, our Starting PG and PF are injury prone. And Marquis Daniels and Foster are on the fence.

"People" need to read before they post, where are your arguments besides calling a number of body parts that he alledgedly injured?

3 games with the flu ? WOW that sure is a sign a player is "injury prone" though the last time I read up on it I could find nothing describing the flue as an "injury".

Come back when you have an argument that goes somewhere, until then you shout way to much and produce zero proof.

Destined4Greatness
07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
The fact that he missed games or played hurt from injuries to his knee, shoulder, wrist, foot, ankle and groin. Is the proof. Um see those are facts, they happened. When a guy hurts that many body parts in the course of 2 calendar years, hes injury prone.

Diesel_81
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
I believe that some of Jermaine Oneal's injury problems are because of the added wieght.I think over the past couple of seasons he added alot of weight rather quickly and his body just didn't handle it well.I think with a lighter JO we can exploit his quickness advantage at the center spot especially if we are playing a quicker pace.

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 03:00 PM

Haywood
Big Ben
Shaq
Howard
Krstic
JO
Zydrunas
Dalembert

Which name doesn't belong?lmao at this herb. You really need to step your life up, if life were pokemon cards you would be a level 6 Stanleymon.

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
lmao at this herb. You really need to step your life up, if life were pokemon cards you would be a level 6 Stanleymon.

I wish I understood that ...... on second thot I really don't.

Shade
07-27-2006, 05:03 PM
:gill:

QFT

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I wish I understood that ...... on second thot I really don't.Dont quote my posts, you are making me look bad.

Robertmto
07-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Dont quote my posts, you are making me look bad.

just to be a jackass

JO's Soft

Jermaniac
07-28-2006, 04:51 AM
If JO is soft then the whole Wizards team is terry cloth

AesopRockOn
07-28-2006, 07:26 AM
I think JO does favor one of his shoulders, not sure which one.
Most of the aforementioned injuries occured in unusual fashion. He has had some bad luck.
For the question, I agree with FlavaDave. It will take some of the pressure off of JO and the other bigs.

Robertmto
07-28-2006, 09:10 PM
If JO is soft then the whole Wizards team is terry cloth

5-3

The Wizards record against the Pacers the last 2 years. They have also won more playoff games the last two years.

Not too terry cloth.

BlueNGold
07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
I think JO does favor one of his shoulders, not sure which one.
Most of the aforementioned injuries occured in unusual fashion. He has had some bad luck.
For the question, I agree with FlavaDave. It will take some of the pressure off of JO and the other bigs.

JO still favors his right shoulder to some extent due to the injury he suffered against Denver. He will not go through traffic with his right hand and blocks most shots with his left hand.