PDA

View Full Version : Majerus turned down job as Nuggets asst

Frank Slade
07-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Updated: July 25, 2006, 5:39 PM ET
Majerus turned down job as Nuggets assistant

Associated Press

DENVER -- Former Utah coach Rick Majerus has turned down an offer to become an assistant to Denver Nuggets coach George Karl, the team said Tuesday.

"[Karl] offered me the job a month ago," Majerus told the Rocky Mountain News in Tuesday's editions. "But I can't move [to Denver] right now."

Majerus, 58, coached the Utes from 1989 until January 2004, when he stepped down for health reasons. He was 323-95 at Utah and led the team to 10 NCAA Tournament appearances.

He now lives in Milwaukee, works as an ESPN college analyst and cares for his mother, Alyce.

The Nuggets are seeking a replacement for assistant coach Scott Brooks, who left last month for Sacramento. Nuggets spokesman Tim Gelt said the team has no timetable to fill the position.

Majerus is a longtime friend of Karl's and plans to be in Denver from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 to help him with training camp, which begins Oct. 3.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2529347)

It's not that long of a drive from Mil to Indy :chin:

grace
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
The mess that is the Indiana Pacers would be too much of a strain on his heart.

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Just a note. I used to credit George Karl for the exceptional scouting job Milwaukee did on us in 2000, until Grace reminded me recently that he had had Majerus scout us for him. If it hadn't been for Reggie/Travis/Dale, we'd never have made it to the Finals cause he gave Karl the most perfect game plan I've ever seen.

The man is just a genius of basketball. I remember back during March Madness he was on SportsBash and Eric started out asking him about UConn. Rick then spent the whole 10 minute segment breaking down every rotation player, their strengths and weaknesses, the sets they ran on both sides of the ball, and how to beat them, drawing from each of the 3 losses they'd had that year and why. Eric then said they needed to get him on for the whole show.

I don't care if it's grade schoolers or the NBA, I'd give the man any amount of money necessary to coach my team. It's too bad he can't get himself healthy.

Big Smooth
07-26-2006, 03:30 AM
I don't care if it's grade schoolers or the NBA, I'd give the man any amount of money necessary to coach my team. It's too bad he can't get himself healthy.

Majerus is a brilliant basketball mind, no doubt about it. I really wish he'd get his health in order. Shoot, I'll take him on the Pacers staff in any capacity be it assistant coach, scout or consultant.

Quick question: was he still coach at Ball State when they almost beat UNLV in 1990? I still cringe at how the Cardinals should have beaten Tark's Sharks. And BSU was the only team to give UNLV a serious scare in that tourney. 69-67 wasn't it? Grrrrr.

grace
07-26-2006, 11:33 AM
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,70001091,00.html

According to this he left in '89.