PDA

View Full Version : I think I've mentioned this before...PD Chemistry

indygeezer
07-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I've noticed a distinct shift in attitude around here since the brawl. Prior to the brawl people had disagreements but they were civil. Now, ya never know who may go postal. OK, that's an exaggeration but it seems that this board is shattering into numerous camps.

Those that love/hate TPTB, those that want TPTB castrated and sent to Afghanistan.
There are those that love/hate Artest, Jackson,Tinsley, Carlisle, Mark Boyle (uh ok, wrong there)....on and on ad infinitum.
Those that want to ship out 18 of the players and those that want to bring back Al, Brad, Ron, Detlef, Derrick, Adrian, and Dave Robisch. And there are those that are so stuck to their personnal favorites that the fav is bound to have a massive hickey on their backside by now.

Did the brawl affect morale that much around here or has the board just grown in numbers and thus the divergence of opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a kissee kissee lovefest all the time but the bitterness being expressed toward or between certain posters is getting depressing.

btowncolt
07-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Shut up!

I agree, really. There are a number of people who post I can't even read anymore because it's either the same thing over and over and over and over again, or there's just some unnecessary bru-ha-ha going on.

Most of mods do what they can, but they can't post for people.

Coop
07-25-2006, 07:25 PM
:laugh:

Los Angeles
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Kudos on the Rubbish reference.

The board is getting bigger which means there are more personalities to clash, and it's the off-season, which means anyone can stubbornly claim to be right without any game-play to back it up.

I can't wait for November!

btowncolt
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM

The board is getting bigger, and it's the off-season, which means anyone can stubbornly claim to be right without any game-play to back it up.

Yeah, it's definitely on off-season thing.........but since the Pacers have entered the off-season around February the last couple years, it seems to have been going on forever.

I don't have any advice on what to do.

jjbjjbjjb
07-25-2006, 07:29 PM
We were winning a lot before the brawl. Winning solves everything, papers over differences, makes honey flow through the veins down to the fingers a-typing. :buddies: "Ohhh, demon victory, sad defeats I can't recall..."

Frank Slade
07-25-2006, 07:33 PM

The board is getting bigger which means there are more personalities to clash, and it's the off-season, which means anyone can stubbornly claim to be right without any game-play to back it up.

Can I get a :amen: ?

bulletproof
07-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I think it's global warming. People tend to get irritable when it gets hotter.

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I think it's global warming. People tend to get irritable when it gets hotter.
They just can't handle the sunshine :sunshine:

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 07:40 PM
The brawl didn't change me. Reason #1 did.

[edit] And by the way Geezer, Grace absolutely can't stand you ever since she found out you were a Michigan fan. But she's too nice to say it herself. :tongue:

pizza guy
07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Honestly, there are some quick tempers and high tensions sometimes, but I really enjoy reading this board. Good banter makes great reading; as long as it doesn't turn into "oh yeah, well, your momma's so fat..." childish bickering. That happens sometimes, but, as a general rule, I think the mods do a great job, and the maturity level of 99% of the posters here is above that.

I read another board occasionally (not Pacers) and it's impossible to appreciate what's being discussed because while there are many good posters, there are too many childish, ignorant trolls. The mods there keep a tight reign on it, and it's almost too tight for my liking. Once someone makes a stupid comment there, 15 other people jump on them with personal insults, and that gets tiring, especially if it's a mod.

So, while PD can get a little hostile sometimes, it's a very well-regulated board, both by mods and by posters who simply understand what is acceptable and what is not. This is as good a place as any to say 'kudos' to the mods, and 'thank you' to my fellow posters for making this an awesome place.

Familiarity breeds contempt, they say, and when we have nothing but each other in the off-season, we can get into it a little. But, overall, this is an amazing place.

Unclebuck
07-25-2006, 07:57 PM

That is is

bulldog
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Familiarity breeds contempt, they say, and when we have nothing but each other in the off-season, we can get into it a little. But, overall, this is an amazing place.

I think that's exactly it. The same topics over and over for the past few months.

Then again, you'd think TPTB would address these issues so we wouldn't have to keep talking about them.

BTW, I think we should trade Jax. And Tinsley.

Suaveness
07-25-2006, 08:06 PM
I, personally, enjoyed the board more in the beginning. Either way, it's better than 99% of those out there. While there are some who express their opinions in ways that we may not like, it's still fun to read.

tdubb03
07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm not what you'd call a valued PD poster. I've been here maybe 2/3 months. But even in that short time I've been amazed how many people actually post here. I can't prove it, but it seems like PD has triple as many users as any other team-specific message board. And while a lot of info/opinions get repeated a lot, Pacers Digest has the most well-informed and passionate posters I've seen on the internet. After all, this is Indiana.

indygeezer
07-25-2006, 08:24 PM
The brawl didn't change me. Reason #1 did.

[edit] And by the way Geezer, Grace absolutely can't stand you ever since she found out you were a Michigan fan. But she's too nice to say it herself. :tongue:

shhhhhh

I'll let ya in on a secret............I only root for the Wolverines 'cause I get freebie tix. I attended Indiana State and graduated from the Uni of Indianapolis.....but GO Greyhounds just doesn't have much ring to it.

Besides....this way I get to root for a winner every once ina while.

(edit) (I secretly root for Notre Dame too)

Tell yer sis I loves her although anyone who might root for Chicago......I dunno.

grace
07-25-2006, 08:28 PM
(edit) (I secretly root for Notre Dame too)

Now Kegboy doesn't like you either.

indygeezer
07-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Now Kegboy doesn't like you either.

I'm Irish/English, Catholic, and my kids go to Cathedral....what can I say?? :blush:

Shade
07-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Expansion breeds diversity.

And it's the offseason.

Bball
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
When the team is winning there's less to complain about. When the team sucks and is in disarray then either everyone has their own ideas about how to fix it...or wants to pretend nothing is wrong.... or thinks everything will magically (or however) work out for the best.

-Bball

GO!!!!!
07-25-2006, 09:05 PM
it's a mass invasion of immigrants who have no social understanding and ability to communicate on an normal acceptable level in this sociaty

I'm bored... when does NBALIVE 07 come out....

Anthem
07-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Those that love/hate TPTB, those that want TPTB castrated and sent to Afghanistan.
There are those that love/hate Artest, Jackson,Tinsley, Carlisle, Mark Boyle (uh ok, wrong there)....on and on ad infinitum.
Those that want to ship out 18 of the players and those that want to bring back Al, Brad, Ron, Detlef, Derrick, Adrian, and Dave Robisch. And there are those that are so stuck to their personnal favorites that the fav is bound to have a massive hickey on their backside by now.
Which group am I in?

ability to communicate on an normal acceptable level in this sociaty
I admit, I found this hilarious.

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I, personally, enjoyed the board more in the beginning.

Yes, back before the PB/JJ war turned brother against brother and divided a nation. :cry:

Will Galen
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
We were winning a lot before the brawl. Winning solves everything, papers over differences, makes honey flow through the veins down to the fingers a-typing. :buddies: "Ohhh, demon victory, sad defeats I can't recall..."

Good points! When your team wins most people suck up their complaints, but the longer the team loses the more people start complaining.

I think if we would win the NBA championship it would be jubilee around here for about a week and then it would get rather blah.

Hey KStat, Shags? How did you guys feel after the jubilee wore off after Detroit won? Did you have as much to talk about?

indygeezer
07-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Which group am I in?

I'm pretty certain you fall in the group that wants to bring back Derrick McKey.

Chauncey
07-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Yes, back before the PB/JJ war turned brother against brother and divided a nation. :cry:

??????????????????????????

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 10:55 PM
??????????????????????????

Once again, when is someone gonna write a board history section?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4141&highlight=expansion+draft

Suaveness
07-25-2006, 11:00 PM

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4141&highlight=expansion+draft

What can you expect, when some people just don't understand that PB isn't good? :-p

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM
What can you expect, when some people just don't understand that PB isn't good? :-p

The sad thing is, I don't remember bumping that thread, and it was only 3 months ago.

:geezer:

Anthem
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm pretty certain you fall in the group that wants to bring back Derrick McKey.
:laugh:

Chauncey
07-25-2006, 11:13 PM

That would have to be a giant collaboration...a lot of us were posting together as far back as before the RATS message board existed..it was indianasgame.com before it became the RATS board.

Naptown_Seth
07-25-2006, 11:16 PM
That is it
I'll QFT the QFT. November solves everything.

Since finally jumping over here to interact I really notice the difference between here and RATS. I have some great friends at RATS that I won't give up discussing Pacers with, but you can see how troll filled it is. Every other post is from some new poster and most of those are some outrageous claim in any of a number of directions.

We just had the Pacers survivor game going (still is) and a bunch of people signed up just to save SarJas in the voting, plus voting more than 1 a day, etc. That kind of stuff is why I find PD more pleasant overall.

And in total I think there is a lot more knowledge at PD. RATS has a group of about 30-40 posters I really like to talk to and listen to, but the crap you have to wade through...

Here at least the bickering seems more understood and friendly, even if people do camp out a certain opinion and defend that territory to the death. And in the meantime you get a smiley version of Raging Bull.

:beat::hissyfit: :box: :applaud: :box: :scream::boxer::dance::boxer::dance::boxer::banana dea

:swear: YOU :censored: MY WIFE!?! YOU :censored: MY WIFE!?!

:maniac:

:fatbanana

the end

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
That would have to be a giant collaboration...a lot of us were posting together as far back as before the RATS message board existed..it was indianasgame.com before it became the RATS board.

I know. I said when I first brought it up that we've got enough old foggies that still ramble about stuff like "Core" that it'd be covered.

SoupIsGood
07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Someone should just start an official 'PD History' thread, where everyone adds their own blurbs about what they remember. Then, after awhile Hicks can take the contributions and just edit them into one big collection of history, instead of one person having to write it all himself.

SycamoreKen
07-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Personally, I don't see the mood and interactions on the board being much worse than in the past. My perspective comes as one who posts more in the off season than during the season. The reason for that is 1. I'm off work in the summer, thus I have more time. 2. I don't get to see many games during the season , so I try not to comment on things that I don't see every game.
I think things are pretty civil, but then again, if a thread gets to petty I usually bail on it and quit reading.

Big Smooth
07-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Did the brawl affect morale that much around here or has the board just grown in numbers and thus the divergence of opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a kissee kissee lovefest all the time but the bitterness being expressed toward or between certain posters is getting depressing.

I blame it on witchcraft.

I don't know, I've been posting on a number of Internet boards for 10 years now and I think there is always that portion of the populance that likes to ruffle feathers. Not sure I see this place as being much different although more closely moderated which isn't bad.

The offseason is too farking long, let's face it. That and we need to bring back Stipo. All opposed to bringing back Stipo must be utterly crushed and destroyed. I've already got "Stipo's Army" t-shirts in the works.

Okay fine, I've got too much time on my hands. Being laid off does that. But I'm starting a new job on Monday which means I can afford to keep NBA League Pass and NFL Sunday Ticket!!!! WOOOOOT!!! :D

Ron who?
07-26-2006, 03:33 AM
I'm bored... when does NBALIVE 07 come out....

seriously... im dying here... i want Al Harrington on my team w/o me having to put him there dammit!

Big Smooth
07-26-2006, 03:55 AM

Say what you will but BORE pwned CORE.

Peck
07-26-2006, 04:12 AM
Oh the core is here....

the core is always here.....

the core is watching, waiting, stalking.....

When you least expect it, when your guard is down, the core will rise up once again & take its rightfull place as Omnipotent overlord of your thoughts...

In other words,

All ur bases R belong to us

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Chauncey
07-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Honestly, I'd like a sticky thread with a list of running aliases, that way I'm not confused. Some people post on here that refer to the past and obviously know me, but I have no clue who they are because their names have changed

FWIW, I've only had one screen name here and at RATS..just one..its always been Chauncey..its never been yecnuahC, Mr._Basketball, or anything else (there are like 4-5 others..can't remember..that I ummm.."didn't use") and I've never been banned from either forum or purposely gotten banned and snuck back in..thats definitely never happened either :)

FrenchConnection
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
This board is one of the best sports boards on the net. I have two favorite teams, the Pacers and the Buffalo Sabres. My Sabres board is all doom and gloom and is infested with Leafs and Flyers trolls. It would be like as if half of the posters on here had the outlook of Indy Toad and the other half were Knicks' or Pistons' fans.

DisplacedKnick
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Can't speak for anyone else but I'm just not getting enough sex. :cry:

Knucklehead Warrior
07-26-2006, 09:58 AM
1. We were winning big time and expected big things from our team pre-brawl. We didn't win a championship or even come close and we're a bit snippy about it.
2. We have had a lot of team personnel changes and that breeds discussion and disagreement.

Nevertheless the little discord I see here is nothing compared to other boards where any poster is insulted, sometimes multiple times, and some posters apologize in advance for posting at all.
Geezer, sometimes I feel like I need to get away from PD for awhile and I've done that and it helps my perspective. And a good ignore list is worth its weight in gold.

EDIT: Ignore this drivel. I've now had a chance to "read" some of the threads I imagine Geez is referring to and I know what the problem is, AGAIN.

Unclebuck
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM

OK, not sure if any of us can help you with that. But thanks for sharing

Skaut_Ech
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM

I give and give and give and you're just never satisfied.

Be honest. amd I getting fat? :sad:

bulletproof
07-26-2006, 10:41 AM

:shudder:

BillS
07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Ketchup.

Ketchup has natural mellowing agents that prevent sports forum posters from getting too excited about life.

We all need more ketchup.

Bball
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM

With the ever increasing prices of duct tape and leather, it makes it too expensive to have much sex.

-Bball :tongue:

317Kim
07-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Aaaaah. Why did I choose to read Page 2 of this thread? :eek:

Suaveness
07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
It's conversations like these that make us so close....

...which is why I've decided to take an extended vacation

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 11:19 AM
EDIT: Ignore this drivel. I've now had a chance to "read" some of the threads I imagine Geez is referring to and I know what the problem is, AGAIN.

(Not picking on KW)...

for those of you that "know" what the elephant in the room is, please say something.

We have an interesting challenge between growth/ new members and maintaining a place that the regular members of our community feel like "home." We don't want to be cliquish, but we do want a moderated/ civil board and that's not for everyone. For example, we've gotten rid of post counts so that newer members would feel more comfortable and not be inspired to make an excessive amount of "nonsense" posts.

I happen to enjoy having "civil" debates/ discussions about the Pacers/ NBA and we've had a lot of new posters from the past year (and I'm not going to name names because I'll leave someone out) that have strongly contributed to that. And I think that's great.

But there are some other 'former' regulars that aren't around as much that I miss. Ragnar... in particular... seems to be leaving me all alone on Tinsley Island and I need help! :(

Perhaps they're busy or they've just moved on (or disappeared for the summer), but if there is something wrong that you can identify let one of us know and we'll figure out if we can 'fix' it or not.

grace
07-26-2006, 11:26 AM
And a good ignore list is worth its weight in gold.

:grinyes: :trashshake:

bulletproof
07-26-2006, 11:30 AM

Kravitz! I knew it! He's turning us against each other.

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Kravitz! I knew it! He's turning us against each other.

Okay, we'll look into banning him from the site. :rolleyes:

:-p

Doug
07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Things always get a bit surly in the summer as we go stir-crazy waiting for things to happen.

With the Pacer's implosions of the past two years, the board started the summer surly.

That would make it surlier than normal.

I like the word "surly".

Wasn't Surly the mean one of the Three Stoogies?

RWB
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Wasn't Surly the mean one of the Three Stoogies?

No, I think you're thinking of Hemp. But wasn't he the mellow one?

JayRedd
07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Pretty new here, but I feel like this has been a good place to discuss all the turmoil of our team. Compared to other sports boards I've frequented, I'd have to say this is one of the better ones, and there aren't nearly as many "fanboy" types that can't look at things objectively. There is obviously a little bickering here and that there I've noticed, but this is the Internet and all, and it generally seems more cordial and based on passion for the issue at hand as opposed to the personal grudge stuff you often see on other boards.

In other words, good forum you guys have here and I'm glad a Google search led me to it. I hope I can add a little something of value to the discussion.

grace
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
But there are some other 'former' regulars that aren't around as much that I miss. Ragnar... in particular... seems to be leaving me all alone on Tinsley Island and I need help! :(

I'd gladly join you on Tinsley Island but you have to provide written permission from Jay'sWife@Section204 before I'll do it.

grace
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Okay, we'll look into banning him for the site. :rolleyes:

That's all well and good but I don't think Perkins can legally keep him from ease dropping at the after forum party.

DisplacedKnick
07-26-2006, 12:03 PM

Not in those pants you're not.

BTW - you ever think I might want to pitch once in a while? :eek:

A fella can only "take" so much. :kiss:

Chauncey
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Not in those pants you're not.

BTW - you ever think I might want to pitch once in a while? :eek:

A fella can only "take" so much. :kiss:

Its just gettin out of hand now

Suaveness
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Its just gettin out of hand now

It's getting out of pants, actually :shudder:

Suaveness
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
(Not picking on KW)...

for those of you that "know" what the elephant in the room is, please say something.

We have an interesting challenge between growth/ new members and maintaining a place that the regular members of our community feel like "home." We don't want to be cliquish, but we do want a moderated/ civil board and that's not for everyone. For example, we've gotten rid of post counts so that newer members would feel more comfortable and not be inspired to make an excessive amount of "nonsense" posts.

I happen to enjoy having "civil" debates/ discussions about the Pacers/ NBA and we've had a lot of new posters from the past year (and I'm not going to name names because I'll leave someone out) that have strongly contributed to that. And I think that's great.

Perhaps they're busy or they've just moved on (or disappeared for the summer), but if there is something wrong that you can identify let one of us know and we'll figure out if we can 'fix' it or not.

And I agree 100%. That "home" feel is why I like this place.

edit: What, no autocombine?

Bball
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
So much for 'chemistry issues' between some PD members...

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

:zip:
-Bball

DisplacedKnick
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
So much for 'chemistry issues' between some PD members...

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

:zip:
-Bball

Scott just wants me to trade Lebron to him in the Keeper League.

It's never JUST about us. (sniff)

Anthem
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, we'll look into banning him for the site. :rolleyes:

I've wondered for a while... can we track and see how many people visit the site that work in the Indystar? Their IP address is 159.54.227.116.

Slick Pinkham
07-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Scott just wants me to trade Lebron to him in the Keeper League.

Brad Miller wants to be on your team. Hey, he was healthy all season!

ABADays
07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
The only problem I have on the board is being on everyone's ignore list. Other than that I have a lot fun.

Bball
07-26-2006, 01:48 PM
If ABADays posts in this thread, let me know what he says.

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I've wondered for a while... can we track and see how many people visit the site that work in the Indystar? Their IP address is 159.54.227.116.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble:

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>159.54.227.116 : host-116.227.54.159.gannett.com

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Post IP Addresses</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 colSpan=2>No Matches Found</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Registration IP Addresses</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>No Matches Found</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ABADays
07-26-2006, 03:00 PM
If ABADays posts in this thread, let me know what he says.

:cool: stealth

Since86
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
You don't have to register to browse, do you?

able
07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
ns1.gannett.com internet address = 159.54.63.153
ns2.gannett.com internet address = 167.8.95.153
ns3.gannett.com internet address = 159.54.158.153
ns4.gannett.com internet address = 209.97.12.153

Which are only their WEBservers, not one of them WILL be used to connect to this board, in fact, no matter what connection they have ppl will connect from a masked, boxstandard local provider IP for all purposes.

Does that mean they do not connect? No, but that is not something I am prepared to go public with.

I will tell no one who logs on this site, unless there is a legal obligation to do so and I am forced by a court of law's decision. Otherwise no go.

pizza guy
07-27-2006, 12:12 AM
ns1.gannett.com internet address = 159.54.63.153
ns2.gannett.com internet address = 167.8.95.153
ns3.gannett.com internet address = 159.54.158.153
ns4.gannett.com internet address = 209.97.12.153

Which are only their WEBservers, not one of them WILL be used to connect to this board, in fact, no matter what connection they have ppl will connect from a masked, boxstandard local provider IP for all purposes.

Does that mean they do not connect? No, but that is not something I am prepared to go public with.

I will tell no one who logs on this site, unless there is a legal obligation to do so and I am forced by a court of law's decision. Otherwise no go.

:tongue: :thumbdown Party pooper!

;)

RWB
07-27-2006, 06:52 AM

Another reason why PD is the absolute best independent team sports site on the internet.

Naptown_Seth
07-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Jay, I didn't even know there was a Tinsley island. I think I must be part of the Tailies and the rest of you are over at the JT hatch or something. Anyway, I'll walk over there as long as nothing untoward is going on when I get there.

Of course your anti-Rick, right? So that might get a bit awkward. :blush:

Robertmto
07-29-2006, 02:59 AM
Robertmto: The answer to PD Chemistry problems