PDA

View Full Version : Article from Pacers.com (i havent seen it posted)

Jon Theodore
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_moves_060725.html

BIRD LIKES ENERGY LEVEL OF ROSTER

By Conrad Brunner
July 25, 2006

Of all the lessons learned in the past two years, the most obvious and important was this: building the best team isn't just about amassing the most talent. It requires a combination of talent, depth, chemistry, leadership and intangible elements for the players to coalesce into a contending team.
The focus of the Pacers' offseason plan, at least in the public eye, has been an obvious shift towards more versatile and athletic players in order to play a more aggressive style at both ends of the floor. What has flown beneath the radar has been a consistent effort to acquire players that bring one particular quantity that makes it all work: energy.

Bird

"That's a big part of it," said President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird. "All of these guys play hard all the time. That's what we're looking forward to: having guys on the court that are going all-out every minute they're out there."

Though 38, Darrell Armstrong certainly fits the profile. A player of legendary passion, in games, on the practice floor and in the locker room, Armstrong was acquired from Dallas along with young forwards Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell Monday in a trade that sent Anthony Johnson to the Mavericks. Though clearly a reserve player at this stage of his career, Bird believes Armstrong will strengthen the areas of leadership, chemistry and intangibles.

"He's one of the nicest people in this league and a guy that plays with all heart," Bird said. "He's 6-1 and he probably weighs 135 or 140 pounds but he's got a lot of heart and he's always played well."

Tinsley

The trade of Johnson also clarifies the depth chart at point guard. The talented but oft-injured Jamaal Tinsley (who missed 112 regular-season games the past three seasons) is at the top, with Sarunas Jasikevicius, Armstrong, Greene, Marquis Daniels and James White all in line to play supporting roles.

"We're never finished and we're always looking to get better," Bird said. "But we feel Marquis Daniels has proven he can play the point. Orien Greene's a young guy with a lot of potential, plus we have Sarunas and James White.

"I've always seen Jamaal as our starting point guard because when healthy he's the best we have. He's shown he can be a guy who can lead this team on the court. But the fact is he's played less than 1,400 minutes the last three seasons and that's an issue."

The departure of Fred Jones, who is expected to sign a three-year, $11 million contract with Toronto on Wednesday, was not a blow to the team-building plan because of the depth already evident at shooting guard, particularly in the presence of Daniels, a three-position player in Dallas.

"We feel Marquis is a better fit with the way we're going with our team," Bird said. "He's got just about every skill. The only thing he isn't known for is shooting the 3-point shot but he does everything else well."

Harrington

And, as Bird has stressed repeatedly, he and franchise CEO & President Donnie Walsh have more than two full months before training camp opens to continue to tweak the roster. Widespread media reports suggest the Pacers are on the verge of acquiring Al Harrington in a sign-and-trade deal with Atlanta.

"You never know until a deal's done," Bird said. "We do have interest in Al but we'll have to see how things go."

Even if nothing else comes along, Bird is confident with the roster to this point. In addition to being able to play at a quicker pace, he sees the potential for better chemistry as well as a higher overall energy level.

"In the long run," he said, "we're going to be a better team."

----------------------------------------------------------------

No way does DA weight 135 or 140? That can't be true.

FSU-IU
07-25-2006, 03:36 PM
"I've always seen Jamaal as our starting point guard because when healthy he's the best we have. He's shown he can be a guy who can lead this team on the court. But the fact is he's played less than 1,400 minutes the last three seasons and that's an issue."

So the answer is.......?????????? Are they planning on Jamaal being the starter or not? Are they simply crossing their fingers? Has Bird ever publically addressed any attitude problems with Jamaal? Is there any real attitude problems with jamaal, or is that just in the media/fans minds? Bird had no problem calling out Jax about his attitude...just curious if he has ever said anything about Jamaal.

I find it interesting that none of the recent press ever really mentions Jax. Bird, lately, certainly is "pimping" Jamaal...hmmm.............trying to drum up a little interest in Jamaal?

Steve
07-25-2006, 03:55 PM
His comments on the Harrington deal seem a little suspect. Maybe there is a significant snag....

FrenchConnection
07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
His comments on the Harrington deal seem a little suspect. Maybe there is a significant snag....

What else could he say? Don't worry about this, Al will be a Pacer.

Unclebuck
07-25-2006, 04:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_moves_060725.html

No way does DA weight 135 or 140? That can't be true.

Well of course it isn't true, he was using a little hyperbole

Kegboy
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
"That's a big part of it," said President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird. "All of these guys play hard all the time. That's what we're looking forward to: having guys on the court that are going all-out every minute they're out there."

Well then Larry, you need to get rid of EVERY SINGLE PLAYER who saw the floor in the Phoenix game. If you don't know what game I'm talking about, ask Mark and Slick, cause they were sure *****ing up a storm after I left in the second half.

And yes, I know Austin came in in the 4th and actually tried, but, ironically, we traded him for someone who's coach questioned his aggressiveness. :hmm:

ChicagoJ
07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Is there any real attitude problems with jamaal, or is that just in the media/fans minds? Bird had no problem calling out Jax about his attitude...just curious if he has ever said anything about Jamaal.

Nah... its all in bball's mind/ vivid imagination.

:flirt:

ARTESTINMYHEART
07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
So the answer is.......?????????? Are they planning on Jamaal being the starter or not? Are they simply crossing their fingers? Has Bird ever publically addressed any attitude problems with Jamaal? Is there any real attitude problems with jamaal, or is that just in the media/fans minds? Bird had no problem calling out Jax about his attitude...just curious if he has ever said anything about Jamaal.

I find it interesting that none of the recent press ever really mentions Jax. Bird, lately, certainly is "pimping" Jamaal...hmmm.............trying to drum up a little interest in Jamaal?

The only attitude problem is the one which you perceive watching a game. There is no truth that Jamaal has an attitude problem towards the team.

vapacersfan
07-25-2006, 06:30 PM
The only attitude problem is the one which you perceive watching a game. There is no truth that Jamaal has an attitude problem towards the team.

Really? You can say this with 100% certanty?

Have you talked to Jamaal, all of his teammates, the coaching staff, and all of magagment?

ChicagoJ
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Far be it for me to defend something Sassan wrote, but the people accusing Jamaal of an attitude problem have also not talked to Jamaal, his teammates, the coaching staff, and all of management.

Further, the people in those positions have publicly commented on Jamaal without ever discussing an alleged attitude problem.

Now I'm not sure we can take Rick's or Bird's comments at face value - we'd see Artest get suspended/ benched for obviously doing something wrong in the first place and then their public statements would appear to be backpeddling or supportive so their positive comments don't mean much.

And Jamaal doesn't seem to talk much to the press. Unlike SJax, who does open his mouth too often and unintentionally provide lots of evidence of his attitude problem.

Bball
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Far be it for me to defend something Sassan wrote, but the people accusing Jamaal of an attitude problem have also not talked to Jamaal, his teammates, the coaching staff, and all of management.

No but I have watched Jamaal sulk off the court to the bench, intentionally ignore and walk thru a Kevin O Neil attempted hand slap and then be pulled down into a seat by Chuck Person (as JT tried to walk past him) for a 'talking to'.

That doesn't scream "team player" to me... and it certainly didn't appear it bothered him to 'dis' K O'N.

-Bball

PacerMan
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
And yes, I know Austin came in in the 4th and actually tried, but, ironically, we traded him for someone who's coach questioned his aggressiveness. :hmm:

Which COULD mean he wasn't as eager to set back picks on centers as much as anything else.
There was an obvious personality conflict there.

PacerMan
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
No but I have watched Jamaal sulk off the court to the bench, intentionally ignore and walk thru a Kevin O Neil attempted hand slap and then be pulled down into a seat by Chuck Person (as JT tried to walk past him) for a 'talking to'.

That doesn't scream "team player" to me... and it certainly didn't appear it bothered him to 'dis' K O'N.

-Bball

Didn't KO have some problems getting on with the players in general?

Anthem
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
intentionally ignore and walk thru a Kevin O Neil attempted hand slap
He doesn't like Kevin O'Neil? That puts him on par with, what, every other player in the league?

vapacersfan
07-26-2006, 05:07 PM
It's funny to me how as soon as people bring up Tinsley, they get jumped on.

There is a reason why there are numerous people who think Tinsley has issues, and there is also a reason they tend not to say anything here.

Of course we have not talked to managment or his teammates, but we are able to see what we see, and we base our opinions off of that.

You are correct though, I can only imagine how crazy it would be if he had S-Jaxs "inability" to keep his mouth shut to the press. Even if I am completly off my rocker and making all of this up (and Im not) he would still be in a lot of hot water since the man is able as reliable as my ex-girlfreind when I ask her to take my car in for an oil change.

Some of you act like you are the players agents or something and it is your life long duty to defend these guys.

I witnessed the same exact thing Bball saw, and I even remember sharing some PM's with him through out the season as these things went down.

Now walking through K.O. doesnt bother me, but when he plain does not want to stand up during timeouts because he has been taken out of the game by his coach, or when he brushed of all of his teammates as he is pulled for making a stupid play or for jacking up contunious 3 point shots when he is ice cold, please beleive I am watching.

Some of you may not like it, but the simple fact is body language does not lie. In my line of work we are trained to watch a persons body language just as much, if not more then what they are saying. You can say all the right things, but if you are truly unhappy then it shows.

Now dont get me wrong, I have a lot of things in common with his personality (I wish I had more in common with his game). I am a very quiet person who keeps to myself, and it is very hard for me to break out of my shell. I dont really want to go out of my way to make friends, and I'd rather not be the center of attention. With that said, you are still a part of a family, and you need to try to give a damn about your teammates and not act like a self centered little baby every time you get disciplined.

Granted none of this bothers me nearly as much as his "one-up-manship" where he breaks the teams offense in order to show up the other teams point guard, which normally hurts us, or his inability to stay healthy, but thats a topic for another thread.

CableKC
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
"I've always seen Jamaal as our starting point guard because when healthy he's the best we have. He's shown he can be a guy who can lead this team on the court. But the fact is he's played less than 1,400 minutes the last three seasons and that's an issue.

I don't know if it has been brought up yet....but I don't like the fact that Bird essentially has handed the starting PG spot to Tinsley.

I don't doubt that he is likely the best choice for the PG spot.....but given his track record and all the ups and downs we have had over the last season....I feel that he has to earn it. To me...he should fight for that starting spot in training camp...not just given the title by default.

BTW...this doesn't mean that I think that I think that Sarunas should start.....or that he's the right person to start...I'm just suggesting that given the instability of the PG rotation over the last year.....both players should be given the chance to win that starting spot....not handed it.

ABADays
07-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh - I have no problem talking about Jamaal "What If" Tinsley. I've been talking about his attitude since the second month of his rookie season.

Diesel_81
07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I don't know if it has been brought up yet....but I don't like the fact that Bird essentially has handed the starting PG spot to Tinsley.

I don't doubt that he is likely the best choice for the PG spot.....but given his track record and all the ups and downs we have had over the last season....I feel that he has to earn it. To me...he should fight for that starting spot in training camp...not just given the title by default.

BTW...this doesn't mean that I think that I think that Sarunas should start.....or that he's the right person to start...I'm just suggesting that given the instability of the PG rotation over the last year.....both players should be given the chance to win that starting spot....not handed it.

I agree with you. I just find it hard to believe that Bird/Walsh are willing to trust Tinlsey with the starting pg spot especially when we have unproven pgs backing him up in Saras and Green.

It also sounds like from the article that M.Daniels is going to see some minutes at pg, I'm wondering with all this talk about getting bigger that its just a smokescreen to get another guard most likely a sg who can handle and pass the ball like in the Mike Miller mold who can hit open shots and to share some of the ball handling responsibilities.

Jermaniac
07-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm so sick of waiting on this Al deal, I'm really worried that we wont get him.

3rdStrike
07-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I hope the Pacers back off on Al. Granger needs to start and he plays Harrington's position. Harrington is not a PF. Nor is he a difference maker. He's solid, but he plays a position that the Pacers don't need any more depth in. Nostalgia is not worth millions and potential draft picks.

As for Tinsley, I'm glad they're publicly showing confidence in him. That's what this team needs, a positive feeling going into the season. The players need to feel that the coaches believe in their ability. The last two seasons have been marred by chemistry issues. Every time the team lost Artest, you could just feel that the season was (for all intensive purposes) over. How do you think that made the other players feel? Do you think they were inspired by the media's pity and utter lack of confidence in their abilities? Even the coaches and management were at a loss.

This season, the players have to come together, to trust each other, and to play as a unit. It's difficult for that to happen when there is open competition and/or controversy over starting jobs.